Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Is ear piercing really too 'liberal'?

Can an earring for a man be a positive testimony?

• Yes, sometimes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, never

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Is it supposedly 'liberal' to let your son pierce his ears?

reba, from back a bit:

Growing up pentecostal in the 50s almost everything was sin.... Ear piercing was a SIN so the ladies wore clipons... Some how lipstick was a sin and RED lip stick was worser sin.

Praise God for the liberty in Christ!

:amen

Ear piercing voucher: widely appropriate Christmas gift for young relatives, friends?

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:tongueunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:biggrinontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> As the 'whatever will I get them?' season approaches, panic sets in; but for any younger relative or friend (if under 18, assuming there is parental agreement, I guess), I'm wondering if the ear piercing voucher is a great, versatile and widely suitable gift idea for young people that are likely to want it, female or male?

I guess that there's no need to be panic stricken about what to buy them; there are some staple diets that nearly always go down well with young people, I guess.

As aquamarinesky54 said on the other thread:

My mom has multiples and couldn't deny me mine when I asked for them since it'd be hypocritical of her. :lol And my sister had them in high school, but they were irritating her skin, so she stopped wearing them. I think she was just wearing a cheap metal, but... :shrug

I know that when I'm around men with piercings I generally don't notice it until I have to look at them to talk with them, and even then, I think nothing of it. I'm just "meh" about it, and I feel society is too.

..I'm triple pierced in my earlobes and have one cartilage piercing. I always wear something in them.

(Folks' two cents'?)

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Re: Ear piercing voucher: widely appropriate Christmas gift for young relatives, frie

Or maybe folk don't like the idea? because it seems that it would be hugely popular, anyway.

LOL Yes and what young man would want to be lead around by a ring in his nose??!!

Deborah13:

Actually the person, Zion personified, to whom God gave a nose ring (yes, it's in Ezekiel 16.12) was a woman...

(Maybe the Fundie preachers should take note...)

Yike, now I'm seriously thinking about this, pierced ears.

I was informed two days ago that my four year old granddaughter just got her ears pierced. She asked her mom if she could and my daughter told her she had to ask her dad. I couldn't believe he said yes, he's quite conservative. I'm guessing he sees it as a minor thing and just a way to wear jewelry. She has little friends in preschool with pierced ears. You choose your battles and decide what is relevant.

Deborah13:

Actually the person, Zion personified, to whom God gave a nose ring (yes, it's in Ezekiel 16.12) was a woman...

(Maybe the Fundie preachers should take note...)

The nation of Israel, the bride?

Yike, now I'm seriously thinking about this, pierced ears.

I was informed two days ago that my four year old granddaughter just got her ears pierced. She asked her mom if she could and my daughter told her she had to ask her dad. I couldn't believe he said yes, he's quite conservative. I'm guessing he sees it as a minor thing and just a way to wear jewelry. She has little friends in preschool with pierced ears. You choose your battles and decide what is relevant.

Hi there, Deborah13:

You're 'seriously thinking about'; sorry, did you mean, the subject has been on your mind lately? or did you mean, you are considering piercing your ears?

(Didn't quite follow your meaning, sorry.)

Re. granddaughter, I guess it's far from unusual; as long as the parents are comfortable with it, I guess. (Don't be surprised, if ever you have a grandson, or maybe you already do; it wouldn't be unusual for him to want it, either.)

Re. Zion, I guess it's not explicit in Ezekiel 16, but for the Scriptures as a whole, commentators tend to refer to Israel as the 'wife of Jehovah'.

Blessings.

Hi there, Deborah13:

You're 'seriously thinking about'; sorry, did you mean, the subject has been on your mind lately? or did you mean, you are considering piercing your ears?

(Didn't quite follow your meaning, sorry.)

Re. granddaughter, I guess it's far from unusual; as long as the parents are comfortable with it, I guess. (Don't be surprised, if ever you have a grandson, or maybe you already do; it wouldn't be unusual for him to want it, either.)

Re. Zion, I guess it's not explicit in Ezekiel 16, but for the Scriptures as a whole, commentators tend to refer to Israel as the 'wife of Jehovah'.

Blessings.

I have pierced ears and so do my daughters but not my son. It just wouldn't fit his personality. But I have six grandchildren, 4 are boys. I would not have pierced the ears of one so young as four.
My mom left certain privleges to certain ages. Stockings only on special occasions at age 12, pale pink lipstick and nails at 13, no dating of any kind until 16, etc, etc. She said if you let a child do things at too young an age they had nothing to look forward to rather like getting a license to drive. Most of my class were wearing stockings to school by 12, etc. As I matured and had my own children I understood what she was saying.

So my yike and serious thinking was about what my grandchildren would want to be allowed to do.

