Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Is ear piercing really too 'liberal'?

Can an earring for a man be a positive testimony?

• Yes, sometimes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, never

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Is it supposedly 'liberal' to let your son pierce his ears?

What says that being tattooed or having piercings done precludes a person from witnessing?

With regard to maybe regretting a tattoo later in life, I fully agree. Fortunately all of my tattoos were carefully considered before I had them done.
With regard to work, I teach English as a second language (and write freelance) to ages from 6 to 60 including many well to do families and two Thai army general's daughters. I wear long sleeved shirts most of the time but many have told me it's too hot and to roll up my sleeves if I want to. These aren't all Buddhist Thais about 50% are from different Christian Denominations.
Thankfully the culture here TRULY believes in knowing a person before assessing their character rather than their appearance.
Western culture seems to place so much value on appearances. What JUNK!

If Jesus walked through the middle of Perth or say New York today, he would be judged as homeless and unclean or worse because of his Robes and Sandals when in fact he has the most awesome home and Highest lineage ever known to man.

If people truly want to judge peoples character, intentions and motives purely by outward appearance why don't they start in front of a mirror..........................
Enuff from me because I'm clearly a biased pagan who has never witnessed to the poor, am selfish , want to be the centre of attention and so forth

Paul:

Sometimes people's tattoos themselves are witness-based, even; Scripture reference, etc.

Re. the main topic of the thread, do Thai men pierce their ears? or is it mainly Westerners?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, Farouk, Thai guys are increasingly Holey:toofunny especially gauges and diamond studs. It's not just the young guys either.There's a very popular actor here called Mum (nickname). He's early fifties,and in a recent interview on TV the reporter noticed his new accessory. Thai's tend to follow the trends of other countries (good and bad trends) especially the US which many young Thai's have an obsession about.
Also with Hip Hop and Metal becoming ever more popular here and the fact that many artists in those genres sport "adornments", the youngsters copy to be more like their favourite star. They're just like youth the world over. As I mentioned earlier, they are lucky that they live in a culture where they are not judged even a quarter as much as in Oz and other countries by a piercing or tattoo.
Personally, I've been stopped by both young and old, men and women who have taken me by hand to have a closer look at my arms and every time they have said "Suay Suay" (beautiful) I've done the same to Thai's when I've seen some great work.
(holding another man's or woman's hand isn't seen as Gay or promiscuous here, it's a term of friendship. It's not unusual to see two guys or girls shopping together holding hands with their significant other walking along beside them...sorry, got side tracked, but again judgemental types would straight away assume there's something sexual or "not right" by THEIR standards in that)
I failed tomention in other threads of the topic, that my Ephesians verse on my neck is in both English (left side) and Thai (right side) and has stirred Godly conversation with Thais:nod

Yes, Farouk, Thai guys are increasingly Holey:toofunny especially gauges and diamond studs. It's not just the young guys either.There's a very popular actor here called Mum (nickname). He's early fifties,and in a recent interview on TV the reporter noticed his new accessory. Thai's tend to follow the trends of other countries (good and bad trends) especially the US which many young Thai's have an obsession about.
Also with Hip Hop and Metal becoming ever more popular here and the fact that many artists in those genres sport "adornments", the youngsters copy to be more like their favourite star. They're just like youth the world over. As I mentioned earlier, they are lucky that they live in a culture where they are not judged even a quarter as much as in Oz and other countries by a piercing or tattoo.
Personally, I've been stopped by both young and old, men and women who have taken me by hand to have a closer look at my arms and every time they have said "Suay Suay" (beautiful) I've done the same to Thai's when I've seen some great work.
(holding another man's or woman's hand isn't seen as Gay or promiscuous here, it's a term of friendship. It's not unusual to see two guys or girls shopping together holding hands with their significant other walking along beside them...sorry, got side tracked, but again judgemental types would straight away assume there's something sexual or "not right" by THEIR standards in that)
I failed tomention in other threads of the topic, that my Ephesians verse on my neck is in both English (left side) and Thai (right side) and has stirred Godly conversation with Thais:nod

Paul:

Thanks for the very interesting information, Paul! :) Including about the widespread use of ear studs by men.

So it's not at all unusual for your wife, coming from Thai culture: the fact that her husband is so tattooed and pierced.

Great, too, that you've had good witness opportunities with the Ephesians verse in both English and Thai.

Blessings.

Not pierced any more / removed lip ring about 8 years ago and it has all but closed over

What I would add also is, that for a mom that wears studs/rings in second holes (as so many moms do, of course) it will be harder for her to keep denying her son even one little stud in one ear...

Blessings.

Re: Earlobe enlargements: who has them/ would consider them?

Nope, not my thing, but don't see anything wrong with it.
As for "excessive" being bodily mutilation, define excessive.
Excessive is objective. What is an excess to one maybe a deficit to others.

