Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should a Christian go to war?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Edward I liked how talked about exigent circumstances. Having faith and trusting in God is obviously good, however, I think your getting at what I'm about to say. Classik says to wait until the moment, but like another person stated in a post you may only have two seconds to make a decision. I believe God gave us a brain for a reason and he expects us to use it. We should never test God. If we are sick what do we do? ---We take medicine or consult a doctor we don't just lay around hoping the sickness will go away, obviously we pray but we don't test God. Another example, Do you lock your doors at night or just hope nobody will enter your home unwanted? No obviously you use the tools God gave you, you bolt lock the door. As it is written in Matthew Chapter 4 When Jesus was tempted by satan to throw himself off the temple and have the angels save him, he told him never to tempt God. Don't tempt the Lord and use the mind and the tools he gave you.

Thank you brother. You make a darn good point that I failed to touch on. Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. We are to have faith and this is a good thing, but we are also expected to walk it out. it's all over scripture. This should be obvious. We are not onlookers who do not participate in this life. We are the body of Christ. Christ is the head of course, but, hey, he needs an arm down here or His will may not be done.

Yeah buddy I lock my doors! It keeps the riff raff at a distance and slows them down. Buys time. There's a scripture...

Proverbs 27:12
12 A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself; but the simple pass on, and are punished./

This may not be the best scripture for this, but it is close enough. I'm eating so this is it for now, lol. A prudent man forseeth the evil, and does something, not just stand there. that's paraphrased of course but the wisdom encompasess more than is written. It does not say stand and pray, it says hide. But if there is not time to run and hide, then one must react. That's all there is to it. It's a nice thought that if you're attacked you can stand there and pray and God'll hit em with a lightning bolt, but uh...it doesn't work like that.

Jason many things in life are insulting, but wasn't I a paid hit man when I was in the Army ? I don't care how it sounds, but what is the truth of it ?

Come on lewis. it's not the same thing. That's extreme thinking and a huge unrealistic stretch.

Jason, that is the mind set of this individual, I am talking about overall. Aren't you paid to kill ?

Lewis, Listen I'm not quite reading you. Your signature says "Destroy ISIS" while you continue to insult Jason, calling him a mercenary. So what is your stance do you support the military or not? As Eugene stated above if you pay taxes you are hiring those soldiers or so called (hitmen) you talk about. So if a persons hires somebody to kill someone for them, who is more guilty? who is the killer? the hitman that pulled the trigger or the employer who paid him? Lewis I find your remarks very rude and condescending. Jason is as was I and currently am as Deputy Sheriff hired to protect and serve the citizens of the United States, not as a gun for hire to kill, yes sometimes soldiers kill but only in defense, but they also have vast responsibilities ranging from medics to mechanics, the main one being the defense of the citizens. So with that being said I respectfully ask, please don't insult those who are risking their lives for us all by calling them hit-men, many whom are God-loving Christians.

Come on lewis. it's not the same thing. That's extreme thinking and a huge unrealistic stretch.
I think we can leave Lewis to judge for himself what he was and is. I'm sure he knows better than anyone else.

I think we can leave Lewis to judge for himself what he was and is. I'm sure he knows better than anyone else.

Even if he believes that he was a hitman, it does not make it so. Men go into the military to serve their country. That it can involve combat does not make it a hitman job. Even in say, a sniper role. There's more to it than that and a hit man is nothing like a military person.

How many legs does a cow have?
Four.
Now, suppose that we call the cows tail a leg, now how many legs does the cow have?
Five.
Wrong. Four. Calling a cows tail a leg does not make it so.
(Abraham Lincoln)

Jason many things in life are insulting, but wasn't I a paid hit man when I was in the Army ? I don't care how it sounds, but what is the truth of it ?
you weren't paid to hit man. is the act of war an unlegal act?
NO, its not. there is a difference between what mercenaries do and soldiers.

I would harldy call the 1st continental army a band of mercaneries. the brittish paid the hessians to fight for them. that is why I get insulted.

