Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The theology of "soul sleep" any truth?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. (Mat 22:23-32 KJV)

Do you understand that Jesus was teaching that a person goes on living, after their body has died.

The point He made was, God declared Himself to be the God of Abraham when He spoke those words at the burning bush.

At the burning bush, God declared He was the God of Abraham, even though Abraham had been buried for 400 years, he Abraham was alive.

Jesus declares Abraham was alive in Abraham's Bosom [Paradise], in the heart of the earth.

How can you possibly not know this.

The Lord said He was the God of Abraham, at the burning bush; meaning Abraham was alive.

JLB

He declared no such thing. Look at the context, "as touching the resurrection". He said absolutely nothing about a spirit that was alive in Abraham's bosom. He said nothing about a spirit at all.

But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, (Matthew 22:31 KJV)

26 And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?
27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err. (Mar 12:26-27 KJV)

His comment is about the resurrection of the dead not the current state of those men.

32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. (Mat 22:23-32 KJV)

Do you understand that Jesus was teaching that a person goes on living, after their body has died.

The point He made was, God declared Himself to be the God of Abraham when He spoke those words at the burning bush.

At the burning bush, God declared He was the God of Abraham, even though Abraham had been buried for 400 years, he Abraham was alive.

Jesus declares Abraham was alive in Abraham's Bosom [Paradise], in the heart of the earth.

The Lord said He was the God of Abraham, at the burning bush; meaning Abraham was alive.

JLB

He declared no such thing. Look at the context, "as touching the resurrection". He said absolutely nothing about a spirit that was alive in Abraham's bosom. He said nothing about a spirit at all.

But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, (Matthew 22:31 KJV)

26 And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?
27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err. (Mar 12:26-27 KJV)

His comment is about the resurrection of the dead not the current state of those men.

1 Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 And the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. 3 Then Moses said, "I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn." 4 So when the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am." 5 Then He said, "Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground." 6 Moreover He said, "I am the God of your father--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God. Exodus 3:1-6

The Lord declared at that moment that He was the God of Abraham.

The God of the living Abraham.

God is declaring that He is, as He was talking to Moses, The God of Abraham.

Though Abraham's body had fallen asleep, Abraham was alive at that moment.

Brother, You have missed the point that Jesus was making, when He spoke to Moses from the burning bush.

JLB

6 Moreover He said, "I am the God of your father--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God. Exodus 3:1-6 The Lord declared at that moment that He was the God of Abraham. The God of the living Abraham. God is declaring that He is, as He was talking to Moses, The God of Abraham.

You said correctly that God was declaring that HE (GOD) IS based on the Exodus passage, but then you make a claim that God in no way made by saying that God declared to Moses that Abraham was living at that time. You read that into the passage. The passage in Matthew that [MENTION=90240]Butch5[/MENTION] referenced seems clear in defining that it referenced the resurrection as being the reason that God is the God of the living.

Where are we having a disconnect here and how can we fix it?

6 Moreover He said, "I am the God of your father--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God. Exodus 3:1-6 The Lord declared at that moment that He was the God of Abraham. The God of the living Abraham. God is declaring that He is, as He was talking to Moses, The God of Abraham.

You said correctly that God was declaring that HE (GOD) IS based on the Exodus passage, but then you make a claim that God in no way made by saying that God declared to Moses that Abraham was living at that time. You read that into the passage. The passage in Matthew that [MENTION=90240]Butch5[/MENTION] referenced seems clear in defining that it referenced the resurrection as being the reason that God is the God of the living.

Jesus is referring to the burning bush passage.

Jesus declares in the burning bush passage that God says He is the God of Abraham, meaning He is the God of the living not the dead.

This was declared at the Burning bush.

JLB

I think this question is the right question to ask among brothers. Perhaps there is somebody who may open it up more for us? If that somebody were me, I might start with some research, look at the scripture itself, ponder the word of truth, look for other mentions of the subject in the near context (oftentimes there are clues to meaning that are close in proximity - was Jesus talking to Sadducees, for instance?) and then would seek to find if there was a direct quote involved (in this case there is) and read this too.

