Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Baptism discussion continued

F

Fnerb

I decide to move this to it's own thread so not to side-track that discussion anymore...

Jeff Mills said:
Water baptism by immersion is a step of obedience after faith in Christ. It is a proclamation of faith in Christ, a statement of submission to Him, and an identification with His death, burial, and resurrection.

Doesn't that place the emphasis on self and a personal decision rather than the unaided grace of God? I think that this turns baptism away from the Holy Spirit creating saving faith in us and makes it synergistic.

Jesus told His disciples to make disciples of all nations baptizing them in (or into) the name of the Triune God (Matthew 28:19). I don't read here as, "profess your faith so that you can then be baptised into faith." Rather, God's name is being put on the individual.

Jeff Mills said:
With this in view, infant baptism is not a Biblical practice. An infant cannot place his or her faith in Christ. An infant cannot make a conscious decision to obey Christ. An infant cannot understand what water baptism symbolizes.

Well it's simple - either you belive the at baptisim conveys saving grace or you do not.

Moreover, aren't you lowering faith in essance from something that is in essence a miracle, to something acedemic? How can one come to faith and request repentance unless the Spirt first stirs them to do so? As Luther wrote: “I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ my Lord or come to Him, but the Holy Ghost has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the one true faith.â€Â

Faith is a miracle that God works in us, it's not something we manufacture.

...more to come

It isn't the water baptism that saves you, but it is a symbol of your death in your old life and resurrection in your new life with Jesus. Unless one cannot be baptized due to illness or lack of time (like being saved on the deathbed) then everyone should be baptized by total body immersion. Jesus himself was baptized!
I don't see it as a proclamation of oneself or maybe it is, as a symbol of ones faith.

ChristineES said:
It isn't the water baptism that saves you, but it is a symbol of your death in your old life and resurrection in your new life with Jesus. Unless one cannot be baptized due to illness or lack of time (like being saved on the deathbed) then everyone should be baptized by total body immersion. Jesus himself was baptized!
I don't see it as a proclamation of oneself or maybe it is, as a symbol of ones faith.

I agree that it is not baptism that saves, it is a symbol of death and resurrection into your new life.

So if it does not save, why should everyone do it?

ChristineES said:
It isn't the water baptism that saves you, but it is a symbol of your death in your old life and resurrection in your new life with Jesus.

I don't believe anything different.

ChristineES said:
Unless one cannot be baptized due to illness or lack of time (like being saved on the deathbed) then everyone should be baptized by total body immersion. Jesus himself was baptized!

So you believe the manner of baptism makes the baptism? (IE - immersion vs sprinkling). Hmm...I was baptized as an infant with sprinkling. I am currently doing my own reaserch on this and do not have a complete statement ... yet. :wink:

ChristineES said:
WMD-

Because it is a sign of obedience.

I undrestand that it is a sign of obedience.. but it is not required. Not being baptised will not effect your relationship with God.

WMD said:
I undrestand that it is a sign of obedience.. but it is not required. Not being baptised will not effect your relationship with God.

No, true but I still would want to do it. In fact, I was baptized nearly 25 years ago. I felt as though I needed to do it and I wanted to do it. All of Jesus earliest followers were baptized. I feel if they did, we should do it, too.

WMD said:

There is so much more to being a Christian than coming down on the right side of the saved/not saved line. Growing in the Lord, walking in obedience, does not make God love us more. It makes us grow. Just like moving from first to second grade did not make your father love you more, but it was a good thing to have happen.

WMD said:
I have a desire to be closer to God. I have recently been drawn back to Christianity after backsliding quite a bit, but I feel that I am not "moved by the spirit." I want to feel God in my life and be close to him.

So I have decided to fast.

WMD said:

Is the same WMD who wrote a couple of months ago about a desire to be closer to God, now looking for ways to keep distance from Him?

Gabbylittleangel said:
Is the same WMD who wrote a couple of months ago about a desire to be closer to God, now looking for ways to keep distance from Him?

Not being baptised will not keep me further from him. I am growing closer to God every day and working on my relationship with him. There are many things that help your relationship with him grow, you do not have to do all of them in order to be closer to Him.

WMD said:
Not being baptised will not keep me further from him. I am growing closer to God every day and working on my relationship with him. There are many things that help your relationship with him grow, you do not have to do all of them in order to be closer to Him.

