Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Scriptural Balance

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
God quite purposefully bound the flesh with indwelling sin and evil present. No choices eliminate that fact. This is why the flesh is and remains contrary to the Spirit.

The difficulties we "all" have is that we like to think that the entirety of ourselves is only in a good state/relationship with God in Christ. That simply isn't the case. God is Perfectly aligned with the Spirit in us and conversely aligned with the flesh, as an enemy. Gal. 5:17 exemplifies this conflicting relationship of the Spirit with the flesh.

Whether the flesh does an external deed of sin or not is immaterial. An external act of sin confirms and culminates the internal fact and proves sin has accelerated it's hold. But that didn't change the fact that sin is an internal habitation to begin with. Evil is in our conscience whether actualized externally or not. Anyone can consider their own thoughts and come to the conclusion, that adversity to the Spirit is a fact therein, whether or not an external action transpires.

I understand "why" preachers don't present these facts. It's not all that popular and doesn't sell well. The inherent pride of/in the flesh which is a result of sin dwelling in it and evil present with us really doesn't care to hear of it.

Nevertheless it is the truth.
God knew He was going to use the sin nature in man, thus everything taking place in the believer is suppose to occur (same for all). Yes, the flesh (not the physical body but the sinful nature) is present and it affects the believer, but always towards good by glorifying God due to the manifestation of His grace over the "old man," which is always greater than the sin nature (Rom 5:20). Thus we can always be assured of the undisturbed favor we have with the Father in Christ.

Yes, the flesh (not the physical body but the sinful nature) is present and it affects the believer, but always towards good by glorifying God due to the manifestation of His grace over the "old man," which is always greater than the sin nature (Rom 5:20). Thus we can always be assured of the undisturbed favor we have with the Father in Christ.

I would agree that the principle employed in the flesh is a contrast. An opposite. An opposer of the Spirit. This shows both Gods Dominion in Divine Superiority with the intention of Mercy, because of this contrast/conflict/opposition.

It is Divinely required. I would disagree on your sight that the flesh is favored however. There is no undisturbed "favor" for that which the Spirit is opposed to and against.

I would agree that the principle employed in the flesh is a contrast. An opposite. An opposer of the Spirit. This shows both Gods Dominion in Divine Superiority with the intention of Mercy, because of this contrast/conflict/opposition.
Accurately put!

It is Divinely required. I would disagree on your sight that the flesh is favored however. There is no undisturbed "favor" for that which the Spirit is opposed to and against.
Maybe we have a misunderstanding, the favor of God is always with the believer himself in the new nature, not the old, because though the sinful nature is in the believer, the believer is not in the sinful nature (Rom 8:9 - "flesh," not the physical body but "the old man,"; flesh in the NT nearly always refers to the sinful nature and not the physical body, which you may already know ).

Love To You

Repentance is a conformation that the wrong was not willful but rather undesirable.
-
NC,

A Catholic priest would tell you that during confession, 99% of the confession is all about "willful sinning".
"father i slept with that woman, father i stole that money, father i told that lie".. father i molested that little boy".
You are the first person ive ever heard explain that repentance is for sins that a believer didnt mean to commit.
Your unusual commentary about "repentance", does not seem to exist in reality.

Accurately put!

Maybe we have a misunderstanding, the favor of God is always with the believer himself in the new nature, not the old, because though the sinful nature is in the believer, the believer is not in the sinful nature (Rom 8:9 - "flesh," not the physical body but "the old man,"; flesh in the NT nearly always refers to the sinful nature and not the physical body, which you may already know ).

Love To You

I understand that the Spirit is against what is "in" the flesh, which is the sin nature. Not technically speaking, the flesh, but often described that way.

What I do point to is that the Spirit is both against and contrary to that which IS in our flesh. Gal. 5:17. Whether what is in the flesh is 'externalized' or not is somewhat irrelevant, other than when it is externalized it provides ever deeper forms of slaveship. But this does not mean that the working wasn't prior, internal OR that if not externalized, isn't still there, because it is still therein. Someone who may have never externalized a sin could be just as much the internal sinner as that working being externalized.

In this way we do have a Divine Savior/Divine Foe relationship. This is what I might term "scriptural balance."

Paul describes this as knowing the "terror" of the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:11
Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord
, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

This condition is also manifested in such scriptures as these:

Acts 14:22
Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

Hebrews 12:8
But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

Romans 7:24
O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Beneath this issue are deeper matters. Some eventually come to understand that the source of this conflict is spiritual (in the adverse sense of the term, disobedient spirit), specifically because we do engage adverse (disobedient) spirits in the flesh. Paul adroitly dissects this condition for himself, as exemplified by 2 Cor. 12:7, showing and proving that we do have an adverse (disobedient) spirit component in our own flesh that was not him nor is it us as believers, which is the source, the dark wellwater of indwelling sin (sin which is not forensic) and evil present with us.

