Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Care/Maintenance

All,

I am new to the forum, so I am sorry if this has been covered before.

My fiancée bought a new hand-bound calfskin leather Bible as a gift. It is beautiful and I love carrying it and reading it. Unfortunately though, I almost can't enjoy using it because I worry about messing it up.

I want to get a Bible cover for it, but I am also thinking I might just buy a cheaper Bible instead just so I can read it without having to worry as much. Thoughts?

I appreciate your responses in advance,
Medicus

It is a gift and I know it is precious to you. I encourage you to buy a cover for it and carefully use it any time you need it. You may also buy another bible, the same type or a different type.

Enjoy!
Welcome to CF.net:wave

All,

My fiancee bought a new hand-bound calfskin leather Bible as a gift. It is beautiful and I love carrying it and reading it. Unfortunately though, I almost can't enjoy using it because I worry about messing it up.

I want to get a Bible cover for it, but I am also thinking I might just buy a cheaper Bible instead just so I can read it without having to worry as much. Thoughts?

Medicus
My thought
Great idea...get one you can write in....

Your fiancee? We girls like romance. Maybe you could find a way to use the gift Bible in your wedding....

Women, always romantic, could spill kitchen oil on stuff. It's still part of the romance thing. Don't use it in the kitchen.:chin

Hi, reba;)

All,

My fiancée bought a new hand-bound calfskin leather Bible as a gift. It is beautiful and I love carrying it and reading it. Unfortunately though, I almost can't enjoy using it because I worry about messing it up.

Medicus

Oh, DO mess it up! A person that "messes up" their bible is not messed up in the eyes of God, regardless of where you got the bible. As a matter of fact, do Like I do and use highlighter and write in notes. Yes, the bible will be "messed up", but it will endure more stress than you think it will. They make them to last decades even doing what I said.

But if you still can't get yourself to do so, then hang it on the wall or frame it and get another bible to mess up. Your financee may wonder why you are not using the bible she gave to you, however. And if she expects that all bibles should be clean and picture-perfect, then she does not know the first thing about studying God's Word. It's your call.

What a perfect gift, TraumaNotarzt ... she has shown her love for you ... congrats!

By all means, get a cover for your gift... many of them come with pockets so you can put notes, pens, etc, for convenience.

It took a little while before I was comfortable with writing notes on the pages in my Bible. But I don't hesitate at all any longer. So make full use of your Bible...it's yours from which to learn.

Welcome to CFnet!

:wave

As Bob Mumford used to say:

"If your Bible is too good to mark in, then throw it away and get one that's NOT "Too good" to mark in".

Since Bibles are a dime a dozen, and dirt cheap, just grab another one, and put the good one on the shelf for posterity.

:grumpy Not untill after they use it in the wedding....

You guys are messing up my wedding plans for them..:sad

My most prized Bible is held together with rubber bands and chunks of pages are just gone

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest you put it away for safe-keeping. As Reba remarked it would be a wonderful item to include in your wedding; I would go farther and suggest it would be a wonderful thing to pass down to your children. Marking up a Bible is all well and good, but would you do so to a hundred year old Bible? If you treat this well it could very well still be in your family one hundred years from now along with a beautiful story about how the then owner's great grandmother gave it as a gift to her husband before their wedding. Make it a part of your family's heritage.

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest you put it away for safe-keeping. As Reba remarked it would be a wonderful item to include in your wedding; I would go farther and suggest it would be a wonderful thing to pass down to your children. Marking up a Bible is all well and good, but would you do so to a hundred year old Bible? If you treat this well it could very well still be in your family one hundred years from now along with a beautiful story about how the then owner's great grandmother gave it as a gift to her husband before their wedding. Make it a part of your family's heritage.

yeah i agree with CN , that would be sweet:thumbsup

CN is also right. But they should try as much as possible to keep the bible away from a dozen children God gives them, their immediate progeny.

I can't help but feel this also part of some sort of personality flaw I have. I can't ever use or enjoy things because I am always so concerned with maintenance and wearing it out.

For example, I work part time as a mechanic and there is a battery powered ratchet I want to get at $150. But the reason I haven't ordered it yet is that I am concerned with how much I would use it since I worry about damaging it. Which I also know is utterly ridiculous since some full time mechanics use it and love the thing.

Back