Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can There Be Apostles & Prophets Today ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

I have a friend who calls herself a apostle, and I have heard and seen many people call themselves prophets. Now I have always had a problem with them 2 terms, for people today. So tell me people what do you think about people calling themselves apostles & prophets today. So do these people have the RIGHT to call themselves Prophets & Apostles, in today's time ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am not trying to be a smart guy, because you are ok with me, but no. 1 this question is for Christians, because it pertains to the Bible. And no. 2 it is a question, that I want to hear addressed by Christians only. Not putting you down or anything.

I found this article, who agrees with it.

In the first century, there were apostles and prophets. The term apostle is applied to those disciples whom Jesus personally selected as a body of 12 appointed representatives. The names of the original 12 selected are given at Matthew 10:2-4; Mark 3:16-19, and Luke 6:13-16. One of the original 12, Judas Iscariot, proved to be a traitor, thereby fulfilling earlier prophecies. (Ps 41:9; 109:8) The remaining 11 faithful apostles are again listed at Acts 1:13. According to Peter at Acts 15:15-22, in discussing who should take the place of Judas as apostle, that such a man be one of those that had personally witnessed the miracles of Jesus, his resurection, and especially his ascention to heaven. So an apostle would have to have been alive while Jesus was alive on Earth. That is why the Bible only refers to those handpicked disciples of Jesus as "apostles," the last of which was John, who died around the year 100 C.E. That would rule out any today from being an "apostle." A person can be a disciple, but not an apostle.
As far as prophesying is concerned. Many claim to be prophets. Jesus said there would be false prophets and even false healers in the "last days." (Matthew 7:21-23) So we have to know what the truth from God's word is regarding such prophets so as not to be duped by those who claim to be prophets, yet are not approved by God.
The Bible says that gifts of prophesying and healing would be done away with at some point in time, specifically,"when that which is complete(perfect-KJ) arrives."(1 Corintians 13:8-10) Some have interpreted "that which is perfect" to mean Jesus second coming. In other words, that prophesying would continue until Jesus arrives. But verse 8 indicates that Paul was not talking about Jesus second coming, rather he was discussing spiritual knowledge. So what is "perfect" or "complete" is the knowledge of God, Jesus, and God's Kingdom, and the firm establishment of the Christian congregation. In the first century, prophets and healings were neccessary to prove that God's spirit was operating on this small body of believers. But today, complete knowledge is present, the Christian congregation is firmly established, and yes, we have the entire Bible. Prophets, in the sense of those who are mentioned in, and wrote the Bible, are not present, because of the completeness of the spiritual provisions we have today. Jesus himself said that true Christians would be marked, not by prophets, not by healings, but by love. He said "By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves� at John 13:35.
However, there is a form of prophesying that does take place today. But it is merely repeating what Jesus prophesied about centuries ago. It is worldwide preaching work about God's Kingdom, that Jesus told his followers to carry out. (Matthew 24:14 ; Matthew 28:19,20) Those who carry out this work do not claim to be prophets, but they simply show people from the Bible what it has to say about God's Kingdom and what it will do to bring blessings to those who are favorable to that kingdom.
As far as interprtation of the scriptures is concerned, many allow preconcieved ideas to influence how they determine what a scripture means. As stated before, Jesus said that there would be false prophets. Certainly those same false prophets would be resposible for propagating false interpretations of the Bible. One thing is for sure. Since the Bible is God's word, any interprtation, to be correct, must be in agreement with God's thoughts. (Genesis 40:8) A person must make a close examination of the scriptures fully, with an open mind, and pray to God fohttp://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_you_still_need_prophets_and_apostles_today_since_God_gave_men_the_Bible_even_when_people_can%27t_agree_on_its_interpretationr guidance to understand the scriptures.

However, there is a form of prophesying that does take place today. But it is merely repeating what Jesus prophesied about centuries ago. It is worldwide preaching work about God's Kingdom, that Jesus told his followers to carry out.
Is that these you are referring to?

