Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Bible study questions

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
7Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

18For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

19For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

20And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

1. what would divide, and offend Christians, from non Christians?
2. What is CONTRARY to the doctrine of the New Testament?
3. If they don't serve Jesus, whom do they serve?
4. Why should we be wise about what is good, but simple concerning evil?
5. Besides being the God of peace, what other attributes does God have?

Biblereader said:
7Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

18For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

19For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

20And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

MY COMMENTS: First of all, it would have helped to have given the book and chapter from where you are quoting, but I recognized it from Romans 16 and found it. Also, vs. "7" should be "17."

1. In My Opinion: the main doctrine that would cause divisions in the church at Rome (to whom Paul is writing), would be the teaching that salvation is not by grace and through faith alone, but by faith and keeping all the commandments. In other of Paul's epistles, he referred to them as "judaizers." We assume those who cause divisions are unbelievers, pretending to be believers, for they are part of the church in Rome.

2. The doctrine (described above) is referred to as "the doctrine which ye have learned" (vs. 17). The gospel Paul was enlightened to preach was that the church/body of Christ has been justified and reconciled to God which is its standing before God. A position not afforded the righteous Israelites and proselytes whose future is the Messianic kingdom on earth, and to whom Jesus came to minister.

3. Well, from what Paul writes here and in other letters, these false teachers convince some new Christians that they (these false teachers) should be their leaders, and receive praise and adoration, and even gifts and money. Obviously they are serving "their own belly" and not the Lord Jesus Christ.

4. I believe it is saying , when it comes to doing good, or thinking about good things, we should use wisdom as to how we should use our time. And, when it comes to evil, we should be innocent, not being a part of it.

5. When it comes to all the other attributes of God, I suggest you research some commentaries, for the number would be a long list.

Blessings, Bick

greetings

first may I sugest an up to date version - the King James is great for depth of understanding but the meaning of words change over time so words in the KJV may not neseserily be the meaning we assosiate with a word today - like for example ( not Biblical example ) the word gay - the meaning is happy , jolly but the meaning today is homosexual.

this section of scripture is speaking of those who are ''christian leaders'' that then go and lead people away from God check this out:

1 tim ch 6 ( these are in Bible gate way so have left in the referances for you to check )
False Teachers and True Contentment
(D) Teach and urge these things.
3If anyone(E) teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with(F) the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching(G) that accords with godliness,
4(H) he is puffed up with conceit and(I) understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for(J) controversy and for(K) quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions,
5and constant friction among people(L) who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth,(M) imagining that godliness is a means of gain.
6Now there is great gain in(N) godliness(O) with contentment,
7for(P) we brought nothing into the world, and[c] we cannot take anything out of the world.
8But(Q) if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.
9But(R) those who desire to be rich fall into temptation,(S) into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that(T) plunge people into ruin and destruction.
10For the love of money is a root of(U) all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

colosians ch 2
2 peter ch 2

1 John
not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginningâ€â€(I) that we love one another.
6And(J) this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just(K) as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it.
7For(L) many deceivers(M) have gone out into the world,(N) those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.
8Watch yourselves,(O) so that you may not lose what we[a] have worked for, but(P) may win a full reward.
9Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ,(Q) does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
10If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching,(R) do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, 11for whoever greets him(S) takes part in his wicked works

philipians ch 3 v 19
their god is their belly, and(C) they glory in their shame, with(D) minds set on earthly things.

