Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why do some people feel they have the right to undo Salvation?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Is not God restrained by own His Words?

Has God made changes throughout history? Did He not become disgusted with His creation during the time of Noah, wipe the slate clean, and start over? Do we not have a New Testament? What was wrong with the old one? Did God change something?

God created the world and has been active in the world from the beginning, in ways that have changed things in ways we can't understand. His ways are not our ways, and we shouldn't try to judge what He can and can't do by making it fit our human logic.

In my comments throughout this thread I've tried to direct them to one point only: God is sovereign, He created this world and He can change it, He created the Bible and He can change it, He created you and me and He can change you and me, He provided a path to salvation for you and me and He can change that path.

Is God constrained by His word? There are a lot of God's word in the scripture. I believe a man can lose his salvation because of scriptures such as this in Hebrews:

Hebrews 6:4-8
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:
8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

Others will say that simply proves that the man was never truly saved to begin with, which is pretty much a convenient stock answer to explain anything that doesn't fit their interpretations.

It's not really my concern to say definitely one way or the other if man can lose his salvation. I merely say we can't possibly know because that is up to God alone, and God is sovereign over all.

John 10:28

28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.29My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.30I and my Father are one.

Not long ago, I was at a college. A young man tried to had me a pamphlet concerning Christ's Salvation for mankind. I told him I am a believer already and it would be better to give the pamphlet to an non-believer. He then proceeded to discount and question my salvation and told me that if I do not sit in his church and serve God that I am not Saved. This happens over and over. All the different churches and religions discards one's salvation due to they do not serve in their church.

There is so much division in the body of Christ. Are people who are trying to Undo your Salvation really Anti-Christ.

This just sounds like a maddeningly bad sales pitch. Throw the pamphlet in the trash and go about your business!

This just sounds like a maddeningly bad sales pitch. Throw the pamphlet in the trash and go about your business!

I did not take the pamphlet but, the experience is not an isolated incident. Many door knocker, street preachers, and the list can go on

You know I have had to give warnings and infraction points and even suspensions to people who have ignored the requirement to base posts on scripture and to cite that scripture. Really, how hard is it to do that? Is it fair to those people that I should now ignore this for others? Or shall I go back and start moderating again? What to do?

So were the fallen angels of Gen 6.

Ok so now you agree.

Finally.

Sons of God, became fallen and were cast down to hell, as 2 Peter 2:4 teaches.

This is the fallacy of trying to compare apples to oranges.

I'm comparing sons of God with sons of God.

Another verse about loss of reward and inheritance IN the kingdom.

It's a verse that warns us to not lose our salvation.

Inheriting the Kingdom clearly means just that.

Maybe you need another lesson from Jesus about this.

34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: Matthew 25:34

Inherit the kingdom means Salvation, dwelling with God in His kingdom.

Not inheriting the kingdom means dwelling with the devil in the everlasting fires of hell.

41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Matthew 25:41

Right hand = Inherit the kingdom: Blessed Eternal life with God

Left hand = not inherit the kingdom: cast into the fires of hell with the devil

Paul's clear and irrefutable warning to Christians!!!!!

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

JLB

The key here is unbelieving. Referring to those who never believed. Those who have never believed will certainly be cast into the lake of fire.

Still, not any verse about loss of salvation. My challenge has not been met. Again.

But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." Revelation 21:8

Here is a list for God's people to read and take heed to.

Unless you think these words were written to the world and not to the Church.

All liars... shall have there part in the lake of fire.

JLB

Has God made changes throughout history? Did He not become disgusted with His creation during the time of Noah, wipe the slate clean, and start over? Do we not have a New Testament? What was wrong with the old one? Did God change something?

God created the world and has been active in the world from the beginning, in ways that have changed things in ways we can't understand. His ways are not our ways, and we shouldn't try to judge what He can and can't do by making it fit our human logic.

In my comments throughout this thread I've tried to direct them to one point only: God is sovereign, He created this world and He can change it, He created the Bible and He can change it, He created you and me and He can change you and me, He provided a path to salvation for you and me and He can change that path.
Mike,

You seem to confusing a few things here: (1) The sovereignty of God, (2) The foreknowledge of God, and (3) God's actions throughout human history.

Take Romans 11:33 (ESV): 'Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgements and how inscrutable his ways!' This one verse covers all of your objections about 'changes' throughout history, which are not changes when we understand God's sovereignty and his foreknowledge.

The Noahic wipe-out was no surprise to the God of all knowledge.

I agree with what you said about our not being able to read the mind of God and we should not judge what he can and can't do. But that's exactly what you did when you stated,
'It doesn't matter what the Bible says. God is sovereign over all the universe. God revealed the Bible, God can change anything in the Bible'.
For you to dare to say that it doesn't matter what the Bible says, especially in light of what Scripture says in 2 Tim 3:16 (ESV), 'All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness', is contradictory when we know that Scripture is 'breathed out by God'.

