Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bugs - God's creatures

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
help him or her

It was probably a female bee. Male bees don't travel around collecting pollen and their primary purpose is to inseminate their queen (they die in the process of having sex. That's how I would want to go, too. :lol)

Everytime I see a bug in my place, I usually get a plastic cup and take it outside. It's a good feeling. Unfortunetly, I don't get um all. ;) :gah

Some insects are a tormenting menace,they spread disease and can make time outside a miserable nightmare...I would kill them all if I could.

Mosquitos, gnats, etc...oh yeah, they are super annoying. Now that it's almost summertime, they bombard me pretty much any time I go outside. Even just to let my dog out.
At the same time, they do provide food for animals like lizards.

i will kill a snake if its a poisonous one. why? some are aggressive and will attack without provocation.ie the copperhead and water moccasin and asp. these attack going forward and are the water mocassin holds territory

Ah, come on Jason. What did the copperhead do? They tend to run away if provoked like any snake. Remember, to them you're as big as the Jolly Green Giant. :lol And like the others, they kill mice.

In our cabin days if we found a poisonous snake on our land, we'd catch it and put it in a pillowcase. They are absolutely helpless in them. Then transport them to a safer place. Non-poisonous snakes could stay.

I saw either a coral or king snake on my porch once, when I was supposed to be sweeping it. I hurried inside and stayed there until he slithered away.

Genesis 1:24 And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds—livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so.

I saw either a coral or king snake on my porch once, when I was supposed to be sweeping it. I hurried inside and stayed there until he slithered away.

questdriven:

Wow, do you guys have a lot of snakes down there in Ga.?

Blessings.

Rattle snakes, cottonmouths, corn snakes, king snakes, coral snakes, hognose, garter snakes, etc. Most of the ones I've actually seen in person were at the state park nature center, though, where they are kept in glass enclosures. They used to be really small, and they'd take them out and let you hold them.

I've run across wild snakes only once in a while. Corn snakes, a couple garter snakes in unmowed grass. Once my grandmother found some hognose eggs and we witnessed one of them hatching!

questdriven:

Blessings.

Rattle snakes, cottonmouths, corn snakes, king snakes, coral snakes, hognose, garter snakes, etc. Most of the ones I've actually seen in person were at the state park nature center, though, where they are kept in glass enclosures. They used to be really small, and they'd take them out and let you hold them.

I've run across wild snakes only once in a while. Corn snakes, a couple garter snakes in unmowed grass. Once my grandmother found some hognose eggs and we witnessed one of them hatching!
[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

You seem to know a lot about them, anyway! I've been past a snake and reptile center at the South of the Border complex in South Carolina; sounds like the sort of place that would interest you a lot, anyhow.

Blessings.

i will kill a snake if its a poisonous one. why? some are aggressive and will attack without provocation.ie the copperhead and water moccasin and asp. these attack going forward and are the water mocassin holds territory

Ah, come on Jason. What did the copperhead do? They tend to run away if provoked like any snake. Remember, to them you're as big as the Jolly Green Giant. :lol And like the others, they kill mice.

In our cabin days if we found a poisonous snake on our land, we'd catch it and put it in a pillowcase. They are absolutely helpless in them. Then transport them to a safer place. Non-poisonous snakes could stay.

no copper head attack, they don't wait for you to come to them, they will go on the attack once you are in their range.

questdriven:

Blessings.

We don't have the cottonmouths up here in these parts, but we have the timber rattlers and copperheads. Even as a young boy my dad and I put on our "snake boots" and walk over rocky areas where copperheads were all over the place walking right over them! One time we counted over a dozen of them in one spot! We'd jokingly call it the "snake pit", but all snakes are generally harmless unless you step on them, but I'd bite if a giant stepped on me, too!

Hognose were comical. I liked the way they'd "play dead" and then release that stinky gland of theirs. An unlearned person, though, could mistake that for a rattlesnake just as milk snakes (similar in appearance to some corn snakes) could be mistaken for copperheads.

Also, non-poisonous snakes can rattle and sound like a rattle snake. That's their nervous system going like that, but rattle snakes have that rattle on the end from the skins, so you just hear it better.

black on yellow will kill a fellow

Yeah, just stay away. It's all about the RED and what it touches.

"Red on yellow, kill a fellow; Red on black, friend of Jack" (or "friendly jack"); ...

Coral_snake_zpsf57d0c18.jpg

Coral Snake ^ (red touches yellow! = OUCH)

Red_milk_snake_zps0c0eba69.jpg

Milk Snake ^ (Red touches Black)

KingSnakeLampropeltis_elapsoides_zps58a27130.jpg

King Snake ^ (Red touches Black)

Given my understanding is true, both the King and the Milk snakes are in the family "Lampropeltis Elapsoides" and are non-poisonous.

Images courtesy of Wiki

Mnemonic said:
"If red touches black, you're OK Jack (alternatively: venom lack); if red touches yellow, you're a dead fellow." However, a far more easily remembered mnemonic is: "Red and black, friend of Jack; Red and yellow, kill a fellow."

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just took a Scorpion in pieces out of the house that was just sitting by my daughters arm in the living room. If they are God's creatures, then God can have a few back on my list.

Mike.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back