Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Assuming Creationism is true (and the flood) what evidence would we expect to find?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Rhea

What I've posted below is from a thread in another place where I discussed this question and asked for additional examples. The examples are from others who discussed this topic.

I've been learning a lot of neat stuff about how we know what we know about evolution in some recent threads (the evidence trail). It made me want to get a handle on what we would actually expect to find in our world if young earth creationism with noachic flood were true.

Geologic Record
We would expect one massive worldwide sedimentary event that is very homogenous

Geographical Distribution of Species
the distribution of species on the planet should be governed largely by the Noah's Flood event.

We would expect that the slowest species be closer to the Middle East, while the fastest species be distributed throughout the world. Further, we expect to see distributions in radial lines extending from the middle east to more distant parts of the world (as stragglers got left behind during the journey).

For example, if all marsupials made the journey from the Middle East to Australia, then to South/North America, then we would expect to see straggler species distributed along the path they took in migrating to Australia.

Fossil Record
the overwhelming majority of fossils are arranged by Noah's Flood. Virtually every living thing would have been fossilized, so we would have an extremely complete record of all the animals that were alive at the time of Noah's flood.

The churning of the ocean's floor would have been so violent that there would be no sorting of the animals drowned by Noah's Flood.

The conditions of the Flood should have preserved nearly all individuals alive at the time, so the great majority of fossils we find should be from the time of the Flood (an event spanning some 40 days or so, a blink in the geological eye), and these would all be in a homogeneous sedimentary layer of a single age.

We would see fossils form very quickly, in less than 6,000 years. Such that any fossil NOT in the Noachic layer must be a younger fossil and will show the rate of fossilization.

We'd know that fossils are all younger than 6000 years, so all should still have DNA and/or large amounts of carbon.

Furthermore, the mix of species before the flood should have remained fairly constant. The only sorting we should see in the fossil record is that certain species existed before the flood, but not after the flood. No other major extinction events should exist other than the flood.

Genetics
Life is organized into "kinds" (needs definition). Each "kind" was created completely separately, and thus we expect to find great similarities within "kinds", but vast differences between kinds because kinds are not related to each other at all.

We would expect to see the same rate of genetic differentiation now as we infer from the Noachic fossil record until now. However the "kinds" have changed since the flood, we expect they would continue changing at that rate.

We would see massive mutation rates. Getting from no more than 10 HLA-B alleles to over 620 alleles in less than 6000 years. So we're talking a minimum of one obviously beneficial mutation per generation (assuming a generation time of ten years).

That's in addition to all the other multiple allele genes within human systems.

It's much worse for some animal 'kinds'. As you have to get hundreds of alleles from a max of 4 alleles.

Embryology
Creation theory tells us that "kinds" are distinct and that if we compare embryos between species of different "kinds" should not have similarities.

For example, would human, rabbit, and chicken embryos have gill slits very early in development? Would we expect to see animals without tails have embryonic tails that disappear?

So my question is - why do we not see the evidence we would expect to see if all animal kinds were created separately 6000 years ago, and bottlenecked to fewer than 7 examples of each at about 4000 years ago and re-dispersed after that?

Or - DO we see the evidence we would expect to see if all animals were dispersed from 7 or fewer individuals only 4000 years ago from a single geographical location in the middle east?

by the way, I would like to cite the contributors directly, but the terms of service of this site prohibit me from linking to the original contributors. If you wish to search on the text, you'll find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Assuming Creationism is true (and the flood) what evidence would we expect to fin

I would expect to see genetic bottlenecks for all extant species at around the time estimated for the flood, which I take to be around 4.0-4.5 KYA, using AiG calculations.

I would also expect evidence to explain the rapid population growth and dispersion that gave rise to cultures such as Dynastic Egypt and Sumer, which would otherwise appear to have simply survived the flood without showing any indication of having been impacted by it.

Just a couple of quick thoughts. I am sure there are others.

Re: Assuming Creationism is true (and the flood) what evidence would we expect to fin

I would expect to see genetic bottlenecks for all extant species at around the time estimated for the flood, which I take to be around 4.0-4.5 KYA, using AiG calculations.

I would also expect evidence to explain the rapid population growth and dispersion that gave rise to cultures such as Dynastic Egypt and Sumer, which would otherwise appear to have simply survived the flood without showing any indication of having been impacted by it.

Just a couple of quick thoughts. I am sure there are others.

What is KYA?
What is AiG?

answers in genesis. is for aig.

I would expect there to be a definitive and uncontested definition of "kind" to explain what animals were on the ark, exactly.

Geologic Record
We would expect one massive worldwide sedimentary event that is very homogenous
It would sure seem so.

Geographical Distribution of Species
the distribution of species on the planet should be governed largely by the Noah's Flood event.