2 tim ch 3 v 4
lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,

plesure and gluttony are called Idoletry in the Bible, those who make idols and worship them God says are fools - one of the worst things unbelievers can be called - for whom harsh things are said perticulaly in jeramiah

mat ch 10
16(A) "Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be(B) wise as serpents and(C) innocent as doves.
at its simplest - sheep are frail easily frightened and killed creatures that need leadership in order to suvive ( I know this - I have done a lot of work with sheep in the past and God willing will be so agin shortly) wolves are preditors and will damage a sheep very much if it got among the flock - Christians are called sheep here to remind us that we are to follow Jesus and trust Him who alone can look out for us - we do not know who these wolves are or will be but we have their blue print as described above
what happened to adam and eve when they became wise concerning evil? they sinned - the knowledge of eivle breeds evil - this is why we are to be as wise as serpents - being able to be descerning - meture in the faith and inocent as doves - that is symbolic of the holy spirit - having a clear conscience - blessed is he who has no reason to condemn himself for what he aproves

may I direct you please to look on blue letter Bible as there is an exaustive list of Gods atributes - these are shown in the Names of God in the Bible of witch there are many.

hope of some help
dza devlefa
a-R

Ana-Rose I agree with all you wrote I would only add this for clarification.
1st John Chapter 3
19And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. 20For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. 21Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. 22And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 24And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

This is not the keeping of days months new moons and the holy days as they did in the old days.
Paul called those weak and unable to save us.
I still believe they are with us in the spirit we now rest in Christ our Sabbath daily.
Christ is our daily passover
Christ is our daily atonement
Christ is our daily Pentecost
Christ is our daily tabernacle
If we could only get the picture of this. These things were not done away with but were changed and created back into our lifes by Christ our redeemer.
How can we say now we have pagan holy days when Gods holy days live in us.
What ever is good what ever is holy think on these things.

greetings

still believe they are with us in the spirit we now rest in Christ our Sabbath daily.
please clarify this statement because this does not make sence.

Christ is our daily passover - this is not Biblical the passover is never mentioned in the Biblr in this way and certainly it is not one of Jesus names in the Bible any where.
the passover is the picture of Jesus saving us from our sin - a type or shadow of the things to come and was fulfilled when Jesus died on the cross.

Christ is our daily atonement - you will need to clarify this one as it could be taken the wrong way

Christ is our daily Pentecost - this is not a biblical statement either sorry penticost was the giving of the Holy Spirit to the deciples in acts

Christ is our daily tabernacle - this is not one of Jesus names in the Bible - the Bible says that Jesus tabernacled among us - that is lived among us as The God man. we are also called temples of the Holy Spirit
These things were not done away with but were changed and created back into our lifes by Christ our redeemer - please provide proof texts for this
How can we say now we have pagan holy days when Gods holy days live in us.

What ever is good what ever is holy think on these things. - this is a compleatly different issue as it relates to growth in Grace especily what we think - would be happy to discuss this in a seperate thread.

may I sugest blue letter Bible and Bible gateway - they were a big help to me .
I would not seek to discourage or critisise you in your quest to know the truth ( Who is Jesus )

may God aid your understanding as you seek to rightly devide the word of truth
dza devlefa
a-R

anna-Rose said:
greetings

first may I sugest an up to date version - t
I appreciate where you are coming from, but, I have never needed another version.
Even when I was a brand new Christian, I understood the KJV, and, if I had a question, I looked up the answers in a Young's analytical concordance, or a Greek English reference book.

Many of today's bible versions have been so overworked that the meaning of the Gospel is, well, meaningless.
thanks for replying, though.

anna-Rose said:
greetings

Christ is our daily passover - this is not Biblical the passover is never mentioned in the Biblr in this way and certainly it is not one of Jesus names in the Bible any where.
Yes, it is: For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us" (1 Corinthians 5:7 KJV)

Christ is our daily atonement - you will need to clarify this one as it could be taken the wrong way

How can it be taken the "wrong way"? Jesus paid for our sins, past, present, and future, we sin daily, no one I know has gone a day without sinning.

dza devlefa
a-R

anna-Rose said:
greetings

to suvive ( I know this - I have done a lot of work with sheep in the past and God willing will be so agin shortly)

I'm a knitter. Do you have anything to do with the wool of the sheep? What kind of sheep are they, that you deal/dealt with? Can I get some roving?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back