Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] A New Found Planet

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Here are the top 10 worlds worst weeds, some I recognize...number 1 is nutgrass,
2 is windmill grass, 3 is barnyard grass, 5 is paspalum grass, 6 Johnson grass, 7 is Blady grass, And 10 is Fat Hen. Then there's CockGrass or Cheat grass or the smooth rye grass that mimic's wheat and becomes the worst weed with wheat.

My question is where do weeds come from? Are they just normal plants taking advantage of a man made habitat ?

These are all flowering plants, so at the earliest, their last common ancestor was a bit over 200 million years ago. Bermuda is commonly cultivated in lawns in the southern U.S., and Mrs. Barbarian raises purslane in her front garden it's quite heat and drought resistant, and has beautiful flowers. Edible too. In much of Europe and Asia, it's used as a vegetable.

Purslane seems to have been distributed around the globe by humans. Cheatgrass originated in the same area as wheat, in western asia, and seems to have been carried with wheat farming cultures around the world.

Not familiar with the others. Is there point?

Not to derail where this discussion has gone...
exoplanets used to be a fearful problem (specially from the pulpits of unlearned men who speculated other human races would exist on them influenced more by evolution than they realized). Jesus would have to die again for those alleged races and so on. To which I countered in later discussion that if there be other races in the universe they got a raw deal because the Bible teaches the whole creation suffers due to human since here on Earth.

We look around us and see nature which is a system of natural functions God created and set into motion (to maintain this life bubble in which we live). A think which gave deists the basis for their beliefs that God did everything that way. He did not. But he did more than just the functions of nature down here. The entire universe is a system of natural functions created by God and set into motion also to maintain this life bubble in which we live. The Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence organization (in the 1970's) set out to establish the mathematical possibility of life forming in the universe. They used Earth as a known element to basis for the math and were shocked by the numbers.

It seems in order for life as we know it to even exist there is a vast number of balances that must occur and remain. The distance of the earth from the sun for example. The tilt of its axis. The ability of water to freeze from the top down. And on and on and on.

The SETI types ran mathematically smack dab into the anthropic principle. That the entire universe seems to have been designed to make life possible and to sustain it on this one little planet.

Exoplanets are no big deal. There are other planets in this solar system that we have known about for a very long time. So what? None of them can sustain life.

It seems in order for life as we know it to even exist there is a vast number of balances that must occur and remain. The distance of the earth from the sun for example.

When it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere, we are about a million miles farther from the Sun than we are in the winter. Why doesn't that matter? Look up "inverse square law."

The tilt of its axis.

Over time, the tilt of the Earth changes. Dosen't seem to have wiped out life at any point.

I hate nothing more than a bad argument for a correct conclusion. This is like a puddle arguing that the depression in the ground was designed just for it.

Barbarian, you write well about weeds, but you did not answer my question....

Not familiar with the others. Is there point?

Do we assume evolution was part of God's creation from the beginning...do you have a Bible text for that ?
Or do we assume evolution came only after Adam sinned? do you have a text for that ?
You see I asked you WHERE did weeds come from ? yes, we know biologically they are plants.....that's not my question though....my question concerns the DNA inside the plants.....

SHalom

When it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere, we are about a million miles farther from the Sun than we are in the winter. Why doesn't that matter? Look up "inverse square law."

The inertial effects of a 93m mile and 97m mile a.u. also strikes that balance. As I said, I was not trying to derail the discussion and bringing in the nth degree sub-point would have.

Over time, the tilt of the Earth changes. Dosen't seem to have wiped out life at any point.

There is evidence of a single tilt. More than one is sheer conjecture. The cause of that one tilt was the global deluge that would have wiped out all life if God had not instructed Noah to build an ark.

If you wish to debate these things at any further length, Barbarian, I suggest you start another thread to do so. I will not derail this one any further refuting your arguments.

Do we assume evolution was part of God's creation from the beginning...do you have a Bible text for that ?

I don't have a Bible text for protons, or immune globulins, either. However, they are manifestly part of God's creation, from the beginning. Lots of things are part of His creation, and aren't mentioned in scripture.

You see I asked you WHERE did weeds come from ? yes, we know biologically they are plants.....that's not my question though....my question concerns the DNA inside the plants.....

I told you how they originated. What else do you want to know?

Barbarian, regarding the notion that the Earth must be precisely positioned from the Sun for life to exist:

The inertial effects of a 93m mile and 97m mile a.u. also strikes that balance.

Doesn't seem possible. Let's see your numbers.

Barbarian observes:

There is evidence of a single tilt.

Wrong.
Axial_precession.gif

Precessional movement of the Earth – the Earth rotates (white arrows) once a day about its axis of rotation (red); this axis itself rotates slowly (white circle), completing a rotation in approximately 26,000 years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_precession

The cause of that one tilt was the global deluge

Not possible. All the water on Earth wouldn't do that. Not only is it physically impossible, there's no scriptural support whatever for it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back