Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can someone HONESTLY sing, "He's all I need"?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Orion

The phrase, "God is all I need" is a very common one that is used in the Christian church, . . . but how true is it, . . . and can it really even be followed?

I am not really sure it CAN be adhered to, firstly. How many sing or say the phrase, yet must keep up with many other things in thier life, and if they don't they will end up in trouble? How many would say to their spouse, you aren't needed in my life?

Secondly, is the phrase even true? If one takes the story of Adam in the Garden of Eden, what the story offers is that Adam literally walked with God, . . . not in a "faith" way, like we can only do today. YET, God realized that, for Adam (and humanity, in general), He WASN'T all Adam needed. God even stated it so, "It is not good for man to be alone", . . . in other words, Adam was deficient in some area that God could not fill, . . . and rightly so.

I do not sing or state such a phrase with complete honesty. I realize that God BRINGS good things to us, so He PROVIDES what we NEED. So wouldn't a better phrase be, "God GIVES all I need"? That includes salvation, which was given to us.

Orion said:
The phrase, "God is all I need" is a very common one that is used in the Christian church, . . . but how true is it, . . . and can it really even be followed?

I am not really sure it CAN be adhered to, firstly. How many sing or say the phrase, yet must keep up with many other things in thier life, and if they don't they will end up in trouble? How many would say to their spouse, you aren't needed in my life?

Secondly, is the phrase even true? If one takes the story of Adam in the Garden of Eden, what the story offers is that Adam literally walked with God, . . . not in a "faith" way, like we can only do today. YET, God realized that, for Adam (and humanity, in general), He WASN'T all Adam needed. God even stated it so, "It is not good for man to be alone", . . . in other words, Adam was deficient in some area that God could not fill, . . . and rightly so.

I do not sing or state such a phrase with complete honesty. I realize that God BRINGS good things to us, so He PROVIDES what we NEED. So wouldn't a better phrase be, "God GIVES all I need"? That includes salvation, which was given to us.
I do that too. It is biblical and wise to think about what you are singing and what is being taught to you.

As for the last paragraph, your corrected statement and the original one are both correct. God does give you salvation...eternal life, and He is also all you need, b/c He is eternal life..."And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life (1 Jn.5:20)." Good lookin out! Always keep thinking and examining it all (2 Cor.13:5)!

I keep thinking that the "Jesus is ALL I need" statement isn't as literal as I am making it out to be, but it is really pushed in churches, and also towards those who are experiencing difficult life issues. If you find yourself on the other end of divorce, it is common to tell someone that they need to focus on God because "he is all you need". It SOUNDS good, and there is a measure of truth in it, but as I suggested in the first post, . . . . people should state it as "he will provide for all your needs". "Being" and "providing" are different and the latter seems to be more correct. God/Jesus cannot take the place of an earthly spouse, and as the second chapter of Genesis clearly responds to this topic, . . . God never meant TO be a replacement. God can send comfort, but will not be "a spouse". That is why he made other humans. God works THROUGH those He brings into our lives. That's the way this all works.

Same can be said about those churches who have "food pantries". God isn't providing the food Himself, but USES people to provide for the needs of those who are in trouble.

I just would hope that people wouldn't just "attach their thoughts to a christian phrase", but actually analyze what it actuallly means, and if it stands up to that scrutiny.

Being so ocd that I repeat the last conversation I just had until a new one takes place, I definitely am in agreement w/ you. I hear so many "Christian" phrases in life or on the radio that sound good, but often lack any biblical foundation or truth at all...merely human philosophies in the name of Christianity. No guarantees in human philosophies. If you want me to box up a bag of pooh and stamp a guarantee on it I will, but we both know a guarantee is only as good as the one who gives it...I'll take ALL my truth from the Word.

Orion said:

Do you think you can eat, drink, love, or even breathe unless it is given by God? If you have God, then all of your needs will be provided, for HE IS everything you need. He is our healer, deliverer, savior, provider, sanctifier, father, etc..

dentonz said:
Do you think you can eat, drink, love, or even breathe unless it is given by God? If you have God, then all of your needs will be provided, for HE IS everything you need. He is our healer, deliverer, savior, provider, sanctifier, father, etc..

These aren't things that are done directly. God may have set up the dynamics behind it all, but the way people live (eat, drink, love, breath) is a function of biology. God doesn't directly give these things to us. WE are a product of what was initially set up BY God.

The phrase "he is all that I need" still doesn't work. Not in a REAL way that is undeniable.

