Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

A Carnal Christian....Is there such a thing????

jgredline

I have heard through the years that there is no such thing as a Carnal Christian... Now according to this verse 1 it would seem to imply that there is.
According to verse 3 it would seem to say that there is not..... What say you?

1 cor 3:1-4 nkjv
And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; 3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? 4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,†and another, “I am of Apollos,†are you not carnal?

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

:-D

I found this paragraph to be in line with what I believe..... The overall article is pretty good. I have not read the other one yet...

God always chastens and disciplines His children who sin. If they do not experience chastening, they are not truly His children, but spiritual bastards. Hebrews 12:7-8 explicitly states this: "What son is there whom his father does not discipline? But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons." The specific purpose for which He disciplines us is "for our good, that we may share His holiness" (Heb. 12:10).

Excerpted from John MacArthur, Faith Works: The Gospel According to the Apostles, (Dallas: Word Publishing) 1997, pp. 127-129.

I do believe that there are ''many Carnal'' Christians who are living miserable lives....

Taking a closer look at the verse you ( Vic )posted

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

True...A Carnal Christian will not have the understanding of the Holy Scriptures....Not while he/she is on Milk....
What really stood out to me in these two verses is ''longsuffering''....
This word in the Greek means 1 patience, endurance, constancy, steadfastness, perseverance. 2 patience, forbearance, longsuffering, slowness in avenging wrongs.

The word ''Longsuffering'' does not do our God (Jesus) justice.....All those words together help, but still fall short....

I know many do not believe that there is such a thing as a Carnal Christian and I would like to know why?

Of course Christians can be carnal, and they will barely get into heaven. I have said this before, but when we don't renew our minds by the Word of God, we can really open ourselves to temptation, and make mistakes in our walk. We also must be a doer of the Word. We are saved by grace through faith when we are saved, but the rest is up to us to cooperate with the grace of God. Then we can go from faith to faith, and glory to glory.

May God bless, Golfjack

Re: reply

golfjack said:
Of course Christians can be carnal, and they will barely get into heaven. I have said this before, but when we don't renew our minds by the Word of God, we can really open ourselves to temptation, and make mistakes in our walk. We also must be a doer of the Word. We are saved by grace through faith when we are saved, but the rest is up to us to cooperate with the grace of God. Then we can go from faith to faith, and glory to glory.

May God bless, Golfjack

Yes, I agree with this jack and little angel.

I ask because in the video that here http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=26803 the preacher goes on to say that there is no such thing as a Carnal Christian. I have also heard this taught by many SoutherN Baptist as well... I have heard this mentioned on this board already....Many Folks would say that a Carnal Christian is one who lost or will loose his salvation :o

Gabbylittleangel said:
In what way does verse 3 seem to say not?

BTW, Yes, Christians can be carnal.

little angel
when verse 3 is placed by itself it is clearly out of context...Many will read verse three and say'' there is noway that is describing a Christian''...

3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?

Did anyone ever consider the fact if one tells a believer he has lost his salvation because he is too carnal, that he could have a nervous breakdown or keep himself locked in his bedroom.? What good is he then for the Kingdom?

If the only way one can lose their salvation is that they weren't saved in the first place, consider the fact they had no salvation to lose.

May God bless, Golfjack

If I may interject my 2-cents to stir the pot a little, what exactly do we mean when we say "carnal Christian"? Because we by one definition might fit the criteria (since we still sin), while by another couldn't possibly fit it (because we are not dominated by sin, not slave to the flesh, and carnality is not our nature). Paul said that it was no longer him who sinned but his flesh in him, making a distinction between the real "him" and his flesh which is not our defining nature (because we have died to the flesh). Now I have a difficult question which I fear there is no quick answer to: Are babes in Christ really saved? Now I am inclined to say yes when I see "in Christ" but almost the whole book of 1 John says that those who are God's will no longer live a lifestyle of sin. So this either means that they are not saved or they will inevitably persevere to a point past their "carnality" (of which Paul does not equate with all Christians, but only with these so-called "babes"). So which one is it? Either is quite an admission. Does anyone have something they can throw back at me on this?

