Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth Why does God let bad things happen to good people?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Ummm! I must disagree, the answer to what causes evil is easily answerable but I will not hijack this thread, even though it is old. Begin a thread and send me a PM and I will speak to the issue you raise here.
Taylor,

I'm new here and don't know too much, but I think speaking to evil goes right along with why bad things happen to good people.

I think we all know WHAT causes evil. Then you get the why of evil. Then you get into where it comes from. And therein lies the problem.

But I defer to you.

Wondering

That's life in the flesh.
It rains on the just and unjust.
If a plane goes down,with me in it, I guess, the person beside me, must have messed up. Lol.

That's life in the flesh.
It rains on the just and unjust.
If a plane goes down,with me in it, I guess, the person beside me, must have messed up. Lol.
:hysterical

Very good. I like how you think.

Which brings up an interesting question re astrology.

So I'm on this plane.
And my reading (?) for the day says I'm going to be in a bad accident.
The plane goes down.
How about all the people on there that were told they'd have a GOOD day???

Just a thought.

Wondering

:hysterical

Very good. I like how you think.

Which brings up an interesting question re astrology.

So I'm on this plane.
And my reading (?) for the day says I'm going to be in a bad accident.
The plane goes down.
How about all the people on there that were told they'd have a GOOD day?

Just a thought.

Wondering[/QUOTE
:eek2

I don't think God sits back and allows bad things to happen, as if he or she could have jumped in and prevented them. I also do not think God wills bad things on us. I think that problem is that we all have freedom, and that evil is a result of our bad decision making. To me, it makes little sense to think of God as some sort of cosmic dictator. I like to think of G od as a cosmic artist luring the world to greater beauty. Note, I said luring, not forcing. Now, some may think that a God not forcing it or dictating it all is weak. However, I certainly do not. I think God is the ideal model of power, that is, power over powers participating in the fret decisions of others. The best metaphor I have here is to think of God as a kind of president of the universe, which is a democracy. But it is not just a matter that God thinks freedom is such a great thing that maybe he holds back. God's goal is to maximize beauty. Now, beauty requires complexity, and the more complexity, the more freedom there is and that means the greater the chances for evil. If a piano only had but one note, nobody could ever play a wrong note; but with 88 keys, there are all sorts of possibilities for wrong notes and undue dissonance to be created. So, unless God turned the universe into something totally simple, and therefore boring, there is always a possibility of evil occurring.

I don't think God sits back and allows bad things to happen, as if he or she could have jumped in and prevented them. I also do not think God wills bad things on us. I think that problem is that we all have freedom, and that evil is a result of our bad decision making. To me, it makes little sense to think of God as some sort of cosmic dictator. I like to think of G od as a cosmic artist luring the world to greater beauty. Note, I said luring, not forcing. Now, some may think that a God not forcing it or dictating it all is weak. However, I certainly do not. I think God is the ideal model of power, that is, power over powers participating in the fret decisions of others. The best metaphor I have here is to think of God as a kind of president of the universe, which is a democracy. But it is not just a matter that God thinks freedom is such a great thing that maybe he holds back. God's goal is to maximize beauty. Now, beauty requires complexity, and the more complexity, the more freedom there is and that means the greater the chances for evil. If a piano only had but one note, nobody could ever play a wrong note; but with 88 keys, there are all sorts of possibilities for wrong notes and undue dissonance to be created. So, unless God turned the universe into something totally simple, and therefore boring, there is always a possibility of evil occurring.
Hi HH,
Don't know how long you've been christian but let's stretch things out a bit.

So God the Father, the Creator who created everything via His Son, Jesus who is the Word of God the Father makes the universe.

He couldn't make it without evil? it could have been that beauty you speak of sooner, if not immediately. What say you?

Not to get silly, but I have a cat I like. I make an effort not to let bad things happen to him. I don't say to him: Yeah sure, go out there all night and stay out as long as you want. If a dog gets you, you'll figure it out somehow.

Isn't the president of the U.S. supposed to help keep us safe and from harm?

Now oddly enough, you may think I disagree with you, but really I agree with you!
Just trying to get you to think this through a little. If God, the Father, created all and He's all good, how do we end up with evil?

Wondering

I believe that everything happens for a reason, we may not know the reason at that time.
God is the potter, we are the clay, each trial, incident, makes us whom we are.
He molds us.
Lessons are learnt that way.
Example, my heart attack.
For one thing, it made my family appreciate me more.
That every day is precious.
It made me love and value each person more.
And that God is in control.
Evidently, my purpose here was not through.
Another example,
My dad died when I was 13.
He was a deacon, choir leader, in a certain church.
The day before he died, accident, he went to the altar, and confessed somethings.
Then the Lord took him the next day.
Afterwards, we have learnt that he was having some affairs.
Maybe the Lord took him, before he messed up again.

Also, it made life hard, for my Mom and family, 5 kids.
We grew up fast.
My Mom had it rough, especially.
We had always grown up poor.
She had gotten depressed, and went to some institution, where she met her other husband, whom had lost his wife.
They had gotten married, and he treated her like gold.
He was also prosperous.

So, as I see it everything happens for a reason.
We may not see it now.

Good day

I hope I answered your question, Wondering, I'm new and somehow managed to send it as 'starting a conversation." Let me know if you receive it.

That makes sense. Just don't expend too much time and energy trying to figure out reasons. It can easily be above our pay grades. If you have the clearance and the need to know, you'll get the memo.

iakov the fool
Hi Jim Parker,

Reasons. Yeah. You know what they say: Why would I want to serve a God that let's bad things happen to teach me something good?

