Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is your definition?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Well Hello Cturtle,
To me this simply means, as a born again spirit filled believer of God I am to share the Gospel of Christ to those who are in my world...Or another words, those who cross my path or I am surrounded by or the people in my every day life. I am to be the light of God in this dark world and share the Love of God every place I go.
Now I also feel as a born again spirit filled Christian this passage and others also directs me to help aid the spreading of the Gospel of Christ financially and willfully supplying anything I can to help meet the need of those who are sent.......
Sincerely
Jim

First of all, what do you think, specifically, "The Gospel" is? Many people really have no idea... they think it is "preaching".

Matthew 28 NKJV:
16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them.
17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.
18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

I sometimes wonder why the church teaches that this commission was assigned to us. Whenever I read these verses, I read that Jesus was addressing this commission to the 11. Is there some other place where Jesus assigns this commission to all believers?

I've thought this is what Jesus' commission is for the rest of us.
Matthew 5:1-2, 13-16 NKJV
5 And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him.
2 Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:

13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

"His disciples" could be more than just the 12 at that time because scripture later talks about how many of His disciples left him but the 12 remained.
John 6 NKJV:
60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?”
61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you?
62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?
63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.
65 And He said,“Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”
66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.
67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”

It is this that has me often thinking my best commission is to be a witness through my lifestyle.

What is your definition of "Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel (good news)" Mark 16:15
Well, I figure just like it says- Go and spread the Word. I do that on my youtube channel. But I'm sure God leaves it up to the individual believer to figure out how they're gonna do that. That's the amazing part about God's directions- We're free to figure out the details.

First of all, what do you think, specifically, "The Gospel" is? Many people really have no idea... they think it is "preaching".

Really Willie, preaching ? How can any one ever make that interpatation ? Gospel is the NT or another words Jesus death on the cross and what it stands for and what it has done for us....any more questions ?:shades sorry just had a thought about the old transformers movie...lol
Jim

Matthew 28 NKJV:
16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them.
18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

I sometimes wonder why the church teaches that this commission was assigned to us. Whenever I read these verses, I read that Jesus was addressing this commission to the 11. Is there some other place where Jesus assigns this commission to all believers?

5 And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him.

13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

"His disciples" could be more than just the 12 at that time because scripture later talks about how many of His disciples left him but the 12 remained.
John 6 NKJV:
60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?”
61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you?
63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.
65 And He said,“Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

It is this that has me often thinking my best commission is to be a witness through my lifestyle.
Jesus was addressing just his chosen ones/disciples Luke 24:44-53. and John 1:12, 13.

The below statement and link are for his true believers: Many are called but few are chosen

http://biblehub.net/search.php?q=Many+are+called+but+few+are+chosen

Take my yoke on you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest to your souls.

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/11-29.htm

Last edited:
Matthew 28 NKJV:

John 6 NKJV:

And that was my point ( to be a witness through our lifestyles), possibly leading a few to the Lord wherever we are.
We all become disciples of Jesus once we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior.
And some are called to be pastors, some teachers, some evangelists, and some prophets. For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till We All Come in the Unity of the faith, and the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the Fullness of Christ. (Eph 4:11-13)
God desires that we ALL become unified in our faith, and He desires ALL men to be saved.

Last edited:
Luke 10:1-23;

Jesus sends out the 72.
That's you and me.
Thank you for this. It clarifies a lot. Do you think from this text then that it is our calling to preach to everyone we meet? As Cturtle mentioned Ephesians, it seems that we are not all called to be preachers necessarily but we are called to be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. 1 Peter 3:15-16 NKJV

To me the Gospel is the Good News of Jesus Christ, and what He has done for us by His death, and resurrection.
Absolutely right. And that is what we are supposed to be telling people about... not the many things some of us get into about the various "things" people are supposed to do, and the way they are supposed to act. All that will come as they grow in the Lord, but it is NOT what we are told to lay on people as requirements of being "proper Christians."

Would you like to hear something funny? Most of these "evalengizers" are DEATH on the "Emergent church"...... yet, that is precisely what the Emergent Church believes in... "belonging" to the group, before " becoming" a Christian. And, all through the Bible, people became Christians without really knowing, or even hearing, a thing about how they were supposed to act and behave. All that came much later, often in the letters the Apostles wrote to the established churches.

It also often amazes me to hear people say they go to church "to hear the Gospel preached". Are you kidding!?!? If we are calling ourself a Christian, and we need to hear the Gospel, well, I think there was a step or two missed somewhere along the way.

The gospel is not only about salvation, but the coming Kingdom of God as the means which is the main focus. "Go ye" is a proclamation and testimony that this rule will one day happen, i.e. to replace the crooked governments of the world. The result is: Those who are called now heed the call, so that they become the church destined to rule and reign with Christ over the world. The rest are called to salvation later. The church is just the start of it all, not the sum total of those who will be saved, i.e. given eternal life, and entry into the Kingdom.

