Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] 100 reasons why evolution is stupid.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
johnmuise said:
They come from stars.
Nuclear fusion fuses together H atoms into He, then eventually when there is enough He, these start to fuse together with other H & He atoms to make Li and Be, and the process goes on and on. Eventually the star blows up (supernova) and the elements are spread out all over the universe.
I've probably missed some important details there, not really my area.

I was told that you can't fuse past iron.
That's not true, but a common misunderstanding. Up to iron nuclear fusion is self-sustaining. Beyond that it is not, and the reaction comes to an end unless it receives an input of energy. In a supernova this input of energy is given (albeit not for long).

However, many new elements even past uranium have been discovered by fusion even in the lab.

Roughly two thirds down this page there is a table which shows how certain elements have been synthesized by such means:
http://hypertextbook.com/physics/modern ... synthesis/

E.g. Curium is formed by fusing Plutonium with Helium. Another process which forms heavier elements is neutron capture, e.g. used to synthesize Plutonium 239 from Uranium 238.

jwu said:
johnmuise said:
They come from stars.
Nuclear fusion fuses together H atoms into He, then eventually when there is enough He, these start to fuse together with other H & He atoms to make Li and Be, and the process goes on and on. Eventually the star blows up (supernova) and the elements are spread out all over the universe.

That's not true, but a common misunderstanding. Up to iron nuclear fusion is self-sustaining. Beyond that it is not, and the reaction comes to an end unless it receives an input of energy. In a supernova this input of energy is given (albeit not for long).

However, many new elements even past uranium have been discovered by fusion even in the lab.

Roughly two thirds down this page there is a table which shows how certain elements have been synthesized by such means:
http://hypertextbook.com/physics/modern ... synthesis/

E.g. Curium is formed by fusing Plutonium with Helium. Another process which forms heavier elements is neutron capture, e.g. used to synthesize Plutonium 239 from Uranium 238.

So in a nutshell, this guy failed at refuting evolution almost before he got started.

johnmuise said:
Patashu said:
johnmuise said:
How can one tell what happens with elements in a supernova? did the voyager fly into one lately ?
The behavior of all stellar activity including supernova is predicted and confirmed by all the laws of physics and atomic theory we have discovered through experiments here on Earth. IE, a simulation of a star running on known physical laws matches the behavior over time that we see in a real star. We know what happens in a supernova because the laws of physics are the same in all parts of the universe.

Yes ok, but still, how could all the elements we have come from these ?

I hope you realize -- You are asking for a "story" not "Science".

You will never be dissappointed if you are simply seeking for "more stories" -- you are going to the right source.

Bob

johnmuise said:
They come from stars.

k

the sun can not fuse past iron because it is not hot enough. But there are bigger, hotter suns out there.

Small stars: The smallest stars only convert hydrogen into helium.
Medium-sized stars (like our Sun): Late in their lives, when the hydrogen becomes depleted, stars like our Sun can convert helium into oxygen and carbon.
Massive stars (greater than five times the mass of the Sun): When their hydrogen becomes depleted, high mass stars convert helium atoms into carbon and oxygen, followed by the fusion of carbon and oxygen into neon, sodium, magnesium, sulfur and silicon. Later reactions transform these elements into calcium, iron, nickel, chromium, copper and others. When these old, large stars with depleted cores supernova, they create heavy elements (all the natural elements heavier than iron) and spew them into space, forming the basis for life.
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjec ... sion.shtml

However a number of sources agree with you John about stars not normally producing elements above FE and needing to "supernova" to get beyond that -- here is an easy one on the web

Explosive nucleosynthesis
Main articles: R process, Rp process, and Supernova nucleosynthesis
This includes supernova nucleosynthesis, and produces the elements heavier than iron by an intense burst of nuclear reactions that typically last but seconds during the explosion of the supernova core. In explosive environments of supernovae, the elements between silicon and nickel are synthesized by fast fusion. Also in supernovae further nucleosynthesis processes can occur, such as the r process , in which the most neutron-rich isotopes of elements heavier than nickel are produced by rapid absorption of free neutrons released during the explosions. It is responsible for our natural cohort of radioactive elements, such as uranium and thorium, as well as the most neutron-rich isotopes of each heavy element.

The rp process involves the rapid absorption of free protons as well as neutrons, but its role is less certain.

