Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Chapters and Verses

Status
Not open for further replies.
See post #14, jaybo

And, please, don't insinuate that because someone disagrees with you that they're closed-minded and you're not.

See post #14, jaybo

And, please, don't insinuate that because someone disagrees with you that they're closed-minded and you're not.
See post #17. "Sorry, but I see this as leading the blind, being those who are yet young in the word and detrimental to their learning.

And post #19. "I only see you having a problem with all of this"

Clearly I'm not the one who is closed-minded.

See post #17. "Sorry, but I see this as leading the blind, being those who are yet young in the word and detrimental to their learning.

And post #19. "I only see you having a problem with all of this"

Clearly I'm not the one who is closed-minded.
Stop with the close-minded claims.

And, please, address post #14, as you have ignored it so far.

Stop with the close-minded claims.

And, please, address post #14, as you have ignored it so far.
If you want to indulge in personal attacks instead of addressing the thread's subject I will not discuss this with you any further and I won't respond to your hostile cross-examination.

Fallacious ad hominem reasoning occurs where the validity of an argument is not based on deduction or syllogism, but on an attribute of the person putting it forward. (wikipedia) Clearly this is what you are doing.

I have stated my position clearly and at length. Chapters and verses are non-Scriptural additions to God's word, the Bible. If you dispute that then there is no more discussion.

Last edited:
If you want to indulge in personal attacks instead of addressing the thread's subject I will not discuss this with you any further and I won't respond to your hostile cross-examination.
There has been no personal attack on my part. It is you claiming that others who disagree with you are closed-minded. Not only is that a personal attack, the other reason you need to stop is what I was implying previously, and demonstrated perfectly by you below.

I have stated my position clearly and at length. Chapters and verses are non-Scriptural additions to God's word, the Bible. If you dispute that then there is no more discussion.
Yes, but you haven't addressed my rebuttal to some of your points. This highlights the problem of you claiming only those who disagree with you are closed-minded, when you are not wanting to address rebuttals. Is it not being closed-minded when you think you're right and everyone else is wrong to the point where you won't even address points showing problems with your position and reasoning?

Oh well, maybe it's for the best. This is a thread that is going nowhere fast.

Violations of ToS 1.3 and 1.5--personal attack and trolling.
I stated Zondervan's position in depth in post #20. That is the subject under discussion, but clearly you can't or won't discuss it. The thread is going nowhere simply because you can't debate the subject.

All the time we see people quoting one verse out of context instead of the whole passage. Satan must love the custom.
Can't this be done anyway? Take out the added reference to book, chapter, and verse and the wording is still the same. The difference is that the listener would have an almost impossible task of finding where the wording came from in order to read it in context.

It's obvious that you don't understand that the format of any document is important. The structure of the work is a vital part of it. Look at the psalms versus one of Paul's epistles if you need proof.

Even though modern versions have included chapter and versus numbers for reference they have constructed the works in a manner that is appropriate for understanding the message.

1) There is no
2) advantage in breaking
3) up what someone has written
4) to make it more difficult
5) to understand.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you don't understand that the way an author's work is presented is important. You break up what you write into sentences and paragraphs. Why do you do that?
In a novel, the author breaks up the text into various chapters, paragraphs, a pages. In doing so, it can be relatively easy to reference a part of the work and then lead another to read it by giving them a reference such as chapter 3, paragraph 2, page 325.

b) the chapter and verse numbers are for reference only. They are not part of Scripture! Breaking up the text into this artificial division is a distortion of the writing!
I have never thought of the chapter and verse references to be anything but references. Without them, we'd have to memorize the entire Bible so if someone referenced or quoted Scripture we would know where to find it in order to verify what they said.

As far as book references are concerned, it is because the Bible is a collection of books or writings spanning thousands of years and never has been one document as we know documents. I suppose it could be argued that it is a single document inspired by God and penned over a a few thousand years through multiple writers.

I personally fail to see how the references distort the Scriptures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back