Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Is ear piercing really too 'liberal'?

Can an earring for a man be a positive testimony?

• Yes, sometimes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, never

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Stud, ring or pendant in ears: which?

Well, I just didn't know if it would be ok to wear them there or not because having not been in church I didn't know how they would feel about a guy wearing them. Turns out, it was nothing knew to them. The Vineyard (ours, anyway) has a motorcycle club, a car club and a prison ministry. They all do ministries for the Lord.

Well, I just didn't know if it would be ok to wear them there or not because having not been in church I didn't know how they would feel about a guy wearing them. Turns out, it was nothing knew to them. The Vineyard (ours, anyway) has a motorcycle club, a car club and a prison ministry. They all do ministries for the Lord.

Dave H.

Sounds like you guys have some great ministries happening there. Plenty to get involved with, right. It's quite a big church that you attend, then; a lot of Christians I know are in small churches; sounds like you guys must divide up for lots of various activities and unite for the full meetings, or whatever.

I guess the way I look at the stud/ring thing is that these days men can participate equally with women in ear piercing if they want to; maybe some of the earring designs might be different in some of the pendants, but the point is they can do it if they wish. Just like, I suppose, women have most definitely gotten tattoo equality with men, which they can participate in as well, if they want to. My two cents' anyway.

Blessings.

Well, I don't know if I would participate with the women in ear piercing. I mean, I'm not gonna wear those big hoops and the long dangling ear rings LOL, but, yea, there are studs and small rings (such as the "Mister Clean" type, which is what I wear) that are made just for men. Nobody really messes with me over it. Back in the day I didn't allow myself to be messed with! Now when it happens I just ignore it pretty much.

Well, I don't know if I would participate with the women in ear piercing. I mean, I'm not gonna wear those big hoops and the long dangling ear rings LOL, but, yea, there are studs and small rings (such as the "Mister Clean" type, which is what I wear) that are made just for men. Nobody really messes with me over it. Back in the day I didn't allow myself to be messed with! Now when it happens I just ignore it pretty much.

Dave H: By participate, all I meant is, women do it and now men do it, and have done for a long time now, and it's great and that's it. Yes, I agree that some of the designs are different between the genders. Is this what they call them, 'Mister Clean' earrings? is it the name of a manufacturer? maybe I should look them up on the Web.

I wouldn't be bothered with any criticism. (Just as women now go for tattoos confidently, which used to be mainly a male thing.)

Blessings.

I like to alternate between earrings but I typically prefer hoops and dangles. I currently need to get some more hoops though because the cheap ones my sister was letting me borrow (her ears are not pierced) fell apart.

I don't usually know the names of designer's but there is one designer at JC Penny's that has a style I really like, Liz Claiborne. My parents got me two pairs of her earrings for Christmas which I love and can wear with pretty much all my outfits.
f69c18087e174b82d588fe32ad524bb6.jpg

f8724e97a01448055a743fe003bdd566.jpg

I like to alternate between earrings but I typically prefer hoops and dangles. I currently need to get some more hoops though because the cheap ones my sister was letting me borrow (her ears are not pierced) fell apart.

I don't usually know the names of designer's but there is one designer at JC Penny's that has a style I really like, Liz Claiborne. My parents got me two pairs of her earrings for Christmas which I love and can wear with pretty much all my outfits.
f69c18087e174b82d588fe32ad524bb6.jpg

f8724e97a01448055a743fe003bdd566.jpg

Hi Rachel:

Yes, it seems that that bigger pendants are becoming more and more popular, including for business wear and church, even the shoulder huggers. Liz Claibornes aren't quite shoulder huggers, though, although it wouldn't surprise me if they introduce a new line of longer and heavier ones, as well.

(You said your sister won't pierce her ears; any reason why, do you reckon?)

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Rachel:

Yes, it seems that that bigger pendants are becoming more and more popular, including for business wear and church, even the shoulder huggers. Liz Claibornes aren't quite shoulder huggers, though, although it wouldn't surprise me if they introduce a new line of longer and heavier ones, as well.

(You said your sister won't pierce her ears; any reason why, do you reckon?)

Blessings.

Yeah, I think the longer ones are nice though I do not have any due to not wanting earrings that are too heavy and because I have a fear that the earring would be ripped out and it would really hurt. The fear is probably realistic for me because animals or a baby could pull on them or I could hurt myself, after all I accidentally jabbed a pen in my eye today (thankfully I was blinking at the time).

Well she actually wants her ears pierced but has other priorities on what she currently wants to buy. One of my other sisters had one of her ears pierced when she was six but the other gun messed up and by the time she had one pierced she was too scared to have the other pierced so they let the hole close back up. I actually only got mine pierced at four because they were trying to show her it was okay, but it did not work. She still does not like the idea of getting them pierced though and earrings are not really her style anyways.

