Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Acts 2 and Salvation

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
At what point or verse in Acts 2 did Peter's listeners come into a saved position? :chin

Acts 2:27-28
And when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Or: Acts 2:21

Acts 2:21 (KJV)
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Acts 2:27-28
And when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Or: Acts 2:21

Acts 2:21 (KJV)
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Acts 2:21-------call upon the name of the Lord>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>saved

This prophecy of Joel was fulfilled in Acts 2:38:

Acts 2:38-------repent and be baptized>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>for remission of sins.

Calling upon the name of the Lord means to do as the Lord has said Lk 6:46 and the Lord said to repent and be baptized.
Lk 13:3,5 Mk 16:16

Just hearing what Peter said and being pricked in the heart (believing) was not enough for his listeners to be saved. They had to obey Peter's command of verse 38...

Acts 2:41 "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added [unto them] about three thousand souls."

So only those hearers that gladly received Peter's words (obeyed verse 38) were baptized and put into a saved position with the apostles in the church. Being baptized is the same as gladly receiving the gospel word. Those hearers that were not baptized were rejecting the gospel word. So Luke's words of verse 41 implies one is rejecting the gospel word and has not received it until he has been baptized.

Last edited by a moderator:
At what point or verse in Acts 2 did Peter's listeners come into a saved position? :chin

Acts 2:41 KJV

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

They received the word by believing and obeying the gospel. People receive Christ today by receiving his teachings. Jesus said: "He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me." John 13:20.

"He that heareth you heareth me; and he that rejecteth you rejecteth me; and he that rejecteth me rejecteth him that sent me." Luke 10:16. To hear the apostles was to hear Christ, and to hear Christ was to hear God who sent him. When they received the words of the apostles spoken by the Holy Spirit they were hearing the words of Christ, and the word of God.

They were baptized; all who received the word were baptized; the Holy Spirit through Peter had commanded them to be baptized. Those who were baptized were "added unto them." Those who were baptized were added together, added to the church; there were "about three thousand souls." Some think that these three thousand were added to the hundred and twenty, but since the phrase "unto them" is in italics, or supplied, they were simply added together.

Acts 2:41 KJV

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

They were baptized; all who received the word were baptized; .

...and the implication of this is that those who were not baptized, they did not gladly receive the gospel word. So one has not gladly received the gospel word until he has been baptized.

...and the implication of this is that those who were not baptized, they did not gladly receive the gospel word. So one has not gladly received the gospel word until he has been baptized.

That is what the Bible says...Amen.

Its an individual thing, a listener in acts 2 is saved at the moment of belief in Christ. Acts 16:31. Only the listener and God know the exact point of true belief.

The baptism was identification with the Holy spirit. The Holy spirits Baptism is at the moment of belief.(salvation)

We know this by the Lords comment on the Cross to the thief in Luke 23:43 And He said to him," Truly,(dogmatically) I say to you,today you WILL be with me in paradise." The thief was baptized by the Holy spirit at the moment he repented(turned from his unbelief) and believed.

Its an individual thing, a listener in acts 2 is saved at the moment of belief in Christ. Acts 16:31. Only the listener and God know the exact point of true belief.

The baptism was identification with the Holy spirit. The Holy spirits Baptism is at the moment of belief.(salvation)

We know this by the Lords comment on the Cross to the thief in Luke 23:43 And He said to him," Truly,(dogmatically) I say to you,today you WILL be with me in paradise." The thief was baptized by the Holy spirit at the moment he repented(turned from his unbelief) and believed.

Can you be specific in Acts 2 as to what verse they would be saved?

Acts 2:41 verifies for us that about 3000 people believed.

They were baptized; all who received the word were baptized; the Holy Spirit through Peter had commanded them to be baptized. Those who were baptized were "added unto them." Those who were baptized were added together, added to the church; there were "about three thousand souls."

Acts 2:41 verifies for us that about 3000 people believed.
"Baptized" is in Acts 2:41.

Acts 2:44 says "all that believed were together..."

In the context of Acts 2:41-44 who were the ones that are said to have "believed" in verse 44? The ones that gladly received Peter's words and were baptized OR the ones that rejected Peter's words and were not baptized?

You have my answer in my first post, Acts chapter 2 is about the baptism of the Spirit.

Water baptism does nothing for your salvation, it is the baptism of the Holy spirit that saves you. And we receive that at the moment of belief in Christ.

Baptized in Acts 2:41 is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit not water baptism......overwhelmed with the spirit, not with water.

You have my answer in my first post, Acts chapter 2 is about the baptism of the Spirit.

Water baptism does nothing for your salvation, it is the baptism of the Holy spirit that saves you. And we receive that at the moment of belief in Christ.

Baptized in Acts 2:41 is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit not water baptism......overwhelmed with the spirit, not with water.

So we can agree then that the ones who "believed" in verse 44 were the ones baptized in verse 41? So "believed" in verse 44 includes being baptized, right?

We just disagree on the type of baptism in the text?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a huge difference between what you and I are saying.

I should apologize, i am assuming you mean water baptism.....you have not told me directly that is what you are talking about.

Do you believe that you have to be water baptized to be saved?

I should apologize, i am assuming you mean water baptism.....you have not told me directly that is what you are talking about.

Yes, I believe Acts 2 shows one must be water baptized to have sins remitted/be saved.

My question was this: the ones who are said to have "believed" in verse 44 the same ones who were baptized in verse 41?

Acts 2:43 KJV

I thought no at first, but many wonders and signs were done through the apostles." The mockers were put to silence and awe came over them, and they were deterred from further opposition, even though they did not repent. The apostles were able to work many miracles, though no particular one is described at this point except the one in the next chapter, and that one is noticed only because it is connected with the arrest of the apostles.

You think the baptism of verse 41 is Holy Spirit baptism, I think it is water bpatism.

In Acts 2 baptism with the Holy Spirit happened in verses 2-4. I say only the apostles were baptized with the Holy Spirit in verses 2-4 and not any of Peter's hearers.

Do you think Peter's hearers were baptized with the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:2-4? If so how do you prove it?

You think the baptism of verse 41 is Holy Spirit baptism, I think it is water bpatism.

In Acts 2 baptism with the Holy Spirit happened in verses 2-4. I say only the apostles were baptized with the Holy Spirit in verses 2-4 and not any of Peter's hearers.

Do you think Peter's hearers were baptized with the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:2-4? If so how do you prove it?

I do not think peters hearers were baptized with the Spirit at that moment, not until they believed.

Its pretty simple really if you take all of mans works out of it.

You believe,you get saved.(Holy spirit baptism)

You get baptized and that is an identification with Christ that you are saved( water baptism). Its a Christian acting upon his thankfulness for The Lord saving them.

Was the Thief on the cross saved? Did he get to come off the cross and get dipped in some tank after believing?
the purpose of water baptism was to teach by illustration the following doctrines:

The believer is identified with Jesus Christ in His death and resurrection;
The believer has victory over, and rejects, human good;
The believer is positionally seated with Jesus Christ at the right hand of God the Father; and
The believer must have a clear understanding of how to produce Divine good from within the Pre-designed Plan of God.
Water baptism was never intended to be a means of salvation. Salvation is by faith alone in Christ alone, with nothing added to it. Nor was water baptism intended to be a means of spirituality. It was never anything more than a teaching aide - a way of illustrating the doctrines related to being identified with the death and resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

just food for thought

there were two major "water baptisms" in the bible, The flood and the red sea.

Everybody who remained DRY survived.

Back