How do you decide what to reject?

I have been following this thread and reading the comments, more as a mod to make sure it stays on track as many of these baptism threads turn ugly real fast....most folks here make really good points, but I like what Christine wrote here...If I can just add my 2 cents worth to it.....

ChristineES said:
It isn't the water baptism that saves you, but it is a symbol of your death in your old life and resurrection in your new life with Jesus.
....This is so 100% true but let me briefly explain....
Lets look at the verse that most people who believe baptism is a requirement for salvation....always seem to refer to.....

1 pet 3: 21 There is also an antitype which now saves usâ€â€baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

By reading this verse out of context, it would seem to imply that baptism is a requirement for salvation.... But what about the thief on the cross, and what about so and so who made a confession of Christ right before he/she died?....This verse does not contradict itself and I agree with it 100%....
First lets look at what Paul said....In Rom. 6:3 Paul states we are “baptised unto death†meaning that we are not only dead to our former ways, but we are buried....Paul is not speaking of a phyisical death but a spiritual death...meaning our sins are buried and gone...Like wise the baptism that Peter is speaking about is a spiritual baptism....You see the moment one is born again he is baptised into Christ Jesus....So what Peter is saying is true...Unless you are baptized into christ Jesus (born again) you will not be saved...Peter used the flood of Noah as his example of purification.....

Folks. It is important to note, that when the bible speaks of baptism, it is not always refering to water unless it says so....If more exposition is required I would be happy to write it up....Lets move on...

Unless one cannot be baptized due to illness or lack of time (like being saved on the deathbed) then everyone should be baptized by total body immersion. Jesus himself was baptized!
Agreed.....Baptism does not save from sin, but from a bad conscience. Peter clearly taught that baptism was not merely a ceremonial act of physical purification......, but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. Baptism is the symbol of what has already occurred in the heart and life of one who has trusted Christ as Savior.....To make the source of salvation perfectly clear Peter added, ''by the resurrection of Jesus Christ'' go and see.....,,,1 Peter 1:3.

ChristineES said:
Already covered it above...

Gabbylittleangel said:
How do you decide what to reject?

I don't specifically reject anything. I do things to in order to get closer to God. If I do some things and not the others it does not mean my entry to heaven will be any different. If I never get around to being baptised than it is no big deal, that is all I am saying.

jgredline... thank you for your input. It has given me a better understanding of the way baptism is spoken of in the Bible.

The spiritual baptism spoken of in 1 Peter is of particular interest.

WMD said:
jgredline... thank you for your input. It has given me a better understanding of the way baptism is spoken of in the Bible.

The spiritual baptism spoken of in 1 Peter is of particular interest.

You are most welcome, and if you have any specific questions please ask.
If I don't know the answers to your questions there are plenty of good teachers here...
Blessings, javier

WMD-
Is there a reason why you don't want to be baptized? :infinity:

jgredline said:
Agreed.....Baptism does not save from sin, but from a bad conscience. Peter clearly taught that baptism was not merely a ceremonial act of physical purification......, but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. Baptism is the symbol of what has already occurred in the heart and life of one who has trusted Christ as Savior.....To make the source of salvation perfectly clear Peter added, ''by the resurrection of Jesus Christ'' go and see.....,,,1 Peter 1:3.

Already covered it above...

Hi Javier How are you brother,

You Said:

"Baptism does not save from sin, but from a bad conscience"

"How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?" Hebrews 9:14

Baptism or dead works does not save us from a bad conscience His Blood did, before water could reach us 2000 years ago.

Peter is addressing his Jewish contemporaries.
Paul is addressing the Gentile and the Jewish remnant.

Under Grace Baptism is a rudiment:

"Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;

Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation..."
Hebrews 9:9-11

We have Instructions under Grace to:

Leave "...The principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands..." Hebrews 6:1

You said:

jgredline said:
Peter clearly taught that baptism was not merely a ceremonial act of physical purification.

Is it a physical purification for the Body or the Spirit, for we know that our conscience is not physical.

Besides Peter said: "...not the removal of the filth of the flesh..." 1 Peter 3:21

So you can not purify the body.

"For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." Hebrews 10:14

"Them" don't need water Baptism

jgredline said:
In Rom. 6:3 Paul states we are “baptised unto death†meaning that we are not only dead to our former ways, but we are buried....Paul is not speaking of a phyisical death but a spiritual death....

