Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The difference between the rapture and the second coming

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Kathi

The rapture is when Jesus Christ returns to remove the church(all believers in Christ) from the earth.The rapture is described in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 and 1 Corinthians 15:50-54.The second coming is when Jesus returns to defeat the Antichrist,destroy evil,and establish His millennial kingdom Revelation 19:11-16.
1)At the rapture,believers meet the Lord in the air(1 Thessalonians 4:17).At the second coming believers return with the Lord to the earth Revelation 19:14.
2)The second coming occurs after the great and terrible tribulation(Revelation chapters 6-19).The rapture occurs before the tribulation 1 Thessalonians 5:9;Revelation 3:10.
3)The rapture is the removal of believers from the earth as an act of deliverance ! Thessalonians 4:13-17,5:9.
The second coming includes the removal of unbelievers as an act of judgment Matthew 24:40-41.
4) The rapture will be secret and instant 1Corinthians 15:50-54.
The second coming will be visible to all Revelation 1:7:Matthew 24:29-30.
5)The second coming of Christ will not occur until after certain other end-times events take place 2 Thessalonians 2:4;Matthew 24-15-30.
The rapture is imminent;it could take place at any moment Titus 2:13;1 Thessalonians 4:13-18;1 Corinthians 15:50-54.
Why is it important to keep them distinct?
1)If the rapture and the second coming are the same event,believers will have to go through the tribulation 1 Thessalonians 5:9;Revelation 3:10
2)If the rapture and the second coming are the same event,the return of Christ is not imminent-there are many things which must occur before He can return Matthew 24:4-30.
3)In describing the tribulation period,Revelation chapters 1-19 nowhere mentions the Church.During the tribulation-also called"the time of trouble for Jacob" Jeremiah 30:7- God will again turn his primary attention to Israel Romans 11:17-31.

© Copyright 2002-2014 Got Questions Ministries - All Rights Reserved.
www.gotquestions.org - Bible Questions Answered -

Last edited by a moderator:
It is good to be clear about these distinctions. It all forms part of the overall scheme of interpreting God's Word, and of the question of who are particular passages talking about, whether the church or Israel, and this links with the distinctions also between Old and New Testament.

Blessings.

The rapture is when Jesus Christ returns to remove the church(all believers in Christ) from the earth.The rapture is described in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 and 1 Corinthians 15:50-54.The second coming is when Jesus returns to defeat the Antichrist,destroy evil,and establish His millennial kingdom Revelation 19:11-16.
1)At the rapture,believers meet the Lord in the air(1 Thessalonians 4:17).At the second coming believers return with the Lord to the earth Revelation 19:14.
2)The second coming occurs after the great and terrible tribulation(Revelation chapters 6-19).The rapture occurs before the tribulation 1 Thessalonians 5:9;Revelation 3:10.
3)The rapture is the removal of believers from the earth as an act of deliverance ! Thessalonians 4:13-17,5:9.
The second coming includes the removal of unbelievers as an act of judgment Matthew 24:40-41.
4) The rapture will be secret and instant 1Corinthians 15:50-54.
The second coming will be visible to all Revelation 1:7:Matthew 24:29-30.
5)The second coming of Christ will not occur until after certain other end-times events take place 2 Thessalonians 2:4;Matthew 24-15-30.
The rapture is imminent;it could take place at any moment Titus 2:13;1 Thessalonians 4:13-18;1 Corinthians 15:50-54.
Why is it important to keep them distinct?
1)If the rapture and the second coming are the same event,believers will have to go through the tribulation 1 Thessalonians 5:9;Revelation 3:10
2)If the rapture and the second coming are the same event,the return of Christ is not imminent-there are many things which must occur before He can return Matthew 24:4-30.
3)In describing the tribulation period,Revelation chapters 1-19 nowhere mentions the Church.During the tribulation-also called"the time of trouble for Jacob" Jeremiah 30:7- God will again turn his primary attention to Israel Romans 11:17-31.

1 Thessalonians 4 and 5 are clearly Second Coming scriptures, as it clearly describes the Church Coming with Jesus at the Resurrection.

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 4:14

The Rapture takes place AFTER the Resurrection. 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17

The Resurrection and Rapture is for All believers and occur at His Coming, and include both The resurrection of the dead and those who are alive and remain.
Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 1 Thessalonians 4:17

There is not one scripture in the entire bible that teaches a pre-trib Rapture, not one!

The Day of The Lord is when Jesus returns to take vengeance upon all who do not know God, and do not obey the gospel.
But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, "Peace and safety!" then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. 1 Thessalonians 5:1-4

The Day of the Lord DOES NOT come as a thief in the night for believers.

