Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Is ear piercing really too 'liberal'?

Can an earring for a man be a positive testimony?

• Yes, sometimes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, never

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Is it supposedly 'liberal' to let your son pierce his ears?

Spring Waters:

Thanks for your very interesting comments.

When you say: 'I don't think boys piercing both ears is liberal or conservative', I agree with you, certainly.

Hi farouk,

That's because the water mark of what constitutes liberal has moved sharply to the left.

- Davies

Hi farouk,

That's because the water mark of what constitutes liberal has moved sharply to the left.

- Davies

Davies:

What do you mean by 'left', in relation to earrings? left ear? right ear? :)

Blessings.

Davies:

What do you mean by 'left', in relation to earrings? left ear? right ear? :)

Blessings.

farouk,

Yesterday, at least in American culture, it would have been considered liberal for men to where ear rings. Then the times changed, the water mark moved, and it was ok to have one ear ring. We grew more liberal building on the foundation of what came before us, and now it's neither liberal or conservative for men to where ear rings. Who knows, what may be considered liberal today will be mainstream tomorrow.

- Davies

farouk,

I saw that! You got me. I read, 'What did you mean by 'left,' then I think I stopped reading the rest of the line and replied.

What's a matta you. Funny wise guy. (in my Chinese accent) lol

- Davies

farouk,

Yesterday, at least in American culture, it would have been considered liberal for men to where ear rings. Then the times changed, the water mark moved, and it was ok to have one ear ring. We grew more liberal building on the foundation of what came before us, and now it's neither liberal or conservative for men to where ear rings. Who knows, what may be considered liberal today will be mainstream tomorrow.

- Davies

Davies,

Okay, sorry, I couldn't resist the previous comment. :)

Actually you are right that customs do develop and change, but I'm not sure of the value of trying even to preserve supposed linkages with conservative men with no earrings and 'liberal' with them.

The inner, spiritual life, as believers feed on the Word is likely to occur among men both without earrings and with them, too. As I see it, if a Christian young man decides to remove his earrings, this is entirely up to him, but not very much related to his, inner, spiritual life, necessarily, in objective terms, at all. It also follows that if a Christian young man feels he can pierce his ears innocently, this is his privilege, too.

(Okay, so my latest post was a bit more reasoned than my previous one. :) )

Blessings.

farouk,

I saw that! You got me. I read, 'What did you mean by 'left,' then I think I stopped reading the rest of the line and replied.

What's a matta you. Funny wise guy. (in my Chinese accent) lol

- Davies

Davies:

Youse and Ise ougta stick together... :)

(Ear piercings or no ear piercings...)

Davies:

Youse and Ise ougta stick together... :)

(Ear piercings or no ear piercings...)

Amen! The reason for my Chinese accent is due to watching the movie called The Seven Faces of Dr. Loa. It was made in 1964. Tony Randall plays all of the seven main characters in the circus. Mr. Randall was an excellent actor.

Sorry this was off topic.

- Davies

Parents have the responsibility to raise their kids right. I don't think I'd allow a son to pierce either of his ears.

PS: re. what elijah said, back a bit:

Right and wrong are essential, yes. I don't think ear piercing and earrings are matters of right and wrong, objectively, though; more a question of what may be deemed appropriate in some circumstances.

As Paul said:
.. if the kid is determined to do it and is likely to do it sneakily, i think it would be better to take them to have it done professionally with sterile equipment, rather than at a mates house with a dirty needle and no disinfectant.

There are indeed times when, even if the parent might not particularly like the idea, it might well be the appropriate thing to do, for example.

Amen! The reason for my Chinese accent is due to watching the movie called The Seven Faces of Dr. Loa. It was made in 1964. Tony Randall plays all of the seven main characters in the circus. Mr. Randall was an excellent actor.

Sorry this was off topic.

- Davies

Davies:

Hey, no prob; I've been 'off' for years... :)

Blessings.

farouk,

You could say the opposite in terms of what elijah23 said. elijah23, in terms of piercings, is more conservative because he thinks allowing his son to have piercings would be irresponsible. Are you saying elijah23 is wrong? In this case, right and wrong is an essential element when considering piercings because of what someone believes. There is more than on aspect to think about. Anything done without faith is sin.