This might be true if we are “baptised unto death†but we are "...baptised unto HIS death..." Romans 6:3

It changes the meaning of what you are saying.

We are not dead to our former self Peter Just told us so, Paul said:

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. Romans 7:18

"In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ" Colossians 2:11

But thanks to his Gift of Grace He put off the body of the sins of the flesh.

Where did he put it? Away from His presence! He sees His Son in you.

"For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren."
Romans 8:29

He sees the Image of His son in you. Christ got baptised so that you wouldn't.

He is the father of Spirits:

we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? Hebrews 12:9

"But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit" 1 Corinthians 6:17

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

"In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus" Romans 6:11

We seem to insist in looking at our Flesh Condition into our Christ Position.

Jesus was the last Adam The Adamic condition was destroyed by Jesus on the Cross:

"Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil" Hebrews 2:14

My advise is to try to understand your position in Christ.

I say this with a great spirit of humility and great respect to all. Please forgive me if I seem to be or give the impression of an arrogant spirit.

No It's not like that, I done my share of tears in trying to understand my position in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Like Jgradeline says... there are many good teachers here and I do learn from you Guys... :P

David Serrato
aka

Hi David
After reading your post a few times, I find my self agreeing with some of what your saying, but to be honest I really don't understand what your saying or what you believe after all that....Can you clarify your position in simple terms.

Thanks javier

Here is post of mine that can be found here....I feel this thread shows my position clearly.... http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... c&start=30

OK
After reading most of the post it seems to me that the heart of those who believe in baptism as a part of salvation is staked on this verse. Lets look at the context. This verse gets tossed around all the bible colleges and seminaries. Atleast it should be. Any good bible student should question this. Any good bible student with the help of the Holy Spirit will also see the truth of this scripture. I posted on this a while back, but can;t find it. Fortunatly I have some of my notes saved so lets take a look.

1 pet 3:18-22
18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us-baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.

OK
Lets look at the context of this verse.. Most people think that verse 21 is all on its own and is usually taken out of context. So for the sake of the scriptures lets take a look at what Peter is saying here. Really, I should go back a little further, but for the sake of the length of this post I will try and keep it short. There is allot allot of meat here

Verses 19, 20 constitute one of the most puzzling and intriguing texts in the NT. It has been made the pretext for such unbiblical doctrines as purgatory on the one hand and universal salvation on the other. However, among evangelical Christians, there are two commonly accepted interpretations. I will very briefly cover both views again for the sake of context.

According to the first, Christ went to Hades in spirit between His death and resurrection, and proclaimed the triumph of His mighty work on the cross. There is disagreement among proponents of this view as to whether the spirits in prison were believers, unbelievers, or both. But there is fairly general agreement that the Lord Jesus did not preach the gospel to them. That would involve the doctrine of a second chance which is nowhere taught in the Bible. Those who hold this view often link this passage with Ephesians 4:9 where the Lord is described as descending “into the lower parts of the earth.†They cite this as added proof that He went to Hades in the disembodied state and heralded His victory at Calvary. They also cite the words of the Apostles’ Creed â€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“descended into hell.â€Â

The second interpretation is that Peter is describing what happened in the days of Noah. It was the spirit of Christ who preached through Noah to the unbelieving generation before the flood. They were not disembodied spirits at that time, but living men and women who rejected the warnings of Noah and were destroyed by the flood. So now they are spirits in the prison of Hades.
This second view best fits the context and has the least difficulties connected with it. Let us examine the passage phrase by phrase.
By whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison. The relative pronoun whom obviously refers back to Spirit at the end of verse 18. I understand this to mean the Holy Spirit. In 1:11 of this Letter the “Spirit of Christ,†that is, the Holy Spirit, is described as speaking through the prophets of the OT. And in Genesis 6:3, God speaks of His Spirit, that is, the Holy Spirit, as nearing the limit of endurance with the antediluvians.
He went and preached. As already mentioned, it was Christ who preached, but he preached through Noah. In 2 Peter 2:5, Noah is described as a “preacher of righteousness.†It is the same root word used here of Christ’s preaching.
I know what your saying. What does this have to do with baptism? Well it does. Bare with me.