To put the OP colloquially, going into all the world to preach the gospel is a testimony so that nobody is surprised when this Kingdom does come, as they were adequately told, so that God can ultimately say "we told ya so!". Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Thank you for this. It clarifies a lot. Do you think from this text then that it is our calling to preach to everyone we meet? As Cturtle mentioned Ephesians, it seems that we are not all called to be preachers necessarily but we are called to be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. 1 Peter 3:15-16 NKJV
This says to me that Jesus sends out his disciples to share the Gospel with the world.
Are we disciples of Christ?
If we are accepted, then help them to become disciples as well.
If we are rejected, don't waste your time with them, move on.
There's many others to be reached.

Paul calls us all ambassadors for Christ.
What is an ambassador?
It is someone who represents another.
We represent Christ wherever we go, whatever we do.

Sorry friends, the Gospel is not preaching the Good News of the death and resurrection Christ, ...that won't get anyone saved!

The Gospel is found in 1 Corinthians,

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 1 Cor 15:1

Specifically,

For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:1 Cor 15:3, 4

Why does it have to be that?

Because,

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Rom 1:16

It's the power of God, the dunamis power that breaks up our hard hearts (preparing the soil) to be able to receive the Seed, ...I ask, how many here were saved the first time they heard the true Gospel, I certainly wasn't, it took many explosions to soften my heart to be able to receive the Gospel,

add to that,

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1: 12, 13

We learn that being born again is not passed on from parents to children, it's not the parents desire or will that causes it and it not the person that is receiving the Gospel that decides when they will be born again, ...it is the sovereign will of God as to when He knows there has been enough explosions, softening of the heart, for the Seed Gen 3:15 to germinate.

That is why anything other than Paul's gospel is futile and doesn't bring about a true softening of the heart, it's not of the Holy Spirit and the words of the Living Word. 1 Pet 1:23

I kind of thought of it as facillitating God's work in other peoples' lives. Some become missionaries, pastors, elders, teachers, etc. Most of our lives fall somewhere on the continuum of "normal," so facilitating God's work in other peoples' lives may simply mean showing Christ-like compassion to people, forgiving our enemies and those who despitefully use us, being the Christian in the workplace, etc. Nothing too dramatic.

I do think some are called and some aren't, so I don't feel like I should be cornering people and making their salvation my #1 goal. At the same time, "faith without works is dead," so I don't think you can just pray from afar and not say something, at least to some people in need of The Good News.

What is your definition of "Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel (good news)" Mark 16:15
To the nations - A time yet to come
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

To Individuals
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel (the glad tidings of salvation through Christ- Strong’s) to every creature.

How?
What has been dubbed as the great commission in Matthew is to be in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, and will be accomplished during the Lord’s Day (Millennium).

Preaching the gospel to every creature was, and is being accomplished in the name of Jesus.
Acts 2:38, Act 10:48, Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus . .

Sorry friends, the Gospel is not preaching the Good News of the death and resurrection Christ, ...that won't get anyone saved!

The Gospel is found in 1 Corinthians,

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 1 Cor 15:1

Specifically,

For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:1 Cor 15:3, 4

Why does it have to be that?

Because,

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Rom 1:16

It's the power of God, the dunamis power that breaks up our hard hearts (preparing the soil) to be able to receive the Seed, ...I ask, how many here were saved the first time they heard the true Gospel, I certainly wasn't, it took many explosions to soften my heart to be able to receive the Gospel,

add to that,

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1: 12, 13

We learn that being born again is not passed on from parents to children, it's not the parents desire or will that causes it and it not the person that is receiving the Gospel that decides when they will be born again, ...it is the sovereign will of God as to when He knows there has been enough explosions, softening of the heart, for the Seed Gen 3:15 to germinate.

That is why anything other than Paul's gospel is futile and doesn't bring about a true softening of the heart, it's not of the Holy Spirit and the words of the Living Word. 1 Pet 1:23
I thought my eyes must be playing tricks on me, so I had my wife read this (Without me saying a word...)

She only got through a few paragraphs when she said, "What's wrong with this guy? He is saying the same thing saves us, that he starts out saying, doesn't save us."

To the nations - A time yet to come
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

To Individuals
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel (the glad tidings of salvation through Christ- Strong’s) to every creature.

How?
What has been dubbed as the great commission in Matthew is to be in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, and will be accomplished during the Lord’s Day (Millennium).

Preaching the gospel to every creature was, and is being accomplished in the name of Jesus.
Acts 2:38, Act 10:48, Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus . .
Huh? Some time in the future? So no one preaches the Gospel till that mystical time period that will, someday, come?

Back