Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Anime & Manga

Okay, seriously, I can't be the only Otaku here
[listens to crickets chirping, *facepalm*]

Does anyone else have any suggestions for good series? I got one earlier today that I'm going to pick up in town tomorrow.

I sometimes feel weird reading manga at Church. People CONSTANTLY point out that I'm reading backwards :P Sometimes I tell them it makes the story more interesting, like a game of Jeopardy.

Would Neon Genesis Evangelion count as a Christian anime? Or is that too volatile a question?

I'm dying of boredom. Share otaku experiences with me :)

I kinda saw a bit of anime some place so i posted a bit of Granddaughters work in an album on my home page...just a few take a look.....

i'm over with college 4 yeas ago ...i'm over with Naruto Shippuden addiction......:D though the series wasn't over yet on tv

I am a Science Ninja Team Gatchaman - 70's and Voltron (5 Lions) circa 1984 fan. I have all the Street Fighter and Street Fighter Alpha anime as well.

Dragon what? Poke who? If it was released after 1991 I have no idea. Although the neighbor kid swears that Dragonball Z is the Street Fighter for his generation. I said "Can't be, there is no family relationship between Ryu and whoever the blond haired dude with the orange Elvis jump suit is.:lol:

I am a Science Ninja Team Gatchaman - 70's and Voltron (5 Lions) circa 1984 fan. I have all the Street Fighter and Street Fighter Alpha anime as well.
voltron? i remember that. oh no. what about robotech? the first anime in america. the father of it all. voltron while japenese was made in america by a french company if i recall.

I am a fan of Sonic X. That's the only anime I've ever really watched. I've seen the 4 Kids version. (And despite how people complain about 4Kids, I appreciate that they edit things out that aren't kid-friendly.) I'm planning on watching the entire Japanese version sometime to see what it's like--with subtitles, of course.

I know that the Jap version does have some profanity. But, from what I've seen and heard, that's the worst thing in that particular series. And although I don't agree with or use profanity (normally), I don't mind watching a show that has it. As long as it's not excessive.

So unless you count American animes like Avatar and Legend of Korra or anime-ish shows like Ben 10 Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, I don't watch much anime. But I definitely wouldn't mind watching it, as long as it's clean and all.

Oh, quick question. What is the purpose of "engrish"? Is it to try to show that the characters really speak English technically, but the show can't have them actually speak English since the people viewing it are Japanese?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im a nerd and i like animation in general, yeah. Most recent watchings include Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, Digimon 1st and 2nd season(don't ask :P)and Madoka Magica. There was some others too but i can't remember now. Currently reading Blame! and very anxious for new translations of Jojos Bizarre Adventure.

I started watching Fullmetal Alchemist last night. Stayed up very late watching several episodes.
One of my friends got into it a couple of months ago. She showed me some clips and the movie and I have to say I liked it.

I started watching Fullmetal Alchemist last night. Stayed up very late watching several episodes.
One of my friends got into it a couple of months ago. She showed me some clips and the movie and I have to say I liked it.

questdriven:

Fullmetal Alchemist: sounds like the name of a band...

I've been trying to find time to watch Guran Laggan and I need to start watching Black Butler. I have fallen away with my anime in years. Ever since I got addicted to Adventure Time, Regular Show, and some webcomics.

Checked out a couple other anime series recently--Clannad After Story and Lucky Star. Lucky Star, my friend had the manga of and then we decided to look some episodes up. I've only watched a few episodes of it, though.
I like Clannad After Story a lot, almost as much as I like FMA. I've seen about half of it now. I haven't seen the original series of Clannad yet--it's not on Netflix. I could watch it online, though, and I probably will eventually.

Newest series I'm watching is Sword Art Online. I find it interesting, and they seem to do a lot better job with the plot than in other "trapped in a video game" plots I've seen.

I was watching Ouran High School Host Club with my best friend, but she's been showing me other series lately. I do plan to watch all of the episodes eventually.

So far, my favorite anime are Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Clannad/Clannad After Story. Awesome stories, well done, and I think both actually have good morals--at least, they definitely left me thinking. Walked away from the last episodes of Brotherhood and Clannad After Story feeling reminded that life is worth living and everything will work out in the end.
I like SAO (Sword Art Online) a lot, too, but not sure I'd consider it one of my top favorites or not yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently watching Kanon 2006. It originally came from the same company that produced Clannad, so it's similar in some ways. There's this one goofy character, and as soon as I saw him, I was like, oh my gosh, it's Sunohara! xD The character's actual name was Kitagawa, but incidentally--they both have the same voice actor.

Finished Ouran High School Host Club. Holy crap, that anime was hilarious! Great stuff! It totally needs to be longer than just one season. Oh well, I'll see if I can check out the manga for more host club silliness. I hear it goes on a lot longer than the anime.

A friend gave me volume one of the D.N. Angel manga the other day. I wonder how different it is from the anime. Well, we'll find out. xD

I finished Sword Art Online a couple of months back--it went in a totally unexpected direction, too. xD I liked it. They're going to be premiering the dub on Toonami in July. When I watched it, only the sub was available.
I tend to prefer dubs, since they are in my language and I can actually watch the show rather than read subtitles constantly. However, if the anime takes place in Japan, as many of them do, then it does constantly bug me that people who are supposed to be Japanese are speaking English. :lol: I prefer the dub for Clannad, though. Just because I love the dub voices.

Other anime I plan on checking out in the future:
Air
K-on
Death Note
Soul Eater
Level E (I've actually seen the first two episodes already)
And others that don't come to mind at the moment.

Back