To the spirits now in prison. These were the people to whom Noah preachedâ€â€living men and women who heard the warning of an impending flood and the promise of salvation in the ark. They rejected the message and were drowned in the deluge. They are now disembodied spirits in prison, awaiting the final judgment.

Do you see where I am going with this?

OK, So the verse may be amplified as follows: “by whom (the Holy Spirit) He (Christ) went and preached (through Noah) to the spirits now in prison (Hades).â€Â
But what right do I have to assume that the spirits in prison were the living men in Noah’s day? The answer is found in the following verse.

3:20 Here the spirits in prison are unmistakably identified. Who were they? Those who formerly were disobedient. When were they disobedient? When once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared. What was the final outcome? Only a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.

It is well to pause here and think about the general flow of thought in this Letter which was written against a general background of persecution.

The Christians to whom Peter wrote were suffering because of their life and testimony. Perhaps they wondered why, if the Christian faith was right, they should be suffering rather than reigning. If Christianity was the true faith, why were there so few Christians?

To answer the first question, Peter points to the Lord Jesus. Christ suffered for righteousness’ sake, even to the extent of being put to death. But God raised Him from the dead and glorified Him in heaven (see v. 22). The pathway to glory led through the valley of suffering.

Next Peter refers to Noah. For 120 years this faithful preacher warned that God was going to destroy the world with water. His thanks was scorn and rejection. But God vindicated him by saving him and his family through the flood.

Then there is the problem, “If we are right, why are there so few of us?†Peter answers: “There was a time when only eight people in the world were right and all the rest were wrong!â€Â

At the end of verse 20, we read that a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. It is not that they were saved by water; they were saved through the water. Water was not the savior, but the judgment through which God brought them safely.

To properly understand this statement and the verse that follows, we must see the typical meaning of the ark and of the flood. The ark is a picture of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The flood of water depicts the judgment of God.

The ark was the only way of salvation. When the flood came, only those who were inside were saved; all those on the outside perished. So Christ is the only way of salvation; those who are in Christ are as saved as God Himself can make them.

Those on the outside could not be more lost.

The water was not the means of salvation, for all who were in the water drowned.

The ark was the place of refuge.
The ark went through the water of judgment; it took the full brunt of the storm.
Not a drop of water reached those inside the ark. So Christ bore the fury of God’s judgment against our sins. For those who are in Him there is no judgment (John 5:24).

The ark had water beneath it, and water coming down on top of it, and water all around it. But it bore its believing occupants through the water to safety in a renewed creation. So those who trust the Savior are brought safely through a scene of death and desolation to resurrection ground and a new life.

3:21 There is also an antitype which now saves usâ€â€baptism. Ok, so here we are in difficult and controversial territory!
This verse has been a battleground between those who teach baptismal regeneration and those who deny that baptism has any power to save.

Now that we know the context, lets see what this means.

First let us see what it means, and then what it cannot mean.
Actually, there is a baptism which saves usâ€â€not our baptism in water, but a baptism which took place at Calvary almost 2000 years ago. Christ’s death was a baptism. He was baptized in the waters of judgment. This is what He meant when He said, “I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished!†(Luke 12:50). The psalmist described this baptism in the words, “Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; all Your waves and billows have gone over me†(Ps. 42:7). In His death, Christ was baptized in the waves and billows of God’s wrath, and it is this baptism that is the basis for our salvation.

But we must accept His death for ourselves. Just as Noah and his family had to enter the ark to be saved, so we must commit ourselves to the Lord as our only Savior. When we do this, we become identified with Him in His death, burial, and resurrection.

In a very real sense, we then have been crucified with Him (Gal. 2:20), we have been buried with Him (Rom. 6:4), and we have been brought from death to life with Him (Rom. 6:4).

All this is pictured in the believer’s baptism. The ceremony is an outward sign of what has taken place spiritually; we have been baptized into Christ’s death. As we go under the water, we acknowledge that we have been buried with Him. As we come up out of the water, we show that we have risen with Him and want to walk in newness of life. But this is a ceremony and thats basically it. If we do not attend the ceremony, we are still saved.. We may miss out on the blessing, But we are still saved.

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... c&start=30

ChristineES said:
WMD-
Is there a reason why you don't want to be baptized? :infinity:

I never said that I don't want to be baptised. I am just sayin that if I never get baptised, my place in heaven will not be effected.

Back