Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

A Spiritual Revolution

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
A

AHIMSA

Many Christians approach the so called New Age movement with animosity, for they realize the broad, religious shift is occurring within Western society. A shift which is, more or less, becoming known as the New Age Movement. People’s views are changing and they are beginning to reject the God that has been preached to them for, possibly, the last two millennia. I also suspect that this frightens you. Seeing as these ideas are so often in such clear contradiction to the doctrines and theologies of your own faith. It disturbed me too, that is, when I was still a literalist Christian. But let us look beyond the mesh of fundamentalism, let us sweep away the constraints that come with such arrogant assertions as “This is the only pathâ€Â, so that, perhaps, this movement can be seen for what it truly is; a revolution.
Yes, we have come to this word, revolution. And I think we are all well aware of what connotations arrive with such a choice of words. For with revolution comes the implication of rebel, yes heated, passionate…unreasonable rebels who are blinded by the fervor of their own cause. Revolutions, which have disastrous effects, which, though seeking to establish peace, harmony and justice, result in chaos, bloodshed and further conflict. Revolutions, which are rooted in improper causes.
Is this ever the case? Certainly. But it is not so in the case of this revolution, the Spiritual Revolution. In which the people, perhaps in response to hundreds and hundreds of years of church dominance, oppression and control, are finally coming to retake something that was once theirs; their souls. Yes, it is time that the Western world fully undo the grasp of Christian tyranny. However, we must never confuse this Christian tyranny with Christianity itself. For Christianity is a religion that never preached the abuse and despotism that has so often been used in accordance with its name.

“When you invite people to think, you are inviting revolution" Ivana Gabara

This is the place on which this Spiritual Revolution stands, upon the pillars of thought. It is a revolution of spirituality, a revolution of ideas. For centuries the Church did not allow us to think. Even today, in the name of true religion, in the name of infallibility, free thought is restricted to the limitations of a faith thrust upon
people. But now, we can think for ourselves, and the logical consequence is revolution. Perhaps, this is the beginning of the realization of the dreams of many who have fought for a more tolerant faith. Thomas Merton, the famous Christian monk, stated:

“ The only thing that can save this world from a complete moral collapse is a spiritual revolution. Christianity, by its very nature, demands such a revolution. If Christians would all live up to what they profess to believe, the revolution would happen. The desire for otherworldliness, detachment and union with God is the most fundamental expression of this revolutionary spirit.†Merton

This, fortunately, is not restricted to Christianity alone. But the so called New Age Movement, captures the very essence of this revolution, and directs its ideas towards all religions that have grown stale through their immobility.

We can not, I suppose, even call it the New Age Movement at all. For it based on nothing new. It is based on the very things that have been echoed by many of history’s spiritual founders and leaders for millennia. For the Christian, it is not a command to abandon his or her religion. Rather it is a command to embrace it, to return to the spirit in which the Gospels and the Bible were written.

It is not the modern equivalent of ancient idolatry, it is not making God into the image of man. Rather it is the assertion, the return to the realization that humanity exists, and always will exist in the image of the eternal God. It is regarding the virtues of love, mercy and compassion as the very source of our faith.

So it is here that I will confront, which many regard as the most terrible of heresies, that is, the unity between humanity and God. The ‘oneness’ that exists between us. Which, for me at least, is the corner stone of this Spiritual Revolution. I shall illustrate how I see God: Imagine a vast and beautiful lake. Great tall pine trees stand on the banks, a great expanse of sky stands above with wisps of cloud. This is all God: The lake, the sky, the trees and clouds. We, human beings, are the reflection upon that water. At times, the water can become murky, or distilled and the reflection may no longer be clear. But allow the waters to still, and the reflection is perfect.
It must first be noted that this assertion, that God is intertwined in humanity, is the greatest of all safeguards in securing human dignity. For when we see God in each other, how much harder does it become to hurt them?
“When you do this for the least of my brothers, you do it for meâ€Â

It always baffles me how Christians can somehow assert that there exists no unity between God and man, that they are not, in any sense of the word, intertwined. For this is the very heart of the Christian message. To ignore this is, in my opinion, to side step Christianity completely. To illustrate this, we must turn to Christ, whom to the Christian, is God and represents God to us.
Now, does the Bible not say that Christ is within us? Does Paul not say that: “You have clothed yourselves in Christ. There is neither Greek nor Jew, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all ONE in Christ Jesusâ€Â

