Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Excellent thought everyone - I appreciate your comments. My analysis confirmed eyewitness accounts of the phenomenal story of Jesus, therefore I have eliminated long-term doubts that I had for many years. I am a 100% believer in Jesus, but not so in the theological stew of the gospel author story. I’ve always had problems with it. For example, if they are eyewitness accounts, how could Matthew write them when he didn‘t witness munch of what was written in that book?
If Matthew was the disciple and apostle Matthew, he was an eyewitness of much of what happened, but he also could have used other sources and interviewed eyewitnesses himself. Again, none of this is an issue.

I agree! Is that something I can do or request?
It's already done.

But those three thousand came to faith in the first year of the church so when they scattered, which God knew they would, documentation of Jesus would have helped give the church a solid truth footing.

Ok, but now they didn't scatter for many many years. Scripture says that the church was centered in Jerusalem for nearly 15 years before persecution eventually caused them to scatter, and by this time the Gospels were already being written, so it would seem their writing coincided with when they actually became needed.

No, it is that you're begging the question by presuming that the stated authors lacked credibility. My biblical references give support to the likelihood that the authors are apostles and close companions of other apostles, which gives legitimacy to what they wrote. Not that it matters since all Scripture is God-breathed. If it wasn't, it wouldn't matter who wrote it.
I apologize. I meant to respond to the op.

God is all knowing in charge of everything. The Gospel author story put the start of the church in the hands of men who ‘helped’ the eyewitnesses? Did Jesus pick eyewitnesses who needed help?
It seems to me that some things may in part be done is such a manner as to test or strengthen ones faith. We do not have to have historically accurate accounts to have faith in the nature and will of GOD almighty.

And yes; we all need Messiah.

If Matthew was the disciple and apostle Matthew, he was an eyewitness of much of what happened, but he also could have used other sources and interviewed eyewitnesses himself. Again, none of this is an issue.

It's already done.
Matthew was a disciple but he was not one of the inner circle disciples so he did not see many things that are documented with eyewitness testimony in that book.

Ok, but now they didn't scatter for many many years. Scripture says that the church was centered in Jerusalem for nearly 15 years before persecution eventually caused them to scatter, and by this time the Gospels were already being written, so it would seem their writing coincided with when they actually became needed.
Acts 2:1-13, many received the Holy Spirit who were visiting Jerusalem. Surely they went back home and needed support from the disciples. Acts 8:1-4 records that after Stephens death, the church scattered, but the apostles remained in Jerusalem. Those that scattered needed something to help them spread the church and what better than the written word of God. Stephen’s death was likely soon after AD 33. Jesus selected disciples to document his words and they fulfilled their assignment immediately. Again, why does everyone think they waited to document the Gospels? The Holy Spirit was in charge so why would God wait? The theological stew doesn’t add up.

Matthew was a disciple but he was not one of the inner circle disciples so he did not see many things that are documented with eyewitness testimony in that book.
Maybe he didn’t see some things, but he likely saw most. And as if they didn’t talk with each other. Again, this really isn’t an issue. God chose whom he chose to write the books and inspired them in what he wanted written. They were all apostles or close companions of them.

It seems to me that some things may in part be done is such a manner as to test or strengthen ones faith. We do not have to have historically accurate accounts to have faith in the nature and will of GOD almighty.

And yes; we all need Messiah.
Why would God go through the trouble to send his Son to earth with twelve eyewitnesses, then bail out and decide to have the author names lost. Many don’t need reliable data, but others like me do. We know the early church knew who wrote the gospels, so how did the authors names get lost? Just asking reasonable questions!!!

Acts 2:1-13, many received the Holy Spirit who were visiting Jerusalem. Surely they went back home and needed support from the disciples. Acts 8:1-4 records that after Stephens death, the church scattered, but the apostles remained in Jerusalem. Those that scattered needed something to help them spread the church and what better than the written word of God.

Well thank you for this. I was referring to the persecution in Acts 12 when James was killed (around 48 AD), and his letter was written sometime before this and contained numerous references to the Gospel of Matthew. But I hadn't noticed the reference in Acts 8, so I appreciate it. But now again, I would argue that it wasn't needed if the church was initially operating under the Spirit's guidance directly, as even Paul suggested in some of his letters to Gentile churches, and as John referred to when he said, "You have no need that any man teach you, for the anointing teaches you all things."

I think you are placing too much emphasis on a supposed need for written Gospels and not enough on the Spirit who wrote them, and was leading the church faithfully long before they were written.

Why would God go through the trouble to send his Son to earth with twelve eyewitnesses, then bail out and decide to have the author names lost. Many don’t need reliable data, but others like me do. We know the early church knew who wrote the gospels, so how did the authors names get lost? Just asking reasonable questions!!!
Because we aren't to rely on the words of men, nor seek for a sign. We are to walk by faith.

You are very fortunate - my wife is similar and sometimes I frustrate her. But please don’t discount those of us who question everything.
I am not going to ask my wife if I sometimes frustrate her , lol ! I know the answer :lol .

Think about this . It could be that God wanted the gospel spread through words out of the mouths of the people that had first hand experience of seeing the gospel in action . Not just the apostles but all the other people whose heart and soul had been pierced by seeing Jesus in action . Think what it must of been like to tell others of seeing Jesus in all his glory . The ones hearing from these would hear the passion in their voices and see the fire in their eyes as they spoke ! Hard to get that from words on paper . But I am not discounting the power of God's Word in the bible .

Maybe he didn’t see some things, but he likely saw most. And as if they didn’t talk with each other. Again, this really isn’t an issue. God chose whom he chose to write the books and inspired them in what he wanted written. They were all apostles or close companions of them.
So tell me what qualified Matthew, Mark, and Luke to write Gospels? We know very little about these men, but we know a lot about the inner circle disciples. How can you suggest it isn’t an issue, when it kept me damned to hell until I found the truth and became a solid believer? The only proof of authorship is in the Gospels, anything other claims are heresey.

Because we aren't to rely on the words of men, nor seek for a sign. We are to walk by faith.
Having reliable Gospel authors names would not eliminate the need to have faith to believe a 2,000 year old story about God sending his Son to earth and raising people from the dead. Still need a lot of faith so I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back