The problem that I have is that when I read something familiar, like a parable, part of my mind shuts off (almost), saying, "Oh! I know this..." but the fact is that even if I've read it 1,000 times before, there is always, always something more to see and know and that is hidden, begging for new understanding. That's part of why God's living Word is living. Because as we, His children read, we are able to get more and more revelation. Knocking, seeking, asking applies here.

Then, after pondering the Scripture, the surrounding references, the direct quotes (if any), we look elsewhere. Did anybody else comment on this? Who else spoke about it? Did John? Or Peter maybe? I very much appreciate the fishermen method of saying things. Peter's faith and immediate belief, John's love and vast understanding.... this gives us a very solid ground. That prepares us for Paul. That guy talks like that in all his writings and some of the things he says is difficult....

Oh, and I might also sneak a peek out onto Google once I got all the above done and prayer has been offered. That's not dangerous ground anymore because all things must line up with the more sure word of prophecy which is the bible. To me, that process of study involves analysis (breaking stuff into little pieces), thinking on it (chewing the cud) and then also reassembly or synthesis, combining what I've taken, here a little, there a little, line upon line --into a more complete (but not yet fully complete) more mature understanding. It took me ten (10) years to understand what "understanding" is. I'm still trying to apply the answer provided even here, even now.

My children laughed when they heard that. To me, this mystery came in the form of a riddle:

RIDDLE:
If Wisdom may be likened to GOLD...
And if Knowledge may be compared to SILVER...
What IS understanding?

Ten years you say? Yes, I was studying Proverbs and tying many things (like passages from Ecclesiastes and Job together while young in the word). Along that path, trying to comprehend the "ways of God," other things were given. Concepts about colors as types and what anti-types were. It was a process for me. A long process. I love that time and the idea that some thoughts, some questions, are very much worth the asking. There are times when the journey is the goal, more than the destination. The question above, for instance:

Last edited by a moderator:
The scriptures were written as God showed Moses the account of creation, some 2000 years before Moses was born.
Well actually, no, the Bible gives no date for the time of creation.

The scriptures are the inspired word of God, unless He reveals the meaning to you, all the Hermeneutics in the world are useless.
That is quite untrue.

The Foundation of the New Covenant, is being taught by God personally.
This is the Benchmark of the New Covenant, that The Holy Spirit teaches each of us, that we may know God, for The Holy Spirit leads us and guides us into all Truth.
While I don't necessarily disagree, that is only a part of it. To leave it at that is simply not in line with what the Bible itself teaches. Again, it must be said that all who say such, while ignoring hermeneutics, lexicons, concordances, and other "devices of men," are very often in disagreement. It has happened here numerous times alone

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. Romans 8:14
I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here but if you are trying to say that following hermeneutics, etc., are somehow opposed or mutually exclusive to being "led by the Spirit of God," then that would be patently false and not a biblical position.

JLB

1 Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. 2 And the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. 3 Then Moses said, "I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn." 4 So when the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, "Moses, Moses!" And he said, "Here I am." 5 Then He said, "Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground." 6 Moreover He said, "I am the God of your father--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God. Exodus 3:1-6

The Lord declared at that moment that He was the God of Abraham.

The God of the living Abraham.

God is declaring that He is, as He was talking to Moses, The God of Abraham.

Though Abraham's body had fallen asleep, Abraham was alive at that moment.

Brother, You have missed the point that Jesus was making, when He spoke to Moses from the burning bush.

JLB

I haven't missed the point. God didn't say He was the God of the living to Moses. Jesus said that about the statement in reference to the resurrection. There is nothing in either account that references a spirit that lives on after the body dies. In Exodus God is telling Moses who He is and Jesus is using the statement in reference to the resurrection. There's nothing in the Scriptures that teaches that man has a spirit that lives on after death.

Isa 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Isn't this hermeneutics?

The scriptures are the inspired word of God, unless He reveals the meaning to you, all the Hermeneutics in the world are useless.

That is quite untrue.

