Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study 1 Timothy 6:10

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

WIP

Staff member
I came across something yesterday and found myself unable to explain it to my Sunday School group. We were using a KJV, a NKJV, and a NIV and I noticed that the bold portion below was different. It's obvious in life that money is not the only root for evil. There are such things as greed, arrogance, pride, selfishness, lust, etc.

In the posts below I found the KJV and RSV both use similar language but every other version I referenced added "types" or "sorts" to the text.

Can anyone explain this?

1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. KJV

For the love of money is the root of all evils; it is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced their hearts with many pangs. RSV

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. NKJV

For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. NASB

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. NIV

For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows. NLT

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, and in their eagerness to be rich some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains. NRSVCE

I came across something yesterday and found myself unable to explain it to my Sunday School group. We were using a KJV, a NKJV, and a NIV and I noticed that the bold portion below was different. It's obvious in life that money is not the only root for evil. There are such things as greed, arrogance, pride, selfishness, lust, etc.

In the posts below I found the KJV and RSV both use similar language but every other version I referenced added "types" or "sorts" to the text.

Can anyone explain this?

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. KJV

For the love of money is the root of all evils; it is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced their hearts with many pangs. RSV

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. NKJV

For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. NASB

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. NIV

For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows. NLT

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, and in their eagerness to be rich some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains. NRSVCE

Anyone that studies the word will in time come to see there are things we believe, or have been taught that need to be reexamined.
You give a great example of that, I have certain scriptures that have taken on a complete different meaning to me in time. When I do look back I think, how could I have ever believed such a thing.
At the time it was the understanding that I had, and it keeps the believer hungry and in the word, but growth depends on my yielding to the HolySpirit.
We can not read it once and say we got it, we continue in the word. The word is alive, and a person.
There is truth we may never come to, and there is truth waiting to open up to the believer.
Truth is a person as well, in that person is a world that has never been explored (for lack of a better word,) a journey beyond carnal comprehension.

Last edited:
The question is, which is the correct understanding? Are the KJV and RSV translations incorrect? If not, are all of the others? Is there other Scripture that clarifies this?

I dont see that they say anything different.... just a different way of saying the same thing.. .one translation seems to be a bit more explanatory

Hi there WIP. From what I know of you, you're very smart in the Scriptures and probably already told your class this. The difference between the translations is because of the people who are doing the translating. Which Greek manuscripts they are using. Sometimes the age and experience of translating original manuscripts causes variations in certain texts.

Personally, when I teach, I use the KJV and the ESV depending on the needs of the class. The other translations are useful in seeing how the translators added a word because they thought it was needed to help the reader understand better. Any class should know that there are variations in all translations and it's ok. It's when a translation leaves out vital information about the Gospel and Christ Jesus that a warning should be put forth.

May God bless you with His wisdom as you teach those precious souls.

The question is, which is the correct understanding? Are the KJV and RSV translations incorrect? If not, are all of the others? Is there other Scripture that clarifies this?

Correct, and I agree with what Reba said. I feel an individual can read any translation they feel comfortable with.
There are things we can grab intellectually, they are very black and white. Then there are the deep things, 1st Cor. 2:9-14.
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

It doesn't matter what you are reading, must be revealed.
To some up the matter on your question, its my understanding that "to the pure, all things are pure."

Last edited:

You can't go wrong with the KJV. Those KJV manuscripts are used by many other translators who feel the church needs a new translation. The others are not wrong. Much like Reba said. When a translation leaves out vital words relating to the cross, Salvation, Jesus Christ, or Gods will, that when I don't use them.

As I said, other than the KJV which is so different in speech than how we speak today, I trust the ESV as closest to the original manuscripts. There are foot notes that explain if something from the KJV has been changed. The King James only folk would disagree with me.

Can anyone explain this?

Scripture is God breathed. (2 Tim 3:16) But this goes ONLY for original Script, not translations. Every evil comes from the Adamic nature of man (men are born with a sin nature) Gen. 6:5-7. But money is a catalyst. It produces all of these evils: Pride, envy, anger, murder, thievery, self righteousness, plotting against your fellow man, jealousy, selfishness, false security, idolatry, wars and death. You will always find that the well to do or rich men and even men that just make a good financial living defend that there is nothing wrong with having a lot of money, usually because they have it. Money and bartering and stealing started with Cane (Works of Josephus Vol. 2, Book 1, Chapter 2, page 70-71) Before that, everything was mutual between mankind. God never intended for men to have money, this is an attribute of Satan through Cain. Much more to say, but this is enough for now.

Back