Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

“They That Are Heavenly”

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

netchaplain

With the OT saint, God gave physical proof of His existence by the way of miracles in order that He could eliminate any doubt of His reality. Then His love for others could be seen, that they might seek Him and trust in Him, for they “required a sign” (1Co 1:22 – though a lessor faith yet His plan – Jhn 20 29). After gaining those He knew would trust in Him He gradually weaned believers from physical proof to non-physical proof, in order that faith in His love will be in its greatest capacity before the next life, which faith will no longer be necessary (2Co 5:7).

What have we now who are His? An eternal godly new nature (in temporary coexistence with the old nature)! New, because it’s a “creation” after the image of Christ (Col 3:10), a never-before-existing entity, establishing being “partakers of the divine nature” (2Pe 1:4). Believers soon learn the disappointment of seeking earthly things to contribute godly joy and its heavenly-oriented strengths; and that being given to them “all things that pertains to life and godliness” (2Pe 1:3) are to be found only from where they derive—Heaven—appropriated from There, for practical application here in this earthen-wilderness!

Though reborn, there remains the difficulties (“infirmities”) that only teach the comforts of the Father’s counsels through the indwelling “mind of Christ” (1Co 2:16); which Mind is known only via the Word of God and its Author, the Spirit of God. Blessed and satisfied are those who “shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God” (Mat 4:4).
NC

“They That Are Heavenly”

There is a great difference between the believer’s place on earth, and that of the saints before the ascension of the Lord Jesus. Since His rejection (by the majority of mankind – Mat 7:13, 14—NC) and His sitting down in glory, the whole of this world (that which relates only to this life and not the next—NC) is unproductive of anything for a member of His Body.

Before His rejection, even during His walk on earth, the earth yielded something; He was here, and form His hand it was made to yield. He obliged evil and adverse things here to give way; infirmities were overborne, and made to yield present blessing to His people. Now since His rejection, and His sitting down in heaven, there is a new scene where the blessing is enjoyed without hindrance, and the “man in Christ” is there with Him.

There I find I am blessed “with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ” (Eph 1:3). If I am blessed with all there, then I am of course not to expect to find any from here (i.e. any coming from here, but from There while here—NC); but this is quite a new and difficult lesson for the believer to learn. If I can find no spiritual blessing here, then I surely must feel this to be a desert. If spiritual blessing is now known to my soul as the true blessing, then I am to accept this—that there is none of the order to be found here, but all in heaven, now (all accessible there from here via the Spirit—NC).

This of itself in a very peculiar and distinct way diverts the soul from this scene, and turns it to the One in heaven, But even after one has learned that there is no spiritual blessing anywhere but in heaven (Jhn 3:27), there is exercise of soul in walking through this wilderness scene, even though we may have ceased to expect from it.

This is not an easy thing for the believer in full consciousness of the rights of his Father. A “young man” who has “overcome the wicked one” (1Jo 2:13) would naturally say to himself that God has rights in the world, and that he was at liberty to claim them and possess them, and therefore it is said to such, “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.”

With an Old Testament saint there was the power of God here to produce from things here (physically proven faith, unlike now, believing without natural proof - Jhn 20:29—NC) an expression of His thought and love for His people, such as they were able to appreciate. Now that expression of the Father’s love is made in heaven, where there is no force (natural evidence—NC) used to produce it. It is all for acceptance on our part, and our enjoyment depends on the amount or extent of our faith, and acceptance of it.

There we are furnished as Paul was, outside and above all the earth and man, and when down here, instead of finding anything to help me, and to afford strength and joy to me, I find everything the reverse; so that instead of it being the garden of the Lord, as it was to the Old Testament saint when he walked faithfully, it is a desert, where not only is there nothing that contributed to me, but where I must reisist the very air (1Jo 2:15—NC), because it is pestilential, and I must, on this desert island where I am set as Christ’s witness, draw all my supplies from above.