Explosive nucleosynthesis occurs too rapidly for radioactive decay to increase the number of neutrons, so that many abundant isotopes having equal even numbers of protons and neutrons are synthesized. These include 44Ti , 48Cr , 52Fe , and 56Ni , all of which decay after the explosion to create abundant stable isobars at each atomic weight. Many such decays are accompanied by emission of gamma-ray lines capable of identifying the isotope that has just been created in the explosion.

The most convincing proof of explosive nucleosynthesis in supernovae occurred in 1987 when gamma-ray lines were detected emerging from supernova 1987A. Gamma ray lines identifying 56Co and 57Co , whose radioactive halflives limit their age to about a year, proved that 56Fe and 57Fe were created by radioactive parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleosynthesis

Bob

This is the same guy who's in jail for tax evasion?
And the same one who claimed scientists can both accelerate the speed of light to past c and slow it down to a trickle?

Yes. Yes it is. The man's a fool.

Ellusion said:
This is the same guy who's in jail for tax evasion?
And the same one who claimed scientists can both accelerate the speed of light to past c and slow it down to a trickle?

Yes. Yes it is. The man's a fool.

Dr. Kent Hovind Gets Ten Years: Because of Religion, or Tax Fraud?
January 31, 2007 02:36 PM EST

Everyone knows Lady Justice is blind but now we know she is bigoted as well! Case in point: Dr. Kent Hovind was recently sentenced to ten years in jail. Kent argued that his ministry was tax exempt and cited the IRS code to support his case! He wrote the IRS many times asking them why he was wrong if, in fact, he was wrong. They never responded! Arrogance? Incompetence? Whatever the reason, an American citizen could not get a reply from the very people who should have been able, even eager, to help.

Kent’s enemies are painting him as a greedy tax resister when he has said repeatedly that he will pay all the taxes he owes. He could not get any response from the IRS nor did the judge, prosecutor, or anyone else inform him why his ministry was not exempt from taxes as are hundreds of thousands of similar organizations. Therefore, he spends ten years in the Big House. That’s where they send killers, traitors, rapists, child molesters, armed robbers, and other Very Bad Guys.

Well, not always. If you are a celebrity entertainer, liberal politician, or sports figure, you can usually get probation; only a slap on the wrists. Sometimes a fine.

Note that Senator Ted Kennedy while driving drunk, with a young woman in his car, drove off a bridge and swam away leaving her to die a slow death as she used what oxygen was available. Justice? He is sitting in the U.S. Senate and some fools take him seriously while Kent Hovind sits in prison.

Massachusetts Congressman Barney Frank, an admitted pervert, confirmed that his Washington apartment had been used as a callboy headquarters by a male prostitute for a year and a half until late 1987. So, Barney’s lover-boy was using his apartment as a callboy ring to make a little money on the side. Barney did not go to jail, did not lose his seat in Congress. I’m not sure if he passed go and collected $200.00. Maybe his lover can tell us that. However, Kent Hovind sits in prison while Barney sits in Congress making laws that we are expected to obey.

The late Massachusetts Congressman Studds plied a sixteen-year-old male page with liquor and seduced him, and tried to seduce two other male pages. After admitting his seduction of the male page and taking him on an 18-day trip to Europe (where they had sex every two days) Studds was reelected to Congress 6 times! He didnt spend a day in court or jail! He sat in Congress but Kent Hovind sits in prison.

Would it be all right if I pointed out that when Republican Congressman Foley admitted to sending salacious e-mails to a male page, he was almost drawn and quartered on the Capitol steps. His crime? There was no crime, and the e-mails did not contain any sexually explicit language. Furthermore, there was no indication that Foley had tried to meet with the teenage boy. However, the Florida Congressman was hounded out of office. Foley may be a pervert, and if so, Im glad he is out of office, but compare his treatment with that of the above proved perverts! It depends on your worldview: Foley was cast as a conservative Republican and Studds and Frank as liberal Democrats!

But it gets worse!

Andrew James of Vermont molested a four-year-old at least ten times, admitted it and walked away with probation and a $22 fine! He had three other convictions and Judge David Howard could have sentenced him to life in prison and a $50,000 fine. The judge is a jerk!

Mark Hulett, a 34-year-old, pled guilty to aggravated sexual assault on the daughter of a friend from the time she was six to age 10! The prosecutor asked for 8-20 years in the slammer but Judge Edward Cashman gave him 60 days! That esteemed judge has esteemed rocks in his head.