Cyber, We as Born Again believers have no sin nature anymore. The old is gone. Can a believer still sin? Of course. Does his spirit sin? No because God is in us. Do you really think that God could live in our spirits with sin? No. You see, the problem is our soul and flesh. Satan has no access to our spirits, but he can give us thoughts in our soulish realm. The battlefield is the soul of man, and if he acts on what the devil is saying, then it is a fleshly issue. Hope this helps.

May God bless, Golfjack

cybershark5886 said:
... what exactly do we mean when we say "carnal Christian"?

Could it be when one says, “I am a Catholic,†and another, “I am of a Pentecostal,†are you not carnal?

What about the person who says "The Sinner's Prayer" totally believing in Jesus Christ, becoming born again - then has little or nothing to do with 'religion' afterwards.

I believe that the carnal Christian Paul speaks of, may be crucified, hanging on the cross, but not yet dead to self. Not yet risen in the power of the resurrection. Somehow that seems to contradict the term born again, doesn't it? To be born again, one must die to self first. :-?

Personally, my opinion of a carnal Christian, is one who abuses the grace that God has given him. He lives with the attitude "I can do anything I want, and still go to heaven when I die."

Gabby, you just described the unsaved person. And that also sounds like the person who Paul says recieves "the grace of God in vain". You decide the ramifications of that, but I asked that question above to force people's hand into admitting something. And I tend to agree with you... unless they truely were somehow redeemed and reborn, in which I must then conclude that they would have to persevere because a true Christian cannot remain in that carnal state, believers do not have carnality as a lifestyle. It would only have to be a beginning state, unless this is describing those who are babes in their understanding of the Gospel not yet understanding and accepting unto salvation (as those with their ears pluged). So this still requires a direct statment: Are the "babes" saved or not? Though I do agree with you that the way they are described smacks heavily of the unsaved.

Saved is saved. Period. Grow? Abide? Backslide? How far can one backslide until they are unborn again? We could rehash all of this, or just jump over to half a dozen other threads that are trying to decide who is going to heaven and who is going to hell.

You know what kind of a tree it is by what kind of fruit grows on it. Jesus told a parable about how tares look just like wheat until they both grow. Then you can tell them apart. He tells us to let them grow together, until it is time for the harvest.

A thread was started a while back that did not see very much activity. It was on 'The outer darkness'. There is very little in Scripture about it. What Scripture does have to say is that it is a place for 'wicked servants'. The word servant says to me that this is a Christian. One that fits into the category of thinking that they can live like the devil and still go to heaven.
It also seems to line up with the parable of the foolish virgins that had no oil in their lamps, and were shut out of the wedding ceremony when the bridegroom showed up. The parable seems to just leave them out there - in the outer darkness.

Once again, I am glad that I am not the one who decides who gets in and who does not...and equally glad that other Christians do not decide that either. God is God.

Hi J,

The reason I posted Peter is to bring to light the fact that many would misunderstand Paul and his words. Maybe that's the reason why Paul seems to contradict himself in the passage you quoted.

I thought there would be more Scripture posted for us to discuss, so if I may:

Jer 2:19 Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts.
Jer 2:20 For of old time I have broken thy yoke, and burst thy bands; and thou saidst, I will not transgress; when upon every high hill and under every green tree thou wanderest, playing the harlot.
Jer 2:21 Yet I had planted thee a noble vine, wholly a right seed: how then art thou turned into the degenerate plant of a strange vine unto me?

and:

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

and:

Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

Hey, I'm just moderating. :wink:

1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. 3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, F7 are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? 5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. 8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. 9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, F8 ye are God's building. 10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. 11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. 1 Corinthians 3:1-15

I have heard through the years that there is no such thing as a Carnal Christian... Now according to this verse 1 it would seem to imply that there is. According to verse 3 it would seem to say that there is not..... What say you?

Hi Javier, I am going back to the OP with my response. I apologize for the length, but most is Scripture, and I wanted to put it in context for everyone.

I would like to show that there are possibly three different things going on when we speak of carnality.

1.Carnal minded without the Spirit
2.Carnal minded in a particular area because of lack of maturity. 3.Carnality of the flesh, which we all suffer from, but delighting in God's law in our spirit.

1 Corinthians 2
6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

then Paul goes on to...

