Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Wicca teacher wins the lottery

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Did any of you hear about this one? Check out the bold, large print. Hmmm...did the "gods" (Satan) answer him?

Wicca teacher claims 1 Mega ticket
By TODD HALLIDY, Associated Press Writer
Sun Sep 2, 4:47 PM ET

Elwood "Bunky" Bartlett says a New Age book store made it possible for him to become an overnight multimillionaire.

He and his wife, Denise, were on their way to the shop where he occasionally teaches Wicca and Reiki (RAY'kee) healing when they stopped at a liquor store and bought two $5 Mega Millions tickets for Friday night's estimated $330 million jackpot. On Sunday, he said one ticket was a winner.

"If it wasn't for this place I wouldn't have won the lottery," Bartlett said Sunday at Mystickal Voyage, the New Age shop.

Four winning tickets to the Mega Millions jackpot were sold in Maryland, New Jersey, Texas and Virginia. Lottery officials said Sunday they cannot confirm the validity of Bartlett's ticket before they meet with him on Tuesday.

"There's no reason to believe it's not legitimate, but it has to go through security," said Maryland State Lottery Director Buddy Roogow, who said he has spoken with Bartlett.

Bartlett, an accountant from Dundalk, said he made a bargain with the multiple gods associated with his Wiccan beliefs: "You let me win the lottery and I'll teach." Both tickets he purchased had numbers chosen randomly from the computer.

Bartlett had not decided if he will accept his winnings as an annuity or choose the lump sum cash option. The jackpot could get larger once ticket sales are tallied, Roogow said, but the lump sum payment would be at least $48.7 million, or about $32 million after taxes.

According to preliminary calculations, each ticket would be worth about $82 million if the prize were taken in 26 annual payments.

Bartlett said the money won't change him, although he plans to invest in Mystickal Voyage. "I'm going to live my life like I have been," he said.

The odds that any ticket would match all five numbers  8, 18, 22, 40 and 44  and the Mega Ball number  11  were one in 176 million.

If estimates of the jackpot hold true, it would be the fourth largest in the lottery's history. It was known as The Big Game when it awarded jackpots of $363 million in 2000 and $331 million in 2002.

Mega Millions tickets are also sold in California, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, Ohio and Washington.

___

I don't really see your point here.

Don't you pray for things?

I saw the whole miserable mess. Has more chins than a Chinese phonebook. Anyway....To be honest, it annoys me when people who are teaching the tenets of evil and wickedness, win the lottery, and absolutely prosper, while people of faith who are working their fingers to the bone in many cases, are grovelling and trying to rub two nickels together. Oy, it's a SHANDA. :crying:

Steve said:
I saw the whole miserable mess. Has more chins than a Chinese phonebook. Anyway....To be honest, it annoys me when people who are teaching the tenets of evil and wickedness, win the lottery, and absolutely prosper, while people of faith who are working their fingers to the bone in many cases, are grovelling and trying to rub two nickels together. Oy, it's a SHANDA. :crying:
That is true but in the end, God's children are the ones who get to live with Him for all of eternity. So, I'd rather have nothing here and have Jesus here AND after death.
I saw his picture too and to me he looks like he has downs syndrome. This is not a put down at all, just an observation.

Basically the man prayed a wicked prayer (to Satan) and was answered by his master. Satan wants him to spread his evil everywhere he can. Now he's probably even stronger in what he believes in since he got his wish. All we can do is pray for that man and should he come to know Jesus, he can turn around and use that money for good, kicking Satan right in his ugly face.

Havoc said:
I don't really see your point here.

Don't you pray for things?
The man prayed a Satanic prayer and was answered by Satan. He will be a danger to society by spreading his false, evil teachings. That's my point.

Of course I pray for things but not things like "let me win the lottery!" I feel convicted to stay away from gambling. The Lord will take care of me.

ThreeInOne said:
The man prayed a Satanic prayer and was answered by Satan. He will be a danger to society by spreading his false, evil teachings. That's my point.

ROFL

Of course I pray for things but not things like "let me win the lottery!" I feel convicted to stay away from gambling. The Lord will take care of me.

I don't gamble for the same reason. God takes care of me just fine. However, if this man prayed for prosperity and God granted it, who are we to say otherwise.