1 Corinthians 12
(28) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Is that these you are referring to?

1 Corinthians 12
(28) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
Yes, so does that pertain to people today.

I know of none who could be compared to the ones of the 1st century.
Signs, power, miracles accompanied them as evidence they had authority from God.
I don't see that today.

But, that doesn't mean there won't ever be again.
The two witnesses of Revelation come to mind.

My question is do people today have the right to call themselves Prophets & Apostles ?

If they are apostles or prophets, then they have a right to call themselves that. The real question is whether God still calls people to be apostles and prophets. I believe He does. The passage in I Cor. 13 that you mentioned is often used to support the idea that the spiritual gifts and callings have passed away, but it actually doesn't support that at all.

but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. (I Cor. 13:8 KJV)​

If the following verses meant that prophecies and tongues had been done away with, then what about knowledge? Has knowledge been done away with? Do we not need to know anything any more, since "that which is perfect" has come? That's obviously not what Paul was trying to say.

"That which is perfect" doesn't refer to the New Testament and it doesn't refer to Christ's second coming. It refers to the things Paul was talking about. Our knowledge is imperfect. When God reveals all truth to us, then our imperfect knowledge will pass away, not because knowledge itself passes away, but because it becomes perfect. The same applies to prophecies and other gifts. They won't pass away because the gifts stop working, but the imperfections will pass away when they become perfect.

As for apostles, you are forgetting the other 6 apostles mentioned in the New Testament. We can't be sure all of them were witnesses of the things Jesus did and said. We know for sure that one of them was not Christ's follower - Paul. he persecuted the Christians before his conversion. And then there's also this verse:

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ (Eph. 4:11-13 KJV)​

Is there full unity of the faith today? If not, then we still need apostles.

If you use Prophets or Apostles as proper nouns, I would say no. As then you are referring to someone whom God is telling what the future will hold, which has already been done and I have not heard of any new prophecy. Or someone who was verbally instructed by Jesus himself to spread His word.

If used as commons nouns then maybe, maybe, you could use the term prophet if you are teaching prophecy from the Bible. But probably not. An apostle is a messenger so maybe, maybe, you could use the term apostle if a person is spreading the word of God. But probably not since the meaning of the word over time has changed it from a common noun to a proper noun.

People probably use these terms as proper nouns to make themselves feel important or to try and impress others. Not exactly the humbleness that Jesus wants us to display.

An apostle is a title given to 12 men by Jesus Himself. They were given leadership and authority. Mattias was called into being one of the 12 apostles after the death of Judas by casting lots, but I consider him to be a disciple, not an apostle. Paul was actually meant to be Judas' replacement because He was called by Jesus to be so.

A prophet is a title given to people whom God called to send His messenges in the OT times. Apostles still sent a message but were also responsible for planting churches and appointing church leaders.

So if you want to look at it this way, by man's definition we can be called either if we are going away from our homes and preaching God's Word. But since we people are no longer called by God Himself into these titles, and since he says His Word is complete...

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book."

... nothing more is to be added and no new messages are being produced (since God's already got His message across), then He doesn't apoint these titles anymore. I would consider everyone after the 12 a disciple. We are all disciples.

Yes I don't believe these people to be Prophets or Apostles, because God's Word is done. He is not saying anything new, His Word is already wrote down.

For those who think that there were only 12, here's a list of the people in the New Testament that were called apostles:

1. Simon Peter (Mark 3:16)
  2. James son of Zebedee (Mark 3:17)
  3. John son of Zebedee
  4. Andrew (Mark 3:18)
  5. Philip (Mark 3:18)
  6. Bartholomew (Mark 3:18)
  7. Matthew (Mark 3:18)
  8. Thomas (Mark 3:18)
  9. James son of Alphaeus (Mark 3:18)
  10. Thaddaeus (Mark 3:18)
  11. Simon the Zealot (Mark 3:18)
  12. Judas Iscariot (Mark 3:19)
  13. Matthias (Acts 1:26)
  14. Barnabas (Acts 14:14)
  15. Paul (Acts 14:14)
  16. Andronicus (Rom. 16:7)
  17. Junia (Rom. 16:7)*
  18. James the Lord's brother (Gal. 1:19)
  19. Jesus (Heb. 3:1)

*Some translations add an S to Junia's name and make her a man. It seems that having a female apostle doesn't line up with the official theology of some denominations. Junia is the original version, and there was no suggestion that she was a man until at least the 11th century.

