Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Strong Delusion

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Nathan

I looked to see if this has been discussed recently and I can't see that it has. So why not study it? :)

A few recent threads sparked my thoughts on it, the coming of Christ, how close we are to the end, mark of the beast, etc.

2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you, brothers, not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by a spirit or a spoken word, or a letter seeming to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming. The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

What I found most interesting is the statement "because they refused to love the truth". You would think if this was your 'average' unbeliever the statement would be "because they refused to believe". That's quite often how its put for unbelievers.

But for some reason this is different, and is why God doesn't just leave them to their lovelessness, but actually sends a strong delusion. I think we pass over this all too often thinking its just a normal thing. However, when you look back through all the Bible you will notice that when God 'sends' something bad - its not a 'common' or 'normal' thing.

Its definitely most serious then. Whatever this strong delusion is, it can be rest assured its not 'normal' or 'unseen' or 'common'. Think back though, and one clue that can be known is that whenever God sent something(bad) the ones receiving it did not have a clue it was coming - or they laughed it off - did not give it a second thought. Which is no surprise really, after all, at least in this case its definitively called a "delusion".

On the flip side, the ones He told about it, knew it was coming, and knew it was going to be bad. Along those same lines, the people told about it were always quick to warn others.

So how do we go about studying this? Do you all think its something we can know? Any time God "sent" something in the past He foretold it before it happened.

I would say the best place to start is with what is already written. Why the strong delusion is sent. We know that. Even with that, you have to break it down into two sections. Why God sends it, and Why God sends it..... :) Ok, play on words - I admit.

Why God sends it(a) = Because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

Why God sends it(b) = So they believe what is false, in order that all might be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Your thoughts?

I would also add that until I looked into this, I read verse 1-12 as a chain of events.

Rebellion ---> Man of Lawlessness revealed ---> Takes seat in Temple ---> Strong Delusion

But after you read through it, and it helps to read through several translations, you see that the strong delusion is the cause of the rebellion/falling away. That rebellion is what brings in the man of sin, and adds to the wicked deception already taking place.

So the strong delusion is for the rebelling ones. Read it again. He sends it so they will believe what is false. Interesting. Thinking out loud here, this must mean that they are not fully convinced(but are at least somewhat thinking) that the lie is a true lie.

In other words, God sends them a strong delusion so that they are fully convinced of what is false - not just partially. That way, they can be rightfully condemned with all who did not believe the truth but have pleasure in unrighteousness.

No wonder this "rebellion" is spoken of more than a few times. I have often thought that it was just a generic event, but there seems to be much more to it.

Go read Isaiah 66.

I have to say, the more I read Isaiah, the more I see that he prophesied about the things of old to the things of the end. Almost like a whole Bible wrapped up into one book of the Bible. Besides Psalms, Isaiah is the most quoted book of the OT in the NT.

Isaiah 66:1-6
Thus says the LORD:
“Heaven is my throne,
and the earth is my footstool;
what is the house that you would build for me,
and what is the place of my rest?

All these things my hand has made,
and so all these things came to be,
declares the LORD.
But this is the one to whom I will look:
he who is humble and contrite in spirit
and trembles at my word.

“He who slaughters an ox is like one who kills a man;
he who sacrifices a lamb, like one who breaks a dog's neck;
he who presents a grain offering, like one who offers pig's blood;
he who makes a memorial offering of frankincense, like one who blesses an idol.
These have chosen their own ways,
and their soul delights in their abominations;

I also will choose harsh treatment for them
and bring their fears upon them,
because when I called, no one answered,
when I spoke, they did not listen;
but they did what was evil in my eyes
and chose that in which I did not delight.”

Hear the word of the LORD,
you who tremble at his word:
“Your brothers who hate you
and cast you out for my name's sake
have said, l‘Let the LORD be glorified,
that we may see your joy’;
but it is they who shall be put to shame.

“The sound of an uproar from the city!
A sound from the temple!
The sound of the LORD,
rendering recompense to his enemies!

In no particular order, here are the references to this rebellion that I know of. May be more?

1 Timothy 4:1-3
Now the Spirit expressly says that yin later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

2 Timothy 3:1-5
But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive,disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.

Matthew 24:4-14
And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.

“Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name's sake. And then many will fall away and betray one another and hate one another. And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end will be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

2 Peter 2:1-2

But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed.

Consider this also, we can see a close resemblance to this and what takes place in Revelation 13. From there on out there is a distinct separation between God's elect and satans followers.

So the rebellion seems very much like the 'line in the sand'.