Yeah, I think the longer ones are nice though I do not have any due to not wanting earrings that are too heavy and because I have a fear that the earring would be ripped out and it would really hurt. The fear is probably realistic for me because animals or a baby could pull on them or I could hurt myself, after all I accidentally jabbed a pen in my eye today (thankfully I was blinking at the time).

Well she actually wants her ears pierced but has other priorities on what she currently wants to buy. One of my other sisters had one of her ears pierced when she was six but the other gun messed up and by the time she had one pierced she was too scared to have the other pierced so they let the hole close back up. I actually only got mine pierced at four because they were trying to show her it was okay, but it did not work. She still does not like the idea of getting them pierced though and earrings are not really her style anyways.

Rachel:

Yes. The big, quality pendants are classy. Often the big pendants are worn with little, extra studs in a second pair of holes behind the first pair, which is also classy to do.

Often it's the case that with sisters if one has it done, they all have it done, but clearly it didn't happen that way in your family, anyway. Some moms are also keener than others to raise the issue, as well.

Blessings.

Re: Earlobe enlargements: who has them/ would consider them?

Nope, not my thing, but don't see anything wrong with it.
As for "excessive" being bodily mutilation, define excessive.
Excessive is objective. What is an excess to one maybe a deficit to others.

Paul: Well, I hardly think that a 10 or an 8 is excessive.

(Don't be put off by Potluck's photos that he posted! :) )

I did start another thread about plugs, anyway.

Blessings.

... Nobody really messes with me over it. Back in the day I didn't allow myself to be messed with! Now when it happens I just ignore it pretty much.

PS: Dave H:

Re-reading what you said, no one should mess with men because they wear earrings. Just like these days no one should mess with women who get tattooed, right?

(Whether there is a direct comparison, don't know, but maybe it's similar, anyway.)

Blessings.

Right. Good point. I assume there may be some people who do not approve of either (men wearing hoops or studs & women with tattoo's), but you are right, I never hear anything negative said either way, so I guess that's a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Right. Good point. I assume there may be some people who do not approve of either (men wearing hoops or studs & women with tattoo's), but you are right, I never hear anything negative said either way, so I guess that's a good thing.

Dave H:

Yes. :yes

It's been discussed a bit on other threads, too, but the tattoo equality which women have now achieved with men means when they want to they should be able to receive tattooing confidently (and especially since among Christians there is witness design potential).

Just as men should be able to have studs pushed though their earlobes if they want to.

So like you say, no need for anyone to mess with you because of your earrings, anyway! (Even in the Bible, some men pierced their ears, like the Old Testament bondservant that did so to show he wanted to serve his master willingly for always; a picture of the Lord Jesus as the perfect servant who went to the Cross, Philippians 2, Psalm 40, etc.)

Blessings.

Okay so best way to pierce ears?

Okay so Dave H and I were having a bit of a discussion about earrings. Which brings me to another question, I guess. Which is the best way to get ears pierced?

Just go to Claire's and have them done with a gun?

Or better to go to a 'proper' piercing parlor where they do it thoroughly with needle and forceps, and so forth? It will cost more, but it will be done thoroughly.

(Is this important? Dunno.

But it's topical, and of some contemporary relevance, anyway, I guess.)

Thoughts, guys?

Re: Okay so best way to pierce ears?

Well, for me, going to Claire's is not going to work. I'm 6-1 and 220 pounds, I shave my head and wear a gotee (not spelled correct). And Claire's is basically for the young female crowd. My first piercing I did myself with an ice cube and a needle. But since then I go to the parlors. I also have some tatts and the parlor is the best all-around way to go, I think. Unless you are a young school girl and then Claire's is "just for you".

Well, for me, going to Claire's is not going to work. I'm 6-1 and 220 pounds, I shave my head and wear a gotee (not spelled correct). And Claire's is basically for the young female crowd. My first piercing I did myself with an ice cube and a needle. But since then I go to the parlors. I also have some tatts and the parlor is the best all-around way to go, I think. Unless you are a young school girl and then Claire's is "just for you".

Dave H:

Thanks for your comments; and good to hear from someone that has had some relevant experiences: sounds like you have had it done a number of times, anyway.

Yes, I agree that mall kiosks and stores tend to be inhabited by very young women and it's not necessarily the environment where adult men fit in well, or even women slightly older than teens who have a more serious, long term interest in it.

Haven't checked the poll just now but sounds like your vote is for a resounding yes for the piercing and tattoo parlor; lots have opened up and there's usually somewhere now where folk who feel they need the service can go to, I guess.

Wanna rephrase that first option, there farouk?

I walked into Claire's one time some years ago when I was looking for a set of starter studs. I was wearing black jeans, boots, a black tee-shirt with the sleeves cut off and when I walked in everyone in the store seemed to freeze and stair at me. OOPS! I turned and walked out like I just walked into the wrong store or something - which that's just what I did - I walked into the wrong store! From that time on I stick to the parlors.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back