Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study SO YOU THINK YOU ARE SAVED.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
A lot that is said here goes against everything i was ever taught about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and what the cross means. In the short amount of time that I've been here on this forum trying to find answers they only thing i have found consistently is condemnation, conflicting information, and confusion. I know that the people i have been speaking with love God and Jesus to the best of their ability so I'm not trying to down or dog anyone. All I'm trying to say is if that's how i feel and have seen what do others see. Why would anyone think they can find peace and love and understanding being a Christian. Blessed are the peace keepers for they will inherit the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are the meek. Those scriptures come to mind. What's right, what's wrong and how can we all be on the same page?. Why are there 50 different posts about the same thing all ending in a different answer and the same tired old arguments. I certainly don't know. All i know I'd when i read posts like these i don't feel encouraged, loved, or certain about who God is and what he wants.

You know Smaller, we're treading a thin red line here. Do you think man is totally depraved? Do you think even believers are totally depraved?

Nope. Technically speaking believers died they day Christ came into their hearts. It's problematic for us to "reckon" that fact, but that is the sight of the Spirit.

Romans 7:9
For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Colossians 3:3
For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

I know we're sinners, I know we sin - but how far are you willing to take this?

I don't think there is any doubt that the devil is totally depraved. That's kind of a big missing component that J. Calvin happened to miss in relationship to his own sin. Maybe he didn't see as good as he thought he did?

Am I as bad as Joseph Mengele or Hitler or Stalin?

See previous. I have no issues understanding that if the tempter tempts me internally that places the most evil thing that has ever existed in my mind to do so. And I also believe that's how Paul derived his sight of fact for himself in 1 Tim. 1:15. This is not difficult if you think about it. Was the devil in Hitler via temptations any better or worse than in anyone else? I'd say equal ground on this count for all flesh.

I know we have the sin nature - it's not dead. But we have it under control, it's power is diminished. If before I sinned 10 times a day, maybe now I have it down to just a few. Still too much for God, but it's the best I can do and Jesus will cover for the rest.

I also don't think anyone makes the tempter any better either.
The N.T,. tells us t put on Jesus as if He were a garment. Romans 13:14
We're to put aside all those traits it says are the deeds of darkness and do not THINK about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature. So we still have the sinful nature but we're not to THINK about it all the time.

I prefer honesty and find it quite helpful. And I don't think God can be against honesty, but FOR it.
We're to set our minds on higher ground.

If our mind was the only mind in play you'd have a point but that isn't the case. Tony Robbins may be the most positive guy around but if he had to stick a dose of honesty in his craw that he is a sinner and his sin is of the devil along with the temptations of same in Tony Robbins I doubt very much he'd even be able to speak that truth and be honest. He'll take the lie every time, so he can claim he only and ever thinks positively, which I know is just a common lie. So yeah, it's a bit of a conundrum to be honest.

Here's Paul's heart:

Romans 9:
2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.

I don't think Paul and Tony Robbins would get along all that well.

When we look at this wicked world in all it's sins and evils, that's really how we should feel. Like Paul. I mean who can be happy about sin, evil and death anyway? What's up with that? Is that happy delusional?
Maybe you think this is hypocritical thinking, but it's Paul saying all this.
Here in Romans Paul says not to be conformed to this world but to be TRANSFORMED by the renewing of our mind. If he says it, it means it must be possible.

I have no issues with honesty on these subjects. Even if it's detrimental to my flesh, because it is truthful sight according to the scriptures. And having honesty about it makes me very happy.

As for Luke 14:26 What exactly do you mean by that? Are you saying Jesus wants us to hate our mother and father? The 5th commandment says to honor your mother and father. Jesus meant that we're to love Him above all else. That doesn't mean you hate the rest, just that you love it less.

Pretty sure Jesus meant exactly what He said. I'm also pretty sure Paul hated the sin indwelling his own flesh and the evil present with him as well, seeing as how it's contrary to the Spirit. Gal. 517. This HATRED is mandatory to being Jesus' disciple and it is assuredly warranted.

I mean really, can we LOVE a VILE body? Phil. 3:21. To me it would not make sense to do so.
You speak of the three free wills.

