Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Birth Control Options

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Briseis

I wasnt sure if I should post this here or in the Ladies Group (which I used to frequent until the site was redesigned and it was made private and I havent rejoined yet) but I decided to do it here because many in the Ladies Group are probably unmarried. Although the men here might not want to read my details, that is fine. :tongue But if you happen to be knowledgeable in this area, your help would be appreciated.

I have been taking the pill for the past 2 years since I was married, and I have been having some pretty strong side effects. I couldnt figure out what it was till recently. I was always tired. I could sleep 8-10 hours and still be tired in the morning. Take several naps a day when not working. Drag my feet all day. I collapsed twice. Had blood work done, nothing in the results. But I missed a day of my pill this week, so I had to take 2 the following morning and I nearly crashed! Physically and emotionally. I was crying and crying for no apparent reason and I was more tired than I have ever felt. So, I have come to the conclusion that it is a side effect of my pill. I plan to make an appointment with my doctor to see if this is a possible side effect, but it fits. So, in prep for my talk with my doctor I am researching alternatives. I could just take a different brand but I want to avoid having miserable side effects again if possible.

So what are the best options? I am not familiar with them all. I know a few. Condoms dont appeal to either of us. A diaphragm does not sound like fun. I tried using a diva cup once. What a disaster. And I dont think the calendar method would work for me because I have a natural 6 week cycle when I'm not on the pill. And frankly, abstaining for 2 weeks doesnt appeal to me. So, any advice? Any other methods that might work?

I wasnt sure if I should post this here or in the Ladies Group (which I used to frequent until the site was redesigned and it was made private and I havent rejoined yet) but I decided to do it here because many in the Ladies Group are probably unmarried. Although the men here might not want to read my details, that is fine. :tongue But if you happen to be knowledgeable in this area, your help would be appreciated.

I have been taking the pill for the past 2 years since I was married, and I have been having some pretty strong side effects. I couldnt figure out what it was till recently. I was always tired. I could sleep 8-10 hours and still be tired in the morning. Take several naps a day when not working. Drag my feet all day. I collapsed twice. Had blood work done, nothing in the results. But I missed a day of my pill this week, so I had to take 2 the following morning and I nearly crashed! Physically and emotionally. I was crying and crying for no apparent reason and I was more tired than I have ever felt. So, I have come to the conclusion that it is a side effect of my pill. I plan to make an appointment with my doctor to see if this is a possible side effect, but it fits. So, in prep for my talk with my doctor I am researching alternatives. I could just take a different brand but I want to avoid having miserable side effects again if possible.

So what are the best options? I am not familiar with them all. I know a few. Condoms dont appeal to either of us. A diaphragm does not sound like fun. I tried using a diva cup once. What a disaster. And I dont think the calendar method would work for me because I have a natural 6 week cycle when I'm not on the pill. And frankly, abstaining for 2 weeks doesnt appeal to me. So, any advice? Any other methods that might work?

The Diva Cup is meant to be used during your period. Not as birth control.

My DH and I are in the same situation. We just use condoms. Have you researched IUDs? I've read there is a non-hormonal one.

I'm totally in agreement with you about hormonal BC. I was on the NuvaRing for about a year and it didn't make me feel very good.

My DH and I are in the same situation. We just use condoms. Have you researched IUDs? I've read there is a non-hormonal one.

I'm totally in agreement with you about hormonal BC. I was on the NuvaRing for about a year and it didn't make me feel very good.

In very general terms, an arrangement to leave the use initiative to the husband can save the wife chemical/hormone issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

I know the Diva Cup is meant to be used during your period. Not as birth control. I just meant that I had a lot of trouble getting it in and out. I dont know a lot about IUDs (had to look it up on Wikipedia). I dont think I like the sounds of it.

I know the Diva Cup is meant to be used during your period. Not as birth control. I just meant that I had a lot of trouble getting it in and out. I dont know a lot about IUDs (had to look it up on Wikipedia). I dont think I like the sounds of it.

Ah yeah, I bet the cup is hard to get in and out.
I don't like the IUD. I wouldn't ever want to get something like that, but it is one of the choices. That's why we use condoms. It's easy and it works. :)

Ah yeah, I bet the cup is hard to get in and out.
I don't like the IUD. I wouldn't ever want to get something like that, but it is one of the choices. That's why we use condoms. It's easy and it works. :)

Yeah, definitely easy. Might be our best option.

I've been on 4 different versions of hormonal bc. Ortho Evra made me extremely sick, Yazmin and Yaz gave me blood clots, and then there was Sronyx, which made me very short of breath but I think that may have been because I was so afraid of the side effects. They're the most convenient, but I don't like hormonal birth control because they just seem to have such serious adverse effects. Have you ever heard of CVF? It's an over the counter film that you insert and it's good for about two hours. There are no side effects because it's not hormonal or anything and it dissolves on it's own after a couple of hours.

OK.. admittedly, I don't have a horse in this race, but...

My long held philosophy about bc and what I teach my daughter is that if the bc is fundamentally changing the way God intended your body to work... that's a bad thing.

Just keep in mind that a normal, healthy working, woman's body is meant to have babies. Doing some natural things or putting up some barriers to make conception unlikely... OK... Changing the way your body actually functions? Not so much!!!