I'm fully supportive of your stance on God's sovereignty, but you want to sabotage that sovereignty with your view that 'it doesn't matter what the Bible says '. What the Bible says is 'breathed out by God' and He cannot change (see 1 Sam 15:29 ESV) and this article on 'the immutability of God' at: https://bible.org/seriespage/12-immutability-god.

I agree with this. I would say..
These are the kinds of things that get very confusing. If God knows everything that will happen, then He knew that He would, wipe the slate clean. So how could He say, He regretted creating man?
God's ways are not our ways. Too, confusing for me to understand. I just say that's God's business, not mind.
I suppose He could have a prophet or an apostle write down His words and tell all the Christians that God had added to His word. Hey, He did it before why not again? Some would believe it some would not, just like many of the Jews didn't believe Jesus and the apostles.
But the new testament doesn't change the truth of the old testament, they are both true.
Is God constrained by His word? There are a lot of God's word in the scripture.
Yes, I believe God never breaks a promise and He does not lie. God says those things are sin and God doesn't sin. But God does change His mind. If God's going to do what He's going to do, then there is no point in praying.
I believe a man can lose his salvation because of scriptures such as this in Hebrews:
Hebrews 6:4-8
Others will say that simply proves that the man was never truly saved to begin with, which is pretty much a convenient stock answer to explain anything that doesn't fit their interpretations.
Well, you are in good company, Calvinist Charles Spurgeon believed this scripture described saved people, too.
Me, three.

It's not really my concern to say definitely one way or the other if man can lose his salvation. I merely say we can't possibly know because that is up to God alone, and God is sovereign over all.
I don't think he/she can lose it but I think it may be possible to reject it because of the Book of Hebrew scriptures. God inspired those words, so whatever He intended them to mean, that is what they mean.
Heb 10:28 any one who did set at nought a law of Moses, apart from mercies, by two or three witnesses, doth die,
Heb 10:29 of how much sorer punishment shall he be counted worthy who the Son of God did trample on, and the blood of the covenant did count a common thing, in which he was sanctified, and to the Spirit of the grace did despite?

Last edited:
Mike,

You seem to confusing a few things here: (1) The sovereignty of God, (2) The foreknowledge of God, and (3) God's actions throughout human history.

Take Romans 11:33 (ESV): 'Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgements and how inscrutable his ways!' This one verse covers all of your objections about 'changes' throughout history, which are not changes when we understand God's sovereignty and his foreknowledge.

The Noahic wipe-out was no surprise to the God of all knowledge.

I agree with what you said about our not being able to read the mind of God and we should not judge what he can and can't do. But that's exactly what you did when you stated,
'It doesn't matter what the Bible says. God is sovereign over all the universe. God revealed the Bible, God can change anything in the Bible'.
For you to dare to say that it doesn't matter what the Bible says, especially in light of what Scripture says in 2 Tim 3:16 (ESV), 'All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness', is contradictory when we know that Scripture is 'breathed out by God'.

I'm fully supportive of your stance on God's sovereignty, but you want to sabotage that sovereignty with your view that 'it doesn't matter what the Bible says '. What the Bible says is 'breathed out by God' and He cannot change (see 1 Sam 15:29 ESV) and this article on 'the immutability of God' at: https://bible.org/seriespage/12-immutability-god.

I'm not confusing anything, OzSpen, but, I guess I shouldn't be surprised you think so. God, as creator of all things, exists outside time and space. The limits of our human minds and our language make it impossible to understand God except in ways familiar to us as finite creatures. The tiny fragments of scripture define for us insights into even tinier aspects of God's nature, insights that are couched in the language of human limitations, not the limitless nature of God. God is ineffable, something early Christians understood, but something we seem to have convinced ourselves we can get beyond. We can't, God is still ineffable. St. Augustine comes close to describing this.

“Have I spoken of God, or uttered His praise, in any worthy way? Nay, I feel that I have done nothing more than desire to speak; and if I have said anything, it is not what I desired to say. How do I know this, except from the fact that God is unspeakable? But what I have said, if it had been unspeakable, could not have been spoken. And so God is not even to be called unspeakable, because to say even this is to speak of Him. Thus there arises a curious contradiction of words, because if the unspeakable is what cannot be spoken of, it is not unspeakable if it can be called unspeakable. And this opposition of words is rather to be avoided by silence than to be explained away by speech. And yet God, although nothing worthy of His greatness can be said of Him, has condescended to accept the worship of men's mouths, and has desired us through the medium of our own words to rejoice in His praise. For on this principle it is that He is called Deus (God). For the sound of those two syllables in itself conveys no true knowledge of His nature; but yet all who know the Latin tongue are led, when that sound reaches their ears, to think of a nature supreme in excellence and eternal in existence.” - North, Wyatt; St. Augustine. The Life and Writings of Saint Augustine, On Christian Doctrine, Chapter Six, In What Sense God is Ineffable

The day will come when we will understand God, but today is not that day, even with the help of scripture..