Nope, not my thing, but don't see anything wrong with it.
As for "excessive" being bodily mutilation, define excessive.
Excessive is objective. What is an excess to one maybe a deficit to others.

Paul, Well okay! You and your wife have been into body art/piercing a bit, but not this, then.

Blessings.

Earlobe enlargements
Nothing new
The Massai have been doing it for years. I remember looking at some of the photos as a kid in National Geographic. (black and pics though) So this topic caught my eye just now when it wound up on top of the pile.

masai2.jpg

masai1.jpg

..My eldest son did his own at a friends house at sixteen with ice and sewing needle. The only objection I had was lack of sterilization and the fact he felt he couldn't ask me to have it done professionally...

Paul:

You clearly don't object to the practice at all; and I guess you would think that it's often best for the parent just to take him to the mall to have it done, if he wants it (assuming the parent even has the opportunity, like you say...)

Blessings.

Yes Farouk, if the kid is determined to do it and is likely to do it sneakily, i think it would be better to take them to have it done professionally with sterile equipment, rather than at a mates house with a dirty needle and no disinfectant.

Yes Farouk, if the kid is determined to do it and is likely to do it sneakily, i think it would be better to take them to have it done professionally with sterile equipment, rather than at a mates house with a dirty needle and no disinfectant.

Paul: Yes, what you say makes a lot of sense. The thing itself is quite harmless, and it's just as well to do it in a sterile way, like you say.

(And these days they are likely to do both ears, right?)

Blessings.

What says that being tattooed or having piercings done precludes a person from witnessing?

Good night,

The edifying subject of piercings. Ahhhhh. I don't personally agree with getting piercings as a man. I do recognize that it is acceptable today, but I think piercings are a self-centered activity. It's unnecessary for witnessing. Piercings don't preclude a person from witnessing, and they contribute nothing to the legitimacy of one's testimony. Let a person use his freedom to glorify God, and if a person believes piercings glorify God, may God smile on them through the righteousness of Jesus.

- Davies

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:tongueunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:biggrinontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Danny63:
You were saying previously:
I have one in my left ear, had it since I was 9 yrs old. (my father was a rocker)
Now I have mixed feeling on this today, I see nothing wrong with it, but at the time I got mine 1972 my father was not saved and my mother was a new Christian.
I let my son have one at 16 but not before. That is just me.
I only keep it now because it has been in my ear off and on for over 30 + years, and in the ministry I am in my tat's and earing kind of help with my testimony.

Well, 16 seems quite a reasonable age, anyway. And it’s not unusual for moms to encourage their sons if they want to pierce their ear(s) [Often it’s both ears now.]

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Last edited by a moderator:

Good night,

The edifying subject of piercings. Ahhhhh. I don't personally agree with getting piercings as a man. I do recognize that it is acceptable today, but I think piercings are a self-centered activity. It's unnecessary for witnessing. Piercings don't preclude a person from witnessing, and they contribute nothing to the legitimacy of one's testimony. Let a person use his freedom to glorify God, and if a person believes piercings glorify God, may God smile on them through the righteousness of Jesus.

- Davies

Davies:

I agree with at least some of what you say. Fact is, there is a generation of young men out there, including many Christian young men, who have no memory of times when it wasn't widespread for males to do it.

So I'm not sure about the selfishness thing; if preachers' wives and daughters do it (and they do, big time!) and manage not to be called selfish in so doing, then young men for whom doing it is simply a natural thing - and harmless, too - ought to be reasonably free of such a label, too. (Two cents'; hope there is some reasonable logic to this.)

Blessings.

Earlobe enlargements
Nothing new
The Massai have been doing it for years. I remember looking at some of the photos as a kid in National Geographic. (black and pics though) So this topic caught my eye just now when it wound up on top of the pile.

masai2.jpg

masai1.jpg

Hi Potluck:

Yes, and I think that Massai women traditionally had the custom of shaving their heads, also.

Regarding the gauging custom in the West, however, it's my impression that, done at least to a moderate size, it's become regarded fairly mainstream among people who in other respects would not be seen as radicals or 'misfits', etc.

(I'm not advocating the custom, mind.)

Davies:

I agree with at least some of what you say. Fact is, there is a generation of young men out there, including many Christian young men, who have no memory of times when it wasn't widespread for males to do it.

So I'm not sure about the selfishness thing; if preachers' wives and daughters do it (and they do, big time!) and manage not to be called selfish in so doing, then young men for whom doing it is simply a natural thing - and harmless, too - ought to be reasonably free of such a label, too. (Two cents'; hope there is some reasonable logic to this.)

Blessings.

