Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Strong Delusion

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
That is a good distinction, and an excellent point and insight. Someone else mentioned that it's like the line drawn in the sand.

Isaiah 28 shows the division.

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

Isaiah 28:12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
Isaiah 28:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

See VS. 12? "yet they would not hear."

There's difference between reading and hearing.
Interesting.

Isaiah indicates that those who are just 'reading' are ones who have not grown in the word of God.

28:9
To whom will he teach knowledge,
and to whom will he explain the message?
Those who are weaned from the milk,
those taken from the breast?

And then again;

28:23-26
Give ear, and hear my voice;
give attention, and hear my speech.

Does he who plows for sowing plow continually?
Does he continually open and harrow his ground?

When he has leveled its surface,
does he not scatter dill, sow cumin,
and put in wheat in rows
and barley in its proper place,
and emmer as the border?

For he is rightly instructed;
his God teaches him

Its not that God does not work among these people, but that He only does for so long. If they do not hear, learn, and understand it is not because God was not patient with them but because they would not receive the love of the truth. There is only so much 'breaking' of the hard heart that will be done before the seed is sown.

So 'love of the truth' is a key element here in the deception and before the strong delusion. So the strong delusion seems to be associated with the truth. Being the opposite of it, which is a lie and what is false.

But that's kind of a 'no brainer', anything not of the truth is a lie and false. The passage says that God sends it though, so it must be righteous and true - God cannot lie - which then drives them to whole heartily(not just reason with their minds, but show with their actions) to that which is false.

There is a warning to one of the churches in the book of Revelation that they should return to their first love, who is Jesus Christ. But Christ is not something we can easily comprehend, for it is said of him, that the chief cornerstone was also made a stumbling block. Those who find truth are built upon the cornerstone; but those who believe a lie still stumble at the stumbling block. And that stumbling block is Christ.

Psalms 69:21-24
They gave me also gall for my meat;
and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
Let their table become a snare before them:
and that which should have been for their welfare, let it become a trap.
Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not;
and make their loins continually to shake.
Pour out thine indignation upon them,
and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them.

Interesting.

Isaiah indicates that those who are just 'reading' are ones who have not grown in the word of God.

28:9
To whom will he teach knowledge,
and to whom will he explain the message?
Those who are weaned from the milk,
those taken from the breast?

And then again;

28:23-26
Give ear, and hear my voice;
give attention, and hear my speech.

Does he who plows for sowing plow continually?
Does he continually open and harrow his ground?

When he has leveled its surface,
does he not scatter dill, sow cumin,
and put in wheat in rows
and barley in its proper place,
and emmer as the border?

For he is rightly instructed;
his God teaches him

Its not that God does not work among these people, but that He only does for so long. If they do not hear, learn, and understand it is not because God was not patient with them but because they would not receive the love of the truth. There is only so much 'breaking' of the hard heart that will be done before the seed is sown.

So 'love of the truth' is a key element here in the deception and before the strong delusion. So the strong delusion seems to be associated with the truth. Being the opposite of it, which is a lie and what is false.

But that's kind of a 'no brainer', anything not of the truth is a lie and false. The passage says that God sends it though, so it must be righteous and true - God cannot lie - which then drives them to whole heartily(not just reason with their minds, but show with their actions) to that which is false.

Good post Nathan, and good verses.

There's something of a process within the scriptures it's part of growing, maturing and learning. A love for the truth is definitely key, as you said.

John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

God cannot lie, is exactly true. There's somewhat of a movement that I've seen and heard over the last five years or so, which I think is part of the strong delusion. Many are saying that there is no need for the bible. But the bible itself says that it is preserved.

Psalms 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Psalms 12:7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Isaiah 40:8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

Jesus is the teacher, as Paul said to the Ephesians,

Ephesians 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

The members of the early church were the same as Christians today and they were instructed to study.to show themselves approved.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Paul also spoke about the Bereans, who searched out every matter. I think there's great importance that we know the truth through prayerful study, and searching out every matter to see if it is so.

I know in my own studies, sometimes I come across something that might seem to be a contradiction, or something that is beyond my grasp.

I came across this verse early on in my studies, and it was like a "wow," moment for me.

John 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

When we study the word of God, there's a process and as we learn more is given.

Matthew 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

Check this out. That passage continues with this:

Matthew 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
Matthew 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

There's so much within the scriptures themselves, that I don't think that we ever put them down, but we work with what we have and continue in the word, as Christ continues to teach us.

