Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Bible study tips & tricks

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Taafe

2024 Supporter
Good morning all,

I’m going to start Bible study and I'm interested in how you more mature Christians go about this.

My plan is this but please feel free to input any advice/ tips that have helped you along your journey.

1. Choose 30mins - 1 hour of study time.
2. Pray
3. Pick a book of the Gospel’s
4. Read a few verses
5. Write down in my own words:
What is the message?
6. Read what my Bible study says about it.
7. Closing pray

I understand there isn't a right or wrong way but would love some feedback that may better help me understand the Word.

Thank you

Good morning all,

I’m going to start Bible study and I'm interested in how you more mature Christians go about this.

My plan is this but please feel free to input any advice/ tips that have helped you along your journey.

2. Pray
4. Read a few verses
What is the message?
7. Closing pray

I understand there isn't a right or wrong way but would love some feedback that may better help me understand the Word.

Thank you
https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Read-Bible-All-Worth/dp/0310517826 is worth a read.

Good morning all,

2. Pray
4. Read a few verses
What is the message?
7. Closing pray

Thank you
I'll tell you how I've done this but could you explain what you mean by no. 6?

Good morning all,

2. Pray
4. Read a few verses
What is the message?
7. Closing pray

Thank you
Hey All,
Don't forget make the study applicable to the reader's lives. How does knowing what is being taught make a person better?
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Good morning all,

2. Pray
4. Read a few verses
What is the message?
7. Closing pray

Thank you
Maybe a Bible reading plan would be helpful rather that just a random approach. Following a plan can make it easier to stay motivated. Another option might be to follow a daily devotional or even include it in your daily prayer/study time. And finally, don't forget that God gave us two ears and only one mouth so spend some time just listening/meditating.

Maybe a Bible reading plan would be helpful rather that just a random approach. Following a plan can make it easier to stay motivated. Another option might be to follow a daily devotional or even include it in your daily prayer/study time. And finally, don't forget that God gave us two ears and only one mouth so spend some time just listening/meditating.
I just wanted this time to be for the Bible study as I usually read my Bible each night before sleep.

Hey All,
Don't forget to make the study applicable to the reader's lives. How does knowing what is being taught make a person better?
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Yes, the best way is to try and live out what the Word says and put it into practice.
Easier said than done. ☺️

Hi Taafe

Everyone has their own way of studying the Bible and what I might suggest, that took me years to figure out, is to first pray and ask the Holy Spirit to teach you and give you understanding of what you are reading. Take each chapter word by word and verse by verse of what Jesus wants you to learn and do not move on until you understand the verse you are reading as when you do this then you will understand the whole chapter with the help of the Holy Spirit. Never be afraid to ask questions, but at times you will get various answers. When others give you their understanding with scripture just take them and look them up to make sure of what one is telling you lines up with scripture as many will twist the word of God to make it line up with what they say. There is a Q&A forum to ask questions and feel free to use it as much as you need to.

Yes of course. I mean my plan is to read what my Bible commentaries/ Stuby Bibles say about that passage once I've tried to make sense of it first.
OK!
What I like about your reply is that you would read the verse/s first, maybe even in a few different versions (so easy nowadays!) and make sure you have some idea of what it's saying.

THEN you go to the commentaries and see what a few have to say.
I really believe that we can't be making up our own doctrine - but I also believe that WE OURSELVES need to understand what God is telling us in His word before we allow someone to "adjust" our thinking about it.

I'd also try to get some history and culture of the time into your studies.
If you can bear it you should read THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JESUS THE MESSIAH.
A. Edersheim

Or just look up on the web different aspects of biblical concepts.
For instance, I learned on the web that women were treated better in the time of Moses than in the time of Jesus.
Read as much as you can even outside of the bible. You'll have to "sift" a little but I have a feeling you'll be good at doing this.

Remember also to use cross references that almost every bible has, and which also the commentaries have.

Starting with Matthew would be a good start. He wrote for the Jews.
Learn when and why each book in the NT was written.

I think that's a good start. I'm sure you've been given a lot of good advice.

And welcome to our forum!
:)

Yes, the best way is to try and live out what the Word says and put it into practice.
Easier said than done. ☺️
It becomes easier as time goes by.
I absolutely believe that Christianity holds many answers that are not available anywhere else.

Hi Taafe

Everyone has their own way of studying the Bible and what I might suggest, that took me years to figure out, is to first pray and ask the Holy Spirit to teach you and give you understanding of what you are reading. Take each chapter word by word and verse by verse of what Jesus wants you to learn and do not move on until you understand the verse you are reading as when you do this then you will understand the whole chapter with the help of the Holy Spirit. Never be afraid to ask questions, but at times you will get various answers. When others give you their understanding with scripture just take them and look them up to make sure of what one is telling you lines up with scripture as many will twist the word of God to make it line up with what they say. There is a Q&A forum to ask questions and feel free to use it as much as you need to.
That’s great, thanks. My pastor is very knowledgeable and always keeps to what the scripture says. I’ll check myself also using this sites Q&A section as it’s always better to get other peoples interpretations.

Now I understand a little more I’m move aware how people can change scripture like when I did the Alpha course. The Q&A at the end of each session was sometimes not good because of the answers we got I just knew they were wrong. 😑

OK!
What I like about your reply is that you would read the verse/s first, maybe even in a few different versions (so easy nowadays!) and make sure you have some idea of what it's saying.

THEN you go to the commentaries and see what a few have to say.
I really believe that we can't be making up our own doctrine - but I also believe that WE OURSELVES need to understand what God is telling us in His word before we allow someone to "adjust" our thinking about it.

I'd also try to get some history and culture of the time into your studies.
If you can bear it you should read THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JESUS THE MESSIAH.
A. Edersheim

Or just look up on the web different aspects of biblical concepts.
For instance, I learned on the web that women were treated better in the time of Moses than in the time of Jesus.
Read as much as you can even outside of the bible. You'll have to "sift" a little but I have a feeling you'll be good at doing this.

Remember also to use cross references that almost every bible has, and which also the commentaries have.

Starting with Matthew would be a good start. He wrote for the Jews.
Learn when and why each book in the NT was written.

I think that's a good start. I'm sure you've been given a lot of good advice.

And welcome to our forum!
:)
Thank you so much for the book you recommended
THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JESUS THE MESSIAH.
A. Edersheim

If possible, please can you send a photo of the book cover? When searching for it on Google at least 5 different versions have shown up all with different book covers.
(Just wanted to make sure I ordered the correct one)

I do have a few commentaries and Bible background books and I’ll start in the book of Matthew like you mentioned and this looks like a good affordable single book commentary “Matthew Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary”

Thanks for all the great advice I really appreciate it 😊

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back