Hi farouk,

I don't think for a minute when preacher's wives, daughters, and son's?, get piercings that they are thinking about Jesus when they do it. It's mainly an exercise in vanity. It's a me exercise, unless you say a woman gets piercing for her husband; I don't think so. I think they look nice on women, but in a world where young people, who don't know when piercings were not a widespread practice among males, I think the practice among males bolsters liberality, and before you know it, we're bowing down to a caff. Is there a Biblical basis for getting earrings or piercings? If there isn't a Biblical basis for it, why would you use your freedom in Christ to get earrings or piercings? How does it promote looking to Jesus? I suppose if you had cross ornaments, you could use your piercings to start a witnessing encounter, the same as you everyone uses their tattoos. How about putting a pin on my shirt instead?

I understand your logic, but I'm a fuddy dudd who doesn't think the Ten Commandments are oppressive.

I can appreciate the differences of opinion, as it allows me to examine my motives for holding the views I have. I think the focus of talking about piercings is distracting, unless you can tell me how piercings glorifies God. Again, if someone thinks his piercings glorify God, may God bless them.

- Davies

Davies:

Interesting comments; thanks again for a thoughtful contribution. It used to be that for reasonably formal wear, in situations where men would expect to wear a necktie, women would expect to wear earrings. (This isn't just my opinion; it's quite a well-established and widespread perception. Rather than trying to find an acutely moral basis for earrings and neckties, I think I would put it in a Romans 14 situation of Christian liberty for believers to decide what is appropriate.) It might be argued that, for a woman, earrings are not strictly necessary in a formal, business-wear situation. Just as some could argue that for a man a necktie isn't strictly necessary. Well, I guess I would agree in theory; but also the widespread perception of what is appropriate does need at least to be taken into account.

Thus it used to be that young women would widely expect to acquire ear piercings; now it's not unusual for young men to get them also. (I guess I'm thinking from this angle.)

Blessings.

Davies:

Interesting comments; thanks again for a thoughtful contribution. It used to be that for reasonably formal wear, in situations where men would expect to wear a necktie, women would expect to wear earrings. (This isn't just my opinion; it's quite a well-established and widespread perception. Rather than trying to find an acutely moral basis for earrings and neckties, I think I would put it in a Romans 14 situation of Christian liberty for believers to decide what is appropriate.) It might be argued that, for a woman, earrings are not strictly necessary in a formal, business-wear situation. Just as some could argue that for a man a necktie isn't strictly necessary. Well, I guess I would agree in theory; but also the widespread perception of what is appropriate does need at least to be taken into account.

Thus it used to be that young women would widely expect to acquire ear piercings; now it's not unusual for young men to get them also. (I guess I'm thinking from this angle.)

Blessings.

farouk,

Piercing for the sake of culture can point to Jesus... I'm thinking... how about being all things to all men.
1 Corinthians 9:19-23

New King James Version (NKJV)

Serving All Men

<sup class="versenum">19 </sup>For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; <sup class="versenum">20 </sup>and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; ... <sup class="versenum">22 </sup>to the weak I became as<sup class="footnote" value="[d]">[d]</sup> weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. <sup class="versenum">23 </sup>Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

This could be a reason for getting an ear piercing. I'm talking about me getting an ear piercing. In my Christian freedom, this is one possibility. Another possibility, in a society where everyone follows the fad, I could use my Christian freedom to abstain from piercings. The same goes for clothes. I think this is the better approach, but while not trying to bring attention to yourself, you may find people asking, 'why don't you have piercings,' or 'why don't you where low cut pants?' I do agree with you that piercings do fall in the category of our freedom, but just because it is within our freedom, doesn't mean it's the best thing for us to do.

- Davies

farouk,

Piercing for the sake of culture can point to Jesus... I'm thinking... how about being all things to all men.
1 Corinthians 9:19-23

New King James Version (NKJV)

Serving All Men

<sup class="versenum">19 </sup>For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; <sup class="versenum">20 </sup>and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; ... <sup class="versenum">22 </sup>to the weak I became as<sup class="footnote" value="[d]">[d]</sup> weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. <sup class="versenum">23 </sup>Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

This could be a reason for getting an ear piercing. I'm talking about me getting an ear piercing. In my Christian freedom, this is one possibility. Another possibility, in a society where everyone follows the fad, I could use my Christian freedom to abstain from piercings. The same goes for clothes. I think this is the better approach, but while not trying to bring attention to yourself, you may find people asking, 'why don't you have piercings,' or 'why don't you where low cut pants?' I do agree with you that piercings do fall in the category of our freedom, but just because it is within our freedom, doesn't mean it's the best thing for us to do.

- Davies

Davies:

Interesting to theorize in this way; I'm sure there is a measure of truth and relevance to what you say.

Also, there is another way of looking at is, in a matter of fact way, that it's simply a benign custom, which seemed new once, but has become widespread: young men getting studs put in their ears, young women getting the almost 'compulsory' double holes, 18 year olds going to the tattoo parlor on their birthday, mothers and grandmothers getting the names of their children and grandchildren tattooed on themselves, etc.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back