Also, with the parables, there's one example that set the disciples apart from the masses. They always asked Jesus the meaning of the parables. Jesus said that He is the bread (manna) of heaven in John 6. the word manna itself means: From Strong's Concordance:

manna

From mah; literally, a whatness (so to speak), i.e. Manna (so called from the question about it) -- manna.

see HEBREW mah

The disciples sought out the answers directly from Jesus, the early church did as well, so do we.

I looked to see if this has been discussed recently and I can't see that it has. So why not study it? :)

A few recent threads sparked my thoughts on it, the coming of Christ, how close we are to the end, mark of the beast, etc.

2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you, brothers, not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by a spirit or a spoken word, or a letter seeming to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming. The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

What I found most interesting is the statement "because they refused to love the truth". You would think if this was your 'average' unbeliever the statement would be "because they refused to believe". That's quite often how its put for unbelievers.

But for some reason this is different, and is why God doesn't just leave them to their lovelessness, but actually sends a strong delusion. I think we pass over this all too often thinking its just a normal thing. However, when you look back through all the Bible you will notice that when God 'sends' something bad - its not a 'common' or 'normal' thing.

Its definitely most serious then. Whatever this strong delusion is, it can be rest assured its not 'normal' or 'unseen' or 'common'. Think back though, and one clue that can be known is that whenever God sent something(bad) the ones receiving it did not have a clue it was coming - or they laughed it off - did not give it a second thought. Which is no surprise really, after all, at least in this case its definitively called a "delusion".

On the flip side, the ones He told about it, knew it was coming, and knew it was going to be bad. Along those same lines, the people told about it were always quick to warn others.

So how do we go about studying this? Do you all think its something we can know? Any time God "sent" something in the past He foretold it before it happened.

I would say the best place to start is with what is already written. Why the strong delusion is sent. We know that. Even with that, you have to break it down into two sections. Why God sends it, and Why God sends it..... :) Ok, play on words - I admit.

Why God sends it(a) = Because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

Why God sends it(b) = So they believe what is false, in order that all might be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Your thoughts?

Yes, so many reject this passage as "irrelevant" because either this event is in the past, [preterism] or the Rapture of the Church will take everyone away from this.

Here is the scripture from the Old Testament about this very thing.

“If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, 2 and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, ‘Let us go after other gods’—which you have not known—‘and let us serve them,’ 3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the Lord your God is testing you to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 You shall walk after the Lord your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments and obey His voice; you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him. Deuteronomy 13:1-4

So many times when I share 2 Thessalonians 2, with folks, the part they have never really paid attention to was:

And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12

It's not the antichrist that sends the strong delusion, but God Himself.

• The place of this strong delusion is the Temple in Jerusalem.
  • The person of this strong delusion is the false messiah; the man of sin, the son of perdition, the lawless one, who works signs and wonders according to the working of Satan.

9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 2 Thessalonians 2:9-10

JLB

Last edited:
There is a warning to one of the churches in the book of Revelation that they should return to their first love, who is Jesus Christ. But Christ is not something we can easily comprehend, for it is said of him, that the chief cornerstone was also made a stumbling block. Those who find truth are built upon the cornerstone; but those who believe a lie still stumble at the stumbling block. And that stumbling block is Christ.

Psalms 69:21-24
They gave me also gall for my meat;
and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
Let their table become a snare before them:
and that which should have been for their welfare, let it become a trap.
Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not;
and make their loins continually to shake.
Pour out thine indignation upon them,
and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them.

That is definitely something that is repeated through the Bible.

But the strong delusion is something sent because they stumble at Christ. In order to 'seal' them in their unbelief because they refuse to believe.

I know in my own studies, sometimes I come across something that might seem to be a contradiction, or something that is beyond my grasp.

I came across this verse early on in my studies, and it was like a "wow," moment for me.

John 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

When we study the word of God, there's a process and as we learn more is given.

You know this is a strong point. I come across more and more 'new' believers(and old) that are quite content to not grow. I find it odd. I know that we are to be content in this world, but is content with just "being saved" a good thing?

I think most of the time it's because of what you alluded to. Because they start out and think "man, there is so much I do not understand" so they let it stunt their growth - they become choked out or die in the sun.

So none 'love of the truth' seems to be very much associated with none growth in it.

Yes, so many reject this passage as "irrelevant" because either this event is in the past, or the Rapture of the Church will take everyone away from this.