1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

If you look at all of these verses, Paul begins by giving those at Corinth a picture of the mature believer, the spiritual believer, and he desires to speak with them, and correct them, as mature believers, but first he must deal with the area that is keeping them from growth, and possibly from hearing the rest of his instructions.

The area in which they are acting carnally is sectarianism. This has led to envy, strife, and divisions among them...they were walking as men (carnal minded unbelievers), and not as ones in the Spirit, in the mind of Christ. I think Paul was revealing the character of what they were doing, to show them that it was at odds with God...even a trait of unbelief.

This does not imply to me that the modern definition of carnal christian is being spoken of here. I would define that as being one who believes they can love the world, look like the world, serve the world and love God, and serve God too. We know that no one can serve two masters.

It seems to me that they were struggling in particular area, and it was out of hand. Paul's response to their carnal mindedness in this area, was to correct them, not to leave them there and give them assurance of their place in the body...they were not having the mind of Christ in this matter, and he meant for them to repent for it, and to stop being carnal about such things. He tells them that it has led to envy, and strife, and these things are not honoring God.

I would like to address some other verses that speak of carnality.

Romans 8
1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Here Paul exhorts believers to holiness, and to no longer be slaves to sin, I will go on...

Chapter 7
No law has power over a man after his death
1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Here Paul says that the law is good, because it reveals sin, but that it is spiritual, and we, being in the flesh, are carnal. Here Paul speaks of carnality of the flesh, and that it struggles against the inward man who delights in God's law. This does not seem to be the same as 1 Corinthians, because the heart is willing to obey here.

The Corinthians were not having the mind of Christ...they were carnal minded in a certain area, and not delighting in God's law in that area. They were not having a heart of obedience in this. This is self focused, and selfish, and willful. It could be evidence of complete lawlessness if correction is not received, and repentance is not made. I think our reaction when we are being corrected for being carnal is very telling of our fruit, and may even help to grow us more, in some cases, if we are willing to be restored...that is God's work, however.

I would like to add, though, how can people react to correction, if they are not corrected? We probably have an epidemic of "carnal christians" because they are not being confronted about their sin, and not given an opportunity to repent, and grow. And,we also need more of the Word. That is just opinion.

last verses...

Romans 8

1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

I stopped here to highlight this portion, but I encourage all to read on. The carnal mind, which I think is different from carnality of the flesh, is at enmity with God...because it is not subject to the law of God...it's willful and self focused. This is just my take, and so I would say that believers suffer with a carnal flesh, and fail because of it, but they should always be walking with the mind of Christ, and delighting in God's laws in their spirit, inwardly.

However, he who is completely carnal minded, yet professing faith, is in a more dangerous position, and may not even be saved. This man is at enmity with God, and will be spewed out of His mouth.

As for the Corinthians, they were being carnal minded in a particular area, and Paul was calling them on it, and showing them that this is at odds with God. I would imagine that Paul's expectation by telling them this, was to cause them to repent, and hopefully to keep from this type of behavior again, and to be able to receive instruction in maturity, with the mind of Christ.

So, for me, there are at least three areas of carnality. Two do not lead to death if repented of and restored (which evidence of genuine belief), but one was already there because there was not faith to begin with.

As far as Paul Washer, I think he was combating the church's error in condoning carnal mindedness...the serving of two masters. He mentioned loving the world, and God, and we know that we are not to do that. 1 John speaks to this well, along with many other verse. The Lord bless all of you.

However, he who is completely carnal minded, yet professing faith, is in a more dangerous position, and may not even be saved. This man is at enmity with God, and will be spewed out of His mouth.

That is the real fine line which is hard to define, but yes I agree.

So, for me, there are at least three areas of carnality. Two do not lead to death if repented of and restored (which evidence of genuine belief), but one was already there because there was not faith to begin with.

Once again, yes, a very fine line, yet true. And you seem to hold the same belief that I currently hold about salvation that those who have genuine belief (which results in eternal life and salvation - though both are bestowed on us now) will be preserved to a degree where those who demonstrate no faith had no evidence of ever having been born again.

But the big question here: Which criteria do the "babes in Christ" fit under, as I asked on the last page? Is it safe to assume that since they are "in Christ" that they will persevere and repent to a point of not being completely passive to their carnality?

Back