I must seek and receive from outside of this wilderness land, and I must refuse all in it (all that is not heaven-related—NC). The Old Testament saint sought and received in it (God adding things from heaven for His people Israel—NC); the mighty power of God fed him—the faithful one (believer—NC), with the finest wheat, and “with honey out of the rock” satisfied him (Psa 81:16); but now, while you are here, there is not anything for you here, but all your supplies must come to you from above. Here, you have only the power of the Lord Jesus to make you strong in your weakness, so that a sense of weakness and dependence is great gain (e.g. 1Ti 6:6—NC).

I am looking to Him who is above this scene, and I know His strength in my weakness, and my enjoyment is not from this scene but completely outside of it, with Him in glory. The OT believer had joy from God’s gifts to him here, and knew His power in making things here contribute to his welfare. It will be the same again, only infinitely more so, in the millennium kingdom.

I know and have joy outside of the place, in heaven from what the Father had made mine there, and here I do not seek that anything should contribute to me; but while I resist everything in the power of the Spirit, I become a contributor of the grace which nourishes and comforts me outside of it in heaven. But I need the Lord Jesus’ Life to enable me to rise above my sense of infirmity in this world and in my body of flesh, so that not only does this scene not contribute to me, but it makes me feel my weakness and need, and that I not only have to rise out of it to find and enjoy my blessings, but that I need His power in it, and as I prove His strength I take pleasure in infirmities.

With the Old Testament saint the infirmities were removed, and everything was by the power of God made to contribute to His people. Hence it is a great change, and often a difficult lesson to accept fully that nothing contributes to me in this land, but on the contrary that I “take pleasure in my infirmities” in it, in order that the power of Christ may rest on me. I am not only not contributed to here, but my infirmity is exposed, and it becomes a “pleasure” to me that Christ’s power may rest on me (2Co 12:9).

—J B Stoney (1814-1897)

Additional.
Look at the posts in this section, there are at least three that would benefit from your spiritual insight and wisdom, so where are your posts?

Additional.16 sites
Look at the posts in this section, there are at least three that would benefit from your spiritual insight and wisdom, so where are your posts?
Thanks, and I see what you mean. I prefer to wait for requests, which I do get quite a few because I post on about 16 sites. It's the ones that have questions for me that lets me know they would like my opinion on something, otherwise I would be addressing so many issues I would not have the time it takes me to type the materials I share for spiritual encouragement and growth. The teachings are from books that are about 300 years out of print.

Thanks though for your concern for everyone, and to be open about others interests, I do not think there are many that I have seen that are willing and able yet to accept Biblical truths that many have not been introduced to, but the interest in spiritual growth is slowly coming about.

With the OT saint, God gave physical proof of His existence by the way of miracles in order that He could eliminate any doubt of His reality. Then His love for others could be seen, that they might seek Him and trust in Him, for they “required a sign” (1Co 1:22 – though a lessor faith yet His plan – Jhn 20 29). After gaining those He knew would trust in Him He gradually weaned believers from physical proof to non-physical proof, in order that faith in His love will be in its greatest capacity before the next life, which faith will no longer be necessary (2Co 5:7).
If a modern day Christian who has no doubts of God's deity was to receive physical proof of God's existence . Why do you think God would do this ?

If a modern day Christian who has no doubts of God's deity was to receive physical proof of God's existence . Why do you think God would do this ?
I believe He still manifests Himself in certain situations for certain believers, but no longer in the capacity of the OT miracles to His people Israel and NT "gifts of the Spirit" manifestations.

I believe He still manifests Himself in certain situations for certain believers, but no longer in the capacity of the OT miracles to His people Israel and NT "gifts of the Spirit" manifestations.
Are you saying we no longer have " gifts of the Spirit " manifestations ? Such as speaking in tongues , and healing the sick ?

Are you saying we no longer have " gifts of the Spirit " manifestations ? Such as speaking in tongues , and healing the sick ?
Everyone is aware that there are those who believe they are still in operation and those that do not believe they are in operation.

