Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Your favorite horror character/movies

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
He was trying to paint an accurate portrayal of what the Roman Legion did to people. They didn't just put him up on the cross. The message was to love one another. That's what he told his disciples in flashbacks while he was suffering. The contrast there is what made it effective.

What was truly important about Christ's crucifixion was what the Bible points to in the event, not what Mel Gibson thought should be the emphasis given to his atoning sacrifice. Jesus was crucified along with many others. His manner of death, then, was not special; in fact, it was relatively common. God in His word draws attention instead to who was dying on a cross - Jesus, the perfect God-Man - and the spiritual and redemptive labor under which he suffered in taking our sin upon himself, bearing the wrath of God, and being separated from God the Father for a time.

Gibson's emphasis, then, on the physical suffering of Christ reveals both how little he understood of who Jesus was and what he was doing spiritually by sacrificing himself on a cross for our sakes.

In any case, none of this does anything to make watching horror movies okay. They are evil and watching them is sin - as the Bible makes crystal clear.

Though I don't think you intended it, when you quoted John 8:7, you admitted, by implication, to the movies you listed being sin. But if you believe these movies are evil and that watching them is sinful, why are you watching them?

When Jesus said what he did in John 8:7, he wasn't denying the adulterous woman's sin. She had done wrong just as those who'd brought her to Christ had done. Likewise, point the finger at others and saying, "You're no better," doesn't alleviate you of the sinfulness of your own conduct. You can be sure God won't fall for this sort of transparent deflection when you stand before Him one day to account for your movie choices (among other things). "They're all sinners too," will sound just as lame then as it does now.
I recognized 2 of the movies.
One is a comedy,
And one is a drama.

Let's be kind to each other.
I think the other poster means that we cannot judge someone's soul, only God can.

What was truly important about Christ's crucifixion was what the Bible points to in the event, not what Mel Gibson thought should be the emphasis given to his atoning sacrifice. Jesus was crucified along with many others. His manner of death, then, was not special; in fact, it was relatively common. God in His word draws attention instead to who was dying on a cross - Jesus, the perfect God-Man - and the spiritual and redemptive labor under which he suffered in taking our sin upon himself, bearing the wrath of God, and being separated from God the Father for a time.

Gibson's emphasis, then, on the physical suffering of Christ reveals both how little he understood who Jesus was and what he was doing spiritually by sacrificing of himself on the cross for our sakes.

In any case, none of this does anything to make watching horror movies okay. They are evil and watching them is sin - as the Bible makes crystal clear.
Shocked by your belief about Gibson.

I dunno 🤷‍♂️

I liked cheesy horror movies back in the day. Fun…for an unbeliever teenager. Now? I’m kinda glad I don’t remember the details lol 😆
I do think faith in Christ changes one’s tastes and perspective. I find horror…too horrifying now somehow. Even more old school psychological suspense movies 🎥 don’t appeal to me. Maybe my nerves just can’t take it?

Killdozer
Tucker and Dale-vs- Evil
Mars Attacks,Ha,Ha
For the Sci-Fi Fans,The Final Countdown,with Kirk Douglas.

For those without sin,cast the first stone;
John 8:7.
The aliens in Mars Attacks still creep me out to this day. XD

Event Horizon was very good.

Last edited:
1 Corinthians 10:31
31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

This isn't a suggestion for the person who wants to claim to be a follower of Christ, a Christian, but a command. To ignore this command is to disobey God, which is sin. There is no greater good in which any person can engage than in the glorification of God. He is the highest, greatest, most praiseworthy thing in all of Creation. And He made us to glorify Himself. And so, when we participate in things that do not glorify Him, when we know to do the good of glorifying God but don't do it, we are guilty of sin.

James 4:17
17 Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Can God be glorified by His children entertaining themselves with blood and gore? Is God exalted and praised when His children feast their eyes upon what is dark, demonic, gratuitously violent and evil? Absolutely not. Doing so is plainly sinful. Such sin carries a cost, as I've already pointed out from God's word. Sin hardens a person; it sears their conscience; it blinds and deafens them morally and spiritually; it opens their life to demonic strongholds in their thinking and living; it fouls their testimony for God. And, worst of all, sin keeps the sinner from enjoying daily fellowship with God, barring him/her from all the wonder and goodness that He is (1 Peter 3:10-12; Isaiah 59:2).

For these reasons, it horrifies me when "Christians" urge others toward sin, even arguing that it is not sin, but something good! They are urging others toward death - death of fellowship with God , death of His joy, peace and love, death of inner, spiritual and psychological well-being, death of relationships with others, death of physical health and, perhaps, even eternal death in hell!

Romans 6:22
23 For the wages of sin is death...

James 1:15
15 ...when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.

Psalm 101:3-4
3 I will not set before my eyes anything that is wicked. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me.
4 A perverse heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil.

Philippians 4:8
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Psalm 101:3-4
3 I will not set before my eyes anything that is wicked. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me.
4 A perverse heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil.
Well, I guess you better become a hermit then. Have you turned on the news lately?

Hey All,
Please do not be rude to people that disagree with your point of view. Show the same respect that you would want to be shown. We are here, partially, to learn from each other. Remarks that seem sarcastic, even if they were not meant to be so, are not necessary.
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
I do agree with some of the posts that speak of the warrantless nudity, and the insane slasher type killing in movies. I do not find any entertainment value in those types.
I do like the 1931 original Dracula and Frankenstein movies. They are extremely tame compared to today's films.

So that's the horror genre. I had a girlfriend back in the 1970s who didn't like boxing. She thought it was too violent. I missed the great Ali vs. Foreman fight. (I did see it on tape, but you want to see something like this live.) She didn't like the Bruce Lee movies, or the James Bond movies. She viewed these types of movies as depicting senseless violence. So I chose to miss these types of movies and entertainment rather than be a cause to her stumbling per Romans 14.

Are there any other types of movies you feel the same way about? And is our talking about them really that big of an issue? If it is, I will relent and not make any more posts on the subject.

I want people to keep walking. I cannot become a stumbling block to their walk.

May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
I do agree with some of the posts that speak of the warrantless nudity, and the insane slasher type killing in movies. I do not find any entertainment value in those types.
I do like the 1931 original Dracula and Frankenstein movies. They are extremely tame compared to today's films.

So that's the horror genre. I had a girlfriend back in the 1970s who didn't like boxing. She thought it was too violent. I missed the great Ali vs. Foreman fight. (I did see it on tape, but you want to see something like this live.) She didn't like the Bruce Lee movies, or the James Bond movies. She viewed these types of movies as depicting senseless violence. So I chose to miss these types of movies and entertainment rather than be a cause to her stumbling per Romans 14.

Are there any other types of movies you feel the same way about? And is our talking about them really that big of an issue? If it is, I will relent and not make any more posts on the subject.

I want people to keep walking. I cannot become a stumbling block to their walk.

May God bless,
Taz
Boxing ? MMA is often more bloody .

The entire entertainment industry is ridiculous. Has been from day 1. Drugs sexual immorality suicides on and on…

Which honestly is the world 🌎 we live in to some extent but it does seem that Hollywood takes it to another level. And…

Conservative Christians complain about liberal brainwashing from Hollywood. I’m more concerned about authoritarian brainwashing. Law and order…fun show kind of formulaic. Cops and prosecutors are good. Defense lawyers defendants some judges…bad. Especially with so many civil rights lost to the war on drugs and then 9/11, this is frightening.

Back