No, I did not. I said there are 3 wills in operation. Gods/man's and devils. Only ONE of them is free in the truest sense of free. The other two, no. Not by comparison. The will of the devil is an opposite or opposing freedom. He can only do what is contrary to God. Free to be only evil if you prefer. I don't call that free. Our will is kind of caught up in the muddled middle. I mean really, we only see in part so how much free can we derive from part sight? Our life is hid with God in Christ. How can we be free if we haven't seen the end game yet? That's what HOPE is for. We hope for better, but we really don't know what that is yet.

1 John 3:2
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be:

If I'm saved, I believe the will of the evil one will break through every now and then,

Sin indwells the flesh and evil is present with us. These are not "sometimes" matters, but the perpetual state of the flesh.

but I intend to keep it at bay. The mere fact that I know about it will help me. Maybe God is the only one with true free will - but I intend to lean toward Him.

I have leaned to being honest about my flesh and the sin indwelling it and evil present. There is nothing wrong with seeing these things honestly. That is a reward of the Spirit, HONESTY. Some just don't have that reward yet. But it's a pretty low threshold to obtain it. But that particular honesty repels the flesh, so it's hard to drag ourselves into it because the flesh really doesn't want to hear of it. IT prefers DISHONESTY because it's contrary to the Spirit. And that doesn't change.

I don't want any more indwelling sin and evil present than I already have on hand, that's for sure. But I am cognizant that IF I am NOT honest before God in Christ about it, IT CAN get worse to drive home the point.

Last edited:
A lot that is said here goes against everything i was ever taught about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and what the cross means. In the short amount of time that I've been here on this forum trying to find answers they only thing i have found consistently is condemnation, conflicting information, and confusion. I know that the people i have been speaking with love God and Jesus to the best of their ability so I'm not trying to down or dog anyone. All I'm trying to say is if that's how i feel and have seen what do others see. Why would anyone think they can find peace and love and understanding being a Christian. Blessed are the peace keepers for they will inherit the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are the meek. Those scriptures come to mind. What's right, what's wrong and how can we all be on the same page?. Why are there 50 different posts about the same thing all ending in a different answer and the same tired old arguments. I certainly don't know. All i know I'd when i read posts like these i don't feel encouraged, loved, or certain about who God is and what he wants.

For the record I firmly believe every poster here is saved by Christ to the uttermost.

I don't know how I can see any better than that. Honestly.

I have highlighted some points of your post will you tell me what they mean to you? How you understand them?

Grace is unmerited favor. That favor is directed at whomever God see's fit. Usually when a believer is in a tough place in his/her life and God steps in and blesses that person that's great. The greatest example of grace is found in our Salvation. Christ died while yet we were sinners.
Hello Chopper,

Can you please post the scripture that says grace means unmerited favor?

A lot that is said here goes against everything i was ever taught about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and what the cross means.
I am curious about what you find here that is not according to the Word. The OP stated "This thread is all about how to live a true Christian life according according to will of our Heavenly Father."

A person cannot be a true Christian unless he or she is born again. In order to be born again one must not only believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, but also repent. Repentance means that the sinner turns away from his sins and idols, and obeys God in the power of the Holy Spirit. But Christians can and do sin, and must examine themselves constantly. No Christian achieves sinless perfection.

Can you please post the scripture that says grace means unmerited favor?
I'm sure Chopper will respond, but here is what grace means. Obviously it is unmerited, since no sinner deserves it:
Strong's Concordance

charis: grace, kindness
Original Word: χάρις, ιτος, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: charis
Phonetic Spelling: (khar'-ece)
Short Definition: grace, favor, kindness
Definition: (a) grace, as a gift or blessing brought to man by Jesus Christ, (b) favor, (c) gratitude, thanks, (d) a favor, kindness.

HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 5485 xáris (another feminine noun from xar-, "favor, disposed to, inclined, favorable towards, leaning towards to share benefit") – properly, grace. 5485 (xáris) is preeminently used of the Lord's favor – freely extended to give Himself away to people (because He is "always leaning toward them").

5485 /xáris ("grace") answers directly to the Hebrew (OT) term 2580 /Kaná ("grace,extension-toward"). Both refer to God freely extending Himself (His favor, grace), reaching(inclining) to people because He is disposed to bless (be near) them.