1 Corinthians 13:12
"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

All of this was prophesied in the OT. As Solomon in his great wisdom once said, "That which has been is that which will be, And that which has been done is that which will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun." Eccl 1:9

Ok so now you agree.
Finally.
Sons of God, became fallen and were cast down to hell, as 2 Peter 2:4 teaches.
I've not changed my view on this.

I'm comparing sons of God with sons of God.
One is free to do whatever one wants. But comparing apples to oranges is not a very good idea.

It's a verse that warns us to not lose our salvation.
Please QUOTE the verse when this is said. And I will prove that it doesn't SAY anything close to that.

Inheriting the Kingdom clearly means just that.
And some fail to understand what that means.

Maybe you need another lesson from Jesus about this.

34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: Matthew 25:34
Please notice the context. It was about works. Sure, those believers who have performed good works will be rewarded with an inheritance.

And such inheritances can be lost, as this verse warns: Watch yourselves, that you do not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward. 2 Jn 8 The warning passage are all about loss of reward, not salvation.

Inherit the kingdom means Salvation, dwelling with God in His kingdom.
No, it doesn't in any context where works are mentioned. If faith alone is the context, then, yes, it does. A bit of discernment goes a long way.

Paul's clear and irrefutable warning to Christians!!!!!
Yep, don't lose your reward. Even Paul was concerned about loss of reward, as seen in 1 Cor 9:27 - but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

Some, without discernment, think he was concerned about loss of salvation. To be disqualified refers to loss of reward.

But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." Revelation 21:8

Here is a list for God's people to read and take heed to.

Unless you think these words were written to the world and not to the Church.

All liars... shall have there part in the lake of fire.
JLB
I am happy to repeat as often as necessary that this verse is about unbelievers. If one thinks that this list of sins keeps people out of heaven, then none of us are going there. That would be a silly view indeed.

We are all sinners. But those who have received the free gift of eternal life (Rom 6:23), which is irrevocable (Rom 11:29), are qualified (giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light. Col 1:12) to live with God forever because they have God's life, which is eternal.

All others, who don't have eternal life, will be cast into the lake of fire: Rev 20:15 - And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

All of this was prophesied in the OT. As Solomon in his great wisdom once said, "That which has been is that which will be, And that which has been done is that which will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun." Eccl 1:9

Using scripture to justify scripture (a circle is round because a circle is round) isn't a convincing point of discussion. Please tell me why you think sovereign does not mean sovereign, and why a creator God can not recreate.

(Yet using scripture to back our statements IS a requirement in this forum. See A&T Forum guidelines here, specifically: "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding." and "Opinions are plenty and have little value so please do not state positions that have no basis in scripture." Obadiah)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not changed my view on this.

Angels, that were created by God, and are sons of God, were cast down to hell.

Sons of God, can lose there place in Gods Kingdom, through their rebellion and disobedience.

4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; 2 Peter 2:4

Angels as sons of God as well as people, have them same responsibility to obey the laws of God.s kingdom and are not differentiated by Peter in his warning to us. He uses both angels and people in his illustration of those who will suffer the same punishment for their disobedience to walk according to the flesh, in the lust of uncleanness.

...did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell.
...making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly;
...will receive the wages of unrighteousness,
...They have a heart trained in covetous practices, and are accursed children.

4 For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;
5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly;
6 and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly;
7 and delivered righteous Lot, who was oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked
8 (for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented his righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing their lawless deeds)--
9 then the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment,
10 and especially those who walk according to the flesh in the lust of uncleanness and despise authority. They are presumptuous, self-willed. They are not afraid to speak evil of dignitaries,
11 whereas angels, who are greater in power and might, do not bring a reviling accusation against them before the Lord.
12 But these, like natural brute beasts made to be caught and destroyed, speak evil of the things they do not understand, and will utterly perish in their own corruption,
13 and will receive the wages of unrighteousness, as those who count it pleasure to carouse in the daytime. They are spots and blemishes, carousing in their own deceptions while they feast with you,
14 having eyes full of adultery and that cannot cease from sin, enticing unstable souls. They have a heart trained in covetous practices, and are accursed children. 2 Peter 2:4-14

...They have a heart trained in covetous practices, and are accursed children.

Whether angel or human, children of God will be considered as accursed in they live and walk according to the flesh.

He is the definition of someone who is accursed by Jesus Christ.

'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: Matthew 25:41

The sons of God, being children of God, like humans will end up in the same place, if they disobey the laws of God's Kingdom.

They end up in the same place as the devil and his angels.