We would expect that the slowest species be closer to the Middle East, while the fastest species be distributed throughout the world. Further, we expect to see distributions in radial lines extending from the middle east to more distant parts of the world (as stragglers got left behind during the journey).

For example, if all marsupials made the journey from the Middle East to Australia, then to South/North America, then we would expect to see straggler species distributed along the path they took in migrating to Australia.
Wow, this is so obvious that I wonder why it has not come up before?

Fossil Record
the overwhelming majority of fossils are arranged by Noah's Flood. Virtually every living thing would have been fossilized, so we would have an extremely complete record of all the animals that were alive at the time of Noah's flood.
Ok, not so sure I agree. Why would every living thing be fossilized?

The churning of the ocean's floor would have been so violent that there would be no sorting of the animals drowned by Noah's Flood.

The conditions of the Flood should have preserved nearly all individuals alive at the time, so the great majority of fossils we find should be from the time of the Flood (an event spanning some 40 days or so, a blink in the geological eye), and these would all be in a homogeneous sedimentary layer of a single age.
Again,I'm not so sure about this.

Furthermore, the mix of species before the flood should have remained fairly constant. The only sorting we should see in the fossil record is that certain species existed before the flood, but not after the flood. No other major extinction events should exist other than the flood.
If you insist that all of human history, and all of world geologic history is in the Bible. Oh, yea - that is what hardline creationist insist, isn't it.

Point to you here.

I'm skipping the rest... gotta get to bed....

So my question is - why do we not see the evidence we would expect to see if all animal kinds were created separately 6000 years ago, and bottlenecked to fewer than 7 examples of each at about 4000 years ago and re-dispersed after that?

Or - DO we see the evidence we would expect to see if all animals were dispersed from 7 or fewer individuals only 4000 years ago from a single geographical location in the middle east?
All in all, another great post by you. I am ashamed I'd not thought of it like this: Assume "creation" as pushed by AiG was right ... what would we see?

You are good Rhea, I'll give ya that.

I still believe that He created all, as in the Bible. I just don't buy the 10,000 or so year timeline. Not at all. And I dont' think that all of human or geologic history is in the Bible - a lot of HUMAN history is, but I don't know that I believe all of it is.

Gotta get to bed.

Rhea said:
Fossil Record
Ok, not so sure I agree. Why would every living thing be fossilized?

The assumption is that everything was alive at the time of the flood (examples from each of the "kinds"), and everything was buried by the same cataclysmic flood. And that a cataclysmic flood is exactly the kind of event that can create fossils because of the immense sedimentary stirring and burying without decay, scavenging or erosion.

And since every living thing on the planet died within a 40-day timespan in a great fossil creating event, it would be expected that fossil examples of every living thing would be present in very large numbers in a single layer.

And fairly easy to find as it would be piled in alluvial fans at the base of every topographical delta on the planet.

You have thought this thru more than I have. I just didn't think that "fossilization" happened so easily or all that often - given whatever events were happening.

But I do now agree.

You have thought this thru more than I have. I just didn't think that "fossilization" happened so easily or all that often - given whatever events were happening.

But I do now agree.

Yes, the things that prevent fossilization are a lack of being buried in sediment to protect the carcass from scavengers, desiccation, and erosion. But in a giant sedimentary whirlpool, the conditions are pretty much ideal.

I was kind of hoping that some of the people who are regular apologists in this forum for creationism would offer some reasons why we don't see any of this evidence, or what different evidence they predict would be present if creationism and flood were true.

I would like to know their opinions on this. I hope they will choose to post on this thread.

It's a useful and often used tactic to help make a hypothesis more robust; to ask, "okay, if this is not true (or if this is true), what would I expect to find - and is it there?"

What I've posted below is from a thread in another place where I discussed this question and asked for additional examples. The examples are from others who discussed this topic.

I've been learning a lot of neat stuff about how we know what we know about evolution in some recent threads (the evidence trail). It made me want to get a handle on what we would actually expect to find in our world if young earth creationism with noachic flood were true.
Genetics
Life is organized into "kinds" (needs definition). Each "kind" was created completely separately, and thus we expect to find great similarities within "kinds", but vast differences between kinds because kinds are not related to each other at all.

We would expect to see the same rate of genetic differentiation now as we infer from the Noachic fossil record until now. However the "kinds" have changed since the flood, we expect they would continue changing at that rate.

We would see massive mutation rates. Getting from no more than 10 HLA-B alleles to over 620 alleles in less than 6000 years. So we're talking a minimum of one obviously beneficial mutation per generation (assuming a generation time of ten years).

That's in addition to all the other multiple allele genes within human systems.

It's much worse for some animal 'kinds'. As you have to get hundreds of alleles from a max of 4 alleles.

Embryology
Creation theory tells us that "kinds" are distinct and that if we compare embryos between species of different "kinds" should not have similarities.