Furthermore, there are people who are VERY reprobate. . . God haters. . . .sinners, . . . who have much in their lives, including food, drink, love, breath, money, relationships, . . . and live a very happy life.

Lastly, God ISN'T. . . CAN'T be . . . and never PROMISED to be, anyone's spouse. People do NEED companionship, and the lasting loving companionship of a quality spouse is something that God cannot and will not personally do for us. Why would He, when He set up the best method from the start?

Just because God initially set up things for life to take place doesn't mean God isn't all you need. God IS all you need. God haters are only denying the existance of the one who created them. The demons know there is a God and tremble at what God can do to them.
Don't forget the fact that God gave in order that you might have life. Without the giving of God you would not be in existance. Without God, there is no freedom of will. Your freedome to think outside of the Holy Will of God only in existance because God did not create robots. He gave the freedom of will to all. If a person chooses to abuse himself or think contrary to His Holy order of things, well God even made "con"-"sequence" for all things.

Do yourself a favor, for every breath you take in the span of 10 minutes Give thanks to God for each one. Then you will see that God IS all you need.

Perhaps a study on total surrender would give you a better perspective on the fact that "God IS all you need". Perhaps a study on giving total thanksgiving to God ... for the provision of every single thing in your life. Yes, even for the ability to breathe, to walk, to talk, to think, to do anything that even the slitghtest bit gives you thought to a motivation to do anything in any second of your life. Perhaps giving thanks to God for the moment you have opened your eyes in the moring, for Him to have given you provision for another day, another chance to live. To give him thanks for LIFE. Without God giving you provision to do, to be, you would be no thing at all. Yes, God IS all you need. Thank Him for every thing, then you would not even think that saying "God is all you need" is such a trivial phrase to think or speak.
Literally, God IS all you need. He IS the Alpha and the Omega. He doesn't just set up the initials things in life, of course we have choices, But God does have a plan for those that are His and IF a person chooses to not follow after His heart and insist on thinking from the purely animalistic sense and from their own carnal ignorant selfish ways, then they will not see or benefit from His Holy Plan and Purpose for their life. Have you read any of the Psalms? Just because God gave us "feelings" doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan for us to have means to overcome the things of this world. Don't forget, Satan is the "spirit" Adam and Eve gave their thoughts over to rather than listening to the advice from their creator God Holy Spirit. God even Gave Lucifer the freedom to think as he wanted and look where it got him! Outside of God's heavenly realm! A person can think from outside of Godly thoughts all they want and come up with thinking that "God isn't all you need" , if they want.... but what good will that serve them? Those that are children of God are still growing and in the process of purification by way of Holy Spirit's cleansing. We are in an imperfect world, we ask God Holy Spirit to redeem us...Christ sacrificed for our sake. Oh Yes, "God IS all we need"!
Believing God's Word over the carnal minded is a matter of choice. Faith is required. God gave freedom of choice. Have you read the last chapter of the Book of Revelation?
Oh believe it! God IS all you need.

Now pay attention to every single breath you take for the next 15 minutes and say, "Yes, God IS all you need!"

Orion said:
dentonz said:

These aren't things that are done directly. God may have set up the dynamics behind it all, but the way people live (eat, drink, love, breath) is a function of biology. God doesn't directly give these things to us. WE are a product of what was initially set up BY God.

The phrase "he is all that I need" still doesn't work. Not in a REAL way that is undeniable.

Furthermore, there are people who are VERY reprobate. . . God haters. . . .sinners, . . . who have much in their lives, including food, drink, love, breath, money, relationships, . . . and live a very happy life.

Lastly, God ISN'T. . . CAN'T be . . . and never PROMISED to be, anyone's spouse. People do NEED companionship, and the lasting loving companionship of a quality spouse is something that God cannot and will not personally do for us. Why would He, when He set up the best method from the start?

God sends the rain on the just and unjust alike. This doesn't change the fact that every breathe we take is a gift from God. I say again, He is all we need, definately. He provides us with all of our provisions on this earth, and yes he will provide us with a spouse. It is when we try to do things on our own, that it gets messed up.

Even if he were to stop providing for us, he is still all we need. Those who have faith in Jesus would just shed off this tent of flesh and be ushered into his presence, which is the greatest gift we could ever possibly imagine. He provides for us in this life so that we can show his love to others, so as many as will, can be ushered into his presence with us.

Just the idea that he is not all we need leads to a rebellion of who he is. His name to Moses was just that; I AM. Therefore, HE IS.