- Davies

farouk,

You could say the opposite in terms of what elijah23 said. elijah23, in terms of piercings, is more conservative because he thinks allowing his son to have piercings would be irresponsible. Are you saying elijah23 is wrong? In this case, right and wrong is an essential element when considering piercings because of what someone believes. There is more than on aspect to think about. Anything done without faith is sin.

- Davies

Davies:

What I'm saying is that it might be 'wrong for them', i.e., deemed inappropriate for them. Rather than their view uniquely linking into what is objectively wrong., if you see what I mean. (There is a difference; maybe lost on some; but I think there is a distinction.)

Blessings.

Davies:

What I'm saying is that it might be 'wrong for them', i.e., deemed inappropriate for them. Rather than their view uniquely linking into what is objectively wrong., if you see what I mean. (There is a difference; maybe lost on some; but I think there is a distinction.)

Blessings.

farouk,

What's important is not if piercings are objectively wrong or right, but love expressing itself through faith. So, I agree that piercings in and of themselves are not sinful, but we wouldn't say, 'I've got piercings. Get over it,' would we? Rather, if what I do trips my brother, than I forgo the liberty I have in Christ and I'm happier that I can love my brother in this way. But we shouldn't allow the brother who has piercings to condemn the brother does not, and the other way around.

- Davies

PS: So4P said recently:

None as yet, i'v never really felt the need I would probably only get bored of changing them I don't really see the point in having hols in my ears. But my brother had his done recently and I think he looks quite good.

It's not at all unusual and it's very widespread among young men, and knowing this, I guess having it done is to make the call that it looks good, as well.

Spring Waters:

Thanks for your very interesting comments.

When you say: 'I don't think boys piercing both ears is liberal or conservative', I agree with you, certainly. And, yes, it would be hard to 'prove' that young men from conservative families don't have pierced ears.

In one regard I don't think I'm in agreement with what you said; when you said 'If a boy wants to pierce both his ears and look like girls do in that regard'; actually, I think that you will find that doing both ears is what young men tend to do now, if they get earrings at all (while often women will get 2 or more sets put in). It's so widespread that it's not unusual. (Some young men would even argue that it adds to a 'tough guy' image.)

Thanks again for your comments.

To each their own.:)
However, when women's piercing of both ears predates men who have assumed the style for themselves, it's not a unique male marker. The appearance by the historic precedent shows that men are copying the style of women. How they deal with that is up to them.

To each their own.:)
However, when women's piercing of both ears predates men who have assumed the style for themselves, it's not a unique male marker. The appearance by the historic precedent shows that men are copying the style of women. How they deal with that is up to them.

Sping Waters:

Well, men have two ears, too :) . (And I think it would be possible to find examples from the East or the ancient world where men, too, would wear them in both ears.)

Actually, at around the time that some men in North America started to wear them in both ears, more and more women started to put in at least two pairs of holes. (You may well prefer the more traditional one each side. Actually there is something to be said for the simple, minimal, one stud each side. But then it's widely thought, too, that multiple holes are really classy, and even if the extra holes aren't always used, that it's a classy thing to be able to use them at least occasionally.)

Two cents'...

LOL your Jewish background is telling....I never seen a pig with a ring in it's nose but it would certainly work they are notorious escape artists. However, a ring in a dairy breed of bull is farmiliar to me, put a hooked rod in it and a little person can lead a 2000 lb bull anywhere.

Deborah: In humans, what you refer to would be called a septum piercing.

...In comparison with which, for a young man to get studs in his ears would be really tame and traditional, I guess ... :)

Deborah: In humans, what you refer to would be called a septum piercing.

...In comparison with which, for a young man to get studs in his ears would be really tame and traditional, I guess ... :)

LOL Yes and what young man would want to be lead around by a ring in his nose??!!

Sping Waters:

Well, men have two ears, too :) . (And I think it would be possible to find examples from the East or the ancient world where men, too, would wear them in both ears.)

Actually, at around the time that some men in North America started to wear them in both ears, more and more women started to put in at least two pairs of holes. (You may well prefer the more traditional one each side. Actually there is something to be said for the simple, minimal, one stud each side. But then it's widely thought, too, that multiple holes are really classy, and even if the extra holes aren't always used, that it's a classy thing to be able to use them at least occasionally.)

Two cents'...
Actually, women started to have multiple piercings in their ears long before men started to pierce both ears.

It's a matter of personal choice. But it still makes men look like women, in my opinion, when they have both ears pierced. Bodybuilders or book worms, it doesn't matter the size or image of the guy.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back