“If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, 2 and the sign or the wonder comes to pass, of which he spoke to you, saying, ‘Let us go after other gods’—which you have not known—‘and let us serve them,’ 3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the Lord your God is testing you to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 You shall walk after the Lord your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments and obey His voice; you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him. Deuteronomy 13:1-4

So many times when I share 2 Thessalonians 2, with folks, the part they have never really paid attention to was:

And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12

• The person of this strong delusion is the false messiah; the man of sin, the son of perdition, the lawless one, who works signs and wonders according to the working of Satan.

9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 2 Thessalonians 2:9-10

JLB

That's really a great point. God has always tested his people.

Deuteronomy 8:2 And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.

The word "prove," in that verse is also translated "test.."

The ESL version states it like that.

And you shall remember the whole way that the LORD your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments or not.

Genesis 22:1 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

It might be a good idea, (at least making a mental note of this myself.) To consider that with everything, there could be a test involved.

Reactions: JLB
Yes, so many reject this passage as "irrelevant" because either this event is in the past, [preterism] or the Rapture of the Church will take everyone away from this.

JLB

Right. That's what I am so interested in, because it is something sent from God.

It is actually a noun - delusion, that is. So its most definitely something specific, not generic 'unbelief'.

You know this is a strong point. I come across more and more 'new' believers(and old) that are quite content to not grow. I find it odd. I know that we are to be content in this world, but is content with just "being saved" a good thing?

I think most of the time it's because of what you alluded to. Because they start out and think "man, there is so much I do not understand" so they let it stunt their growth - they become choked out or die in the sun.

So none 'love of the truth' seems to be very much associated with none growth in it.

I hear you on that Nathan. I think once we get a taste of Christ teaching us through His word, there's no putting it down, and when we study, have you even noticed that there's always something that comes within the study that we have to look into?

Even with this topic and conversation, I keep thinking about all of the biblical warnings, in regards to being tested.

That's one of the things that I find to be amazing about God's word. It's like a well, and it never runs dry. There's always more.

This is also an interesting passage on the subject.

2 Timothy 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2 Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2 Timothy 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
2 Timothy 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

I've actually heard a few use that as an excuse not to study the scriptures. It in no way is saying not to study, but it seems to be more tied to what you said, and not having a love for the truth,

You used the example of the sower,, the seed is the word, it's supposed to spring up in our hearts. But some fall in diverse place, among the stones, and some are stolen away.

Luke 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Mark 4:15 And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.

Those verse are instructional like, "watching." for those things.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Last edited:
One thing that JLB pointed out is that sometimes this 'delusion' is thought of as already happened, or happening over a period of time. And while I do not doubt that its not an instantaneous event, but like the flood or the destruction of Sodom, it must be a profound event that takes place with a definite beginning.

Whatever it is, it is what initiates the 'rebellion' or 'falling away'.

"Rebellion/Falling away" - apostasia(noun) - a falling away, defection, apostasy - comes from the root word - apostasion - divorce, repudiation; a bill of divorce

I hear you on that Nathan. I think once we get a taste of Christ teaching us through His word, there's no putting it down, and when we study, have you even noticed that there's always something that comes within the study that we have to look into?

Even with this topic and conversation, I keep thinking about all of the biblical warnings, in regards to being tested.

That's one of the things that I find to be amazing about God's word. It's like a well, and it never runs dry. There's always more.

Yea, it can be hard because while you want to stay on topic, everything is linked together, so everything seems to be about the topic.

Yea, it can be hard because while you want to stay on topic, everything is linked together, so everything seems to be about the topic.
I added this to my last response in an edit.

2 Timothy 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2 Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2 Timothy 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
2 Timothy 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

I've actually heard a few use that as an excuse not to study the scriptures. It in no way is saying not to study, but it seems to be more tied to what you said, and not having a love for the truth,

You used the example of the sower,, the seed is the word, it's supposed to spring up in our hearts. But some fall in diverse places, among the stones, and some are stolen away.

Mark 4:15 And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.

Those verses are instructional like, "watching." for those things.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

It shows the value of study and knowing what the scriptures say so that we know what we're watching for, and we'll recognize it when we see it.

This is really an awesome topic.

I added this to my last response in an edit.

You used the example of the sower,, the seed is the word, it's supposed to spring up in our hearts. But some fall in diverse place, among the stones, and some are stolen away.

Those verses are instructional like, "watching." for those things.

It shows the value of study and knowing what the scriptures say so that we know what we're watching for, and we'll recognize it when we see it.

This is really an awesome topic.