I'm sure Chopper will respond, but here is what grace means. Obviously it is unmerited, since no sinner deserves it:
Strong's Concordance

charis: grace, kindness
Original Word: χάρις, ιτος, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: charis
Phonetic Spelling: (khar'-ece)
Short Definition: grace, favor, kindness
Definition: (a) grace, as a gift or blessing brought to man by Jesus Christ, (b) favor, (c) gratitude, thanks, (d) a favor, kindness.

HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 5485 xáris (another feminine noun from xar-, "favor, disposed to, inclined, favorable towards, leaning towards to share benefit") – properly, grace. 5485 (xáris) is preeminently used of the Lord's favor – freely extended to give Himself away to people (because He is "always leaning toward them").

5485 /xáris ("grace") answers directly to the Hebrew (OT) term 2580 /Kaná ("grace,extension-toward"). Both refer to God freely extending Himself (His favor, grace), reaching(inclining) to people because He is disposed to bless (be near) them.
Post the scripture.

Many come here also, looking for answers, because they have been taught false doctrine all their life, and for the first time they are being exposed to what many other people in the body have been taught and are sharing.

Please share what you know, and ask questions, and learn what the bible really says.

How long have you known the Lord?

JLB

Peace: the peace of knowing they are saved, peace in life. Love and understanding : not being condemned for the things they've done wrong and life and knowing they are loved despite this by God and other believers vs reading post after post that they are evil wicked sinners and we deserve nothing and good hates who we are. (Often times Grace and mercy, love and understanding don't materialize in these posts ). Peace keepers : the folks who just love unconditionally knowing we are all sinners and each and every are responsible for their own walk and relationship with God and that we shouldn't withhold love because they are sinners.
Meek: Quiet, gentle. The ones that don't run around running their mouth just to hear themselves speak. The ones that speak only when they have something important to say and not a regurgitation of some condemning point of law. About the things that go against what I've been taught and believe do not just resonate in this post and you will have noticed i left out pointing the finger at who and what because it's not for me to argue with others. I simply noticed something and posed the questions so that the Holy Spirit may convict those he will or show me my errors. I have no issues with the OP and i love him very much in Christ as with all of you.

Last edited:
JLB

Do you note any difference between:
Being a sinner
Committing a sin
??

Wondering

I'm sorry JLB. I'm editing. I think I know what you mean.
God doesn't see us as SINNERS. Being a sinner is a problem of our "nature".
After we're born again we can't really be considered sinners anymore because Jesus calls us to transform ourselves and to not be conformed to the world. Is this what you mean?
Romans 12:2

A sinner is defined as someone who sins, as a lifestyle.

A doctor defines a person who practices medicine, as a lifestyle.

A Farmer defines someone who farms, as a lifestyle.

One must also take in the principle of; to whom much is given, much is expected.

Also, what Parent would punish an infant, because they pooped in their pants, or a toddler for making a mess, but the day comes when God does expect more from us, so there is also the principle of: the age of accountability [spiritually, as well as naturally] where a baby Christian is expected to grow just like a child.

The subject we are discussing, is "meat" and is not intended for baby Christians.

People who are young in the Lord need to be encouraged, and have a foundation of Love built into their lives, knowing fully that God loves, and will never leave them. Nothing can separate us from His Love... Paul calls it rooted and grounded in Love.

14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:14-19

Now that's beautiful.

However a person who has been in Christ for 20 years or more, more is expected.

Then we need to consider that sin, goes way beyond the ten commandments.

Here is the sin that brought death to the whole world...

Do eat from that tree.

Here is an example, that I have used in the past.

God tells you to go pass out tracts in front of the local crack house.

Instead you stay at home and bake cookies to take to the Church bake sale to be used in the fundraiser for the new building.

Now when you get to Church everyone praises you and thanks you for your generous offering for the new building fundraiser.

In reality, you just rebelled against God, and are actually "practicing witchcraft".

For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. 1 Samuel 15;23

Thank God, you are convicted and ask God to forgive you, and next time you go pass out tracts.

Are you a sinner?

No, you are a precious child of God and a saint.

Let's discuss this some more, maybe in a PM, so we don't derail Chopper's thread, anymore than we have already.

Be Blessed, woman of God.