JLB

1 Thessalonians 4 and 5 are clearly Second Coming scriptures, as it clearly describes the Church Coming with Jesus at the Resurrection.

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 4:14

The Rapture takes place AFTER the Resurrection. 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17

The Resurrection and Rapture is for All believers and occur at His Coming, and include both The resurrection of the dead and those who are alive and remain.
Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 1 Thessalonians 4:17

There is not one scripture in the entire bible that teaches a pre-trib Rapture, not one!

The Day of The Lord is when Jesus returns to take vengeance upon all who do not know God, and do not obey the gospel.
But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, "Peace and safety!" then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. 1 Thessalonians 5:1-4

The Day of the Lord DOES NOT come as a thief in the night for believers.

JLB
You have a choice to interpret scripture the way that you want.I do not debate.I have just put out my interpretation.

You have a choice to interpret scripture the way that you want.I do not debate.I have just put out my interpretation.

Ok. Which point that I made do you not agree with?

The bible teaches that all are Resurrected/Raptured at the same time. At His Coming.

The bible teaches that Jesus comes once.

Did you know that?

JLB

Ok. Which point that I made do you not agree with?

The bible teaches that all are Resurrected/Raptured at the same time. At His Coming.

The bible teaches that Jesus comes once.

Did you know that?

JLB

There is a distinction between the Lord's coming in the air for His church and His coming in power and glory.

I see it as one the same. if a Hebrew that is saved now, is part of the church, what exactly is the difference if a Hebrew is saved in the trib? nothing. the location of ones place on the earth isn't revalant to ones eternal destination.

I see it as one the same. if a Hebrew that is saved now, is part of the church, what exactly is the difference if a Hebrew is saved in the trib? nothing. the location of ones place on the earth isn't revalant to ones eternal destination.

Well, I don't see the church in the Old Testament, and where the New Testament speaks in various passages about the Lord coming in power and glory on earth, I see the context as different from His coming for the church in the air (1 Thess. 4), etc.

I think Ms Kathi, above, raises some significant distinctions in the parrallels and opposites in the OP.

Blessings.

Well, I don't see the church in the Old Testament, and where the New Testament speaks in various passages about the Lord coming in power and glory on earth, I see the context as different from His coming for the church in the air (1 Thess. 4), etc.

Blessings.
ok after the cross, what exactly is a saved Hebrew?

ok after the cross, what exactly is a saved Hebrew?

what is joel's prophecy about then in chapter 2?

" and it shall come to pass in the later days that my spirit shall be poured upon all flesh.. that whomesever shall call on the name of the lord shall be saved" so that is about isreal?

and well its peter that said this came to pass in acts 2. if that wasn't about the church in prophecy then show me why its not.

jasoncran:

After Pentecost and before the Rapture, in the church.

Otherwise, a tribulation saint, later, it would seem.

Blessings.

still not able, both if that is the case are under what means of salvation? the law under moses? NO the blood. if its the blood show me how then im different then my family who live in the trib and do the same repentance act?

what is joel's prophecy about then in chapter 2?

" and it shall come to pass in the later days that my spirit shall be poured upon all flesh.. that whomesever shall call on the name of the lord shall be saved" so that is about isreal?

and well its peter that said this came to pass in acts 2. if that wasn't about the church in prophecy then show me why its not.

Yes, Israel; but there can also be multiple fulfilment of prophecy.

still not able, both if that is the case are under what means of salvation? the law under moses? NO the blood. if its the blood show me how then im different then my family who live in the trib and do the same repentance act?

jasoncran:

By the blood alone.

Blessings.

(I gtg to church now.)

jasoncran:

By the blood alone.

Blessings.

(I gtg to church now.)

then its nothing but a church. you futurist have made distinction where there is none. if "isreal" is in the millennium is the doing the same as we are supposed to know. what is the difference? none! I submit that lord cant love either group less. both are in the body.

Yes, Israel; but there can also be multiple fulfilment of prophecy.

uhm that was in the last days. since the cross, did the apostles believe that they might be alive when he returned? yup

paul says this.

"we that are alive at his coming shall be transformed in a twinkling of an eye"

we meant him and the first audience. so therefore he believed he would be alive at the return.

I believe the Rapture will be a sign to the Jews. In 1 Thess 5:5 it says that we are children of light. This phrase "children of light" occurs 4 times in the Bible and automatically makes me think of Gen 1:14(fourth day)

Back