This can not be ignored. You are all ONE in Christ, we are told. Does this not speak volumes of both human unity, and our unity with God who is expressed in Christ?
“There is one body and one spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, one Lord, One God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in allâ€Â

Is Christ not the very symbol of humanity’s full potential? Is it not in Christ that the ultimate unity of God and man is expressed? Is Christ not the expression of limitless, boundless, selfless love…to which we are all called.
This is the very message of the cross, that we must give ourselves away completely in love. For Christ said:
“If anyone would come after me, he must DENY HIMSELF, take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it. But who ever loses his life for my sake will find it.â€Â

What does Jesus mean by “take up his cross?†Simply that we must ‘put to death our sinful nature’ as Paul said. Why is this? Only So that we can come to realize our full, divine nature. That is, the nature that is expressed in the story of Eden. When we put to death of selfishness, when we come to realize the essential unity of God and man, we have then shared in the new life of Christ.

“All of us who are called to a serious way of life are called to face the blackness of this ourselves and of our world. If we are to have victory through the risen Christ over death we have to pass through death…or arise out of our own death. It means seeing death and hell within ourselves. I never imagined, when I was a novice, what it would mean to suffer the darkness which he himself suffers in me.†Thomas Merton

It is not through asserting in some kind of belief of atonement that we are ‘saved’. For beliefs themselves are empty unless through produce action. We are not saved by some divine formula, that is: Me + Belief in Jesus Christ = Salvation. For in this, there is no substance. You can truly believe that Jesus died FOR you, all you want. But that does not mean you yourself will have ‘died’.
But rather we are saved by putting to death our selfish nature and sharing in the resurrection of the transfigured Jesus….in awakening to our own nature and full loving potential.

This post is......

EXPANSIVE
LIBERATING
INGENIOUS
HOPEFUL
OPTIMISTIC
LOVING
TRUTHFUL

This is the place on which this Spiritual Revolution stands, upon the pillars of thought. It is a revolution of spirituality, a revolution of ideas. For centuries the Church did not allow us to think. Even today, in the name of true religion, in the name of infallibility, free thought is restricted to the limitations of a faith thrust upon
people. But now, we can think for ourselves, and the logical consequence is revolution. Perhaps, this is the beginning of the realization of the dreams of many who have fought for a more tolerant faith. Thomas Merton, the famous Christian monk, stated:

“ The only thing that can save this world from a complete moral collapse is a spiritual revolution. Christianity, by its very nature, demands such a revolution. If Christians would all live up to what they profess to believe, the revolution would happen. The desire for otherworldliness, detachment and union with God is the most fundamental expression of this revolutionary spirit.†Merton

This "revolution" you speak of was sparked well by Christ Jesus. People were becoming free from man made idols and this resulted in the crucifixtion of this liberating Power.

The ability to seek God on an individual level is exactly what the Church represses. If it does not fit into the alchemy of there hivemind doctrine than you are labeled a heretic!

Good post Ahimsa and thanks for Lighting up the Truth on these forums!

Come on. I could make up a better belief system than anything "New Age".

Soma-Sight said:
This post is......

EXPANSIVE
LIBERATING
INGENIOUS
HOPEFUL
OPTIMISTIC
LOVING
TRUTHFUL
And a great big load of dung.

AHIMSA said:
This, fortunately, is not restricted to Christianity alone. But the so called New Age Movement, captures the very essence of this revolution, and directs its ideas towards all religions that have grown stale through their immobility.

New Age doesn’t emphasis on Morality; Mysticism is the supplement for morality

AHIMSA said:
We, human beings, are the reflection upon that water. At times, the water can become murky, or distilled and the reflection may no longer be clear. But allow the waters to still, and the reflection is perfect.â€Â

“To illustrate this, we must turn to Christ, whom to the Christian, is God and represents God to us.
Now, does the Bible not say that Christ is within us? Does Paul not say that: “You have clothed yourselves in Christ? There is neither Greek nor Jew, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all ONE in Christ Jesusâ€Â

This can not be ignored. You are all ONE in Christ, we are told. Does this not speak volumes of both human unity, and our unity with God who is expressed in Christ?â€Â

As usual out of context , Read the previous verse for the context

Galatians 3:27 “For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.â€Â

If a person was born again then there is no distinction in the church (Group of saved people) neither Greek nor Jew, slave nor free, male nor female, for we are all ONE in Christ Jesus rather eastern mysticism says Brahmin is higher than Shudra !