JLB

One must also take in the principle of; to whom much is given, much is expected.

Also, what Parent would punish an infant, because they pooped in their pants, or a toddler for making a mess, but the day comes when God does expect more from us, so there is also the principle of: the age of accountability [spiritually, as well as naturally] where a baby Christian is expected to grow just like a child.

The subject we are discussing, is "meat" and is not intended for baby Christians.

People who are young in the Lord need to be encouraged, and have a foundation of Love built into their lives, knowing fully that God loves, and will never leave them. Nothing can separate us from His Love... Paul calls it rooted and grounded in Love.

14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:14-19

Now that's beautiful.

Do eat from that tree.

Instead you stay at home and bake cookies to take to the Church bake sale to be used in the fundraiser for the new building.

Now when you get to Church everyone praises you and thanks you for your generous offering for the new building fundraiser.

In reality, you just rebelled against God, and are actually "practicing witchcraft".

Thank God, you are convicted and ask God to forgive you, and next time you go pass out tracts.

Are you a sinner?

Let's discuss this some more, maybe in a PM, so we don't derail Chopper's thread, anymore than we have already.

JLB
Maybe we should all discuss this in another thread so we may all gain understanding.

This thread is about the Commandments of God (Theos) and Jesus (Christos)

First of all. For anyone who claims to be a Christian must believe, by faith that Jesus is God in the flesh. Next, a Christian must live their lives being obedient to the 10 Commandments in the Old Covenant as well as the Commands of Christ Jesus in the New Covenant (Testament).
Hi Chopper, This does not sound like what you have been teaching in times past. We all know (born again believers) that no man is justified by the law. We are under the Law of Christ (obedience through His Grace) The obedience is obeying the Spirit of the law that is written in our hearts through grace, not the letter of the Law through the flesh (pride).. We live our lives (born again believer) not by believing by faith, but by faith, trusting in Him and His word through the testimony of his Spirit in us . Obedience does not come by the flesh, but by the Spirit of Christ in whom we fellowship with. I'am not teaching here, I'am testifying on how He has work in me.

Hi Warrior4Jesus
The peace and love and understanding that comes from being a Christian comes from God via the teachings Jesus left us with - including the beatitudes which you bring up. If you live the beatitudes you will indeed have more peace because they explain perfectly how to have it by not adhering to world standards but to God's standards. I've always said that Jesus is the best psychologist ever. Just think that 2,000 years ago He said to love your neighbor as yourself. A common concept nowadays. How could I love anyone else if I don't love myself... Peace will not come from man...

There is no wrong here. There is only the right that we all believe in Jesus. We believe He's God and that he paid the price for sin and our sins. We believe He died to be our redeemer and that He was raised on the 3rd day. He has ascended into heaven and sent the Holy Spirit to be with us to guide us and help us so that we wouldn't be alone. Mathew 28:20

People come to God having lived a life. With different experiences and having gone to churches that teach different things. But none of those things will go against what I listed above. So one will think the sin nature is dead, one will think it's still in us - what's the difference? We all love God. You have to read your bible. You have to pray and allow God to speak to you. He'll make you understand Him in a way that is GOOD for you and in a way that allows you to be able to live a life for Him. This is personal revelation and maybe it shouldn't be shared with others - but we're here to talk and to learn. We could still hold tight to our own beliefs while learning about others. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

I'm new here too. I'm enjoying this!
God is a big God.

Wondering
BTW What were YOU taught about God?
Do you believe we're to keep God's commandments?

Post the scripture.
You're asking Malachi and Chopper to post the scripture that says that grace is not merited.

BOOKS have been written on grace.
Do you think we merit it?
Would you share YOUR understanding of what grace is?

Thanks.

Wondering

The moral laws are directly given by God, not by man, that were written on stone as He gave instruction for our conduct as in prayers and blessings, love and brotherhood, the poor and unfortunate, treatment of the Gentiles, Marriage, divorce and family, forbidden sexual relations, business practices, employees and servants, vows, oaths, swearing, Court and Judicial procedures, injuries and damages, property and property rights, Criminal laws, prophecy, idolatry and all its practices. All of these moral laws of God are found within the 613 laws.