And therein lies the adversarial component between the flesh/Spirit. When we "see" this aspect of this adversarial state, which IS internal, we can also see how Paul derived that he was the chief of sinners after salvation. 1 Tim. 1:15. Because Paul was not just looking at himself, but the adversary in the flesh. God in Christ IS OUR DIVINE ALLY. But He is also The Divine Enemy of our enemies.

Last edited:
-
NC,

A Catholic priest would tell you that during confession, 99% of the confession is all about "willful sinning".
"father i slept with that woman, father i stole that money, father i told that lie".. father i molested that little boy".
You are the first person ive ever heard explain that repentance is for sins that a believer didnt mean to commit.
Your unusual commentary about "repentance", does not seem to exist in reality.
A life of non-repentance is evidenced by sins that are continuously repeated which are "willfull sins" (Heb 10:26). Concerning priestly confessions, they deter the confessor from admitting the sins to God, unless they confess to God also.

Concerning Roman Catholicism, I believe it may soon be generally considered as a non-Christian religion, due to the admixture of anti-scripture doctrine, i.e. the sinless birth of Mary (Immaculate Conception) and a multitude of teachings that are contrary to biblical doctrine because they are man's teachings.

All religions that base salvation on any other source than faith in Christ's expiation opposes (many unknowingly) the Word of God, qualifying it to be anti-biblical, thus anti-Christian. This is not to claim that all in such religions are anti-Christian, just those who actually are not seeking the truths within the Gospel of Christ; and those in these groups who are seeking truth will be led out of the error and guided to truth. Truth not found is truth not sought!

This is not to bash Catholicism but only an attempt to present scriptural truth.

All religions that base salvation on any other source than faith in Christ's expiation opposes (many unknowingly) the Word of God, qualifying it to be anti-biblical, thus anti-Christian..
-
Yes, i agree with that..
And any teaching that tries to nullify or discredit Christ's expiation with subsequent repenting, or confessing, or keeping commandments, as a means to "stay saved".... has "done despite to the Spirit of Grace". Hebrews 10:29
See, any teaching regarding Soteriology that tries to add to it.... "repenting", "confessing sins", "doing good works", "enduring to the end", is become Hebrews 10:29.
This is the beauty of God's redemption plan:....its all free, and we do nothing to merit it or keep it.
Jesus gets all the credit, as He alone, earned it and died to do so.

A life of non-repentance is evidenced by sins that are continuously repeated which are "willfull sins" (Heb 10:26).
A life of no-repentance defines a non-believer. (No matter what church he/she may attend.)
Concerning Roman Catholicism, I believe it may soon be generally considered as a non-Christian religion, due to the admixture of anti-scripture doctrine,........ a multitude of teachings that are contrary to biblical doctrine because they are man's teachings.
Using that criteria, most of Protestantism my soon be generally considered a non-Christian religion due to the admixture of anti-scripture doctrine, and a multitude of teachings that are contrary to biblical doctrine because they are man's teachings..
This is not to bash Catholicism but only an attempt to present scriptural truth.
sure.
Because you're an expert on Biblical truth and you would never ever do any Catholic bashing.
right
Sorry, but you guys sound all alike.

Last edited:
Using that criteria, most of Protestantism my soon be generally considered a non-Christian religion due to the admixture of anti-scripture doctrine, and a multitude of teachings that are contrary to biblical doctrine because they are man's teachings..
I'm referring only to teachings that relate to receiving salvation (essential doctrine), which is faith in Christ and His atonement, the rest of Biblical doctrine relates to growth in salvation.

the rest of Biblical doctrine relates to growth in salvation.
That's true to a point. "The rest of" would indicate that there is no other teaching aside that which relates to "growth in salvation."

First, I see doctrine which relates to remaining in a state of salvation by being obedient to Jesus commands (Love God, neighbor, one another, enemies; let your good works be as a light which others will see, etc.) and by not turning one's back on the gifts of God which had been received.

Second, I see an inconsistency in that, salvation is a state of being; either one is saved or one is not saved. The idea of growth in salvation would require that some, who had experienced more "growth" would be "more" saved than those who had experienced less growth.

It seems to me that either one is born again or one is not and that there is no gradation to being saved.
Your thoughts?

iakov the fool

That's true to a point. "The rest of" would indicate that there is no other teaching aside that which relates to "growth in salvation."

First, I see doctrine which relates to remaining in a state of salvation by being obedient to Jesus commands (Love God, neighbor, one another, enemies; let your good works be as a light which others will see, etc.) and by not turning one's back on the gifts of God which had been received.

Second, I see an inconsistency in that, salvation is a state of being; either one is saved or one is not saved. The idea of growth in salvation would require that some, who had experienced more "growth" would be "more" saved than those who had experienced less growth.

It seems to me that either one is born again or one is not and that there is no gradation to being saved.
Your thoughts?

iakov the fool
True, redemption does not admit in degrees, you're either saved or not. The growth is related to your faith (i.e. weak--Rom 4:19; 4:1: Strong--Rom 4:20) and maturity conformation level in Christ's image. Good thinking and appreciate your pointing that out!

Back