So I was just thinking about what has been said, and how reverting from the saving faith to something else is the only way for someone to 'fall away'. This can be in two ways, going into the law or going into lawlessness. Those two 'seem' to be opposed to one another, so how could people be united in/under that same umbrella of delusion?

Then I saw your post and it dawned on me. "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof:"

So those who go into the 'law keeping' deny the power of Christ as sufficient to save them. Thinking they have to add to the 'truth'.

Those who go into 'lawlessness' subvert(deny in a positive way) the power of Christ that cleanses us from sin. Thinking that the 'truth' does not require action.

Seemingly two opposites that are linked by denying the power of God - one to save them, the other to enable them. One says I need to do something, the other I don't need to do anything. All under one umbrella of delusion.

So what is it that will unite these two false faiths?

So I was just thinking about what has been said, and how reverting from the saving faith to something else is the only way for someone to 'fall away'. This can be in two ways, going into the law or going into lawlessness. Those two 'seem' to be opposed to one another, so how could people be united in/under that same umbrella of delusion?

Then I saw your post and it dawned on me. "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof:"

So those who go into the 'law keeping' deny the power of Christ as sufficient to save them. Thinking they have to add to the 'truth'.

Those who go into 'lawlessness' subvert(deny in a positive way) the power of Christ that cleanses us from sin. Thinking that the 'truth' does not require action.

Seemingly two opposites that are linked by denying the power of God - one to save them, the other to enable them. One says I need to do something, the other I don't need to do anything. All under one umbrella of delusion.

So what is it that will unite these two false faiths?

I wish I had the answer to that. There are extremes in either case. I see the value in studying the whole bible,

Some seem to be into the legal side and ignore the NT, while some just study the NT and not the OT. I see it as being one book personally, and it all comes together.

I have met some, who (I'm not even sure how to say it.) Some seem to be caught up in the idea that being a Jew makes them closer to God? Some that I've talked with try very hard to be Jewish, but Paul makes clear in the NT who Israel is.

Romans 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
Romans 9:7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Romans 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

There's not a "act," in Christ, but real changes that take place in us.

Galatians 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Galatians 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
Galatians 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Paul said that Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him for righteousness. in that passage, is shows the power of God at work through faith. But I don't see it overriding the Old Testament either. I personally believe that we miss a lot when we ignore the first five books of the bible, but while understanding that faith is key, Believing God.

I also don't believe that faith negates the OT at all. I believe that we learn from every word.

But I don't have the answer for bringing that unity.

Last edited:
Paul said that Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him for righteousness. in that passage, is shows the power of God at work through faith. But I don't see it overriding the Old Testament either. I personally believe that we miss a lot when we ignore the first five books of the bible, but while understanding that faith is key, Believing God.

I also don't believe that faith negates the OT at all. I believe that we learn from every word.

But I don't have the answer for bringing that unity.
The author of Hebrews, based upon how he uses the OT verses that he quotes, would seem to indicate that it is impossible to REALLY understand the OT without viewing it through the lens of what has been revealed in the NT. This does not then render the OT irrelevant, but it illuminates the typologies all the clearer so that we can finally see the depth and breath of the typologies presented throughout scripture.

As a quick example, it is only looking back from the knowledge of Jesus' Blood shed on the Cross, that you can see the depth of God killing the animals to clothe Adam and Eve. Or the real meaning of the Passover Lamb. Or the animal sacrifices on the altar in the temple. And from this rich past, what more does this teach us about the Cup of Wine in the NT? And even the slaughter at Armageddon.

2 Thessalonians 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

What cause?
2 Thessalonians 2:10 ...that they might be saved.

2 Thessalonians 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

God shall send them strong delusion...

4106 delusion Definition:
a wandering, a straying about
one led astray from the right way, roams hither and thither
metaph.
mental straying
error, wrong opinion relative to morals or religion
error which shows itself in action, a wrong mode of acting
error, that which leads into error, deceit or fraud

2 Thessalonians 2:11
even/then/also
wherefore/therefore
the ground or reason by which something is or is not done...
Elohiym/God
to send
of them/he
working/efficiency <-in the NT used only of superhuman power, whether of God or of the Devil
deceit, to deceive, delusion, error
into/for
of them/he
to have faith <-to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing)
a lie/whatever is not what it seems to be.

They believe a lie that leads not to salvation, so why not send them a strong delusion to bolster their believe in the lie, God hath from the beginning not chosen them for salvation. 2 Thessalonians 2:13?

