Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Apollyon/Abaddon

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
Rev 9:2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
Rev 9:3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
Rev 9:4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
Rev 9:5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
Rev 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.
Rev 9:7 And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
Rev 9:8 And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
Rev 9:9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
Rev 9:10 And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months.
Rev 9:11 And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

The name Apollyon is only found once by name in Rev 9:11. If you notice in Rev 9:1 John is given the vision of a star that has fallen from heaven unto the earth and was given the key to the bottomless pit. Angels in scripture are often called stars in heaven, Job 38:7; Rev 1:16, 20; 2:1; 3:1; 12:1.

Apollyon/Abaddon is a Hebrew and Greek word which means destruction/destroyer as we see God used this angel in Exodus 12:23; 1 Chronicles 21:15-18; 1 Corinthians 10:10; Hebrews 11:28; Rev 9:11.

The angel who is called Apollyon/Abaddon in Rev 9:11 was sent by God for His purpose to have this angel open the pit and rule over these locust as they were commanded not to kill any man, but to only torment them to where they would want to die, but could not. This angel according to Rev 9:11 was never previously bound/imprisoned in the pit, but was the angel of the bottomless pit. Many think that since the name means destroyer in the Hebrew that this is an evil angel that Satan uses in Rev 9 at the 5th trumpet. If this was an evil angel why would Satan use him to torment those who are already his own who refuse to repent and turn back to God?

This is not the beast of out of the sea or out from the earth in Rev 13. What is being restrained for now is the mystery of who the son of perdition is who is already working iniquity in the world, but many are yet blinded to who it is that is causing a falling away from truth, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12.

The angel who is called Apollyon/Abaddon in Rev 9:11 was sent by God for His purpose to have this angel open the pit and rule over these locust as they were commanded not to kill any man, but to only torment them to where they would want to die, but could not.
It could be this angel Apollyon is actually Satan , God has used Satan before for his purpose .
This angel according to Rev 9:11 was never previously bound/imprisoned in the pit, but was the angel of the bottomless pit.
Satan has never been bound in a pit as far as we know . "Angel of the bottomless pit " sounds like a description of Satan .
Many think that since the name means destroyer in the Hebrew
Satan is a destroyer .
If this was an evil angel why would Satan use him to torment those who are already his own who refuse to repent and turn back to God?
If this is Satan tormenting would be something he would excel at , God using Satan for a purpose .

At least something to think about . Carry on for_his_glory :) .

It could be this angel Apollyon is actually Satan , God has used Satan before for his purpose .

Satan has never been bound in a pit as far as we know . "Angel of the bottomless pit " sounds like a description of Satan .

Satan is a destroyer .

If this is Satan tormenting would be something he would excel at , God using Satan for a purpose .

At least something to think about . Carry on for_his_glory :) . in Rev 9:
I used to believe this was a fallen angel used by Satan in Rev 9:11 until I studied it further by using the meaning being destroyer and referencing scripture about this angel as we see God used this angel in Exodus 12:23; 1 Chronicles 21:15-18; 1 Corinthians 10:10; Hebrews 11:28; Rev 9:11.

The name Apollyon is only found once by name in Rev 9:11. If you notice in Rev 9:1 John is given the vision of a star that has fallen from heaven unto the earth and was given the key to the bottomless pit. Angels in scripture are often called stars in heaven, Job 38:7; Rev 1:16, 20; 2:1; 3:1; 12:1.

Apollyon/Abaddon is a Hebrew and Greek word which means destruction/destroyer as we see God used this angel in Exodus 12:23; 1 Chronicles 21:15-18; 1 Corinthians 10:10; Hebrews 11:28; Rev 9:11.

I used to believe this was a fallen angel used by Satan in Rev 9:11 until I studied it further by using the meaning being destroyer and referencing scripture about this angel as we see God used this angel in Exodus 12:23; 1 Chronicles 21:15-18; 1 Corinthians 10:10; Hebrews 11:28; Rev 9:11.

Revelation​

Chapter 9​

1And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

There is little doubt as we both know that star in the above verse refers to an angel . This we agree on . :)

So why do I think this could be Satan or another fallen angel , simply because we are told of a fall that was taken .
A fall suggests no control of flight , the star/angel was not sent but fell to earth , sounds like a bad way to arrive on earth .

Do you know of any scripture where one of the LORD's good angels fall to earth ?

