Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Can You Recommend a Bible Study Plan for My GF and I (college age)?

My girlfriend and I have been dating for 9 months. We are both 20 and Sophomores at the same college. Last semester, we casually did the same bible reading plan but rarely talked about it. Every now and then we would remind each other to read, but we didn't discuss very much. We're trying to come up with a better plan for this semester and I was wondering what types of bible studies you would recommend for a dating couple in college? We've had (and are having) a lot of trouble staying sexually pure so would a bible study that relates that be good? She's also in a sorority and I'm in a suite with some non-christians so maybe one that targets outreach/being an example? I guess I'm wondering whether we should purchase a book to kind of guide our discussions (and if so what are some books you would recommend - I heard mere Christianity is good)..

Or whether we should just go through the New Testament 2 chapters per day (our church has an outlined plan for each day) and read it apart and remind each other to read?

Also, I'm wondering how in-depth we should go in our Bible studies and what the possible negative effects could be. I know it's bad to get TOO emotionally attached and I've heard that doing very in-depth bible studies can be an issue.

Thanks I'd really appreciate any advice on what plans you would recommend and whether or not we should just read it and talk surface level or get in-depth and really go through a plan that helps us think things through

Hi Roadblkx and welcome to the forums. To answer your last question first we should always dig deep into the word of God by allowing the Holy Spirit teach us all truths of Gods word.

Now for a good Bible study first the two of you need to decide what book and chapter you are going to read and before you begin pray and ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding of each verse you read. Do not leave that verse until you have understanding and then and only then move onto the next verse as when you have read the last verse in the chapter you have gained full knowledge of what the Holy Spirit is teaching you as you read. It would also be good if you could find or even start a Bible study group on campus as I'm sure there are other Christians that would love to be involved and that way each of you can uplift and edify each other in the word.

One more thing is that the two of you need to sit and discuss what you have read when you are reading separated from each other. Always set time for the Lord in your relationship and make him the center of all things and this will help the two of you to abstain.

Have you ever heard of observation, interpretation and application. It is way to read the bible for transformation. First read a chapter, then observe what is says. Next interpret in your own words what it is saying to you. Lastly apply it to your life. Ask God how it relates to you personally. This will bring up great discussions between the two of you.

I wrote a Post on How study the bible it takes an in depth look on the subject. Check it out!

Back