I thought apostle just meant to be a follower of Christ
and a prophet is a person who tells what God has told them before it happens

Both of them are valid for today ...

For those who think that there were only 12, here's a list of the people in the New Testament that were called apostles:

1. Simon Peter (Mark 3:16)
  2. James son of Zebedee (Mark 3:17)
  3. John son of Zebedee
  4. Andrew (Mark 3:18)
  5. Philip (Mark 3:18)
  6. Bartholomew (Mark 3:18)
  7. Matthew (Mark 3:18)
  8. Thomas (Mark 3:18)
  9. James son of Alphaeus (Mark 3:18)
  10. Thaddaeus (Mark 3:18)
  11. Simon the Zealot (Mark 3:18)
  12. Judas Iscariot (Mark 3:19)
  13. Matthias (Acts 1:26)
  14. Barnabas (Acts 14:14)
  15. Paul (Acts 14:14)
  16. Andronicus (Rom. 16:7)
  17. Junia (Rom. 16:7)*
  18. James the Lord's brother (Gal. 1:19)
  19. Jesus (Heb. 3:1)

*Some translations add an S to Junia's name and make her a man. It seems that having a female apostle doesn't line up with the official theology of some denominations. Junia is the original version, and there was no suggestion that she was a man until at least the 11th century.

Apostle means "Sent one" and the "12" Apostles were sent by Jesus, hence are called the Apostles of the Lamb. Apostles are also charged with the task of building, so their prime responsibility and charge is to build the Body of Christ.

The Office of Apostle is one of those things that isn't visible in the typical "Christian" church these days. Neither is the Office of Prophet. Before continuing and to avoid confusion, let us first review a couple quick verses and get the flavor of what is being spoken of:

2 Corinthians 12:12 KJV said:
Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.

Ephesians 2:19-22 KJV said:
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone]; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Ephesians 4:7-15 KJV said:
But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

That we [henceforth] be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, [and] cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, [even] Christ:

EschewEvil.jpg

Can there be Apostles and Prophets Today? :chin

:thumbsup Pardon, but Jesus Christ the Righteous is One Sent by God, our Apostle and He is the Very Word and Study and Will of God in Flesh - raised from the dead and alive and yes, even TODAY. Of course I know this is not what you meant to ask, but it is true none-the-less. I personally believe that the Author and Finisher of our Faith has sent these GIFTS (and others) to us, the Body of Christ, for a specific purpose. Apostles and Prophets are but two of our gifts from the bridegroom, the Lamb of God - and we are given them...
  • FOR the perfecting of the saints, [/B]
  • FOR the work of the ministry,
  • FOR the edifying of the body of Christ:
    Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man

Some may debate the thought of "coming unto a perfect man" but another quick look to Strong's concordance should lay that concern aside - "perfect" as as used can also mean "mature" or "brought unto completion".

[Amos 3:3 KJV] - [3] Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

Let us resolve to agree with God and Christ and WALK...

Come then, let us walk with the Lord.

And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: And Enoch walked with God: and he [was] not; for God took him.

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints...​

Meaning: 1) a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders

¤ PERFECT Greek: τέλειος, Transliteration: teleios, Pronunciation: te'-lā-os, adjective, Root Word (Etymology) From τέλος (Strong's G5056)

Meaning: 1) brought to its end, finished
2) wanting nothing necessary to completeness

This is something that has been on my mind for sometime now as well.

I don't have any proof myself that any exist and for me, i won't be totally convinced until I get it as well. You can't blame me, even the bible warns of false prophecy and said to test them.

Anyhow, there is this girl I know, a real good friend of mine and I know her quite well, she goes to a prophetic church. She once asked me if I believe in prophets, I said i'll believe one is if they tell me things and it happen. Well, I then ask her if that ever happened to her and she said yes, she was told things by prophets and it happened. I didn't go in detail and ask her what it was because this can be quite a touchy subject so i left it there. She also told me she once had a dream about her sister being in a car accident and it was to warn her sister. She said the sister got in the accident but got saved due to the awareness she gave her.

