Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Is ear piercing really too 'liberal'?

Can an earring for a man be a positive testimony?

• Yes, sometimes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, never

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Is it supposedly 'liberal' to let your son pierce his ears?

Actually, women started to have multiple piercings in their ears long before men started to pierce both ears.

It's a matter of personal choice. But it still makes men look like women, in my opinion, when they have both ears pierced. Bodybuilders or book worms, it doesn't matter the size or image of the guy.

Spring Waters:

Well, okay, your timeline observation is probably more accurate than mine, then; like you say, it's a matter of personal choice.

I guess it's very fair to say that multiple ear piercings for women are a very well established custom, anyway. Just by way of comment: if a mom and her daughter decided around 1979 to get extra holes put in, and the daughter was 25 and the mom was 47; now, the daughter would be 58, with possibly a daughter of her own in her 30s and a granddaughter in her teens, possibly both of them with multiple holes; and her mom would be 80: several generations for whom it has been the custom.

Maybe it won't be unusual for men to have had the both ears pierced look for some generations, too, before too long.

Whatever... :chin

Not sure what it proves, or doesn't prove ...

Blessings.

PS: also

..If the boy is under 18 and unemployed, they have to get the money for the piercing from some place. So if the parents who object are the source of that funding, there's not a lot they can complain about later since their cash enabled the behavior.

Spring Waters:

It's also true that a lot of parents are indeed willing to pay for him to have it done. It's quite a widespread custom and quite a lot of parents either think it looks good or are content enough for him to have it done.

Of course, whether is actually does look good, etc., is a subjective matter.

Oh yes, it's definitely a subjective matter. And just as people are free to choose to pierce their bodies others are free to opine about how that looks.
And some people think parents should rule the child. And some people let the child rule the parents.

louis.jpg

“Most Pierced Man" 2009 - Luis Antonio Agüero
230 permanent piercings
175 rings adorning his face alone.

Not-Bad-Piercings.jpg

Oh yes, it's definitely a subjective matter. And just as people are free to choose to pierce their bodies others are free to opine about how that looks.
And some people think parents should rule the child. And some people let the child rule the parents.

louis.jpg

“Most Pierced Man" 2009 - Luis Antonio Agüero
230 permanent piercings
175 rings adorning his face alone.

Not-Bad-Piercings.jpg

Spring Waters:

You made me smile :) .

Cool beans. :)
Because that second piercing picture still makes me wince. Eeegads! Can you imagine being her massage therapist?!
"Pardon me madam, would you please undo your ...erm...ribbons? " :shocked!

Cool beans. :)
Because that second piercing picture still makes me wince. Eeegads! Can you imagine being her massage therapist?!
"Pardon me madam, would you please undo your ...erm...ribbons? " :shocked!

Spring Waters:

Actually this kind of piercing (sometimes referred to as corset piercing) is not completely new. Some of the most mainstream and fashionable of women have long been partial to formal gowns for special occasions, characterized by bare backs, shoulders and low necks. In London and Paris in the 19th century it was quite common for chains to be worn horizontally with low necked gowns, the chains being attached to the skin through piercings; indeed, in the 1890s a Bond Street jeweler was known for this kind of piercing service that he frequently performed.

Whatever one may think, I guess it would in any case be widely acknowledged that earrings, for men or women, are without doubt tame in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whatever one may think, I guess it would in any case be widely acknowledged that earrings, for men or women, are without doubt tame in comparison.

Hi farouk,

Are you being conservative?

- Davies

farouk,

"Whatever one may think, I guess it would in any case be widely acknowledged that earrings, for men or women, are without doubt tame in comparison."

Yes, I think you're being a conservative fuddy dudd. lol

- Davies

farouk,

"Whatever one may think, I guess it would in any case be widely acknowledged that earrings, for men or women, are without doubt tame in comparison."

Yes, I think you're being a conservative fuddy dudd. lol

- Davies

Davies:

Actually I was referring to this, previous, post above:

Actually this kind of piercing (sometimes referred to as corset piercing) is not completely new. Some of the most mainstream and fashionable of women have long been partial to formal gowns for special occasions, characterized by bare backs, shoulders and low necks. In London and Paris in the 19th century it was quite common for chains to be worn horizontally with low necked gowns, the chains being attached to the skin through piercings; indeed, in the 1890s a Bond Street jeweler was known for this kind of piercing service that he frequently performed.

So, Davies, if you read it carefully, it was with this that I was inviting the comparison...

That is, when you consider what some Victorian ladies with their bare back and low neck gowns, were doing.

Blessings.

Davies:

Actually I was referring to this, previous, post above:

So, Davies, if you read it carefully, it was with this that I was inviting the comparison...

That is, when you consider what some Victorian ladies with their bare back and low neck gowns, were doing.

Blessings.

farouk,

I saw the attachment of chains to the skin, and said to myself, 'They were heathens.' Europe has always been the fore runners of what is liberal. America looks at Europe and says, 'You see, it's normal. We can do it too.'

- Davies

farouk,

I saw the attachment of chains to the skin, and said to myself, 'They were heathens.' Europe has always been the fore runners of what is liberal. America looks at Europe and says, 'You see, it's normal. We can do it too.'

- Davies

Davies:

Umm...maybe if you read Ezekiel 16.12...

Davies:

Umm...maybe if you read Ezekiel 16.12...

Maybe if they attached chains to their skin, they draw attention to Jesus. To use Ezekiel 16:12 is justification for what one does. That's poor hermeneutics.

- Davies

Maybe if they attached chains to their skin, they draw attention to Jesus.

- Davies

Davies:

I'm not actually advocating the practice of wearing those chains attached by piercings.

But if one looks at a passage such as Ezekiel 16, where the Lord Himself gives earrings, a nose ring, etc. to Zion, albeit symbolically, it's illustrative of God's imputed righteousness, received as a blessing by faith.

So it's hard to argue that these things in themselves are objectively wrong (even though it's the inward and spiritual that should mainly be cultivated, rather than the outward, certainly). So if Christian parents want to give their daughters ear piercings and earrings as gifts (for Christmas, etc.), it would be hard to argue it's unScriptural. And yes, if Christian parents want to give their son earrings, too, it really is their call, too. (My two cents'.)

Blessings.

Davies:

I'm not actually advocating the practice of wearing those chains attached by piercings.

But if one looks at a passage such as Ezekiel 16, where the Lord Himself gives earrings, a nose ring, etc. to Zion, albeit symbolically, it's illustrative of God's imputed righteousness, received as a blessing by faith.

So it's hard to argue that these things in themselves are objectively wrong (even though it's the inward and spiritual that should mainly be cultivated, rather than the outward, certainly). So if Christian parents want to give their daughters ear piercings and earrings as gifts (for Christmas, etc.), it would be hard to argue it's unScriptural. And yes, if Christian parents want to give their son earrings, too, it really is their call, too. (My two cents'.)

Blessings.

farouk,

You said it yourself, "albeit symbolically." People don't take it symbolically, thus we have the poor hermeneutic.

- Davies

farouk,

You said it yourself, "albeit symbolically." People don't take it symbolically, thus we have the poor hermeneutic.

- Davies

Davies:

...but the symbol there reflected actual practice.

As today.

(Hard to argue against.)

Blessings.

Davies: thanks for your further comment, but what did you mean?

Blessings.

farouk,

It's easy to decide not to get piercings as is practiced today.

- Davies

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back