There is no one that is righteous as all have sinned and fallen short of Gods glory as that is the fleshly nature of man. As a child of God He perfects us daily as we draw closer to Him, but yet we are not perfect, but being perfected. We do not seek to sin, but yet this flesh will mess up at times by allowing our emotions to take us over. It's like marriage, does God permit divorce; no he does not for what God has joined together as one flesh let no man separate it, Matthew 19:6. God joined man and woman together before sin entered into the hearts of man and woman, Genesis 2:18. Even with the laws God gave to Moses for the people, mans sin hardened hearts now turned to fornication, lust of self and covertness of others property including another mans wife. New laws were added continuously for the transgressions of man and this is how we got the law for divorce which was handed down by Moses in Deuteronomy 24:1-4.

1 Corinthians 7:10, Jesus commands the woman not to leave her husband and if she does she should remain unmarried, but in Malachi 2:10-16 the treachery that man commits against a woman which leads him to have an affair outside of the marriage or abuses the wife whether it be physical or emotional gives place to what was said by Moses in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 that if a woman is no longer pleasing to her husband then the husband should give his wife a written bill of divorcement and send her out of the house and this gives the woman the right to marry again, but she can never go back to her former husband if that marriage does not work out or her husband dies for now she is defiled to be with her first husband and this is an abomination to God. (A woman can also cause treachery in a marriage)

For a good marriage to work one should study 2 Corinthians 6:14 be ye not unequally yoked together with non-believers for what fellowship hath righteous with unrighteous, and what communion has light with darkness. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ then you need to choose a mate that also believes in the faith of Christ. In some marriages people do not enter into a relationship with Christ being the center of it, but maybe one of them come to know the Lord and the other one refuses to have that personal relationship with Christ then we go back to what 1 Corinthians 7:12-16 says. If the unbelieving partner leaves the believing partner then this frees the believing partner from the bondage of the vows of marriage and they are free to marry again.
Paul is saying 1 Corinthians 7:12-16
So do you adhere to what Paul is saying or what Jesus is saying?
Jesus said we're not to leave our spouse. Mathew 19:9 He said the divorce law given to Moses was only because men's hearts had become hard but that from the beginning man and wife was of one flesh.
(Deuteronomy 24:1) Mathew 19:8

Are you insinuating that Jesus made an exception regarding being unequally yoked, which is found nowhere in scripture?

Wondering

John 1:16-17
And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Romans 5:20-21
Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

How could we know the Grace of the Lord except through the knowledge of sin? For if you were sinless, then you would be in no need of Grace, and without Grace, how shall the Glory of the Lord be revealed in you?

Hi EZRider
Thanks for posting. All these scriptures are great.
I like 1 Peter 3:22
Angels, authorities and powers have been subjected to Jesus.
We have to make up our mind as to who is more powerful: God or satan.

For we wrestle not with flesh and blood but with principalities -
Ephesians 6.12

And those principalities are the powers spoken of in 1 Peter 3:22

The Creator (God) is always more powerful than the created (satan).
Mathew 9:22
Mathew 17:14-18
Mark 1.23-26

James 4:7 tells us the devil will flee from us if we hold fast to God.
And the bestL
1 John 4:4
Those with God have overcome the evil spirits because greater is He who is in us, than He who is in the world!

Wondering

Now that's beautiful.

Do eat from that tree.

Are you a sinner?

JLB

Well, actually, JLB, your reply goes right to the O.P.'s study.
Why did I stay home and bake cookies instead?
You're bringing up Mathew 6.1
If we do good deeds so man could see them, we have already received our reward - which is the compliments of man and their admiration. We would not be seeking God's admiration in doing His will and receiving His reward. I'm not sure what the reward is. It could be here on earth - just because when we do what God wills things turn out better in general. Or it could mean our reward in heaven - which I also don't really know what those rewards could be; maybe no one does.

Instead handing out tracts is more difficult to do. But it was the will of God. Which I did not do. Because it was too difficult. So, yes, it goes right to the O.P. And I had asked this before:
How much are we willing to do? Only to the point of our comfort, or do we go beyond that to keep the commandments? When we're feeling overburdened, is that us doing OUR will and doing more than we can? In this case we would not be relying on Jesus.
Mathew 11:28

Wondering

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back