ThreeInOne said:
I saw his picture too and to me he looks like he has downs syndrome. This is not a put down at all, just an observation.

No, it's a put down.

I wasn't aware that the veracity of a person's beliefs was based on their looks.

Steve said:
Has more chins than a Chinese phonebook.

Another comment on the person's looks. I must say I'm quite surprised to see this kind of vanity coming from Christians.

it annoys me when people who are teaching the tenets of evil and wickedness, win the lottery, and absolutely prosper,

Well it's obvious you believe he's teaching evil. I highly doubt he would agree with you though. That's the problem when evil comes to mean "any belief system that is not mine". The word quickly ceases to have any real meaning.

Havoc said:
ThreeInOne said:

ROFL

I don't gamble for the same reason. God takes care of me just fine. However, if this man prayed for prosperity and God granted it, who are we to say otherwise.
You don't get it! He prayed to "the gods" not to the true God!!! The "muliple gods" he prayed to are Satanic!!!
I'm not saying God can't turn this around but this man INTENDS on teaching Wicca with this money! He made a deal with the devil.

Havoc said:
ThreeInOne said:

No, it's a put down.

I wasn't aware that the veracity of a person's beliefs was based on their looks.
It truly wasn't but I'm not surprised you're going to make more of it than it is.

It's true the "chin" thing the other poster said was uncalled for and wasn't worth mentioning. I don't make fun of people with downs syndrome. I love them and feel for what they must go through in life. To me, that was honestly my first thought when I saw his picture. I hope you can forgive me for making that observation. It wasn't meant as any kind of dig against the guy. I don't care if he was drop-dead gorgeous; what he plans on doing with the money makes me sick - period!

A person's beliefs are not based on their looks. You are just trying to make trouble where there is none.

I think making a big deal from the chin comment/downs syndrome is nit-picky. (I'm from NY---you're gonna get sarcasm from me). Anyway 3-n-1, you've been correct on all your posts. He prayed to demons, was answered by them, AND plans on enlarging his wiccan/new age store and hopes that even more people will be drawn to it because of his popularity. AND IT WILL. More's the pity.

It is amazing to me how large and larger numbers of people are sliding away from belief into these alternative religious systems. Maybe I'm out of the circle, but I don't get it. Don't understand it, and never will.

Steve, from what little I know of Wicca and other belief systems , most are "feel good" religions. Thre are no real rights or wrongs. The general rules are don't hurt anybody. Love the earth and eventually everyone will end up in heaven. Although, Wiccans don't believe in heaven or hell. I believe it is their goddess that will decide how they are to be reincarnated.
No one ever said being a Christian was easy. Some see it as bondage and would rather just get along with everyone.

Steve said:
It is amazing to me how large and larger numbers of people are sliding away from belief into these alternative religious systems. Maybe I'm out of the circle, but I don't get it. Don't understand it, and never will.
It's all in the plans to bring everything to a One World Religion.

ThreeInOne said:
Steve said:
It's all in the plans to bring everything to a One World Religion.

Yes, we Wiccans are in league with the Pastifarians to make that happen ROFL

One World Religion lol

ThreeInOne said:
what he plans on doing with the money makes me sick - period!

That's ok, I'm sure some of the things you do with your collection plate money would make me a little bilious too.

So long as he's following his conscience, doing what he believes God would have him do, and not doing anything illegal, I'm not sure what business it is of yours to be so antagonistic and judgmental toward him.

Let's not forget that this man isn't praying to the God that Christians pray to. He is praying to his Goddess and her Consort. Makes a big difference.

Havoc said:
ThreeInOne said:
what he plans on doing with the money makes me sick - period!

That's ok, I'm sure some of the things you do with your collection plate money would make me a little bilious too.

So long as he's following his conscience, doing what he believes God would have him do, and not doing anything illegal, I'm not sure what business it is of yours to be so antagonistic and judgmental toward him.
It goes back to God, just where it came from!

"God" would not have him teach evil. You're confusing that with the god of this world. :smt074
It is my business because this is a spiritual concern. I'm on God's team. :biggrin

Justmee said:
Let's not forget that this man isn't praying to the God that Christians pray to. He is praying to his Goddess and her Consort. Makes a big difference.
Yes, a huge difference. That's been my point this whole time but some don't want to see that.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back