Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Is ear piercing really too 'liberal'?

Can an earring for a man be a positive testimony?

• Yes, sometimes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, never

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Is it supposedly 'liberal' to let your son pierce his ears?

It's not really a thing of being liberal here .. It's more of a generation and lifestyle thing. I never paid attention to whether young christians have ear piercings more or less than other guys.
I should check everyone's ear lobes next time in church. :)
.. I really like tattoos and piercings..

PS: Claudya:

Yes, well over here so many men wear earrings and if they do it's usually both ears: ear piercing has become a widespread male activity, just as tattooing has become a possibly even more widespread female activity: 60% of clients who go to parlors in North America for tattoos are women.

My left ear has had a hole in it since 72, and sometimes I where a earring I ise to wear a hanging cross in it.

My left ear has had a hole in it since 72, and sometimes I where a earring I ise to wear a hanging cross in it.

Lewis W:

I guess it's sometimes a witness talking point with you.

Earrings used to be a mother-daughter thing - they still are!

But they are also a father-son thing in many families. Moms facilitate their daughters getting theirs, and dads often do the same with their sons'.

Not pierced any more / removed lip ring about 8 years ago and it has all but closed over

Paul:

Well, I see. You've mentioned your wife; has she had a lip ring, too?

Blessings.

Jason: interesting...

Paul:

Blessings.

That's fascinating, Jim, but not logical. :lol

- Davies

Were you talking to me or to Jason...? :)

Hi farouk,

I think I was reply more to Jason's post. It was my treky years coming out of me. :)

Usually, when I'm making dumb jokes, my brain is tired.

- Davies

Hi farouk,

I think I was reply more to Jason's post. It was my treky years coming out of me. :)

Usually, when I'm making dumb jokes, my brain is tired.

- Davies

Hey, Davies, do keep it up. I enjoy your contributions.

Blessings.

Hi Farouk. Thayanee has never pierced anything except ears (once only)
Blessings

Hi Farouk. Thayanee has never pierced anything except ears (once only)
Blessings

Paul: Fine. Seems like in North America many women that are tattooed would also be multi-pierced, but it's an individual thing, of course, and would vary from country to country, as well.

Blessings.

PS: I suppose your former lip ring would have been a bit more unusual in Thailand?

Paul:

Blessings.

and that image would be a sin, why? its the symbol of a diety that God judged in egypt. apophis and also then in that day, seth,or ra. ra later has a snake emblem.

and that image would be a sin, why? its the symbol of a diety that God judged in egypt. apophis and also then in that day, seth,or ra. ra later has a snake emblem.

j:

Well, I agree that if there is some linkage with idolatry in a particular culture, it should be avoided.

If you look at some Biblical descriptions, however, you may find that facial jewelry does feature; for example, in Ezekiel 16.12 the Lord is even recorded as giving Zion a nose ring. (The general context is of imputed righteousness which He puts onto Zion, but I digress a bit, I guess.)

(from earlier: )

I know that when I'm around men with piercings I generally don't notice it until I have to look at them to talk with them, and even then, I think nothing of it. I'm just "meh" about it, and I feel society is too.
.. I'm triple pierced in my earlobes and have one cartilage piercing. I always wear something in them.

PS: aquamarinesky54:

Yes, it's a very widespread custom and when for example moms have multiples in their ears, it's hard to deny a son even one little stud, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

farouk,

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead it should be that of your inner self,..." 1 Pet 3:3-4a

Granted he was takling to women but I think the jest holds true for men on the idea of wearing outward adornment as opposed to focusing on and enhancing the inner qualities for attractiveness.

JimJib:

Yes, indeed, the emphasis should be on cultivating inner qualities.

But one doesn't just become inwardly and metaphorically beautiful simply by removing one's earrings ...

Farouk,

have not thought of guy ear piercing as liberal or conservative. When i was your age it was considered rebellious. :biggrin .. :) I was your age a million years ago.....

