Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

A Personal Relationship with the Lord

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
These men are all great men, and I have learned much from them. I just think they occasionally misspoke.

That is merely a poor opinion. Christians who really know God and walk with Jesus Christ, empowered by His Spirit cannot say that, because we know it is a lie from the pit.

Where did Mark and Luke get direct quotes from Jesus?

I have no way of knowing, but Jesus is quoted directly throughout both of those Gospels.

There is a theory that a document, known as the Q document, contained the teachings of Jesus and was used by two or three of the Gospel writers.

I think I’ve also heard it suggested Matthew and/or Luke depended on the Gospel of Mark for some of its information.

I disagree with your take that part of the Bible is "more" infallible than any other section, nor do I agree with the idea that we even have to have the Apostles contradicting each other. It is a matter of incorrect interpretations on your part.

Jesus said the entire law rests on two commandments: We are to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls, and love our neighbors as ourselves. Paul says the entire law is based on one commandment: We are to love our neighbors as ourselves.

Jesus said the entire law rests on two commandments: We are to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls, and love our neighbors as ourselves. Paul says the entire law is based on one commandment: We are to love our neighbors as ourselves.

It's like a broken record.

Taking offense to one verse in the Bible is taking offense at Jesus who is the Word and has furnished it for you. You will either have to swallow your pride and make a correction in your thinking, or you will have to get used to Christians correcting you consistently and continually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no way of knowing, but Jesus is quoted directly throughout both of those Gospels.

There is a theory that a document, known as the Q document, contained the teachings of Jesus and was used by two or three of the Gospel writers.

I think I’ve also heard it suggested Matthew and/or Luke depended on the Gospel of Mark for some of its information.

Elijah,

The point of my question "Where did Mark and Luke get their quotes" was to direct you to the fact that the Holy Spirit is guiding the work of these men who are teaching the Gospel, whether orally or by written word. Naturally, Mark and Luke did not witness to Jesus in the flesh directly nor heard Jesus' words. They heard them from Peter and James and John and others. The words of Paul in the Scriptures come from the same source.

It is true, there is an appearance of development in the understanding of the Gospel - we can see that when comparing Galatians to Ephesians. However, we believe that the SAME SPIRIT is behind the inspired words written by either Paul or by Mark. Paul's words also originate from God.

As to your "contradiction", one must make some lattitude for issues in grammar and intent. Was Paul making an absolute statement that "all is fulfilled by one commmand"? Do we speak like that, not intending to use absolutes literally, but doing so for emphasis?

For example, if I say "The whole city was at the party", do I mean this in the literal sense, that every single human being within the city was present? When the Bible says we are saved by faith, does the rule out other places where the Bible says we are saved by hope, works, baptism or repentance? Or can it be that the author did not intend on making an absolute statement?

This is why it is important to read all the Scriptures and be more careful in assuming that Mark is more worthy of reading than James or Peter just because Mark quotes Jesus. (the later two knew Jesus, Mark did not...)

Regards

Elijah,

The point of my question "Where did Mark and Luke get their quotes" was to direct you to the fact that the Holy Spirit is guiding the work of these men who are teaching the Gospel, whether orally or by written word.

Someone wrote down the words Jesus spoke. They did not invent his sermons after he died.

Naturally, Mark and Luke did not witness to Jesus in the flesh directly nor heard Jesus' words. They heard them from Peter and James and John and others. The words of Paul in the Scriptures come from the same source.

Anybody who could read, write, and hear could copy the words of Jesus.

No one completely understands the will of the Lord, yet:

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. 1 Cor 13:12 RSV

Anybody who could read, write, and hear could copy the words of Jesus.

No one completely understands the will of the Lord, yet:

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. 1 Cor 13:12 RSV

Even reading the words of Jesus do not enable us to completely understand the Will of the Lord. What's your point? That merely "hearing" the words of Jesus was enough? Numerous people heard the words of Jesus and were unfazed or remained unconverted. And why does Jesus tell the Apostles to preach all that He taught? Do you believe they failed that commission?

Regards

Many people know the will of the Lord. You have to know it to do it.

If you spurn the meat of the word, then you wouldn't know this:

Romans 12:2 NLT
Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Maybe most tribe's in our modern period have had the opportunity to hear the word but what about past tribes before air travel etc. Million's of people from the past must have died before missionaries could travel great distances and teach the word.

I believe the Word is pretty clear that the Gospel was sent into the whole world. Not only did the Apostles and all the disciples go out, but at Pentecost, alone, there were three thousand souls that were saved and they went out. The world was smaller (population wise) and grew...just as the Gospel did.
Acts 1:8 said:
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
Acts 2:41 said:
Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Colossians 1:5-6 said:
For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel; Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:
Colossians 1:23 said:
If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
We see in Romans 1:8 their faith is spoken "throughout the whole world", and in Romans 16:25-26 the Gospel is "now made manifest...made known to all nations." I have no doubt, by the grace of God, all who God knew would come heard the Gospel message.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back