It is about as true as me saying that the earth, the physical earth, and all the things that are to pass away, are useless to me, from eternity. If a brother left a stone in the path that he has taken to arrive at greater, more enduring truth as others follow him even as he chased after God? Then I too may accept the sureness of that stone, noting that it is not a word that proceeds forth forth from the mouth of God, but instead it is a word that comes from one created in His Image.

Both originate from that self same source. What need I to worry this? God lead us. We hear His voice, be it brought to us in the words of another, and upon reflection of what was whispered him or through a series of small steps that lead to the larger path.

I've seen that path. Know that there, right there... just beyond the rise of a little hill, lays a lake. It is a lake of peace where we may enter. As we do, we look around at the majesty of our surroundings. There. Just over there at the shore of this small lake might be seen a meadow. Small animals might be seen. The surface of that lake is mirror smooth and it too reflects the glory and majesty of the heavens (as drawn by the finger of God, for our benefit and contemplation). My eye is drawn in another direction and a tree is spotted. It is the tree mentioned in Psalms 1. That tree. The one whose roots have sunk down into the waters living, whose branches and leaves green, are offered to the sky. The leaves of healing that is promised to those that desire them.

The lake beckons and my foot enters, responding to the still and quiet invitation of that marvelous day in early autumn where the breeze is felt. There is some warmth blowing on the breeze and the sun seems to smile down on me, even as my tow disturbs the calm surface and ripples are seen cascading their way outward. There is something marvelous about this lake. Almost as if it is a non-Newtonian liquid. Bolstered by a serene peace that accompanies my surroundings the words, "My peace I give to you..." are heard. Another step is taken and now there are two of my feet that are soothed and refreshed. The gospel, the good news, has adorned my feet. I see my own reflection there and ponder the meaning.

As I wade deeper, another thought comes. Would that I might be able to quiet myself in this, these waters. That I might be able to become still enough to feel the lapping of the waters against my calves and legs. Another step and that serenity prayer that was learned in a 12-step meeting comes to mind, assuring me that I am not asked to do anything beyond my measure, that for this moment and for always, the burden, if there be any, is light, the yoke is hand-rubbed with oil and fitted to me so that there is no chaffing. Another step and I find myself stopping to reflect on the breastplate of righteousness, hung upon my chest. It is an imagined breastplate, with stones, stones of each of the children of Jacob, something befitting a priest. My loins are being wrapped about with the spirit of truth.

It is a calm reflection. A soothing place. A place spoken of and longed for with outstretched arms.

Not as the word gives, give I.

What shall happen there? IN this lake? May I be led to quiet myself and feel the touch of the Lamb of God?

What then, if my brother whose very name means FREE! and speaks of our liberty enters? Might I also feel the ripples that are created in the lake by his touch? May I know my brother? May I ponder his truth? It's possible, maybe even conceivable, but if that is to be the case, I must resist the urge to gambool about and frolic and play, must continue to remain calm and still that I may rightly hear the one who has said, "Be still and know that I am God."

I pray thee, enter this peace, and cause me to know how your Loving Savior has spoken to thee.

While I don't necessarily disagree, that is only a part of it. To leave it at that is simply not in line with what the Bible itself teaches. Again, it must be said that all who say such, while ignoring hermeneutics, lexicons, concordances, and other "devices of men," are very often in disagreement. It has happened here numerous times alone

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here but if you are trying to say that following hermeneutics, etc., are somehow opposed or mutually exclusive to being "led by the Spirit of God," then that would be patently false and not a biblical position.

Thank you, my friend. You are loved. More than I may say. I mean this in all sincerity. Our feet are being guided on a path of agape, beyond mere felio. We are to run this race with Joy, understanding the parable of Paul speaking about realizing the cross of the finish line, as we chase after God.

You said correctly that God was declaring that HE (GOD) IS based on the Exodus passage, but then you make a claim that God in no way made by saying that God declared to Moses that Abraham was living at that time.

That is the point that Jesus made to the Pharisee's.

Jesus declared that God was the God of the living, by His declaration at the burning bush.

At the burning bush, no resurrection is mentioned, Only that He was the God of Abraham, which means that Abraham was alive.

