Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

AVBunyan has had enough - Goodbye

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hello Mondar (and others):

I have been away for a few days. If possible, I would like to respond to some of your points.

mondar said:
Also, Romans 9 is not completely teaching national election. While there is a national election election taught in Romans 9, it is a reference not to the entire nation, but to the remnant of Israel. Romans 9:6 teaches that some of national Israel is non-elect. I find the illustrations Paul uses in Romans 9 to be illuminating. He uses Isaac,
Rom 9:7 neither, because they are Abraham's seed, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Jacob,
Rom 9:13 Even as it is written, Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.
Pharaoh,
Rom 9:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, For this very purpose did I raise thee up, that I might show in thee my power, and that my name might be published abroad in all the earth.
Was Pharaoh a nation? In the context, how can you say that Pharaoh is a nation? Pharaoh is an illustration of the kind of individual person that is the lump of clay fitted for destruction. Paul is not talking about the Egyptians in verse 17 but one individual Egyptian.

Tell me, would you be consistant enough to say that this passage that preceeds chapter 9 is also about nations?
I see no evidence at all to the effect that Romans 9 teaches election unto salvation for human beings generally. I agree that material in Romans 9 refers to God's sovereign use of individual persons, such as Pharaoh, to work out his plan of redemption for all mankind. The fact that God hardens hearts and sovereignly "manipulates" people does not justify a conclusion about election of individuals specifically unto salvation. Are you claiming that we can draw such a conclusion? I would be surprised if you could justify such a conclusion from the Romans 9 material only.

I agree that Pharoah was "elected" - but I think that Romans 9 only justifies concluding that he was elected in respect to doing something in God's grand plan - not that he was elected from the foundation of time unto damnation. Can you justify such a conclusion of personal election unto damnation for Pharaoh if you indeed hold such a view.

Although you personally may not be guilty here, I suggest that many / most people read Romans 9:22-23 without knowing the history and context of Paul's letter to the Romans, and without seeing how much Romans is not "systematic theology" (much of what I will write in the remainder of this post express the ideas of NT Wright).

Romans is not a series of statements about the sinfulness of man, how people get justified, and whether people are "elected" unto that justification, etc. It is more properly seen, I suggest, as Paul's account of how God, through Christ, has remained faithful to his covenant with Abraham and the implications of that for how the Gentiles and the Jews are to get along in the church in Rome. So while there are indeed implications for "individuals" the book is really about how God has remained true to his covenant with Abraham, created a new covenant family (containing both Jews and Gentiles) and what the implications are for "Israel according to the flesh".

This where Romans 9 kicks in. The verses in Romans 9 before the famous verses 22 and 23 are all about the covenant story told from beginning to end. We have Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses. Romans 9:14 contains a direct quote from Exodus 33:19: "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion".

So there is every reason to assume that in Romans 9, Paul is telling Israel's story and not expounding a theology of individuals. When we get to verses 22 and 23, I suggest that Paul is speaking specifically about the following: following the "Christ-pattern", national Israel has indeed been elected by God to be cast away for the sins of the world- and to play this role specifically in fulfilling the purpose of the covenant . Israel has indeed been a vessel "prepared for destruction" and it is all part of God's plan - to use the law to effectively "draw the world's sin onto Israel" and thereafter, in his great mercy, transfer it to the faithful Israelite - Jesus, thereby remaining true to the original covenant promise to use Israel to solve the problem of sin. Of course, we see in retrospect that it was not national Israel after all who solved the problem, but rather Jesus who effectively bears Israel's destiny as a truly representative Messiah - a destiny that national Israel has been faithless to.

The entire plan of redemption is "cruciform" - all of it is imbued with the same pattern. Israel, being elected unto destruction as per Romans 9:22-23, is acting out part of this pattern.

I see no reason to the potter's account in Romans 9 as being an expression of pre-destination of individuals in respect to eternal life. Once one realizes that Romans is all about the covenant, the coherence of the "personal election to heaven or hell" take on Romans 9:22-23 seems highly questionable.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back