I know this girl for sometime now and she doesn't lie and I absolutely don't think she's delusional either so this here is convincing me a bit. If anything, this is the only thing i can accuse her of being delusional with.

I myself has had some dreams and the things have come true (notice me say some, not all). I have no clue whether it was coincidence or what. One example I can give is that i dreamt of this woman in church who has cheated on my uncle (well, so people say) and she was kind of shutting away the uncle family side. I always shake her hand in church and the facial expression from her were never joyful. A saturday night I dreamt she would be real nice the sunday and guess what, it happened, she had a bright smile.

Another dream I had sometime back was i was on a beach, in the waters, me and a girl and we were looking at each other in a loving way, then started to get on like boyfriend and girlfriends do but it was no more than that, when i tried to go the distance in the dream - just after that dream I told myself it seems like there is going to be a girl I am going to get all comfy with but we won't be official during that period. Turns out sometime (nearly 2 weeks to be precise) after, a girl i liked, she and me started doing everything a boyfriend and girlfriend do (talking long hours on phone, texting during work, going out) but we're actually not boyfriend and girlfriend. The thought flash back to me about the dream after these started happening.

Also, I had dreamt that me and the girl went out to a subway place and in the dream, i used the boss vehicle for me and her to go. She use to always tell me lets go subway (although at that time i never thought she really liked me so i thought was just as friends). Turns out, 2 days after, a night at work, we had to stay late and the boss sent us to go for our dinner. We went someplace first to check and there was nothing there that we wanted then she and i agreed to go subway. Back at work an hour or so later it came back to me what i dreamt. It made me raise my eyebrow.

As i said, i don't know whether it's coincidence or not.

Greetings and welcome to the forum, SKW. Thanks for your thoughts and story!
We hope to hear more from you.

~Sparrow

Hi there. You posted:

Here's an article that really helps clarify things:

Christian prophets today? Modern day apostles? Yes!

Blessings!
This is a outtake from posted link:

Ephesians 2:19-20 ...God’s people...[are] built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.

1. Apostles and prophets are the two foundational ministries in the body of Christ. I have great respect for dedicated evangelists, pastors and teachers. I am personally ordained to two of those three ministries — pastor and bible teacher. But the bible singles out prophets and apostles as the two ministries which, anchored to Jesus the Chief Cornerstone, undergird the Lord’s Church. All Christians are entitled to be built on this apostolic and prophetic foundation. And we will see later in this study that these are not just restricted to the early church’s apostles and the Old Testament prophets. They include contemporary, modern day prophets and apostles as well.

This is something I posted in a similar topic:

Lewis,

I'm not a bit proponent of the five fold ministry being valid for the Church today.

My reason in the passage below:

Eph 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
Eph 2:21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

The Bible shows us the apostles and prophets were the foundation of the church.

So unless we are still building the foundation some 2,000 years later, I too am a bit uncomfortable. :yes

I truly believe we are well past the foundation.
There comes a time when the building of the foundation must cease so the building of the Body can commence.

:yes

I have a friend who calls herself a apostle, and I have heard and seen many people call themselves prophets. Now I have always had a problem with them 2 terms, for people today. So tell me people what do you think about people calling themselves apostles & prophets today. So do these people have the RIGHT to call themselves Prophets & Apostles, in today's time ?

The gift of prophecy and the office of apostle is still in effect today. They have never been rescinded. They are roles that the Church needs, and Jesus is pleased to provide for her.

As for those who declare themselves as prophets and apostles, in keeping with the very difficult burden of bearing such gifts, if anyone should proclaim oneself an apostle or prophet, that person is most likely NOT. The proclamation of such gifted people is by others according to their fruit---not themselves.

These kinds of anointings are so burdensome and generate great trials in the lives of people so anointed that they choose to go about the business of fulfilling their calling with as little fanfare as possible...which is a sign that the anointing is genuine.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back