What have we now who are His? An eternal godly new nature (in temporary coexistence with the old nature)! New, because it’s a “creation” after the image of Christ (Col 3:10), a never-before-existing entity, establishing being “partakers of the divine nature” (2Pe 1:4). Believers soon learn the disappointment of seeking earthly things to contribute godly joy and its heavenly-oriented strengths; and that being given to them “all things that pertains to life and godliness” (2Pe 1:3) are to be found only from where they derive—Heaven—appropriated from There, for practical application here in this earthen-wilderness!

Though reborn, there remains the difficulties (“infirmities”) that only teach the comforts of the Father’s counsels through the indwelling “mind of Christ” (1Co 2:16); which Mind is known only via the Word of God and its Author, the Spirit of God. Blessed and satisfied are those who “shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God” (Mat 4:4).
NC

“They That Are Heavenly”

There is a great difference between the believer’s place on earth, and that of the saints before the ascension of the Lord Jesus. Since His rejection (by the majority of mankind – Mat 7:13, 14—NC) and His sitting down in glory, the whole of this world (that which relates only to this life and not the next—NC) is unproductive of anything for a member of His Body.

Before His rejection, even during His walk on earth, the earth yielded something; He was here, and form His hand it was made to yield. He obliged evil and adverse things here to give way; infirmities were overborne, and made to yield present blessing to His people. Now since His rejection, and His sitting down in heaven, there is a new scene where the blessing is enjoyed without hindrance, and the “man in Christ” is there with Him.

There I find I am blessed “with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ” (Eph 1:3). If I am blessed with all there, then I am of course not to expect to find any from here (i.e. any coming from here, but from There while here—NC); but this is quite a new and difficult lesson for the believer to learn. If I can find no spiritual blessing here, then I surely must feel this to be a desert. If spiritual blessing is now known to my soul as the true blessing, then I am to accept this—that there is none of the order to be found here, but all in heaven, now (all accessible there from here via the Spirit—NC).

This of itself in a very peculiar and distinct way diverts the soul from this scene, and turns it to the One in heaven, But even after one has learned that there is no spiritual blessing anywhere but in heaven (Jhn 3:27), there is exercise of soul in walking through this wilderness scene, even though we may have ceased to expect from it.

This is not an easy thing for the believer in full consciousness of the rights of his Father. A “young man” who has “overcome the wicked one” (1Jo 2:13) would naturally say to himself that God has rights in the world, and that he was at liberty to claim them and possess them, and therefore it is said to such, “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.”

With an Old Testament saint there was the power of God here to produce from things here (physically proven faith, unlike now, believing without natural proof - Jhn 20:29—NC) an expression of His thought and love for His people, such as they were able to appreciate. Now that expression of the Father’s love is made in heaven, where there is no force (natural evidence—NC) used to produce it. It is all for acceptance on our part, and our enjoyment depends on the amount or extent of our faith, and acceptance of it.

There we are furnished as Paul was, outside and above all the earth and man, and when down here, instead of finding anything to help me, and to afford strength and joy to me, I find everything the reverse; so that instead of it being the garden of the Lord, as it was to the Old Testament saint when he walked faithfully, it is a desert, where not only is there nothing that contributed to me, but where I must reisist the very air (1Jo 2:15—NC), because it is pestilential, and I must, on this desert island where I am set as Christ’s witness, draw all my supplies from above.

I must seek and receive from outside of this wilderness land, and I must refuse all in it (all that is not heaven-related—NC). The Old Testament saint sought and received in it (God adding things from heaven for His people Israel—NC); the mighty power of God fed him—the faithful one (believer—NC), with the finest wheat, and “with honey out of the rock” satisfied him (Psa 81:16); but now, while you are here, there is not anything for you here, but all your supplies must come to you from above. Here, you have only the power of the Lord Jesus to make you strong in your weakness, so that a sense of weakness and dependence is great gain (e.g. 1Ti 6:6—NC).