I have pierced ears and so do my daughters but not my son. It just wouldn't fit his personality. But I have six grandchildren, 4 are boys. I would not have pierced the ears of one so young as four.
My mom left certain privleges to certain ages. Stockings only on special occasions at age 12, pale pink lipstick and nails at 13, no dating of any kind until 16, etc, etc. She said if you let a child do things at too young an age they had nothing to look forward to rather like getting a license to drive. Most of my class were wearing stockings to school by 12, etc. As I matured and had my own children I understood what she was saying.

So my yike and serious thinking was about what my grandchildren would want to be allowed to do.

Hi Deborah13,

I wanted to make sure my sigh was in response to what farouk said, and not what you said. farouk's smile tells me he understands.

farouk,

Though we disagree in our thinking, 'I love you man.' :lol

- Davies

Hi Deborah13,

I wanted to make sure my sigh was in response to what farouk said, and not what you said. farouk's smile tells me he understands.

farouk,

Though we disagree in our thinking, 'I love you man.' :lol

- Davies

Davies:

Disagree? :)

About Bunyan? :)

Pierced ears? :)

Blessings.

farouk,

I think we disagree with the use of our liberty, in tattoos, and piercings. But this is where the world falters. The world would judge a person for not conforming in every way. Our liberty, I believe, is a secondary issue, and so we can enjoy a level of unity that is rare these days, at least in my world. I hear stories of missionaries of going to foreign countries, meet other Christians, and the fellowship is instant. Don't worry farouk. God will straighten you out when we reach the Celestial City, well, He'll straighten us both out. :)

- Davies

farouk,

I think we disagree with the use of our liberty, in tattoos, and piercings. But this is where the world falters. The world would judge a person for not conforming in every way. Our liberty, I believe, is a secondary issue, and so we can enjoy a level of unity that is rare these days, at least in my world. I hear stories of missionaries of going to foreign countries, meet other Christians, and the fellowship is instant. Don't worry farouk. God will straighten you out when we reach the Celestial City, well, He'll straighten us both out. :)

- Davies

Davies:

I'm sure there is a lot of truth to what you say. (When you mention, disagree about piercings, you mean you think that for example ear piercings for men and boys aren't legit? for women and girls?)

I got a story:

Two guys, Bill and Joe, were walking across the Golden Gate Bridge and they started to talk.

When they discovered that they were both Christians, they both thought it would be really good to keep talking some more.

When they discovered that they were both dispensationalists, they exchanged email addresses.

When they discovered that they both listened to John MacArthur Junior on the radio, they decided to meet up again.

When they discovered that they both homeschooled their kids, they made arrangements for their families to spend a vacation together.

When Bill hesitatingly admitted that his wife had gotten a faith based tattoo, Joe replied, My wife has gotten one, too.

When they discovered that they had both spent a previous vacation at the same Christian Center in Florida, they started to arrange for their families to spend Christmas together.

When Joe happened to mention that he had recently taken his son to get his ears pierced, Bill replied: You heretic, and pushed Joe over the side of the Golden Gate Bridge.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there Deborah13:

Thanks for your response and explanation.

I think it's fair to say that for women, pierced ears - even multiples - are very widespread and it's not unusual for boys to have single piercings done, too, in one or both (often both) ears. Everyone is entitled to his/her preferences and opinions; for under 18s especially, it's the parent's call. It's basically a custom, and customs do develop over the years and generations.

I don't see that the issue has anything to do with Christian doctrine, though.

Blessings.

Hi there Deborah13:

Thanks for your response and explanation.

I think it's fair to say that for women, pierced ears - even multiples - are very widespread and it's not unusual for boys to have single piercings done, too, in one or both (often both) ears. Everyone is entitled to his/her preferences and opinions; for under 18s especially, it's the parent's call. It's basically a custom, and customs do develop over the years and generations.

I don't see that the issue has anything to do with Christian doctrine, though.

Blessings.

Nope, no doctrine involved.

Nope, no doctrine involved.

Well, exactly; while it's not necessary for Christian young men over 18 to pierce their ears, or boys to have it done even with parental permission, yet if Christian parents let them do it, or if young Christian men over 18 make their own decision to do it, then it's not problematic from a Christian doctrine standpoint, as I see it, anyway.

Whether it's a nice custom or not, is purely a subjective thing.

Blessings.

PS:

I have pierced ears and so do my daughters but not my son. It just wouldn't fit his personality. But I have six grandchildren, 4 are boys...

Deborah:

Well, I'm sure you guys know what's best for you all.

In families where moms, grandmothers, sisters have double ear piercings, some boys are also likely to think, Well, if they can have so many, maybe I could have at least one little ear-stud put in. But it's always the parents' call, right? Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back