Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Binding and loosing demons: Matt 16:19

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

OzSpen

C F Martin D28 acoustic guitar
Talk about controversy! I have heard them in churches and small groups, ‘I bind you, Satan, in the name of Jesus'. These preachers use verses like Matt 16:19 to support their views.

In context, do binding and loosing have anything to do with Satan and his demons?

‘To “bind” … in rabbinical language is to forbid, to “loose” … is to permit’. The verbs for ‘bind’ and ‘forbid’ are future, perfect, indicative, indicating the binding and loosing has been completed – with continuing results. Jesus uses binding and loosing language to all of the disciples in Matt: 18:18. After his resurrection, Jesus’ repeats the same language (John 20:33), indicating this is not the special privilege given to Peter (Robertson 1930:134).​

This view also is supported by Friedrich Büchsel in The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament under the entries for dew (I bind) and luw (I loose) in Matt 16:19 and elsewhere,

Jesus does not give to Peter and the other disciples any power to enchant or to free by magic. The customary meaning of the Rabbinic expressions is equally incontestable, namely, to declare forbidden or permitted, and thus to impose or remove an obligation, by a doctrinal decision (Büchsel 1964.2:60).​

So every preacher or disciple who shares the Gospel of Christ for salvation is engaged in binding and loosing.

Satan and his demons are missing from this context. It has everything to do with calling people to repentance (being loosed) and warning them about continuing in sin and the ultimate eternal consequences.

I cannot find any Scripture to support the view that Christians are called upon to bind and loose Satan.

This exegesis may disappoint some, but I have to be true to the biblical language and its interpretation in context.

Oz

wondering

Talk about controversy! I have heard them in churches and small groups, ‘I bind you, Satan, in the name of Jesus'. These preachers use verses like Matt 16:19 to support their views.

In context, do binding and loosing have anything to do with Satan and his demons?

‘To “bind” … in rabbinical language is to forbid, to “loose” … is to permit’. The verbs for ‘bind’ and ‘forbid’ are future, perfect, indicative, indicating the binding and loosing has been completed – with continuing results. Jesus uses binding and loosing language to all of the disciples in Matt: 18:18. After his resurrection, Jesus’ repeats the same language (John 20:33), indicating this is not the special privilege given to Peter (Robertson 1930:134).​

This view also is supported by Friedrich Büchsel in The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament under the entries for dew (I bind) and luw (I loose) in Matt 16:19 and elsewhere,

Jesus does not give to Peter and the other disciples any power to enchant or to free by magic. The customary meaning of the Rabbinic expressions is equally incontestable, namely, to declare forbidden or permitted, and thus to impose or remove an obligation, by a doctrinal decision (Büchsel 1964.2:60).​

So every preacher or disciple who shares the Gospel of Christ for salvation is engaged in binding and loosing.

Satan and his demons are missing from this context. It has everything to do with calling people to repentance (being loosed) and warning them about continuing in sin and the ultimate eternal consequences.

I cannot find any Scripture to support the view that Christians are called upon to bind and loose Satan.

This exegesis may disappoint some, but I have to be true to the biblical language and its interpretation in context.

Oz

wondering
I agree Oz. In some of my Bible text notes it indicates this passage is also about church discipline. Which is maybe what you are saying in your much more knowledgeable way.
On the topic of dealing with demons is the warning in Jude 1:9
"But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgement, but said, 'the Lord rebuke you.'"
So your right, nothing instructing us to bind or loose demons, but a dire warning against confronting them The Bible does tell us clearly how we are to deal with Satan in James 4:7 "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."
That little book of Jude is seldom mentioned or investigated yet it contains warnings about false teachers relevant today, that are a great help in discerning the spirits.?

Oz

wondering
Hi Oz,,,
I never heard this to be associated with demons, but the two churches I've attended tend not to speak about demons too much.

So what you're saying is that what is loosed on earth will be loosed in heaven...
WHAT IS PERMITTED on earth will be permitted in heaven...

