Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can you be saved without a priest?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
We the answer must be no, it sort of a trick question since Jesus is the savior and salvation and he is a priest, heb 7:17 and there can be no salvation without the savior.

It is indicative that Christ is an eternal priest and the office of priest is to offer sacrifice so he offers an eternal sacrifice.

And Christ is high priest heb 8:1 so there must be low priests of the same order who offer the same sacrifice.
Thanks

We the answer must be no, it sort of a trick question since Jesus is the savior and salvation and he is a priest, heb 7:17 and there can be no salvation without the savior.

It is indicative that Christ is an eternal priest and the office of priest is to offer sacrifice so he offers an eternal sacrifice.

And Christ is high priest heb 8:1 so there must be low priests of the same order who offer the same sacrifice.
Thanks
Oh, clever. :lol

This answer to the OP is obviously YES! Priests don't save anyone, only God saves.

Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God; it is not from works, so that no one can boast."

Well Jesus is the High Priest and through him is eternal life so I guess he is the Pries of Salvation. Not sure what other priests are needed claiming though them is Christs salvation.

Some humans believe without them you cannot be saved, but I just read the scriptures and as far as the scriptures go and the most trusted sources of the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, the bible itself, he and he alone is the way, the truth, and the life. No one else. Well they can try steal his glory and claim you need to go through for forgiveness or to be saved but that's not true in my belief.

So what is the point of having priests? Only Jesus can forgive. Saying man can forgive is blasphemy.
As in the other thread (What do I have to do to become Catholic?) you seem very quick to call out blasphemy.
I suggest you get the facts first before making such serious allegations.

As in the other thread (What do I have to do to become Catholic?) you seem very quick to call out blasphemy.
I suggest you get the facts first before making such serious allegations.
I don't think the other member knows what blasphemy means.

Yes, there is only one mediator between God and man Jesus. The gospel is Jesus died, buried, and rose again on the 3rd day. You say a prayer to God admitting you are a sinner, believe in your heart that he personally died for you, and call upon the name Jesus to save you. He will and his Holy Spirit indwells believers. Your name is written in the Lamb's book of life. You cannot earn your salvation when you accept Jesus you are born again.

So what is the point of having priests? Only Jesus can forgive. Saying man can forgive is blasphemy.
Where have we heard that argument before?

Matthew 9:1-8 ---> And getting into a boat he crossed over and came to his own city. And behold, some people brought to him a paralytic, lying on a bed. And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Take heart, my son; your sins are forgiven.” And behold, some of the scribes said to themselves, “This man is blaspheming.” But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil inyour hearts? For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins”—he then said to the paralytic—“Rise, pick up your bed and go home.” And he rose and went home. When the crowds saw it, they were afraid, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to men.

Now, fast forward to Easter. After His death and resurrection, on the evening of Easter, our Blessed Lord appeared to the Apostles and breathes on them. This is rather significant itself given it is only the second time in Scripture where God literally breathes onto man - the first being when He breathed life into Adam. When Jesus breathes on them, He imparts on them the Holy Ghost, and then gives them the authority to forgive sins. St. John records the event as follows...

"On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, 'Peace be with you.' When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, 'Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.' And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.'” (John 20:19-23)

The Church is an extension of the Incarnation. This is Christianity 101.

Jesus is our high priest and so yes
The Old Covenant foreshadows the New. Both have a high priest, consecrated priests to offer sacrifices in the temple, and the priesthood of all believers.

To call Jesus "high priest" presumes there are priests below Him. Otherwise, Scripture would call Him the "sole priest".

The Old Covenant foreshadows the New. Both have a high priest, consecrated priests to offer sacrifices in the temple, and the priesthood of all believers.

To call Jesus "high priest" presumes there are priests below Him. Otherwise, Scripture would call Him the "sole priest".
Hi W
Where you been?
Mungo and I wish you would come around more often.

So for those reading along...
Who does the forgiving,
The priest or God?

Yes, there is only one mediator between God and man Jesus. The gospel is Jesus died, buried, and rose again on the 3rd day. You say a prayer to God admitting you are a sinner, believe in your heart that he personally died for you, and call upon the name Jesus to save you. He will and his Holy Spirit indwells believers. Your name is written in the Lamb's book of life. You cannot earn your salvation when you accept Jesus you are born again.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I appreciate what you are saying here though I disagree with it.

However I want to make a point to everyone that, though your point is relevant to whether we can be saved without a priest, I will not allow this to divert into another baptism vs faith alone discussion.

So everyone please keep to the role of a priest.
Thanks

Last edited:
Back