Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christian approach to entertainment?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Is there one? Before I became a Christian I was somewhat interested in old Hollywood. I read blonde nearly 20 years ago when it was a relatively new novel. And then…
By 25 my interest in mainstream media was basically dead. Horror movies 🎥 seemed more a potentially nightmare provoking experience than genuine entertainment. Tv 📺 was seeming more formulaic and also mean spirited. And novels…

Seemed to focus on the upper classes and even then they lost their power to entertain me. So…

I got genuinely saved at age 28 over 11 years ago now. I don’t generally read novels. Now and then I’ll skim short stories. I don’t like to watch most network tv 📺 except game shows lol 😆 oh and bob ross.

I don’t claim to have the official Christian answer to mainstream media etc but I do think 🤔 that now my faith informs my choices to a greater extent. Guard your heart ❤️

How has your faith affected how you deal with entertainment?

Thanks 😊

Is there one? Before I became a Christian I was somewhat interested in old Hollywood. I read blonde nearly 20 years ago when it was a relatively new novel. And then…
By 25 my interest in mainstream media was basically dead. Horror movies 🎥 seemed more a potentially nightmare provoking experience than genuine entertainment. Tv 📺 was seeming more formulaic and also mean spirited. And novels…

Seemed to focus on the upper classes and even then they lost their power to entertain me. So…

I got genuinely saved at age 28 over 11 years ago now. I don’t generally read novels. Now and then I’ll skim short stories. I don’t like to watch most network tv 📺 except game shows lol 😆 oh and bob ross.

I don’t claim to have the official Christian answer to mainstream media etc but I do think 🤔 that now my faith informs my choices to a greater extent. Guard your heart ❤️

How has your faith affected how you deal with entertainment?

Thanks 😊
Yes, because of my faith, I find most entertainment on TV, even some old stuff (like 70's reruns on freevee or something lol) and for certain new stuff rather silly. Older stuff at least had "some" morality in it with good points and there was no need then to push everything politically - strange new "lifestyles" or political agendas were not pushed as much. Nevertheless, it was still worldly and as I grow in Christ I find even a lot of that foolish now and frankly, I have zero interest in any of it. It's boring as well as wicked a lot of times.

Here's what I do with the Internet. I, 1) mostly go on forums like these, or at least read them, 2) I read alternate news media and if you note, many of these conservative sites now are getting spiritual and mention God and morality at least. 3) I do go on Facebook, but I mostly watch videos about science, I like the trades such as electrical work and even airplanes taking off and landing, and animal antics are always cute. Being a math person I also comment on math problems - one mathematics teacher from over the pond in the isles said I "made his day" with positive comments. But I rarely post on my own timeline. Lastly, I use the Internet for business but THE MOST IMPORTANT USE I have is I listen to the New King James Bible in my daily devotions and at present I am comparing translations by reading along to the regular KJV Bible in my daily devotions. Like the Old Testament, I offer 2 sacrifices daily - not by killing an animal on an altar, but by having devotions twice - one in the morning and one in the evening. It's refreshing and I adopted a Bible reading plan that I can easily read the whole thing in about 8.5 months (260 days to be exact - i.e. one New Testament chapter daily as there's 260 chapters in the NT, and 3+ average daily of the Old Testament).

As for music, I downloaded the free CBN radio app which has a whole array of Christian music genre including contemporary, praise, country western, classical and so forth. I you have Bluetooth speakers like I do, it effectively becomes a high-fidelity audio system to play Christian music (no need for the old fashioned 'stereo system' lol). This is all the entertainment I have. As for TV, well, not much. My wife does the TV watching. Like I said, I watch some decent videos on the Internet for entertainment.

I lean…I guess left politically. But not really? Because I’m all about social programs and such…not big on other things everyone on the left apparently must accept…or else lol 😆

But yeah…alternative news, left wing in my case. I’m still listening to secular music 🎵 but it’s mostly reruns of stuff stuck in my head. A lot of it is old…talking heads T. rex cream ramones etc.

I obviously post here a lot and I’m thankful 😌 for the forum. I dabble in online devotionals…it’s difficult for me to find material that is uplifting edifying and challenging all at the same time so I look 👀 around at different places. Mostly it seems to be our daily bread 🥖 and then some sort of reformed material.

I’m thankful 🙏 that I don’t have to do social media. I don’t have to so I don’t lol 😆.

Critical psychiatry/antipsychiatry was somewhat helpful and challenging…until it wasn’t. Honestly now it’s so dominated by the experts with credentials 🪪 I’m all but over it 😠.

Thanks for your input btw.

I like reading about old Hollywood,it's a rabbit hole,it is where alot of power,money,and influence was/is,intertwined with Washington D.C.Im starting to find out that reading about Hollywood is more interesting than consuming what it has produced.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back