JLB

Please notice the context. It was about works. Sure, those believers who have performed good works will be rewarded with an inheritance.

Inherit the kingdom of God = God's Kingdom. Blessed

Do not inherit the kingdom of God = Cast into the everlasting fires of hell with the devil and his angels. Cursed

41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

Right Hand - Blessed = Kingdom of God

Left Hand - Cursed = Not inherit the Kingdom of God = Hell Fire

Christians who practice walking in the lust of the flesh will not inherit the kingdom of God.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:19-21

The Truth of God's Kingdom can not be explained away!!!

which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

JLB

Do not inherit the kingdom of God = Cast into the everlasting fires of hell with the devil and his angels. Cursed

Christians who practice walking in the lust of the flesh will not inherit the kingdom of God.

21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:19-21

The Truth of God's Kingdom can not be explained away!!!

which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

JLB
So Paul was talking about salvation? This is what he said about people who wanted to take away the Grace that believers received.

Col 2:18~~New American Standard Bible
Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind,

Using scripture to justify scripture (a circle is round because a circle is round) isn't a convincing point of discussion.
(Yet using scripture to back our statements IS a requirement in this forum. See A&T Forum guidelines here, specifically: "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding." and "Opinions are plenty and have little value so please do not state positions that have no basis in scripture." Obadiah)
There is nothing else that justifies Scripture. Certainly not one's own opinion.

Please tell me why you think sovereign does not mean sovereign, and why a creator God can not recreate.
I never said it didn't mean exactly what it is. Please tell me why your understanding of my posts is so inaccurate.

And God absolutely does recreate. It's called regeneration in Scripture. I always go to the Source for my understanding. He regenerates everyone who believes in His Son.

And, regarding sovereign, why should anyone think that it means that the Sovereign One can go back on any of His Word? Where does that opinion come from? Certainly not the Bible.

btw, God cannot lie, per Heb 6:18 - so that by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us.

Does this reduce His sovereignty?

Angels, that were created by God, and are sons of God, were cast down to hell.

Sons of God, can lose there place in Gods Kingdom, through their rebellion and disobedience.
Why are you still trying to compare apples to oranges?? It doesn't work. There is NO comparison.

Angels as sons of God as well as people, have them same responsibility to obey the laws of God.s kingdom and are not differentiated by Peter in his warning to us. He uses both angels and people in his illustration of those who will suffer the same punishment for their disobedience to walk according to the flesh, in the lust of uncleanness.
The failure of your opinion is because of trying to compare apples to oranges.

Whether angel or human, children of God will be considered as accursed in they live and walk according to the flesh.
Scripture tells me that only those who's names are NOT in the book of life will be cast into the lake of fire, along with the devil and his angels. Going to heaven isn't about lifestyle, and going to hell isn't about lifestyle. But those who ascribe to the unbiblical works-based salvation seem to think so.

In spite of all the posts given, none has cited any Scripture that teaches that going to heaven or hell is based on one's lifestyle. And, as well, none has cited any Scripture that teaches that one's salvation can be lost.

These are merely opinions that haven't been supported from Scripture. Oh yes, plenty of verses have been cited and quoted. Yet, none (zero) of them say or teach what has been claimed.

otoh, plenty of verses have been cited and quoted that guarantee our salvation. Rom 8:38 says that there is nothing in the present or in the future that can separate us from the love of Christ. Yet your view is that lifestyle or loss of faith WILL separate us from the love of Christ. When Paul mentioned the future, he was including anything and everything that may happen in the future. There is no context to support any exclusions.

We know from John 10:28-29 that no one (no person- it doesn't say "no one else") can snatch a saved one from the Father's hand. So that includes all persons, including the believing person. And no context allows one to claim that those verses don't apply to oneself. Nonsense. Of course it does. The believer is a person, just as much as "no one" also refers to no person.

And my personal favorite: eternal life is a free gift, as stated in Rom 6:23. And Rom 11:29 states that God's gifts are irrevocable. All this settles it for me.

Salvation or eternal life (they are the same) is a gift to the believing person and that person cannot be taken out of God's hand by any ONE, including self, and God doesn't revoke that gift.

There are no verses that refute that statement.

Galatians 5:19-21 The Truth of God's Kingdom can not be explained away!!!

which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.JLB
OK, since my statements have been ignored, I will do likewise with yours.

(Let's remember the guidelines for this forum say: "You may ask a member questions as to what they believe on certain topics relative to the subject of the thread, but please keep in mind the member is under no obligation to answer." and "Failing to answer someone’s question doesn’t necessarily amount to an admission of error or surrender but keep in mind that in any debate if you refuse to or can not answer a reasonable question, it may weaken your position."

If someone chooses not to respond to a statement, that is their choice and they can not be forced to respond. On the other hand, they also must realize failure to respond (unless they have already responded previously to the same thing) weakens their position. Obadiah)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back