What is bound on earth will be bound in heaven.
WHAT IS FORBIDDEN on earth will be forbidden in heaven.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Why would it start HERE and not in heaven?

God's will be done
on earth
as it is in heaven...

??

OzSpen I would agree that much of the drama of modern televangelists has more to do with ratings than holiness and God (if that is what you were saying). Still, a QUESTION REMAINS: "Under this view, how does one deal with Scriptures such as:"

Matthew 10:1
Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

Mark 3:15
... and to have authority to cast out the demons.

Mark 16:17
These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;

Mark 6:13
And they were casting out many demons and were anointing with oil many sick people and healing them.

Acts 16:18
She continued doing this for many days. But Paul was greatly annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her!" And it came out at that very moment.

Luke 9:49
John answered and said, "Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name; and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow along with us."

Matthew 12:27 and Luke 11:19
If I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? For this reason they will be your judges.

Mark 19:18
and whenever it seizes him, it slams him to the ground and he foams at the mouth, and grinds his teeth and stiffens out. I told Your disciples to cast it out, and they could not do it.

Luke 9:40
I begged Your disciples to cast it out, and they could not.

Matthew 17:19
Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not drive it out?"

Last edited:
Reactions: JLB
Hi Oz,,,
I never heard this to be associated with demons, but the two churches I've attended tend not to speak about demons too much.

So what you're saying is that what is loosed on earth will be loosed in heaven...

God's will be done
on earth
as it is in heaven...

??

wondering,

It starts here on earth because that is where the Gospel is proclaimed that makes entrance through the gate of eternal life possible.

Oz

Hi Oz,,,

wondering,

Most of the binding/loosing to which I referred was in Pentecostal-Charismatic churches I have attended.

Oz

OzSpen I would agree that much of the drama of modern televangelists has more to do with ratings than holiness and God (if that is what you were saying). Still, a QUESTION REMAINS: "Under this view, how does one deal with Scriptures such as:"

Matthew 10:1
Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

Mark 3:15
... and to have authority to cast out the demons.

Mark 16:17
These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;

Mark 6:13
And they were casting out many demons and were anointing with oil many sick people and healing them.

Acts 16:18
She continued doing this for many days. But Paul was greatly annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her!" And it came out at that very moment.

Luke 9:49
John answered and said, "Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name; and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow along with us."

Matthew 12:27 and Luke 11:19
If I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? For this reason they will be your judges.

Mark 19:18
and whenever it seizes him, it slams him to the ground and he foams at the mouth, and grinds his teeth and stiffens out. I told Your disciples to cast it out, and they could not do it.

Luke 9:40
I begged Your disciples to cast it out, and they could not.

Matthew 17:19
Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not drive it out?"

Sparrowhawke,

None of these excellent verses conflicts with the exegesis I provided in Matt 16:19.

If you travelled with missionaries to countries where there is serious demonic activity in the culture, you'd be exposed to the need for exorcism. However, when some of these missionaries return to their conservative churches in the western world, they avoid talk of the demonic.

God certainly gives Holy Spirit power for demons to be cast out, but the passage in Matt 16 was not teaching that.

Oz

Reactions: JLB
Mat 10:25 KJV said:
It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more [shall they call] them of his household?"

Who was speaking here? Was this musing one of Matthew (the author), or was he quoting Jesus?

God certainly gives Holy Spirit power for demons to be cast out, but the passage in Matt 16 was not teaching that.

OzSpen Oh, I see. The OP wants to limit this conversation to an examination of a single scripture? Is there a good reason to limit our focus to this degree, please?

Last edited:
Maybe a story will help us reacquaint.

I was with my kids (single dad, 2 young sons - some 20+ years ago) and we had been attendance at one of those big corporate churches. The time came for the song service and me and mine stood and started singing with the congregation. Well, that is, we started but did not continue.

