Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Whatcha' Cooking?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Not eating certain foods out of preference, is fine.

But trying to forbid other people from eating certain things is strongly criticized in 1 Timothy 4.3.

Vegans seem to be at better health than normal eaters. It's hard to get good data about that though, but I remember a study saying that vegans and vegetarians were fitter and healthier than people that followed no particular diet - even though a vegan diet is so hard to do in a healthy way.
Like I said it's hard to get good data about long term effects of diets.
One reason vegans and vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters is that those people just pay more attention to and have more knowledge about healthy food and are generally more concerned with health, which means the probably are more physically active, too. So while a vegan or vegetarian diet itself may not be healthier than a healthy omnivore diet, people that are vegans tend to follow a healthier lifestyle (as a reason for or as a result of their veganism).

Not eating certain foods out of preference, is fine.

But trying to forbid other people from eating certain things is strongly criticized in 1 Timothy 4.3.

Trying to convince people of what you think is ethically right is perfectly fine and a normal part of human fellowship.

Trying to convince people of what you think is ethically right is perfectly fine and a normal part of human fellowship.

Do you have any recipes that aren't expensive- or do you know of any good websites that have cheap recipes?

I would like to meet the person who named the orange, 'orange'. What a legend.
for fun my d-i-l wold say orange like this O .. rang .. ge

Today...Salmon on the barbcue....lemon garlic tarter sauce... rice.. maple glazed carrots...corn...

for fun my d-i-l wold say orange like this O .. rang .. ge

Today...Salmon on the barbcue....lemon garlic tarter sauce... rice.. maple glazed carrots...corn...

Wow that sounds delicious. Can we all come over to your place for dinner?
hungry2.gif

I'll miss out on the salmon obviously, but the rest sounds great, too.

I could most likely do with out meat except for a cheeseburger ... but give up cheese not for me... I can see the no meat but do not understand the no cheese/milk/eggs thing... SSHHH i live in cattle country don't tell :shades

Yes, but also Christians will tend try to get their ethics from the Bible directly, rather than what may be fashionable in secular circles.

In that case they should discern whether a Bible passage can be applied to a certain context at all. Acts 10 does not apply to the question of ethical vegetarianism or veganism. It'd only apply to religious reasons (ritual purity) of certain foods. But that's a completely different matter.

In that case they should discern whether a Bible passage can be applied to a certain context at all. Acts 10 does not apply to the question of ethical vegetarianism or veganism. It'd only apply to religious reasons (ritual purity) of certain foods. But that's a completely different matter.

Try 1 Timothy 4.3

I am getting confused why does the guy who promotes tatts show himself bugged by one who chooses not to eat meat? one is his business one is here business...

I am getting confused why does the guy who promotes tatts show himself bugged by one who chooses not to eat meat? one is his business one is here business...

I'm not bugged by anyone who chooses not to eat meat. :) I think I already said so in #46.

In contrast, 1 Timothy 4.3 refers to 'forbidding' (i.e., others) to eat.

Blessings.

Yes, well, as a weightlifter she should by now have a pretty good idea of what effect diet has on biceps and calf muscles, etc. Some of us getting into the diet thing find it a steep learning curve. But your friend presumably has a well developed diet, otherwise she wouldn't be successful as a weightlifter.

Blessings.
of course.

Eh I guess thanks to the supplementation available you can be vegan and still do tough things like bodybuilding competitions and army training. I just looked up the fitness test standards of the US army for females my age and I would make it (though barely), although I'm not a trained soldier. And I've got ten years of smoking and three years of no sports behind me, one year after cessation the damage of the smoking and unhealthy lifestyle isn't entirely healed yet. The vegan that fails your test may have other issues than just his nutrition, but if he has additional health issues a vegan diet is probably not a good idea.
no, he doesn't smoke. I with my asthma can run circles around him in running. he also doesn't run or do pt .

Or buy them at a local organic farmer. But not everyone has the resources to do either.

The ethical treatment of humans is another concern, that's true. There are fair trade alternatives for most products that are imported from 3rd world countries (chocolate, coffee, tee and some clothing).
Im wary of what is called and allowed organic?why? human waste is sold at home depot as organic soil.

no, he doesn't smoke. I with my asthma can run circles around him in running. he also doesn't run or do pt .

Then maybe he really isn't exercising enough. Exercising only two or three time a year for a physical examination isn't enough to improve one's fitnes. Lack of exercise is the most likely reason for a person's not being fit. He might also have other health problems so if it's not just laziness then he should be sent to see a doctor. Won't he have negative consequences from failing his fitnes test anyway?
There's no reason an otherwise healthy adult couldn't make those fitness standards even on a vegan diet if the diet is well balanced and they exercise enough.

Im wary of what is called and allowed organic?why? human waste is sold at home depot as organic soil.
Well that's disgusting and I wouldn't do it in my own garden, but it's biologically possible to recycle human feces, removing all unhealthy substances and bacteria, and reuse them as fertilisers. Feces of humans and animals have been used as fertilisers all the time before artificial fertilisers were invented, although normally only plant eating animal feces are used as fertilisers, and looking at our unhealthy nutrition and exposure to chemicals I'd be suspicious of whether human dung is organical at all.
If they label the contents that the fertilisers are made of correctly then every buyer can decide for themselves if they buy it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back