I would like to say this , what difference does it make on who Abaddon's allegiance is to ?
We can assume Abaddon is doing the LORD's will because he is given the keys to the pit .

Revelation​

Chapter 9​

1And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

There is little doubt as we both know that star in the above verse refers to an angel . This we agree on . :)

So why do I think this could be Satan or another fallen angel , simply because we are told of a fall that was taken .
A fall suggests no control of flight , the star/angel was not sent but fell to earth , sounds like a bad way to arrive on earth .

Do you know of any scripture where one of the LORD's good angels fall to earth ?

I would like to say this , what difference does it make on who Abaddon's allegiance is to ?
We can assume Abaddon is doing the LORD's will because he is given the keys to the pit .
The word Fall also means descend or to pass in a specified state, situation, or position. A sudden onset or arrival as if by dropping - Oxford English Dictionary

I guess I can not get past the fact that this could be a fallen evil angel used by Satan that God would give a symbolic key to the symbolic bottomless pit in order to rule over these locust to torment men in order for the torment to hopefully have these men repent and come back to God.

I can only see this angel being used of God as a destroyer like that in Exodus 12:23; 1 Chronicles 21:15-18; 1 Corinthians 10:10; Hebrews 11:28; Rev 9:11.

Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
Rev 9:2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
Rev 9:3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
Rev 9:4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
Rev 9:5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
Rev 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.
Rev 9:7 And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
Rev 9:8 And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
Rev 9:9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
Rev 9:10 And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months.
Rev 9:11 And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

The angel who is called Apollyon/Abaddon in Rev 9:11 was sent by God for His purpose to have this angel open the pit and rule over these locust as they were commanded not to kill any man, but to only torment them to where they would want to die, but could not. This angel according to Rev 9:11 was never previously bound/imprisoned in the pit, but was the angel of the bottomless pit. Many think that since the name means destroyer in the Hebrew that this is an evil angel that Satan uses in Rev 9 at the 5th trumpet. If this was an evil angel why would Satan use him to torment those who are already his own who refuse to repent and turn back to God?

This is not the beast of out of the sea or out from the earth in Rev 13. What is being restrained for now is the mystery of who the son of perdition is who is already working iniquity in the world, but many are yet blinded to who it is that is causing a falling away from truth, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12.
God can use n Angel He calls his Destroyer, and Israel can name a Demon DSTROYER. Rev. 9 is clearly Demon named Apollyon, he's the King of the bottomless pit. Thus king freed from the pit kills the two witnesses. He is the Scarlet Colored Best of Rev. 17, that is why there are NO CROWNS on the heads or horns like in Rev. 12 & 13. That's also why he was OF THE 7, but he is an 8th [King]. He was over ever Beast..........placed in the pit for the duration of the church age, then released at the 1st Woe.

God can use n Angel He calls his Destroyer, and Israel can name a Demon DSTROYER. Rev. 9 is clearly Demon named Apollyon, he's the King of the bottomless pit. Thus king freed from the pit kills the two witnesses. He is the Scarlet Colored Best of Rev. 17, that is why there are NO CROWNS on the heads or horns like in Rev. 12 & 13. That's also why he was OF THE 7, but he is an 8th [King]. He was over ever Beast..........placed in the pit for the duration of the church age, then released at the 1st Woe.
I have to disagree with this, but thank you for sharing your understanding.

Satan is a destroyer .

At least something to think about . Carry on for_his_glory :) .

It is about Satan. Satan is a king, the ultimate beast king, because remember, he sinned in the beginning with having coveted God's Throne? So he wants to be The King, Jesus Christ, God The Savior (Isaiah 14; Ezekiel 28).

Satan is this "beast" here also...

Rev 11:7-8
7 And when they shall have finished their testimony,
the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
KJV

Here Satan is again in Revelation...

Rev 17:8
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
KJV

So by the time the Bible student gets to that Rev.17 chapter, they should understand by then, that Rev.9 is about Satan as that Apollyon (from Greek root for 'perdition') and Abaddon, the king and angel of the bottomless pit.

It is about Satan. Satan is a king, the ultimate beast king, because remember, he sinned in the beginning with having coveted God's Throne? So he wants to be The King, Jesus Christ, God The Savior (Isaiah 14; Ezekiel 28).

Satan is this "beast" here also...

Rev 11:7-8
7 And when they shall have finished their testimony,
the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
KJV

Here Satan is again in Revelation...