I've been on 4 different versions of hormonal bc. Ortho Evra made me extremely sick, Yazmin and Yaz gave me blood clots, and then there was Sronyx, which made me very short of breath but I think that may have been because I was so afraid of the side effects. They're the most convenient, but I don't like hormonal birth control because they just seem to have such serious adverse effects. Have you ever heard of CVF? It's an over the counter film that you insert and it's good for about two hours. There are no side effects because it's not hormonal or anything and it dissolves on it's own after a couple of hours.

What does CVF stand for? I tried to google it and I got Canadian Volkssport Federation. Haha, clearly not it.

My long held philosophy about bc and what I teach my daughter is that if the bc is fundamentally changing the way God intended your body to work... that's a bad thing.

Just keep in mind that a normal, healthy working, woman's body is meant to have babies. Doing some natural things or putting up some barriers to make conception unlikely... OK... Changing the way your body actually functions? Not so much!!!

That sounds like good advice Handy. I wish I had been taught more about how it worked, because I had no idea what it was doing to me while taking it.

Yes, well, without saying too much, as One Truth says, involving the husband in the means used is one way.

I took the pill for many years and just suffered through the side effects (nausea was the one that hit me like a ton of bricks). After having my 2nd daughter, I tried the Depo Provera shot. A lot of people swear by it, but it made me a VERY mean and depressed person. It's great if it works for you because you take it every 3 months and you usually don't have a period when on it. When we knew we didn't want anymore kids, my hubby had a vasectomy so I could get off everything.

Other than those 2 options, condoms or the iud, I don't know what to tell you. My aunt and uncle used the pull out method for over 20 years....then when she was in her upper 40's, it failed them! lol Talk about a shock! They love that boy with all their hearts and souls though (he's now 22).

If they aren't ready for kids, then they have NO BUSINESS getting pregnant. Are you against condoms too? Just curious.

Yes, well, without saying too much, as One Truth says, involving the husband in the means used is one way.

Yes, I have talked to my husband about this, but he knows even less than I do about birth control. I will tell him our options once I know what they are.

I took the pill for many years and just suffered through the side effects (nausea was the one that hit me like a ton of bricks). After having my 2nd daughter, I tried the Depo Provera shot. A lot of people swear by it, but it made me a VERY mean and depressed person. It's great if it works for you because you take it every 3 months and you usually don't have a period when on it. When we knew we didn't want anymore kids, my hubby had a vasectomy so I could get off everything.

Other than those 2 options, condoms or the iud, I don't know what to tell you. My aunt and uncle used the pull out method for over 20 years....then when she was in her upper 40's, it failed them! lol Talk about a shock! They love that boy with all their hearts and souls though (he's now 22).

I want to avoid hormonal birth control from now on.

If they aren't ready for kids, then they have NO BUSINESS getting pregnant. Are you against condoms too? Just curious.

No, not ready for kids yet. Honestly, I have never used a condom before. Been on the pill since we got married. Something about it doesnt sound quite as fun but condoms sounds like the easiest options right now.

Condoms are fairly easy to use. Granted they aren't the funnest, but they work if you use them right. I've heard a lot on this subject from other married women and for non-hormonal birth control condoms seem to be the choice. It's worth it if you don't want to get pregnant IMO. There really isn't an easy answer when it comes to birth control.

I agree and nope, not at all....

And, if a woman has a regular cycle (which not all do, but many if not most do) then condoms aren't even necessary every time so that can cut down of the fact that many men don't enjoy it as much when condoms are used. But, before we know how very unnecessary any kind of bc was for us, we used them during the time of the month that it was necessary for prevention and really, it was not that big of deal. Using a spermicide with them makes condoms very effective and a far, far more healthy alternative than messing around with a body's natural function.

And, if a woman has a regular cycle (which not all do, but many if not most do) then condoms aren't even necessary every time so that can cut down of the fact that many men don't enjoy it as much when condoms are used. But, before we know how very unnecessary any kind of bc was for us, we used them during the time of the month that it was necessary for prevention and really, it was not that big of deal. Using a spermicide with them makes condoms very effective and a far, far more healthy alternative than messing around with a body's natural function.

Thats what I was thinking. Using a condom when we had to. Although I have a 6 week cycle so I am not sure how that would work. I looked it up and its all very confusing. Would it be safe to assume that the first and last week were infertile? That would leave a whole month as fertile instead of 12 days. :shrug

Thats what I was thinking. Using a condom when we had to. Although I have a 6 week cycle so I am not sure how that would work. I looked it up and its all very confusing. Would it be safe to assume that the first and last week were infertile? That would leave a whole month as fertile instead of 12 days. :shrug

Since your cycle isn't in the norm, I would definitely urge professional medical advice. A whole month fertile? That sounds really unlikely....

I agree and nope, not at all....

I was gonna say!!! I mean, to each their own, but I'm still going to voice my opinion because that's just how I am. LOL! I was actually going to say "Have you lost your mind?!". J/K

Since your cycle isn't in the norm, I would definitely urge professional medical advice. A whole month fertile? That sounds really unlikely....

It would probably be less, but if I were playing it safe I would go with 2 weeks infertile as with a 28 day cycle. I was hoping to avoid the doctor. But if I get desperate of course I will go in the end.

It would probably be less, but if I were playing it safe I would go with 2 weeks infertile as with a 28 day cycle. I was hoping to avoid the doctor. But if I get desperate of course I will go in the end.

I wonder about a holistic dr.....one that won't try to push man-made hormonal pills and stuff like that. Maybe a holistic dr could help you better understand how you figure out your cycle. We have a new one here in town and people are loving her.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back