God declared He was the God of the Living and not of the dead, at the burning bush, with this statement I am the God of Abraham.

Abraham was alive, as Jesus taught in Luke 16.

JLB

Okay, how about this -

In this statement by Paul, do we see the emphasis being put on being led by the Spirit, or learning hermeneutics?

The Spirit will led you and guide you into all truth.

In the question that Jesus asked His disciples - "But who do you say that I am?

13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, "Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?" 14 So they said, "Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." 15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" 16 Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." 17 Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. Matthew 16:13-17

Did Peter answer correctly because he used hermeneutics, or because God Himself revealed to him the Truth.

So much emphasis is put upon ever learning and learning through the method that man has devised.

So little is emphasized on being led by and relying on the Holy Spirit.

As a result we have a weak and confused and divided Church, who falls into the trap of ever learning, but never coming to the knowledge of the Truth.

as Paul wrote -

5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! 6 For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, 7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 2 Timothy 3:5-7

JLB

Okay, how about this -

Brother? Some of the things that I write, many of them, are offered with the understanding that they too may be difficult. Fact of the matter is that some understand my manner of speech better than others. That's okay. For instance, the subtle change of voice in the sound of the words quoted by you, spoken by me, may indicate that they were first spoken by another, one known and named 'Free' here. To him, I spoke of liberty and peace. We, Free and I, share ministry in the Christianity and Science forum as well as the greater area of our meeting place, held in common by all who come to dine with their brothers even in the place called "Ye Old..." Certainly this other party of our conversation will know his own words. I have not changed them but have offered to him, my thanks. And to you? There is another offer. My agreement with the quote of you, highlighted and by the quote function to single it out and to bespeak my agreement.

Your struggle is not with me. Nonetheless, I do enjoy hearing the things that you say.

Okay, how about this -

Brother? Some of the things that I write, many of them, are offered with the understanding that they too may be difficult. Fact of the matter is that some understand my manner of speech better than others. That's okay. For instance, the subtle change of voice in the sound of the words quoted by you, spoken by me, may indicate that they were first spoken by another, one known and named 'Free' here. To him, I spoke of liberty and peace. We, Free and I, share ministry in the Christianity and Science forum as well as the greater area of our meeting place, held in common by all who come to dine with their brothers even in the place called "Ye Old..." Certainly this other party of our conversation will know his own words. I have not changed them but have offered to him, my thanks. And to you? There is another offer. My agreement with the quote of you, highlighted and by the quote function to single it out and to bespeak my agreement.

Your struggle is not with me. Nonetheless, I do enjoy hearing the things that you say.

I was responding to your quote in post 189, hoping that we might find some common ground.

Thanks, JLB

5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! 6 For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, 7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 2 Timothy 3:5-7

Hermeneutics is myth busted
........... Without being filled with the Holy Spirit, that teaching anointing, the ability to hear God, all you have is human reasoning to understand what is only Spiritually understood. (Discerned) The Word of God teaches us how to study scripture and the standard is very High and very precise.

Mike.

Hermeneutics is myth busted........... Without being filled with the Holy Spirit, that teaching anointing, the ability to hear God, all you have is human reasoning to understand what is only Spiritually understood. (Discerned) The Word of God teaches us how to study scripture and the standard is very High and very precise.

Mike.
You guys are creating a false dichotomy as though one must choose either hermeneutics/human reasoning or being lead by the Spirit. I will continue to say that ignoring hermeneutics, reasoning, etc., is not a biblical position and is rather a naive way to approach Scripture.

You guys are creating a false dichotomy as though one must choose either hermeneutics/human reasoning or being lead by the Spirit. I will continue to say that ignoring hermeneutics, reasoning, etc., is not a biblical position and is rather a naive way to approach Scripture.

We have Hermeneutics. We have the bible that tells us how to study, how to compare spiritual, tells us it's the Holy Spirit that must reveal scriptures.
Without collapsing critical thinking into relativism, hermeneutics recognizes the historicity of human understanding. Ideas are nested in historical, linguistic, and cultural horizons of meaning. A philosophical, theological, or literary problem can only be genuinely understood through a grasp of its origin.