God didn't order my life. :gah My life is a product of my parents getting together almost 41 years ago *shudder at the thought*. :verysick

If God ordered MY life, . . . then He would have also ordered the life of Hitler, Stalin, any of the mass murderers, thus would have a huge responsibility for what they did, knowing the future. We are a product of biology only. I can thank God for my life, but He didn't CAUSE "ME" to happen, . . . but can use us.

Again, God GIVES us all we need. God can't BE "all we need". We need literal food/drink. God isn't literal food/drink. He give these things to us. We need oxygen to breath. God isn't oxygen, but set up this earth so that it produces it for us, allowing us to breath. I can be thankful that it was set up that way, but it had to be that way for life to exist here.

My thread isn't one of "me wanting to rebel". I post it because I am trying to get the point across that too many times we cling to a phrase before really knowing what it means, in the real world. We can thank God for many things, . . . because he BRINGS us good things, and that is worth our thanks. He MAY bring a quality spouse my way, and should that happen, . . . I will thank God WHOLEHEARTEDLY!!

I like the verse Philippians 4:19

"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus"

Orion said:
God didn't order my life. :gah My life is a product of my parents getting together almost 41 years ago *shudder at the thought*. :verysick

If God ordered MY life, . . . then He would have also ordered the life of Hitler, Stalin, any of the mass murderers, thus would have a huge responsibility for what they did, knowing the future. We are a product of biology only. I can thank God for my life, but He didn't CAUSE "ME" to happen, . . . but can use us.

Again, God GIVES us all we need. God can't BE "all we need". We need literal food/drink. God isn't literal food/drink. He give these things to us. We need oxygen to breath. God isn't oxygen, but set up this earth so that it produces it for us, allowing us to breath. I can be thankful that it was set up that way, but it had to be that way for life to exist here.

My thread isn't one of "me wanting to rebel". I post it because I am trying to get the point across that too many times we cling to a phrase before really knowing what it means, in the real world. We can thank God for many things, . . . because he BRINGS us good things, and that is worth our thanks. He MAY bring a quality spouse my way, and should that happen, . . . I will thank God WHOLEHEARTEDLY!!

And likewise, I'm trying to get the point across that too many times people try to discredit legitimate theological phrases before knowing what they mean. I never said you wanted to rebel. I said that the mere fact of saying that God isn't all we need IS rebellion against who God is. We do not give thanks to God because of what he does for us. Who are we to think God needs to do something to deserve our praise. God is who he is regardless of who we are, where we are, whether we give him thanks or not.
Nothing good or evil can happen unless God allows it regardless of our attempt to understand his plan. And I shudder at the fact that you even alluded to the thought that If God is sovreign, he shows resposibilty for evil actions of men.

Tell me who in Heaven or in earth can stand before him to accuse.

Did God order the life and actions of those who do cruel things? Of course not. What I am saying is that, biology creates people through the act of procreation. God set UP the biology, but where it goes is our own doing. So no, God DIDN'T order their steps, . . .neither did God "give me life" in a literal sense, . . . God didn't cause that ONE sperm to fertilize an egg. God set up the processes of life, and it takes it from there. Now when you are talking about things in life, such as our needs, God often will step in and supply them. We should thank God each day regardless.

But God never said that he would be "all we need". Again, God recognized a need in Adam that God was unable to supply. Ergo, . . . "something else Adam needed, apart from God".

Orion said:
Did God order the life and actions of those who do cruel things? Of course not. What I am saying is that, biology creates people through the act of procreation. God set UP the biology, but where it goes is our own doing. So no, God DIDN'T order their steps, . . .neither did God "give me life" in a literal sense, . . . God didn't cause that ONE sperm to fertilize an egg. God set up the processes of life, and it takes it from there. Now when you are talking about things in life, such as our needs, God often will step in and supply them. We should thank God each day regardless.

But God never said that he would be "all we need". Again, God recognized a need in Adam that God was unable to supply. Ergo, . . . "something else Adam needed, apart from God".

You said "God recognized a need in Adam that God was unable to supply". :confused Who created Eve? Who supplied Adam with clothing even after he sinned and was cursed to leave the garden? Who provided the ram for Abraham's sacrifice? Who provided the Children of Israel with food for forty years in the desert? Who sent the ravens to feed Elijah? Who tore down the walls of Jericho? And on and on we see that God has given us explanations time and time again that he truly is the source of our provision.
It's not that both of us don't need the same things, it's just we have a different understanding of how we get them. I believe the "steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD" (Ps 37:23) and " I know the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps"(Jer 10:23).
I believe the only guarantee that anyone will be supplied with all of their needs is through the knowledge of Christ, there is no guarantee of provision outside of the will of God. And yes, I do believe that God gives life individually to each and every person on the face of this earth. Whether biologically or not, It is in his hand to extend or shorten each breath according to his perfect plan.
Therefore, I do say with all honesty that God is all I need.