I am looking to Him who is above this scene, and I know His strength in my weakness, and my enjoyment is not from this scene but completely outside of it, with Him in glory. The OT believer had joy from God’s gifts to him here, and knew His power in making things here contribute to his welfare. It will be the same again, only infinitely more so, in the millennium kingdom.

I know and have joy outside of the place, in heaven from what the Father had made mine there, and here I do not seek that anything should contribute to me; but while I resist everything in the power of the Spirit, I become a contributor of the grace which nourishes and comforts me outside of it in heaven. But I need the Lord Jesus’ Life to enable me to rise above my sense of infirmity in this world and in my body of flesh, so that not only does this scene not contribute to me, but it makes me feel my weakness and need, and that I not only have to rise out of it to find and enjoy my blessings, but that I need His power in it, and as I prove His strength I take pleasure in infirmities.

With the Old Testament saint the infirmities were removed, and everything was by the power of God made to contribute to His people. Hence it is a great change, and often a difficult lesson to accept fully that nothing contributes to me in this land, but on the contrary that I “take pleasure in my infirmities” in it, in order that the power of Christ may rest on me. I am not only not contributed to here, but my infirmity is exposed, and it becomes a “pleasure” to me that Christ’s power may rest on me (2Co 12:9).

—J B Stoney (1814-1897)
It must be tough living with two natures.
I praise God for killing my old nature when I was reborn as a new creature.
2 Cor 5:17 says..."Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."
My old nature is passed away.

Thanks, and I see what you mean. I prefer to wait for requests, which I do get quite a few because I post on about 16 sites. It's the ones that have questions for me that lets me know they would like my opinion on something, otherwise I would be addressing so many issues I would not have the time it takes me to type the materials I share for spiritual encouragement and growth. The teachings are from books that are about 300 years out of print.

Thanks though for your concern for everyone, and to be open about others interests, I do not think there are many that I have seen that are willing and able yet to accept Biblical truths that many have not been introduced to, but the interest in spiritual growth is slowly coming about.

Thank you for clarifying.

NC

“They That Are Heavenly”

—J B Stoney (1814-1897

There I find I am blessed “with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ” (Eph 1:3). If I am
What does IN HEAVENLY PLACES mean?
Thanks.

2 Cor 5:17 says..."Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."
It really is difficult and of course God uses all the difficulties and trials in the life of those reborn to teach us concerning our walk (lifestyle). Eternal security being established and settled at rebirth, all that remains is being used of God to strengthen the saved--and draw the lost, thus "glorifying your Father which is in heaven" (Mat 5:16).

I too wish the old man was no more, then we wouldn't sin any more! Thankfully His forgiveness has nothing to do with producing forgiveness, because this comes only through Christ's Cross-work. The obedience (unceasingly) confirms forgiveness has been received.

What does IN HEAVENLY PLACES mean?
Thanks.
Hi, and thanks for your reply and question! It's my understanding that Heaven and earth will always be separate places, as the New Heaven and the New Earth will not be the same place. Presently, all "spiritual blessings" derive only from heaven and only from God presently in heaven. Even those who are reborn are presently linked to heaven by the Spirit through the Son (Eph 2:6), as the Spirit is omnipresent now on earth and in heaven: "For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one" (1Jn 5:7 NKJV).

Hi, and thanks for your reply and question! It's my understanding that Heaven and earth will always be separate places, as the New Heaven and the New Earth will not be the same place. Presently, all "spiritual blessings" derive only from heaven and only from God presently in heaven. Even those who are reborn are presently linked to heaven by the Spirit through the Son (Eph 2:6), as the Spirit is omnipresent now on earth and in heaven: "For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one" (1Jn 5:7 NKJV).
So is it like that concept that we are already partly in heaven?

Netchaplain, you wrote "Everyone is aware that there are those who believe they are still in operation and those that do not believe they are in operation." in response to "Are you saying we no longer have " gifts of the Spirit " manifestations ? Such as speaking in tongues , and healing the sick ?"

IOW, you didn't answer the question. What do you believe about the gifts of the Spirit being manifested today?

Back