Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Aleady Damned To Hell!?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

ZacJ

In Deuteronomy: 23, it said, if your ancestors gave birth in a forbidden marriage that child, or any child in that line of decent(even down to the 10th descendant) would not be able to go to heaven!

Does this mean that if your parents weren't married when they gave birth to you, you will not go to heaven.

Please before you respond, read Deuteronomy 23. Thank you.

Astonishing! Isnnit?:confused
Christ has changed it all for us. John 3:16 answers this: Whosoever believes in HIM makes heaven (including these children)

WOW! That one confuses me as well... Maybe they can be saved if they are baptized or something...
I have a similar question: My friend's brother came back from Afghanistan because he lost most of his body parts from the waist down. :sad I read in your quote in Deuteronomy 23:1 "He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord." But my friends brother only served his country. He didn't do anything against the bible...:sad?

WOW! I had no idea that was in the bible!My friend's brother just came back from Afghanistan and he lost a lot of body parts from the waist down. But Deuteronomy 23 says, "He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord." He didn't do anything wrong, except serve his country!

That is why I like what Classik said. I showed this post to my friend and he asked me if that means we should just ignore the whole Old Testament... What should I tell him? I know we shouldn't, but if all the terrible things the Old Testament says don't matter after Jesus, then how do we know what parts do matter??:study

I pick Rick!!

In Deuteronomy: 23, it said, if your ancestors gave birth in a forbidden marriage that child, or any child in that line of decent(even down to the 10th descendant) would not be able to go to heaven!

Does this mean that if your parents weren't married when they gave birth to you, you will not go to heaven.

Really ? :confused

Is that what the Bible really says ? :chin

Which version / translation are you using please ?

I have just read KJV, NKJV, NIV, ESV and NASB ... They all say "assembly of the Lord" or "congregation of the Lord" ... Nothing about heaven ! :shrug

Last edited by a moderator:
Tina

Maybe he doesn't understand the difference between congregation/assembly of the Lord and heaven. The OT is rarely a strong suit for Christians. Perhaps if you explained that to him.....

FC

No, we are saved by faith, not by position or the actions of our parents. Deuteronomy 23 was part of a covenant that was fulfilled by Jesus. The parents could have repented, as could the child, they would have been forgiven, as the promise of Jesus existed from Genesis, anyone could have been purchased in advance. Seriously.

Noone is damned in advance, there are two points of condemnation:

knowing the light and ignoring it.
embracing darkness.

Essentially the only thing that condemns us is ignorance of Jesus, whether it be willful embrace of Satan, or simply not believing in Jesus.

In the OT, it was not carrying out sacrifices, and wilful breaking of the law. The condemnation continued NOT by proxy, but by continued sin of descendants. All of whom had free will to repent.

I believe the best verse for that question is Ezekiel 18:20 " The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him."

WOW! That one confuses me as well... Maybe they can be saved if they are baptized or something...
I have a similar question: My friend's brother came back from Afghanistan because he lost most of his body parts from the waist down. :sad I read in your quote in Deuteronomy 23:1 "He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord." But my friends brother only served his country. He didn't do anything against the bible...:sad?

Its not talking about warfare, this is talking about eunuchs, emasculated men, wounded in the stones means damaged testes, privy member is the penis.

Although I doubt God is pleased with men going about to kill other men in the name of the state.You friend is welcome in the congregation of the Lord, as are all.

Aleady Damned To Hell!?

Hi ZacJ,

I couldn't get passed the title of your thread. Another way of saying a person is already damned to Hell is we are already condemned.

John 3:17-18
New King James Version (NKJV)
17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

thethinkingrebel, I believe has pointed out v. 18. I would also like to point out that the apostles did not lay the levitical law on the Gentiles to be an unnecessary burden, Acts 15:24-29, nor do we hold to the cultural laws of their time but may find important principles in them.

The only thing to keep us from going to Heaven would be rejecting the means of our forgiveness, refusing to put our trust in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

- Davies

What about Matthew 10:34 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."?

Jesus came to show us how to become righteous and how to continue in righteousness unto salvation through our imitation of His own actions.

If peaceful times do not bring about repentance unto righteousness, it is worthless spiritually-speaking.

If it takes a sword (force or war) to bring about repentance unto righteousness, it is better than peaceful times spiritually-speaking.

Christians should never bow to atheistic tyranny in order to have peace. Christians must always do whatever is necessary in order to bring about righteous law and order.

Follow the example of Jesus:

John 2:13-16 (NKJV)
13 Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers doing business. 15 When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers’ money and overturned the tables. 16 And He said to those who sold doves, “Take these things away! Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!â€

I believe the best verse for that question is Ezekiel 18:20 " The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him."

I like this one best also. :)

God loves all His creation and this includes every person. He desires for all mankind to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. Not everyone will fulfill His desire for them due to His gift of free will to each person.

Joshua 24:15 NKJV
And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back