Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Any Great Science Fiction Books?

first off I think it is so cool that C.S. Lewis a renowned christian author writes sci-fi and fantasy that is so cool because some churches think all of that is of the devil, at lest the last church I attended did, now for your answer, the greatest sci-fi author of all time, OK maybe not of all time but he is good, Poul Anderson. I don't think he is still writing but if you can find his stuff he is pretty good.

Azimov's Foundation trilogy were excellent and while the writer was anti christian I don't recall seeing such sentiment come out in the books. Also just finished 'The Alien Years' which was the first alien invasion book that I've read that was the least bit plausible.

I strongly recommend that anyone who likes critically acclaimed, yet enjoyable, science fiction to try out (if they haven't done so) Gardner Dozois' The Year's Best Science Fiction anthology series. It has now reached Volume 26. I have been reading science fiction novels, magazines and anthologies for more than 20 years and I constantly find Dozois' annual anthology to be the most satisfying and rewarding.

If you want a story that explores humanity and especially one that looks at sentience, I really enjoyed the first story in Dozois' 24th volume entitled "I, Row-Boat" by Cory Doctorow. The title which seems like a spoof of the classic I, Robot is really appropriate once you've read the story.

I think the best SF novel I have read is Alastair Reynolds' Pushing Ice. It's the most mind-boggling book I have ever read. I think it gives a new meaning to the word "epic". You may need a little patience though during the first 250 pages which I found a bit slow.

As to whether believers should even read SF, I'm not too sure if that question is really that naive or narrow-minded. When I was erm... younger :D, I found some SF stories very troubling to my faith. Twice in my life, I vowed off SF and read mystery and classics instead. Fortunately, my faith is a lot less shakable now and I'm back on SF for good.

Lance said:
Azimov's Foundation trilogy were excellent and while the writer was anti christian I don't recall seeing such sentiment come out in the books. Also just finished 'The Alien Years' which was the first alien invasion book that I've read that was the least bit plausible.

That's true; Asimov was Jewish and was a secular humanist, but I don't recall him ever expressing any antiChristian sentiment.

Have you read Harry Turtledove's series about an alien invasion during World War II? I enjoyed it very much.

i also liked Newt Gingrich's (yes, that Newt Gingrich, I deplore his politics, but I loved that book) 1945 about a Nazi invasion of the atomic energy research facilities near Knoxville, Tennessee. One of his main characters was Skornezy (not sure of spelling) a real Nazi commando leader, who seems to be the inspiration for Sergeant Nick Fury, except Fury was an American.

When I was in college, I read something that Asimov said that was anti-Christian and/or anti-religion and I was extremely offended. Unfortunately I cannot remember what it was or where it was written.

According to Wikipedia, Asimov believed hell was "the drooling dream of a sadist". He also claimed that if ever some form of hell existed, the longest punishment would be reserved for those who "slandered God by inventing hell". This would make Christ not only a drooling sadist but a long-time inmate of hell, if ever there was one. And Bible-believing Christians would be no different.

But I don't find this offensive in the least. I suppose I've become too jaded by all the anti-Christian sentiment.

Asimov writes some fantastic science fiction to be sure. Another very enjoyable read is Orson Scott Card and the 'Ender's Game' series - fantastic reading.

Back