For example, would human, rabbit, and chicken embryos have gill slits very early in development? Would we expect to see animals without tails have embryonic tails that disappear?

by the way, I would like to cite the contributors directly, but the terms of service of this site prohibit me from linking to the original contributors. If you wish to search on the text, you'll find it.
The two above arguments presume that there should be vast differences if Creationism were true but that need not at all be the case, and so they are fallacious. Could it not be the case that God was doing things as simply and efficiently as possible, knowing that a small change in the genetic code would result in significant differences?

It's interesting how such arguments implicitly give evolution more purpose and intelligence than an intelligent agent.

The two above arguments presume that there should be vast differences if Creationism were true but that need not at all be the case....
Why need it not be the case?
...and so they are fallacious.
Can you show that these differences are not valid? If you can't, the argument is not fallacious.
Could it not be the case that God was doing things as simply and efficiently as possible, knowing that a small change in the genetic code would result in significant differences?
How does this gibe with the evidence we see? How are the examples cited evidence of things being done 'as simply and efficiently as possible', how do they support YECism and how do they support the idea of a global flood of biblical proportions occurring less than 5KYA?
It's interesting how such arguments implicitly give evolution more purpose and intelligence than an intelligent agent.
How do they do this?

Assuming Creationism is True...
Could it not be the case that God was doing things as simply and efficiently as possible, knowing that a small change in the genetic code would result in significant differences?

... Then Wouldn't One Expect:
To see repeated genetic tools without junk or fluff for analogous or identical features no matter how different the species. One would not expect to see duplicate DNA that is littered with virus-looking DNA of varying amounts in non-expressing units in various creatures. (What the evolutionists consider as artifacts from combinations that went nowhere.)

In other words, if a designer were assumed good enough to do things optimally simple and efficient, would we expect to see things that look like unusable insertions from an infection, or artifact genes which lurk undetected but do great harm when switched on by mutation?

Eh? How does it give any purpose to evolution?

I think that it would be highly unlikely that all animal species, with only one pair, would excape extinction.

You never raised rabbets :lol

OOPS i posted off the newest post list i dont belong here...

lol. true rabbits do mulitiply like mad. so do a ton of insects.

sorry, it takes just a faith in that as you do for you transition from anthropoid to human given the fact that one mutation in the right chromosome can cause some serious issues with mental devolopment and or capacity. so either the early homonids population must have real large and the same type of mutations all happened at once. otherwise some type of culling would take place.

You never raised rabbets :lol

OOPS i posted off the newest post list i dont belong here...

I used to raise rabbits. It's amazing how quickly debilitating genetic defects arise when you keep mating siblings from the same original pair with no diversity from different families. It's cute that they multiply so quickly, but it's not long before undesirable traits can crash the population.

Saw that in the Ptolomys, too. And the Roman Caesars for that matter. The Tudors.

It's pretty well known in the sciences that you need more than one breeding pair to save a population, especially in species that only breed a handful of times in their lives.

lol. true rabbits do mulitiply like mad. so do a ton of insects.

sorry, it takes just a faith in that as you do for you transition from anthropoid to human given the fact that one mutation in the right chromosome can cause some serious issues with mental devolopment and or capacity. so either the early homonids population must have real large and the same type of mutations all happened at once. otherwise some type of culling would take place.

Not when you have a larger population to decrease the possibility of deleterious genes being expressed. The new mutation whether good or bad can be latent in a population as a recessive, multiplying in to many many individuals, before less related 4th cousins might finally produce a homozygous offspring which expresses the new mutation.

In the flood story, you have TWO individuals (seven of some kinds). And that is all the genetic diversity you have AT ALL for many generations. Meaning ALL harmful recessives will be in ALL offspring and high chance of 50% of the following generation and thereby highly expressed as soon as the 4th generation because there is no way to dilute it with any examples that don't have it.

Whereas in the non-flood situation, you have a large population and one individual has a mutation and mates spreading that mutation (if itis recessive) among many generations and family branches before it gets doubled ("homozygous" or both alleles matching). Or if it's dominant, all of the offspring will have it no matter which other parent, and all of their offspring will have a 50/50 chance of having it. If it's good, it will have lots of otherwise diverse genes to live among. If it's bad, the rest of the population not having it will be what survives. This external gene source develops diversity for the gene quickly and also spreads non-fatal good stuff quickly.

Not so the flood example. One pair. Any harmful or even just "disadvantageous" recessives will almost certainly be in a large proportion of the mating pool within 2 or 3 generations.

To the extent one must rely on the supernatural to fulfill their Creationism (or flood) theories, they should not expect to find any natural evidence.:twocents

To the extent one must rely on the supernatural to fulfill their Creationism (or flood) theories, they should not expect to find any natural evidence.:twocents
So are you saying that the supernatural never leaves physical evidence of its activity, even when that activity is manifested through major physical events such as the alleged biblical flood?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back