I could bore you with numerous cases of schoolteachers who took advantage of their position, seduced students, and walked away with probation, although usually the men go to prison and the females go free! And have you noticed that screaming feminists are not demanding equal treatment between male and female predators?

There are recent cases where rapists and killers walk away with probation and Kent Hovind sits in prison for ten years! Folks, theres gotta be more to it than meets the eye. Your Federal Government wanted to “get†an outspoken Christian and they did. All right, so Kent made a mistake in judgment, and even if he is guilty, don't sane people think his sentence is excessive? After all, didn't Kent tell them he would pay any taxes they showed him he owed? Is it possible that they got him, not for taxes, but for religion? The Feds didn't like his outspoken brand of Christianity.

Yes, Lady Justice is blind, dumb, stupid, and bigoted as is obvious in the case of Dr. Kent Hovind who sits in prison as I write this piece. And if it could happen to him, it could and might happen to you or me. Maybe Bible believing Christians should do as Chinese Christians and keep a small bag packed with personal things waiting for that ominous knock on the door: were from the Federal Government and we're here to get you.

Copyright 2007, Don Boys, Ph.D.

Dr. Don Boys is a former member of the Indiana House of Representatives, author of 13 books, frequent guest on television and radio talk shows, and wrote columns for USA Today for 8 years His most recent book is ISLAM: America's Trojan Horse! His websites are cstnews.com and muslimfact.com

That tag would be accurate, but I don't see what that has to do with Kent Hovind being almost certainly guilty of tax fraud.

Snidey said:
That tag would be accurate, but I don't see what that has to do with Kent Hovind being almost certainly guilty of tax fraud.
Render onto ceasers what is ceasers.... the problem is..it was not ceasers. :lol:

What's a ceaser? Someone who stops doing everything? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it means banned but not sure.
it might be given out to people who are simply..not Christian.

johnmuise said:
Dr. Kent Hovind Gets Ten Years: Because of Religion, or Tax Fraud?
January 31, 2007 02:36 PM EST

Everyone knows Lady Justice is blind but now we know she is bigoted as well! Case in point: Dr. Kent Hovind was recently sentenced to ten years in jail. Kent argued that his ministry was tax exempt and cited the IRS code to support his case! He wrote the IRS many times asking them why he was wrong if, in fact, he was wrong. They never responded! Arrogance? Incompetence? Whatever the reason, an American citizen could not get a reply from the very people who should have been able, even eager, to help.

Kent’s enemies are painting him as a greedy tax resister when he has said repeatedly that he will pay all the taxes he owes. He could not get any response from the IRS nor did the judge, prosecutor, or anyone else inform him why his ministry was not exempt from taxes as are hundreds of thousands of similar organizations. Therefore, he spends ten years in the Big House. That’s where they send killers, traitors, rapists, child molesters, armed robbers, and other Very Bad Guys.

Well, not always. If you are a celebrity entertainer, liberal politician, or sports figure, you can usually get probation; only a slap on the wrists. Sometimes a fine.

Note that Senator Ted Kennedy while driving drunk, with a young woman in his car, drove off a bridge and swam away leaving her to die a slow death as she used what oxygen was available. Justice? He is sitting in the U.S. Senate and some fools take him seriously while Kent Hovind sits in prison.

Massachusetts Congressman Barney Frank, an admitted pervert, confirmed that his Washington apartment had been used as a callboy headquarters by a male prostitute for a year and a half until late 1987....

Sorry to hear about Hovind. I think that they got Al Capone on tax fraud when they really wanted him for his crimes as a mob boss. Maybe that is the case with Hovind -- they wanted him for debunking atheist darwinism but could only make a case "stick in court" using his tax exempt status request history.

Thankfully God has just scales and balances and one day it will balance out --

The fool has said in his heart "there is no God" ...

Bob

johnmuise said:
I think it means banned but not sure.
it might be given out to people who are simply..not Christian.

The board is open to atheists -- in fact on the "what do you believe" thread a number of active posters have said that they are either agnostic or atheist. I don't think that get's you band ... the board is deliberately open to both Christians and atheists... but I think there are some "Christians only" forums here.

So my question is - is there such a think as a "non-Christian tag" on this board?

Bob

Snidey said:

Kent Hovind's finances are not the "subject" of this thread -- it may be a "rabbit trail " for some of the atheist darwinists to harp on -- but does not change the subject.

Bob

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back