For the 2nd song the song leader asked us (the congregation) to look around under the seats and pull out what looked like a little, stuffed, demon dolls. We were told to put it down on the floor and to stomp it in time to the music while we sung. The song was about 'taking back what the devil had stolen'. There was no way I was going to allow my children to be taught to revile and vainly rail against that which was greater. To me, that is akin to taking the Lord's Name in vain.

"Come on, guys. We're outta here." Of course, my kids wanted to take the toys... /lol

Perhaps we should look at 2 Corinthians, chapter 10. In verse 4 we see that we have been provided weapons of warfare that are mighty through God to the pulling down (destruction) of such things. The Greek word translated there are "strongholds" means fortresses or fortified places. The weapons within the possession or within the reach of Christians are mighty unto the pulling down of fortresses. We know that our struggles in not against flesh and blood... but against principalities and powers in high places.

It's more than a simple dew (I bind) and luw (I loose), as seen in a single verse. BTW, thanks for that. I'll add the Mt 16 dew/luw terms to my vocabulary. You taught me a new. /SMILE

Boaz is right about his Luke 1:9 comment and we know that many such rail against Spirit and Powers in High places that they, themselves, do not understand.

Also? We know each other from long time ago but maybe you don't know me well enough to say, "Hey, Sparrow! Good to see you, but shut up, please. I'll get to that in due time..."

Or, "Please do not burden or over-tax my OP." To me? That's okay between brothers. It's good to see you here.

If you travelled with missionaries to countries where there is serious demonic activity in the culture, you'd be exposed to the need for exorcism.

Have you? I mean, have you been in places where there is serious demonic activity? My Ex-Mother-in-Law and Ex-Father-in-Law were both missionaries stationed in Kenya, now retired. Their daughter grew up there. You should hear some of those stories . . .

Last edited:
@Boaz is right about his Luke 1:9 comment and we know that many such rail against Spirit and Powers in High places that they, themselves, do not understand.

30 minute limit for Edits <----- SHEESH!
I make too many typo's when I post. This should be Jude 1:9 . /my bad

Last edited:
Who was speaking here? Was this musing one of Matthew (the author), or was he quoting Jesus?

OzSpen Oh, I see. The OP wants to limit this conversation to an examination of a single scripture? Is there a good reason to limit our focus to this degree, please?

Didn't you read my post where I cited A T Robertson's exposition:

Jesus uses binding and loosing language to all of the disciples in Matt: 18:18. After his resurrection, Jesus’ repeats the same language (John 20:33), indicating this is not the special privilege given to Peter (Robertson 1930:134).​

I'm not liking your attitude towards me. If it continues, I'll not reply.

wondering,

It starts here on earth because that is where the Gospel is proclaimed that makes entrance through the gate of eternal life possible.

Oz
OK.
This is very interesting because I have a Catholic friend (all my friends are Catholic now) that has a spiritual advisor. We discussed this one time because I've never had the need for one --- I'm not saying this is a good thing; It must be my character type.

She told me that even if he tells her to do something that sounds contrary to God's will,,,,she should do it and HE would be responsible and not her.

Does this sound like Loosing to you? IOW, he is permitting her to do something and this will be accepted in heaven.

wondering,

Most of the binding/loosing to which I referred was in Pentecostal-Charismatic churches I have attended.

Oz
Yes, I thought so.
I think they speak too much of possession and demonic activity....
I take this to be a really serious subject and that seems to diminish it. Just my opinion.

Hi Oz,,,

God's will be done
on earth
as it is in heaven...

??

Because In the beginning with Adam and Eve, God gave them the earth, to carry out His will and execute His authority over the earth which is called Dominion.

Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
Genesis 1:26

again

The heaven, even the heavens, are the Lord’s;
But the earth He has given to the children of men.
Psalm 115:16

Man lost this when he obeyed Satan, in which Satan usurped this God given authority.

Jesus came to restore what man had lost in the garden, as well as to demonstrate what that was to look like.

He exercised authority over demons, over the wind, over sickness, disease and death.

So now, Jesus could say...

“Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Matthew 18:18

and again

So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” John 20:21-23

JLB

So your right, nothing instructing us to bind or loose demons, but a dire warning against confronting them The Bible does tell us clearly how we are to deal with Satan in James 4:7 "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."

Could you give us the definition of “resist” from the scripture you quoted?

JLB

Could you give us the definition of “resist” from the scripture you quoted?

JLB
In Stongs: "To stand against I.e. oppose"

James 4: 7 "Therefore submit to God." This itself defines what resisting is in this context.
1Peter5:8 "Be sober, be vigilant;because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. RESIST him, STEADFAST IN THE FAITH, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world." (Caps are used as emphasis, not yelling).

Ephesians 6:10,11 "Finally my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 therefore take up the whole armor of God----"
What that armour is is then given. If you were to total up all armour pieces, so to speak, they would equal salvation.

1Corinthians 10:4,5 "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty IN God for pulling down strongholds, casting down ARGUMENTS and EVERY HIGH THING THAT EXHALTS ITSELF AGAINST THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD, bringing every THOUGHT into captivity to the obedience of Christ "
So the next question would be, regarding the James 4 passage, what does SUBMIT TO GOD mean?
That would be a willing act of accepting the authority of God. It means to obey.
James 1:14,15 "But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by HIS OWN DESIRE. Then desire, when it is conceived, gives birth to sin, and when it is fully grown brings forth death."

James 4: 7 "Therefore submit to God." This itself defines what resisting is in this context.

Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7

The whole verse gives us the whole picture.

Submitting ourselves to God is the first step, so that we are operating in His will, and authority, then we are ready to resist the devil, oppose the devil, stand against the devil to forbid him to, operate in our domain.

Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints. Ephesians 6:11-18

JLB

1Peter5:8 "Be sober, be vigilant;because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. RESIST him, STEADFAST IN THE FAITH, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world." (Caps are used as emphasis, not yelling).

Ephesians 6:10,11 "Finally my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 therefore take up the whole armor of God----"
What that armour is is then given. If you were to total up all armour pieces, so to speak, they would equal salvation.

1Corinthians 10:4,5 "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty IN God for pulling down strongholds, casting down ARGUMENTS and EVERY HIGH THING THAT EXHALTS ITSELF AGAINST THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD, bringing every THOUGHT into captivity to the obedience of Christ "
So the next question would be, regarding the James 4 passage, what does SUBMIT TO GOD mean?
That would be a willing act of accepting the authority of God. It means to obey.
James 1:14,15 "But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by HIS OWN DESIRE. Then desire, when it is conceived, gives birth to sin, and when it is fully grown brings forth death."

So we agree that there is activity that we are to do against the devil, which involves submitting to God and obeying Hm?

JLB

So we agree that there is activity that we are to do against the devil, which involves submitting to God and obeying Hm?

JLB
Yes but submitting to God IS obeying Him. Are you saying that it is two steps, two things we have to do? I'm not clear on what you mean. If two things, submitting AND obeying what is meant, to you, by obeying
To me they are the same thing, but putting them in the context of all the scriptures I quotedn, it refers to whatever the temptation is, instead of giving into what our mind or desires are telling us, we submit to what God has said about it in His Word. We know what this instruction is because we have the Holy Spirit and His Word, which also means we have Salvation and all the armour of God.
BTW in my view the OF in this situation, is used in the gramatical sense FROM.

Yes but submitting to God IS obeying Him. Are you saying that it is two steps, two things we have to do? I'm not clear on what you mean. If two things, submitting AND obeying what is meant, to you, by obeying
To me they are the same thing, but putting them in the context of all the scriptures I quotedn, it refers to whatever the temptation is, instead of giving into what our mind or desires are telling us, we submit to what God has said about it in His Word. We know what this instruction is because we have the Holy Spirit and His Word, which also means we have Salvation and all the armour of God.
BTW in my view the OF in this situation, is used in the gramatical sense FROM.

What I’m saying is submitting ourselves to God is the first step in doing what we need to do, to stand against the devil, in whatever situation we are faced with.

JLB

Back