Rev 17:8
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
KJV

So by the time the Bible student gets to that Rev.17 chapter, they should understand by then, that Rev.9 is about Satan as that Apollyon (from Greek root for 'perdition') and Abaddon, the king and angel of the bottomless pit.
I just can't get past the part of why would Satan send out locust to torment those who are already his own.

I just can't get past the part of why would Satan send out locust to torment those who are already his own.

That's a deeper matter...

God speaking...

Joel 2:25
25 And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm,
My great army which I sent among you.
KJV

Isa 10:5-6
O Assyrian, the rod of Mine anger, and the staff in their hand is Mine indignation.
6 I will send him against an hypocritical nation, and against the people of My wrath will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, and to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets.
KJV

Our Heavenly Father is actually using... Satan, and that locust army for the end of this world. Gonna' do a whole lot of purging of those who won't listen to Him in His Word.

That's a deeper matter...

God speaking...

Joel 2:25
25 And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm,
My great army which I sent among you.
KJV

Isa 10:5-6
O Assyrian, the rod of Mine anger, and the staff in their hand is Mine indignation.
6 I will send him against an hypocritical nation, and against the people of My wrath will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, and to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets.
KJV

Our Heavenly Father is actually using... Satan, and that locust army for the end of this world. Gonna' do a whole lot of purging of those who won't listen to Him in His Word.
It is a deeper matter as one has to study the full content of scripture, just not a verse or two.

If you would notice that the locust mentioned in Exodus 10:1-7 is reiterated by Joel in Joel 2:25 where sent upon Egypt as part of the plagues that God brought upon Pharaoh and his people who served him. These locust destroyed everything that was left over by the hail and fire mingled in it as they ate every herb of the land, even all that the hail had left. Exodus 9-10.

The locust in Rev 9 are very different then the ones in Egypt as in what God has purposed them to do. And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads. And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man. Rev 9:4-5.

It was God that sent the locust to Egypt and it will be God who sends them once again in the end of days.

It is a deeper matter as one has to study the full content of scripture, just not a verse or two.

If you would notice that the locust mentioned in Exodus 10:1-7 is reiterated by Joel in Joel 2:25 where sent upon Egypt as part of the plagues that God brought upon Pharaoh and his people who served him. These locust destroyed everything that was left over by the hail and fire mingled in it as they ate every herb of the land, even all that the hail had left. Exodus 9-10.

The locust in Rev 9 are very different then the ones in Egypt as in what God has purposed them to do. And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads. And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man. Rev 9:4-5.

It was God that sent the locust to Egypt and it will be God who sends them once again in the end of days.

Yes, but I assume you understand that the locusts of Rev.9 and Joel 1 is about 'men' that come to take over the world and spread deception. In Joel 1:6 after God describes the locusts, He calls them "a nation"...

Joel 1:6
6 For
a nation is come up upon My land, strong, and without number, whose teeth are the teeth of a lion, and he hath the cheek teeth of a great lion.
KJV

The following description about the locusts also reveals they are a 'symbolic' army, not real locusts, nor a real military army, but a certain group of people, "a nation", that takes control at the very end of this world.

Joel 2:8-9
8 Neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path: and
when they fall upon the sword, they shall not be wounded.
9 They shall run to and fro in the city; they shall run upon the wall, they shall climb up upon the houses; they shall enter in at the windows like a thief.
KJV

We know that can't be about a literal army, because those of a literal army that fall upon a sword will... be wounded. Those Joel descriptions about the locusts, and what you showed from Rev.9 that they will not be allowed to harm any green thing, etc., and that we are told their power is in their mouths, all that points to a certain group of people that take control of the world at the end, and spread deception.

Just what kind... of deception at the end would one think, according to the events Jesus and His Apostles warned us about the coming time of "great tribulation"? They warned of the "another Jesus", a false-Messiah coming to Jerusalem to play Christ. God simply is using the 'idea' of the locusts to show how thorough their deceptive attack will be. The Orthodox Jews are still expecting their Messiah; the Christian Church are expecting Lord Jesus Christ to come, even the Muslims have their version of a Messiah they believe is coming. Lord Jesus warned us that IF it were possible, even His very elect would be fooled by the 1st supernatural Messiah that comes working great signs and wonders prior to our Lord Jesus' return.

Thus I see that Rev.9 locust army representing Satan's host of world controllers and priests that will manifest for Satan and the coming false-Messiah. Just as those will have taken over all functions of this world, the political, the military, finance, and religion, etc., they will create a one-world religion to go with their coming one-world beast kingdom over all nations for the end just prior to Christ's future return.

