Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

AFLC vs NALC

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

WIP

Staff member
Is there anyone that can explain the difference between the AFLC and NALC? I'm trying to understand how they differ on various doctrines and practical life but from an easy laymen's perspective. Thanks.

As I study their respective doctrinal statements, I find that as with nearly all denominations the language is above my level of comprehension. Either that or they are intentionally vague. I don't know which.

what do they stand for ?
Here's some information I gathered.

AFLC - Association of Free Lutheran Congregations.
This was formed in 1962 out of the former Lutheran Free Church (LFC) as they opposed the merger of the LFC with the American Lutheran Church (ALC).

NALC - North American Lutheran Church
Formed in 2010 out of a reformation movement within the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).

Maybe this will help explain what I'm after.

Virtually every denomination has a doctrinal statement of what they believe and virtually every one of them includes a statement indicating that they accept the Bible as the only inerrant and completely adequate source yet some do not accept men in clergy while others do, some do not have open communion while others do not, some accept openly practicing homosexuality and others do not, some baptize adults only and others baptize infants, and so forth.

Maybe this will help explain what I'm after.

Virtually every denomination has a doctrinal statement of what they believe and virtually every one of them includes a statement indicating that they accept the Bible as the only inerrant and completely adequate source yet some do not accept men in clergy while others do, some do not have open communion while others do not, some accept openly practicing homosexuality and others do not, some baptize adults only and others baptize infants, and so forth.
the links i provided showed the doctrine statement i dont know that much about the Lutheran church years ago i use to listen to a Kennedy not sure he was older gentleman very sound in bible preaching i like the aflc has they are more Congregational oriented. my suggestion is you keep searching look through the links provided -- i sense your trying to make a decision

some accept openly practicing homosexuality
i have heard of Lutheran churches accepting gays . seems like years ago a split..i find it a shame for all denoms are facing this some pro some against ..stay with the Bible

the links i provided showed the doctrine statement i dont know that much about the Lutheran church years ago i use to listen to a Kennedy not sure he was older gentleman very sound in bible preaching i like the aflc has they are more Congregational oriented. my suggestion is you keep searching look through the links provided -- i sense your trying to make a decision
Yes, I am a member of a Lutheran congregation. Back in 2007, after years of prayer, discussion, and debate we made a unanimous decision to disassociate ourselves from the ELCA. Our disagreement was in what we identified as a lack of leadership with regard to topics such as sexual promiscuity, sex outside of marriage, homosexual activity, and universal reconciliation. We felt the tide moving stronger in those directions and that we exhausted our efforts so it was time to shake the dust off our sandals so-to-speak.

When we made this decision we also determined that we would not want to remain forever independent and now we have come to a place where we are trying to decide on a direction for our congregation.

This past weekend we voted to join the Lutheran Churches in Mission for Christ (LCMC). This is basically an association of independent Lutheran churches and by being a member we have access to resources for pastoral call, teaching, missions, and so on but the LCMC has no governing authority over the individual congregations as many denominations have.

It was also brought up for discussion whether or not we should consider becoming a part of a governing denomination and the AFLC and NALC were both mentioned. So, as our church council chair and for my own sake, I am trying to be diligent and learn about what these two denominations stand for above and beyond their broad doctrinal statements and statements of faith.

Yes, I am a member of a Lutheran congregation. Back in 2007, after years of prayer, discussion, and debate we made a unanimous decision to disassociate ourselves from the ELCA. Our disagreement was in what we identified as a lack of leadership with regard to topics such as sexual promiscuity, sex outside of marriage, homosexual activity, and universal reconciliation. We felt the tide moving stronger in those directions and that we exhausted our efforts so it was time to shake the dust off our sandals so-to-speak.

When we made this decision we also determined that we would not want to remain forever independent and now we have come to a place where we are trying to decide on a direction for our congregation.

This past weekend we voted to join the Lutheran Churches in Mission for Christ (LCMC). This is basically an association of independent Lutheran churches and by being a member we have access to resources for pastoral call, teaching, missions, and so on but the LCMC has no governing authority over the individual congregations as many denominations have.

It was also brought up for discussion whether or not we should consider becoming a part of a governing denomination and the AFLC and NALC were both mentioned. So, as our church council chair and for my own sake, I am trying to be diligent and learn about what these two denominations stand for above and beyond their broad doctrinal statements and statements of faith.
smart move
the LCMC has no governing authority over the individual congregations
the general baptist are like this also ..i think the southern are to not %100 sure ..i dont like governing boards ..i wish you God speed in your quest .. my only suggestion dont get in any hurry one day at a time..

Back