To understand the Word, Hermeneutics takes into account not just words but how the culture communicated at the time. It looks at History, the times, What God was doing at that time for those people.

The Lord never once told us to consider any of that. Line upon Line, God is no respecter of person, No contradictions (Hypocrisy) Only the Holy Spirit can reveal comparing spiritual things with spiritual things.

So, if God's Word tells you how to study, Who's help your going to need to Study, then do you believe that is not good enough, so we have to use Hermeneutics also?

You believe that?

Mike.

Hermeneutics is myth busted........... Without being filled with the Holy Spirit, that teaching anointing, the ability to hear God, all you have is human reasoning to understand what is only Spiritually understood. (Discerned) The Word of God teaches us how to study scripture and the standard is very High and very precise.

Mike.

I certainly am not advocating that a person choose one method of Study over another.

Rather, I would emphasize a healthy dependency on the Holy Spirit, for this is what The New Covenant is about.

27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. 1 John 2:27

The ministry of the Teacher and Pastor is for teaching sound doctrine.

I would think one of the first things a good teacher would teach is that The Holy Spirit is the teacher.

A good teacher will emphasize this and teach his people how to study and be led by the Spirit.

A sound study habit, which includes submitting yourself to God, spending time with Him, worshiping Him and allowing His presence to rest upon you, then begin your study, is a good habit and environment to learn in.

JLB

We have Hermeneutics. We have the bible that tells us how to study, how to compare spiritual, tells us it's the Holy Spirit that must reveal scriptures.
Without collapsing critical thinking into relativism, hermeneutics recognizes the historicity of human understanding. Ideas are nested in historical, linguistic, and cultural horizons of meaning. A philosophical, theological, or literary problem can only be genuinely understood through a grasp of its origin.
To understand the Word, Hermeneutics takes into account not just words but how the culture communicated at the time. It looks at History, the times, What God was doing at that time for those people.

The Lord never once told us to consider any of that. Line upon Line, God is no respecter of person, No contradictions (Hypocrisy) Only the Holy Spirit can reveal comparing spiritual things with spiritual things.

So, if God's Word tells you how to study, Who's help your going to need to Study, then do you believe that is not good enough, so we have to use Hermeneutics also?

You believe that?

Mike.
Oh, wow. In all honesty it seems as though you really don't know much about biblical interpretation or the role of hermeneutics and why they are necessary. You may as well argue that one doesn't need to know Greek or Hebrew to get the full meaning of a passage, or that the authors of the books of the Bible didn't use their minds when writing what they did.

The Bible was written over a couple of thousand years or so, finishing off around 100 AD, in languages that are no longer in existence. What that means is that the people who lived at the times the books of the Bible were written, understood the social contexts, the language, etc. Much of the confusion today and doctrinal disagreements within the Church, especially Evangelicalism, stem from a lack knowledge of these things. In fact, many disagreements on these forums are due to people not using proper hermeneutics.

So, of course, the Bible isn't going to lay out hermeneutics, because for the people who lived at the time the books of the Bible were written, it went without saying. They were living it, it was their context. We are 2000 years out, so we must take these things into account or risk believing all manner of false doctrines based on poor biblical interpretation, as many do.

As I have said, every single person who has been on these forums who rejects any "man-made" Bible study "aids," or whatever one wants to call them, is often in disagreement with all the rest who believe the same. Yet each will claim they were taught by the Holy Spirit. But that simply cannot be so.

Regardless, I have already shown how you appealed to hermeneutics as part of your attempt to reject them, so your position is without merit.

Oh, wow. In all honesty it seems as though you really don't know much about biblical interpretation or the role of hermeneutics and why they are necessary. You may as well argue that one doesn't need to know Greek or Hebrew to get the full meaning of a passage, or that the authors of the books of the Bible didn't use their minds when writing what they did.

Didn't use their minds?

That is a total misrepresentation of what Brother Mike said.

You obviously haven't read much of what he has written, to say something like that.

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back