AHIMSA said:
What does Jesus mean by “take up his cross?†Simply that we must ‘put to death our sinful nature’ as Paul said. Why is this? Only So that we can come to realize our full, divine nature. That is, the nature that is expressed in the story of Eden. When we put to death of selfishness, when we come to realize the essential unity of God and man, we have then shared in the new life of Christâ€Â

How to out the sinful nature into death?, Not by mysticism or yoga !

AHIMSA said:
“We are not saved by some divine formula, that is: Me + Belief in Jesus Christ = Salvation. For in this, there is no substance. You can truly believe that Jesus died FOR you, all you want. But that does not mean you yourself will have ‘died’.â€Â

Yes it does mean my old self is died with Christ and a new spiritual man was born , My sins were paid by Christ on the cross

Here is the formula of the New Agers

You have a dept of 'X' Dollars (Bad Karma)
You pay 'Y' amount every time when you do 'good works' the debt will decreases, If you do ‘Z’ amount of ‘bad works’ then debt will decrease

Note :- You can define what is good and what is bad, It is all relative , It can be true for some one that doesn’t mean it should be true for everybody , You can even believe 2+2 = 5 , It is simply truth for you

When it became '0' you will became god! , Good luck gods!!

First of all you don't know how much you owe and how much you are paying (whether it is credit or debit)

Do you know how much you owe now? And how many incarnations you have to take to be 'ONE' with Brahma?

AHIMSA said:
But rather we are saved by putting to death our selfish nature and sharing in the resurrection of the transfigured Jesus….in awakening to our own nature and full loving potential.

There are two different things, You are calling us to forget about the sin and move on but simply forgetting sin itself a sin, Sin need forgiveness not forget ness

1 John 1:8 “If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in usâ€Â

1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.â€Â

1 John 1:10 “If we ay that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in usâ€Â

Explain how to put our selfish (or sinful) nature into death? , Have you crucified your sinful nature if so how?

Lyric's Dad said:
[quote="Soma-Sight":5afea]This post is......

EXPANSIVE
LIBERATING
INGENIOUS
HOPEFUL
OPTIMISTIC
LOVING
TRUTHFUL
And a great big load of dung.[/quote:5afea]

If you wish to rubbish what someone is saying, I think it is polite to give some kind of argument, to make some points against it.

DivineNames said:
Lyric's Dad said:
[quote="Soma-Sight":66815]This post is......

EXPANSIVE
LIBERATING
INGENIOUS
HOPEFUL
OPTIMISTIC
LOVING
TRUTHFUL
And a great big load of dung.

If you wish to rubbish what someone is saying, I think it is polite to give some kind of argument, to make some points against it.[/quote:66815]
I think you misunderstood Lyric's Dad as he was paying the post a compliment.

I know the lie of the "New Age" and it is much more horrible than a great big load of dung. It is the lie of the devil who goes to and fro seeking to whom he can devour. A sad thing, but true just the same. Perhaps a study on ALL the words of Jesus Christ are in order for those who are inclined to believe the lies that the "New Age" has to offer.

I have been studying the "New Age" garbage since 1984, and haven't found any truth contained therein yet.

Lyric's Dad said:
[quote="Soma-Sight":6635b]This post is......

EXPANSIVE
LIBERATING
INGENIOUS
HOPEFUL
OPTIMISTIC
LOVING
TRUTHFUL
And a great big load of dung.[/quote:6635b]

I'd have chosen the term "mule fritters" myself! :lol:

Solo said:

I don't think so. :roll:

I would think its erroneous for anyone "New Age" to try to borrow Jesus for the cause. For one thing, (I assume) that there is no reliable way to know what Jesus actually believed, so its both uncritical, and a complete waste of time from the start.

DivineNames said:
Solo said:

I don't think so. :roll:

I would think its erroneous for anyone "New Age" to try to borrow Jesus for the cause. For one thing, (I assume) that there is no reliable way to know what Jesus actually believed, so its both uncritical, and a complete waste of time from the start.
I understand your lack of ability to know what Jesus actually believed. First one must repent, then believe, and then follow him. Apart from that process there will be no reliable way to know Jesus or what he believed.

10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? 13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
John 3:10-18

The New Age Jesus is a comfort to the ungodly. They can create him in their own image and likeness.

Their Jesus is not the Jesus of the bible.

The homosexual and the New ager have a lot in common... both have lies to promote...

They are evil...

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

The homosexual and the New ager have a lot in common... both have lies to promote...

They are evil...

ooooh ouch, I sense that was directed right at me BB! I mean, considering you know that I am a homosexual...yet made no mention of that in this topic...