In Christ,
Denton

I think we are seeing things similar, but are messed up by vocabulary. Yes, God PROVIDED Adam with Eve, . . .but what I'm saying is that God could not BE Eve, for Adam. God provides, but we [humans] NEED things in our lives that aren't necessarily "God", but are provided BY God.

I hope I am making my thoughts more clear.

Orion said:
I think we are seeing things similar, but are messed up by vocabulary. Yes, God PROVIDED Adam with Eve, . . .but what I'm saying is that God could not BE Eve, for Adam. God provides, but we [humans] NEED things in our lives that aren't necessarily "God", but are provided BY God.

I hope I am making my thoughts more clear.

Yes, Peace Bro. I believe we've beat each other up enough.

In Christ,
Denton

Very good, sir! And I will say that I will trust that God will bring into my life that which I need, and I will be most grateful. :yes

Orion,

I believe what you strive to point out is how FEW truly BELIEVE or FOLLOW such lyrics. How can we when the concept is utterly foreign in todays society. While such lyrics certainly have their ability to 'pull our heart strings', rarely, if EVER are we of the MIND or HEART to follow such 'feelings'.

Governments and those that control and maintain world finance have insured that we are DEPENDANT upon MONEY. The medical community has made us dependant upon them. Utility companies have made us dependant upon electricity and clean water. Anyone that THINKS that they can live without these in this country is basically, in todays society here in America, FOOLING themselves.

While it IS possible to live a life where God IS all one NEEDS, rarely, if EVER do we actually SEE this today. Rarely if EVER is it even POSSIBLE to separate ourselves in such a manner to even TRY to make this possible. How many of us could LIVE without our computers and cell phones? How about your car?

And oftentimes I have questioned the validity of such statements that we are RARELY if EVER able to achieve. WWJD, what a statement of pure and utter vanity. I doubt that there are FIVE people on the planet that could answer such a question over the most BASIC of issues.

Orion, ever thought about this: songs, merchandise, pastors, and such, how do we KNOW when these things are actually designed with the GLORY of God in mind, or the glory the individual that 'creates them'. Money, fame, power, prestige, these THINGS are MORE important in the 'world' that we live in than God or His Son. So, how do we know when even those that SEEM of a 'religious nature' are actually created with the Glory of GOD in mind and heart?

Example: What do we call those that perform for us in the spotlight?

We are so caught up in 'the world' that most people don't even recognize that which is actually contrary to the basic understanding of God. Don't even recognize the severity of the SIMPLICITY of that we take for granted.

We call them IDOLS. Why? Because we WORSHIP them.

I know. Sounds crazy huh? But in reality, that is EXACTLY why we call them IDOLS. What else would you consider people screaming until they are hoarse and paying outrageous amounts of money to stuff themselves into an auditorium, (temple), just to get a glipse of them?

Ever been to a 'rock n roll' concert? It seems that the MOST popular chant is 'hell yeah'. Imagine that: HELL YES. If we take it at it's most basic definition, that would have those CHANTING; YES TO HELL. The implication is; NO to HEAVEN.

I know this is a bit off topic but it runs into the same principle. We are SO dependant upon the 'world' that we live in that it is often difficult to even distinguish the TRUTH anymore.

And we should certainly beware of the OATHS that we MAKE between ourselves and God. Words are POWERFUL tools that can be used to build or DESTROY. Sometimes I wonder if those that sing along to such songs and offer prayer even realize that what we STATE ARE oaths. We have become such sufficient liars to ourselves and others that rarely are we even able to recognize many of them.

Ah, I digress. Suffice is to say that I agree with your basic principle in that we have been LED AWAY from being DEPENDANT upon GOD. The Jews were once Lorded over BY God. He WAS their KING. That was NOT ENOUGH for them. They BEGGED to have a 'fleshly King' like other nations. God GAVE them that but warned them that they would have to PAY THE COSTS of such a request. And we can see through a study of the OT and their history that RARELY did they have a King that looked out for ANYTHING but their OWN best interests at the COST of the 'people'.

Such is the price that we are paying by BEING dependant upon these 'things of the world'.

Is God ALL we NEED? Absolutely. But HOW do we actually LIVE by such FAITH in a 'world' with so much 'ease' at our disposal? A question who's answer, once revealed to all, will probably NOT be what most are expecting.

Blessings,

MEC

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back