Joel 1-2 is speaking about the literal past days of the locust and past days of the literal drought.

The book of Joel develops the crucial theme of the coming day of the Lord. It is a time of great judgement upon people and nations that have rebelled against God. But, it is also a time of future blessings upon those who have trusted in God. The theme of disaster runs throughout the book as in locust, plagues, famine, raging fires, invading armies, celestial phenomena, but promises of hope are interspersed with the pronouncements of coming judgement. The basic outline of Joel is the day of the Lord in retrospect (1:1-20) and the day of the Lord in prospect (2:1-3:21).

Joel 1:2 Hear this, ye old men, and give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land. Hath this been in your days, or even in the days of your fathers?
Joel 1:3 Tell ye your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation.
Joel 1:4 That which the palmerworm hath left hath the locust eaten; and that which the locust hath left hath the cankerworm eaten; and that which the cankerworm hath left hath the caterpiller eaten.

Palmerworm - the larva of the tineid moth Dichomeris ligulella

Cankerworm - a moth of the family Geometridae

What was left from these worms is what the locust literally ate when God sent them to Egypt as a plague against Pharaoh. This is clearly different then the ones in Rev 9:3-5. And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power, as it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only torment those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads. And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.

The locust in Joel 1 provides a similar description of the locust in Exodus, but only to torment those who have not the seal of God in the day of the Lord as these locust are not to destroy the vegetation. These locust can not be a human army sent to torment those who are not God's own, but like the plague in Exodus God sends them to torment those in hopes that they would turn back to God before it's to late.

Joel 1-2 is speaking about the literal past days of the locust and past days of the literal drought.

I strongly disagree.

The Joel 2 Chapter especially, is about the locust army of Rev.9 simply because it is speaking of the symbolic locust attack just prior to the "day of the Lord"...

Joel 2-3
2 Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble:
for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand;

That above reference makes this prophecy linked to the very end of this world. That "day of the Lord" is the last day of this present world, as shown by Paul in 1 Thess.5 and by Peter in 2 Peter 3:10. When The Old Testament prophets speak of the "day of the Lord", it is not just about any time of God's destructions, not even in the Jer.46:10 example. It is ultimately about God's Wrath on the last day of this world.

2 A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.
3 A fire devoureth before them; and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness; yea, and nothing shall escape them.
The appearance of them is as the appearance of horses; and as horsemen, so shall they run.

That analogy of the locusts army being as horseman is given as a symbol for them in Rev.9 also.

5 Like the noise of chariots on the tops of mountains shall they leap, like the noise of a flame of fire that devoureth the stubble, as a strong people set in battle array.
6 Before their face the people shall be much pained: all faces shall gather blackness.
7 They shall run like mighty men; they shall climb the wall like men of war; and they shall march every one on his ways, and they shall not break their ranks:
8 Neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path: and when they fall upon the sword, they shall not be wounded.
9 They shall run to and fro in the city; they shall run upon the wall, they shall climb up upon the houses; they shall enter in at the windows like a thief.
10 The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the moon shall be dark, and the stars shall withdraw their shining:

God is giving those above examples of how the locust army attacks at the end. It is symbolic for a strong people that cannot be stopped. We find later here why they can't be stopped, since God is Who is sending them for the end.

11 And the LORD shall utter His voice before His army: for His camp is very great: for He is strong That executeth His word: for the day of the LORD is great and very terrible; and who can abide it?

That above is about Christ's future coming with His army on the last day of this world, per Revelation 19.

12 Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to Me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:
13 And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth Him of the evil.
14 Who knoweth if he will return and repent, and leave a blessing behind him; even a meat offering and a drink offering unto the LORD your God?
15 Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly:
16 Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet.
17 Let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, 'Spare thy people, O LORD, and give not Thine heritage to reproach, that the heathen should rule over them: wherefore should they say among the people, 'Where is their God?'
18 Then will the LORD be jealous for His land, and pity His people.
19 Yea, the LORD will answer and say unto His people, "Behold, I will send you corn, and wine, and oil, and ye shall be satisfied therewith: and I will no more make you a reproach among the heathen:
20 But I will remove far off from you
the northern army, and will drive him into a land barren and desolate, with his face toward the east sea, and his hinder part toward the utmost sea, and his stink shall come up, and his ill savour shall come up, because he hath done great things.
21 Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for the LORD will do great things.
22 Be not afraid, ye beasts of the field: for the pastures of the wilderness do spring, for the tree beareth her fruit, the fig tree and the vine do yield their strength.
23 Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for He hath given you the former rain moderately, and He will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month.
24 And the floors shall be full of wheat, and the fats shall overflow with wine and oil.
And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, My great army which I sent among you.
26 And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, That hath dealt wondrously with you: and My people shall never be ashamed.
27 And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and My people shall never be ashamed.