We're treading choppy waters here. Better to hop back onto the boat and get to shore.
I see all the unanswerables cropping up...

God is good. God is love. He wants the best for us.
End.

Wondering

Hi Dianegcook,

I know what you mean. We could look back and say, That bad experience helped me for this thing that's happening now.
Okay.

But, like your health problem, for instance, could we look at it this way:

Romans 8:28

Those who love the Lord could always find something good coming out of a bad experience. Or, they're trusting the Lord that a bad experience could have been worse, kind of like thinking the glass is half full.

It's just that I don't understand how some situations could be good ( bad health, for instance) but, like you said, it might not be understood until some time in the future. I guess maybe it takes that extra leap of faith to really trust and accept. I like Romans 8.28...

Wondering

Jesus taught the poor will always be among us but He also said to clothe them.
But we'll never get to a Utopian existence. Because you're right too.
I'll just be reading along.
This is going in the direction of what causes evil.
Or, where does evil come from.
Of course, there is no answer, but reading the replies is interesting.

Wondering
where does evil come from
Isa 45
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

where does evil come from
Isa 45
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Roro,

Are you saying God created evil?

But will have to leave here till tomorrow...

Wondering

these say a lot and are overlooked some time
Ecc 9:2-6
Ecc 9:11
Isa 24:2
Isa 30:21
John 16:33
Acts 14:22
Eph 2:2
1 Pet 4:12-13
2nd Cor 4:4
Heb 12: 5-8
Jam 1:12
Rev 12:8-12

Roro,

Are you saying God created evil?

But will have to leave here till tomorrow...

Wondering
Isa.54:16
Behold, I have created the Smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work,
And I have created the waster to destroy.

Ecc.3:1-8
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

I have often wondered this too. I understand that bad things happen because there is evil in the world. I also understand that there is good in the world so it matters where we go and what we do and how we guard ourselves as such from these things. But what about when the bad things still happen despite your best laid plans to protect yourself. I have to ask why God did not protect us from that event or events. I know it's not for us to question God but sometimes we do. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a clear cut answer that you could really hold onto. God, why did you allow the lives of christian men and women to be turned upside down with so few answers as to why, why must we suffer as much as we do? I know Jesus suffered more than any for our own sin being of no fault or deserving part in it. But I sometimes think I'm not Jesus, I'm not perfect nor will I ever be. And when I try to do/be better I commonly fail and seemingly receive no help from God and am left to wallow in my own misery. I sincerely hope to find the answers so I don't have to feel like this anymore.

I have often wondered this too. I understand that bad things happen because there is evil in the world. I also understand that there is good in the world so it matters where we go and what we do and how we guard ourselves as such from these things. But what about when the bad things still happen despite your best laid plans to protect yourself. I have to ask why God did not protect us from that event or events. I know it's not for us to question God but sometimes we do. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a clear cut answer that you could really hold onto. God, why did you allow the lives of christian men and women to be turned upside down with so few answers as to why, why must we suffer as much as we do? I know Jesus suffered more than any for our own sin being of no fault or deserving part in it. But I sometimes think I'm not Jesus, I'm not perfect nor will I ever be. And when I try to do/be better I commonly fail and seemingly receive no help from God and am left to wallow in my own misery. I sincerely hope to find the answers so I don't have to feel like this anymore.

There are several possible answers to this question of why bad things happen to good people (like me)..
  1. God is not sufficiently powerful to keep evil away.
  2. The evil in this world is so random that it simply strikes everyone.
  3. God protects only His elect from evil; if evil comes to you, you are not elect.
  4. God is testing your responses so you can see His grace.
  5. God allows evil as a retribution because you have some sort of sin in your life. It is called "Christian karma"
The adage remains true, "Ask the wrong question, and you will will always get the wrong answer." The OP is no exception to that rule.

The proper question to ask is, "Why should I get any good things from God at all?"

The first questions assumes that I deserve good things, and that God does not love me if evil comes my way. the second question, which is biblical, is based on the fact that I am a sinner, totally depraved and deserving nothing other than condemnation for my sins against God. That God would grant to me anything good, especially His salvation through His Son is a jaw-dropping act of undeserved mercy and kindness.

Until Jesus returns, the god of this age who rebelled and who hates the one, true God and everything that bears His image will seek to destroy until his doom is realized. Shall we not be targets in that heavenly war, also?

That question in the OP is also wrong because it has an earthly, temporal perspective. If you are a Christian, this world is NOT your home; we are citizens of the New Kingdom, and are merely here for a short time.

For us to expect to have no problems is a false expectation because it makes a liar out of Jesus Christ when He stated, "John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

If the jesus christ you worship is not sovereign over all the travails we all face, then you are worshiping a false god; an idol of your own creation. If the Jesus Christ you worship is the Creator of the Universe, and all therein, He is also sovereign over the heartaches of this world. The heartaches come because the love and the plans that Jesus Christ has for you as He takes you through those travails due to sinful actions are far greater than the personal hatred for you that ultimate author of your travails has to seek you out, and do you harm.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Why should I receive good things from God?
The answer should not surprise you. Jesus died on the cross for our sins. Because of the blood of Jesus we are white as snow, joint heirs to the throne because of the cleansing blood of Jesus. If this were not true then Jesus died in vain and all is forfeit. This being true we are able to boldly go to the throne asking whatever we like inline with God's will and here is the very important part I would like you to hear.. We CAN EXPECT it would be done!
As far as the rest of your post I think it is a good explanation and I like it. Doesn't make it any easier though does it? Doesn't hurt less or weigh a person down any less when life's troubles get you down.

Back