But we wouldn't slander here on these forums would we? I mean especially after you've already given me two warnings for 'promoting homosexuality' ?

AHIMSA said:

[quote:64345]They are evil...

ooooh ouch, I sense that was directed right at me BB! I mean, considering you know that I am a homosexual...yet made no mention of that in this topic...

But we wouldn't slander here on these forums would we? I mean especially after you've already given me two warnings for 'promoting homosexuality' ?[/quote:64345]
That is ok, you still have time to repent and have your sins forgiven you by believing and following Jesus. Today is the day at hand, for tomorrow isn't promised any of us.
Perhaps God is already speaking to you about letting him in your life so that you can be santified becoming a witness for Jesus Christ. Mary Magaline was a prostitute, and she repented and became one of the greatest women of the Bible.

bibleberean said:
The New Age Jesus is a comfort to the ungodly. They can create him in their own image and likeness.

Their Jesus is not the Jesus of the bible.

They are evil...

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

So very true.

As far as homosexuality goes, there's no doubt it's a sin. But the current Culture of so-called "tolerance" embraces it as merely an "alternate lifestyle". Of course, this is the same culture that doesn't allow expressions of Christianity.

Go figure :roll:

AHIMSA said:
A shift which is, more or less, becoming known as the New Age Movement. People’s views are changing and they are beginning to reject the God that has been preached to them for, possibly, the last two millennia. I also suspect that this frightens you.
I am saddened, not frightened, by peoples' turning from God. What frightens me is that people so willingly accept anything spiritual, showing a severe lack of discernment. The quote from Chesterton in my sig says it all.

It is completely absurd to think that "all paths lead to God," in the sense that all paths lead to "salvation," since many of the paths are in contradiction. In another sense though, all paths do lead to God, but then God will judge based on the path taken -- "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many" (Matthew 7:13).

Solo said:
I understand your lack of ability to know what Jesus actually believed. First one must repent, then believe, and then follow him. Apart from that process there will be no reliable way to know Jesus or what he believed.

So you agree with me then, that looked at from the ordinary perspective, the Bible can't be trusted as necessarily reliable.

:-D

DivineNames said:
Solo said:

So you agree with me then, that looked at from the ordinary perspective, the Bible can't be trusted as necessarily reliable.
:-D

Well, let's see if I agree with you or not, or if you agree with me or not. You stated the following quote:

DivineNames said:

You state that you (assume) that there is no reliable way to know what Jesus actually believed. The following is my entire answer. Note that I posted that unless you repent, believe, and follow Jesus you will not be able to know Jesus, nor will you be able to reliably know what Jesus believed. You said point blank that there is no reliable way to know what Jesus believed, and I posted that unless one repents, believes, and follows Jesus there is no way to know what Jesus believed. I say we disagree since you passed right over the born again experience that gives a believer the Spirit of Christ to dwell within them, teaching them the mind of Jesus through the scriptures.

Solo said:

10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? 13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
John 3:10-18

As far as homosexuality goes, there's no doubt it's a sin

That is ok, you still have time to repent and have your sins forgiven

Hahah! God will be lucky if I forgive him! After the things I have undergone for being 'gay' in his name!

AHIMSA said:
As far as homosexuality goes, there's no doubt it's a sin

[quote:f0f22]That is ok, you still have time to repent and have your sins forgiven

Hahah! God will be lucky if I forgive him! After the things I have undergone for being 'gay' in his name![/quote:f0f22]

Where does it say that God the creator and author of life requires forgivness from his creation? Perhaps the verse of scripture found in Galatians will reveal a tidbit of truth that you can use to find yourself on the path of forgivness.

1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. 2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. 3 For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. 4 But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. 5 For every man shall bear his own burden. 6 Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things. 7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. 9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. 10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:1-10

Of course if you are not saved and born again, you have more serious problems to contend with other than your homosexuality.

Solo said:
You state that you (assume) that there is no reliable way to know what Jesus actually believed. The following is my entire answer. Note that I posted that unless you repent, believe, and follow Jesus you will not be able to know Jesus, nor will you be able to reliably know what Jesus believed. You said point blank that there is no reliable way to know what Jesus believed, and I posted that unless one repents, believes, and follows Jesus there is no way to know what Jesus believed. I say we disagree since you passed right over the born again experience that gives a believer the Spirit of Christ to dwell within them, teaching them the mind of Jesus through the scriptures.

So you disagree with me, on a point that I wasn't talking about, and where it is obvious that you would disagree with me. That's good.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back