All the above is for the final day of this world, when Jesus returns and the restoration begins. That "northern army" is about the host of the Ezek.38 Gog-Magog nations allied with Russia that will come out of the northern quarters with Russia on the last day to attack Israel, which is about the Rev.16 battle of Armageddon.

28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out My spirit.
30 And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood,
before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.
32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.
KJV

Then the above is about the "great tribulation" time. Apostle Peter quoted much of the above on Pentecost per Acts 2. Peter said "this is that", pointing to this Joel 2 Scripture. When he said that, he was pointing to the cloven tongue being what this outpouring of God's Spirit is upon the sons and daughters. Thing is though, in the above Joel 2 Scripture, it is pointing to the end of days time is when that outpouring is for. It is actually about this...

Mark 13:9-13
9 But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for My sake,
for a testimony against them.

10 And the gospel must first be published among all nations.

But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.

12 Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against their parents, and shall cause them to be put to death.

13 And ye shall be hated of all men for My name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
KJV

DavidT you have your understanding and I have mine. We agree in part and disagree in part, but I am going to move past all of this as the topic is not about the locust, but about who Apollyon/Abaddon is as I left this go to long. Thank you though for a good conversation and you have a blessed day.

DavidT you have your understanding and I have mine. We agree in part and disagree in part, but I am going to move past all of this as the topic is not about the locust, but about who Apollyon/Abaddon is as I left this go to long. Thank you though for a good conversation and you have a blessed day.

I am simply going by the Bible Scripture about this topic. It's not my fault that others push men's doctrines in opposition to it that clouds this issue the minds of many brethren.

Do you even know just why... those certain men push their false traditions against this matter of Apollyon/Abaddon being about Satan? It's because it goes against their unbelief about angels in The Bible, with angels having the ability to appear with the image of man upon this earth. I discover that many brethren still are not prepared to believe The Bible about that. So any of that pointing to Satan also having that ability to appear on earth with the image of 'man', is also outside of their ability to understand. And for that reason, many brethren at the end of this world will be deceived when Satan himself, in person, comes as the false-Messiah in Jerusalem playing God.

many brethren at the end of this world will be deceived when Satan himself, in person, comes as the false-Messiah in Jerusalem playing God.
Where does it say in scripture that Satan will appear as a flesh and blood person? We have to remember that Satan is a created spirit as God created all angels in spirit form, not flesh and blood. Satan can work through others who are not Christ own as he will work through the son of perdition/last antichrist, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12. God is not going to give the keys to Satan to open the pit and release locust in order to torment those who are Satan's own in order for the tormented to turn back to God. Think about that for awhile.

Angels are essentially “ministering spirits,” (Hebrews 1:14) and do not have physical bodies like humans. Jesus declared that “a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have” (Luke 24:37-39).

Why are you trying to use that false assumption about Satan?
Why are you using the false assumption that it is Satan! See how that works both ways.

Why can't you give me the scripture that says Satan becomes a person of flesh and blood?

Like I have said, why would God give to Satan to torment those who are already Satan's own. Do you really think that Satan would torment someone so bad in hopes that they would turn back to God.

Apollyon is an angel sent from God just like the angel in Exodus 12:23; Job 33:22; Proverbs 16:14; 2Samuel 24:15-16; 1Chronicles 21:15; 2Kings 19:35 that were all called a destroyer sent by God.

Why are you using the false assumption that it is Satan! See how that works both ways.

No, actually your reasoning on that does not fit Bible Scripture, but instead is from a Pop idea from men's doctrines.

Per God's Word, what image... did angels appear with to flesh-born men upon the earth?

Genesis 18 about the "three men" that appeared to Abraham at his tent door is a primary example, because The One Who stood talking with Abraham was Christ, while the other two men went to Lot were the "two angels" of Gen.19.

Do you believe then that angels appear on earth with the image of men, or not?

Back