Perhaps one of the strongest delusions is believing themselves to have eyes that see and ears that hear because they can read a book. Look at the example of the Pharisees. The possessors of the Law thought they had eyes to see, but they were blinded.

Perhaps one of the strongest delusion is believing themselves to have eyes that see and ears that hear because they can read a book. Look at the example of the Pharisees. The possessors of the Law thought they had eyes to see, but they were blinded.

I don't doubt that is 'a' delusion, but this is a specific kind. Like the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, etc. Its of "Biblical" proportions, not your run of the mill delusion.

It really seems to be a specific thing. I could see how false beliefs will attribute to it, and I think the delusion is a mental one - but it carries with it the act of doing something also. So not only will they believe what is false whole heatedly, their actions will follow suit.

It also comes from within the 'realms' of Christianity. Not an outside belief - not saying what you suggest is an outside belief.

Not only that, it will bring in/signal the rise of the man of sin. So it seems like a 'counterfeit' type of Christian belief.

I don't doubt that is 'a' delusion, but this is a specific kind. Like the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, etc. Its of "Biblical" proportions, not your run of the mill delusion.

It really seems to be a specific thing. I could see how false beliefs will attribute to it, and I think the delusion is a mental one - but it carries with it the act of doing something also. So not only will they believe what is false whole heatedly, their actions will follow suit.

It also comes from within the 'realms' of Christianity. Not an outside belief - not saying what you suggest is an outside belief.

I would like to draw a distinction between two phrases that you have used.

The first it the that the strong delusion is so that they would believe a LIE. But here you refer to it as false beliefs. I would draw a distinction between what is FALSE and what is a LIE.

The delusion begins and ends with the Law. The falling away is a falling away from FAITH to the working of the LAW. It is the Working of the LAW that exposes the Man of Sin.

Perhaps one of the strongest delusions is believing themselves to have eyes that see and ears that hear because they can read a book. Look at the example of the Pharisees. The possessors of the Law thought they had eyes to see, but they were blinded.
If, per chance, you rely on the Book and God has not and does not interact with you, you might want to see if you can find out why. Over and over God interacts with me and my family, proving the truth of the scriptures.

The first it the that the strong delusion is so that they would believe a LIE. But here you refer to it as false beliefs. I would draw a distinction between what is FALSE and what is a LIE.

The delusion begins and ends with the Law. The falling away is a falling away from FAITH to the working of the LAW. It is the Working of the LAW that exposes the Man of Sin.

I can see that being plausible. There is also a flip side to it, being completely lawless. Two sides to the same coin analogy.

Some translations use the word "lie" others "false".

If, per chance, you rely on the Book and God has not and does not interact with you, you might want to see if you can find out why. Over and over God interacts with me and my family, proving the truth of the scriptures.

If we keep in mind the subject of the OP, and what it seeks, then you might understand that it is to those who rely on the Book who are the ones subject to the strong delusion, whatever the doctrines of men that they hold to, the words of the Book will feed their delusion.

I keep going back to the wording Paul used when thinking about this.

"Refused to love the truth".

Is there a difference between loving and believing? What is "the truth"?

It really seems Paul is classifying two types of people. At the end it's not about "loving" the truth, but Paul says (do not)"believe" the truth.

If we keep in mind the subject of the OP, and what it seeks, then you might understand that it is to those who rely on the Book who are the ones subject to the strong delusion, whatever the doctrines of men that they hold to, the words of the Book will feed their delusion.

This makes very good sense considering the word "truth". The Gospel is truth, but if it were just the Gospel I am pretty sure Paul would have said that. So it encompasses all "truth", which is found in the Word of God.

A word study on "truth" would be good.

This makes very good sense considering the word "truth". The Gospel is truth, but if it were just the Gospel I am pretty sure Paul would have said that. So it encompasses all "truth", which is found in the Word of God.

A word study on "truth" would be good.

So, the "false" or "lie" is everything that is opposite of the truth.

Like Islam?

I don't think so personally. Islam is so far removed from Christ it's not even in the same realm of Christianity.

I believe it's false. And many are tested in their faith because of it. But it's no different than any other false religion. It's definitely a strong force being used by satan.

The writers of the NT and prophets of the OT indicate that it's directly related to Christianity.

That is a good distinction, and an excellent point and insight. Someone else mentioned that it's like the line drawn in the sand.

Isaiah 28 shows the division.

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

Isaiah 28:12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
Isaiah 28:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

See VS. 12? "yet they would not hear."

There's difference between reading and hearing.

Back