I looked to see if this has been discussed recently and I can't see that it has. So why not study it? :)

A few recent threads sparked my thoughts on it, the coming of Christ, how close we are to the end, mark of the beast, etc.

2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you, brothers, not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by a spirit or a spoken word, or a letter seeming to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming. The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

What I found most interesting is the statement "because they refused to love the truth". You would think if this was your 'average' unbeliever the statement would be "because they refused to believe". That's quite often how its put for unbelievers.

But for some reason this is different, and is why God doesn't just leave them to their lovelessness, but actually sends a strong delusion. I think we pass over this all too often thinking its just a normal thing. However, when you look back through all the Bible you will notice that when God 'sends' something bad - its not a 'common' or 'normal' thing.

Its definitely most serious then. Whatever this strong delusion is, it can be rest assured its not 'normal' or 'unseen' or 'common'. Think back though, and one clue that can be known is that whenever God sent something(bad) the ones receiving it did not have a clue it was coming - or they laughed it off - did not give it a second thought. Which is no surprise really, after all, at least in this case its definitively called a "delusion".

On the flip side, the ones He told about it, knew it was coming, and knew it was going to be bad. Along those same lines, the people told about it were always quick to warn others.

So how do we go about studying this? Do you all think its something we can know? Any time God "sent" something in the past He foretold it before it happened.

I would say the best place to start is with what is already written. Why the strong delusion is sent. We know that. Even with that, you have to break it down into two sections. Why God sends it, and Why God sends it..... :) Ok, play on words - I admit.

Why God sends it(a) = Because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

Why God sends it(b) = So they believe what is false, in order that all might be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Your thoughts?

Upon reading this, I was a little confused as to who you were speaking about, past Christians of future Christians. Here's what you said....

So, it looks to me that you're thinking that the event has already happened. But, this event if future. The following Scripture came to my mind as I was pondering your OP....
Rom 1:18 "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools"

This should be a very interesting thread.

If we keep in mind the subject of the OP, and what it seeks, then you might understand that it is to those who rely on the Book who are the ones subject to the strong delusion, whatever the doctrines of men that they hold to, the words of the Book will feed their delusion.
I'll say this and then drop it.
The scriptures are the Word of God and He has preserved it that His people have a reference to check thoughts and, perceived, Spiritual messages against and anything that disagrees with what God has said, is neither of God nor from God.

2 Thessalonians 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

What cause?
2 Thessalonians 2:10 ...that they might be saved.

2 Thessalonians 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

God shall send them strong delusion...

4106 delusion Definition:
a wandering, a straying about
one led astray from the right way, roams hither and thither
metaph.
mental straying
error, wrong opinion relative to morals or religion
error which shows itself in action, a wrong mode of acting
error, that which leads into error, deceit or fraud

2 Thessalonians 2:11
even/then/also
wherefore/therefore
the ground or reason by which something is or is not done...
Elohiym/God
to send
of them/he
working/efficiency <-in the NT used only of superhuman power, whether of God or of the Devil
deceit, to deceive, delusion, error
into/for
of them/he
to have faith <-to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing)
a lie/whatever is not what it seems to be.

They believe a lie that leads not to salvation, so why not send them a strong delusion to bolster their believe in the lie, God hath from the beginning not chosen them for salvation. 2 Thessalonians 2:13?
Te answer of what cause is found one verse earlier and reads in the KJV to be unrighteousness and failure to love the truth.

Upon reading this, I was a little confused as to who you were speaking about, past Christians of future Christians. Here's what you said....

So, it looks to me that you're thinking that the event has already happened. But, this event if future. The following Scripture came to my mind as I was pondering your OP....
Rom 1:18 "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools"

This should be a very interesting thread.

Yea, this is a topic I have never really studied before. So what your seeing is my brain at work........ever seen a really dirty construction site?

In the end I am sure it will all make sense - not that I am convinced that what the delusion is has already been revealed. I think it has in Scripture, but it has not yet been shown to me.

I see the delusion as an event - something that happens - not something that is happening. If that makes sense? The flood was an event. The rain came for a while, but the 'event' of the flood was a specific thing.

Unbelief, sinful actions, unrighteousness, etc are all things that happen each and every day - they are what puts these people in the path of God's delusion, but they cannot be the delusion themselves. Whatever this delusion is causes a great many to turn from faith - apostatize - declare a divorce. Its not a 'casual' falling away or a 'stumble' ooopppssssieeeee. Its a direct "rebellion" as some translations put it. Whatever the delusion is, its strong enough to cause this kind of circumstance.

Back