Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christ didn't recommend alcohol

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Just for the record... I never drink... not because I think it's sinful (it's not)... but because alcohol is one of the things that trigger migraines in me, along with chocolate and bright sunshine. So, I'm not coming at this with the idea of "justifying" anything... only because this is one of these things that man has created a burden to place upon others that the Bible is clearly OK with.

No it's not, because drinking alcohol is not a sin.

We are warned not to be drunk, but instead to be sober-minded. We are told not to lead a brother into sin - let's say it is not a Christ-like thing to drink a beer in front of your friend who attends AA.

I agree! As Christians we should also be careful with how much we drink says about our testimony. I know one church that a lot of the adults drink a lot, and sometimes to excess. But even though they do not always drink to excess and get drunk (though it is a sin even to get drunk once or twice) they are now known to some people as "the drinking church", which I don't think is a good testimony.

Ramble on the subject of drinking: I actually have a problem with the law about having to be 21 to drink. Not because I want to drink alcohol but because I think it is kinda crazy to say someone can't be trusted to have a glass of wine but they can die for their country in the military, can be tried as an adult in a court, etc. I think if they want to make 21 the age for drinking maybe they should do it for other things like being tried as an adult as well.

I choose to abstain, others choose different.

1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

I agree! As Christians we should also be careful with how much we drink says about our testimony. I know one church that a lot of the adults drink a lot, and sometimes to excess. But even though they do not always drink to excess and get drunk (though it is a sin even to get drunk once or twice) they are now known to some people as "the drinking church", which I don't think is a good testimony.

Ramble on the subject of drinking: I actually have a problem with the law about having to be 21 to drink. Not because I want to drink alcohol but because I think it is kinda crazy to say someone can't be trusted to have a glass of wine but they can die for their country in the military, can be tried as an adult in a court, etc. I think if they want to make 21 the age for drinking maybe they should do it for other things like being tried as an adult as well.

Rachel:

I know what you mean. (Fact is, some people your age wouldn't be as responsible as you are.) But I would tend to sympathize generally, although it's a state (or province in Canada) matter. A bit like the discrepancy in speed limits, I suppose. But I mean, you can get married at under 18 in many states, and, like you say, join the military, get tattoos (in Idaho you have to be 14, but in other states it's usually 18). So, yes, I can sympathize to some extent, even though like you I don't want to drink, either.

Blessings.

It didn't say it was alcohol.

I don't know what you mean by 'it' but take a look at the thread title and then at your words in the OP ;)

Classik said:
Some tell us we should drink in moderation. What quantity is moderate - and not in excess? It's like saying sin moderately. So now, about Christ and the Wedding in Cannan, did Christ turn water into a non alcoholic wine or did He turn water into an alcoholic wine? A priest is forbidden to take alcohol. If Christ was a priest or was seen as one...would He turn water into alcohol for people to consume???

Your words are pretty clear; that's why we all understood them.

Rachel:

I know what you mean. (Fact is, some people your age wouldn't be as responsible as you are.) But I would tend to sympathize generally, although it's a state (or province in Canada) matter. A bit like the discrepancy in speed limits, I suppose. But I mean, you can get married at under 18 in many states, and, like you say, join the military, get tattoos (in Idaho you have to be 14, but in other states it's usually 18). So, yes, I can sympathize to some extent, even though like you I don't want to drink, either.

Blessings.
I know others would not be as responcible (many people don't see a problem with getting drunk), but I think some of the laws, especially the one about being tried as an adult should be 21 because if 18 year olds are not old enough to make good decisions on drinking then how are they old enough to make good decisions in other areas of life? What if they stole some money? Should they be charged as an adult even though the government does not think they are enough of an adult to take responsibility for drinking? Well it is not that I choose not to drink alcohol, it is just that I can not yet. I am sure in the future when I am old enough occasionally I would have something like wine or champagne but probably not much and not often.

Rachel:

Blessings.

It use to be legal to drink and drive in New Hampshire but drunk driving accidents forced them to change that.

Their state motto: "Live free or die"

Drink folks.... I won't judge you, and Paul won't judge you, and neither will Jesus.

The problem with drinking is that if you do it too much, you are bound to make a fool of yourself. That ain't good, but you are covered by grace. Stupidity comes when you drink too much, sure.... But there are people who don't need to have a drop of booze to act stupid.

We have liberty, but not all things are expedient.

I see know what you mean. Where I live (in Australia) you can drink at 18. 18 is also the age to vote, to hold a credit card - the age that you're legally an adult. But at 16, you can drive, get your own health insurance, get married and legally have sex. Why the discrepancy? How come you can drive before you can drink or vote? 66% of of road accidents are caused by young drivers, but young drivers account for only about 16% of the cars on the road.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back