Even if he believes that he was a hitman, it does not make it so. Men go into the military to serve their country. That it can involve combat does not make it a hitman job. Even in say, a sniper role. There's more to it than that and a hit man is nothing like a military person.

How many legs does a cow have?
Four.
Now, suppose that we call the cows tail a leg, now how many legs does the cow have?
Five.
Wrong. Four. Calling a cows tail a leg does not make it so.
(Abraham Lincoln)
Are we to assume that because we joined for a particular reason, that our friend also joined for that reason. He says he was a hit man. Maybe that is who he saw himself as. Perhaps he joined for reasons other than some of us joined for.

I know, that but for the love of a good woman, I, myself, might have gone on to follow such a path once I got a taste of blood.

Why ? Don't we get paid to kill as well as keep the peace ? I am a vet, I know what I was trained to do.

No. You're not paid to kill. You're paid to serve in a dangerous position. It may be that you would have to kill someone in the performance of your duties, but you're trying to make a connection that doesn't exist.

So you received training to kill efficiently. That doesn't make you a hit man. You may be able to go get yourself a hit man job due to your training. but it is not the same. There is no contract to go kill a specific individual for a pre set amount of money.

LEWIS, it is my wish to look back at my career and say I had no regrets and to be best nco I can be when I leave it for good. that is why im insulted. I have 8 stripes for service and two for combat on my asu.

if national guardsmen are hit men. well that.. yeah uhm conspiracies galore and well when im the role of restoring law and aid to civilians during disaster. im not being paid to hit any American.but too lawfully follow men appointed by the governor that are cops. ie like the centurion. cops cant be called hitmen.

Are we to assume that because we joined for a particular reason, that our friend also joined for that reason. He says he was a hit man. Maybe that is who he saw himself as. Perhaps he joined for reasons other than some of us joined for.

I know, that but for the love of a good woman, I, myself, might have gone on to follow such a path once I got a taste of blood.

Even if he had it in his head that he was going to be a hit man when he joined the service, that would not be the reality of it, it would be a fantasy within his own mind. It wouldn't make it the truth.

Soldiers are (supposed to) operate with conscience against targets that have a real military value to them. Hit men operate with no conscience.

im glad then if that is the case I didn't go to war with lewis then. but this may be the old army lingo. I will have to dig up cobwebs and see. sometimes as a joke we say that or we are paid to kill gentlemen this is our job.

Even if he had it in his head that he was going to be a hit man when he joined the service, that would not be the reality of it, it would be a fantasy within his own mind. It wouldn't make it the truth.

Soldiers are (supposed to) operate with conscience against targets that have a real military value to them. Hit men operate with no conscience.
I agree. And you may have well spoken. We do not know. There has to be a reason someone considers themselves to be what they were not.

If I go to war' what am I paid to do ?
fyi. I never killed any muslim. oh wait this is what I did.

I helped muslims indirectly by securing the teams on missions that would set up projects. or by resupplying the base that had those and other missions from it.
muslims helped. thousands. killed by hands 0.

its called rebuilding. we did that in many wars. the first example is the civil wars reconstruction days where the north occupied the south . I read up on that and it is as I thought to secure and restore law and order and to prop up the new state goverments so that a state could be readmitted into the union.

Jason you still have not gave me a answer, what was I paid every 2 weeks to do ?

You were paid to obey this oath.

I, .................., do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

:salute

You were paid to obey this oath.

I, .................., do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

:salute
There you have it

Jason you still have not gave me a answer, what was I paid every 2 weeks to do ?
you haven't gone to war. there was no war when you were in. which if I recall was after nam and before Granada. you weren't a sf, ranger or any of those that go places. so unless I am wrong, you were paid to be ready.

again not all of us are paid to kill. I was sent to do the function of rebuilding. if I had to kill it was in that mission of protection but not unless the orders changed to go after muslims. that wasn't my call and nor was it any order to do that . we weren't trained in that.

Back