It is just personal choice. The nice simple diamond looks good on most people

PS: to what reba said, back a bit:

I don't think it can be considered 'rebellious' now, though.

What with many moms that are glad to take their sons to the mall to have it done. (How could it be argued that they are rebelling against their moms?)

Yes, like you say, it simply looks good. It's a nice thing to do (if it's what they want to do).

So, yes, the icons :biggrin , :) are quite appropriate for the subject.

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:

do you understand what a nose ring is for? its used to keep pigs from rooting

but according to rashi that implies the torah, and arc.

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/16114/showrashi/true

LOL your Jewish background is telling....I never seen a pig with a ring in it's nose but it would certainly work they are notorious escape artists. However, a ring in a dairy breed of bull is farmiliar to me, put a hooked rod in it and a little person can lead a 2000 lb bull anywhere.

Just thinking, in the light of the other thread about trashing 'liberals': so many of the things that 'liberals', whoever they exactly are, are accused of, seem to boil down to subjective. cultural things. You know; 70 or 80 years ago, a baptist pastor's wife was supposedly 'liberal' if she wore lipstick. Now they all do (seemingly). But now another bugbear that some good folk seem to have is, if a young man is allowed to pierce his ears, then this is somehow an indication that his parents are 'liberal'. (Whereas the parents and the young man himself may well hold a very conservative, Biblical approach to matters of personal faith.)

Is it a matter of mindset?

I don't think boys piercing both ears is liberal or conservative. For pierced ears to qualify as liberal, I think it would necessarily entail no statistics showing boys from conservative families have pierced ears.

And as that won't be the case, I think the piercing is a matter of being a follower of a trend because their peers do it. And so as to look like everyone else those who are of a mind to want that for themselves follow along. So that then generates a copycat effect. While those who are independent minded don't follow along just because everyone else is. And that goes for any behaviors as juveniles or young adults.

If the boy is under 18 and unemployed, they have to get the money for the piercing from some place. So if the parents who object are the source of that funding, there's not a lot they can complain about later since their cash enabled the behavior.

And if the boy asked for money from his parents claiming it was for something other than piercings, because he knew they would not fund that, then his dishonor and poor character as a liar and sneak as well as a disobedient disrespectful child toward his parents wishes is something else all together.

If a boy wants to pierce both his ears and look like girls do in that regard, that's something they have to deal with.

I don't think boys piercing both ears is liberal or conservative. For pierced ears to qualify as liberal, I think it would necessarily entail no statistics showing boys from conservative families have pierced ears.

And as that won't be the case, I think the piercing is a matter of being a follower of a trend because their peers do it. And so as to look like everyone else those who are of a mind to want that for themselves follow along. So that then generates a copycat effect. While those who are independent minded don't follow along just because everyone else is. And that goes for any behaviors as juveniles or young adults.

If the boy is under 18 and unemployed, they have to get the money for the piercing from some place. So if the parents who object are the source of that funding, there's not a lot they can complain about later since their cash enabled the behavior.

And if the boy asked for money from his parents claiming it was for something other than piercings, because he knew they would not fund that, then his dishonor and poor character as a liar and sneak as well as a disobedient disrespectful child toward his parents wishes is something else all together.

If a boy wants to pierce both his ears and look like girls do in that regard, that's something they have to deal with.

Spring Waters:

Thanks for your very interesting comments.

When you say: 'I don't think boys piercing both ears is liberal or conservative', I agree with you, certainly. And, yes, it would be hard to 'prove' that young men from conservative families don't have pierced ears.

In one regard I don't think I'm in agreement with what you said; when you said 'If a boy wants to pierce both his ears and look like girls do in that regard'; actually, I think that you will find that doing both ears is what young men tend to do now, if they get earrings at all (while often women will get 2 or more sets put in). It's so widespread that it's not unusual. (Some young men would even argue that it adds to a 'tough guy' image.)

Thanks again for your comments.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back