Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christianity vs. Culture

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lady Terra

Americans find themselves in a diverse, pluralistic culture. Such a question leads us to another: How is a Christian supposed to respond to such conditions? Or, how should we deal with the culture that surrounds us?

I dealt with this issue in my personal walk this past two weeks. I offended a group of persons on an outing. (My birthday) What was so wrong in their eyes was not even a sin to me? They accused me of having some type of motive. The word of God tells me to go to my offended brother and make peace with him. I plan to go apologize to each person I offended. Now, I feel awkward to be around the persons who judged me.

Church history demonstrates that one of the constant struggles of Christianity, both individually and corporately, is with culture. Where should we stand? Inside the culture? Outside? Ignore it? Isolate ourselves from it? Should we try to transform it?

We must be cautious of incorrect distinctions between the public and private. We must also influence culture with the "facts" of Christianity. This is our responsibility. I made the mistake of not recognizing that the individuals I was spending a birthday dinner with were not close family or friends. For the most part they are still strangers. Neither I, nor them know each other very well.

Last edited:
Like you stated - a constant strugglehttp://www3.telus.net/trbrooks/ALivingSacrifice.pdf of Christianity is with culture - and so far "Christianity" has failed (like Paul said it would),
except for a few. ( how many survived the FLOOD? or sodom and gMark 8:15 or the deception of the harlot in Revelation? (not many) ) i.e. the outlook for most of mankind/society/men is death. even after 1/3 of mankind is dead from disease, pestilence, war, famine ..... the remaining 2/3 don't even think of calling on God for help ! (checking for ref now, in Revelation)(follows in next post)

Expanded Bible (EXB)

15 Jesus warned them, “·Be careful [Watch out]! Beware of the ·yeast [leaven] of the Pharisees and the ·yeast [leaven] of Herod [C yeast or leaven refers here to the dangerous permeating power of their influence].”Mark 8:15

Expanded Bible (EXB)

15 Jesus warned them, “·Be careful [Watch out]! Beware of the ·yeast [leaven] of the Pharisees and the ·yeast [leaven] of Herod [C yeast or leaven refers here to the dangerous permeating power of their influence].”omorrah? )

2 Peter 2:4-8
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

4 For God did not spare the angels who sinned; on the contrary, he put them in gloomy dungeons lower than Sh’ol to be held for judgment. 5 And he did not spare the ancient world; on the contrary, he preserved Noach, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, and brought the Flood upon a world of ungodly people. 6 And he condemned the cities of S’dom and ‘Amora, reducing them to ashes and ruin, as a warning to those in the future who would live ungodly lives; 7 but he rescued Lot, a righteous man who was distressed by the debauchery of those unprincipled people; 8 for the wicked deeds which that righteous man saw and heard, as he lived among them, tormented his righteous heart day after day. "

the world /society/ mankind is already judged. its end is determined and sure. as God has Decreed, as it is written.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two different notifications :

Amplified Bible (AMP)

13 Let love for your fellow believers continue and be a fixed practice with you [never let it fail].

2 Do not forget or neglect or refuse to extend hospitality to strangers [in the brotherhood—being friendly, cordial, and gracious, sharing the comforts of your home and doing your part generously], for through it some have entertained angels without knowing it.

3 Remember those who are in prison as if you were their fellow prisoner, and those who are ill-treated, since you also are liable to bodily sufferings.

4 Let marriage be held in honor (esteemed worthy, precious, of great price, and especially dear) in all things. And thus let the marriage bed be undefiled (kept undishonored); for God will judge and punish the unchaste [all guilty of sexual vice] and adulterous.

5 Let your [a]character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor [c]give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [d][I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor [e]let [you] down ([f]relax My hold on you)! [[g]Assuredly not!]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
6 So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper; I will not be seized with alarm [I will not fear or dread or be terrified]. What can man do to me?
7 Remember your leaders and superiors in authority [for it was they] who brought to you the Word of God. Observe attentively and consider their manner of living (the outcome of their well-spent lives) and imitate their faith ([h]their conviction that God exists and is the Creator and Ruler of all things, the Provider and Bestower of eternal salvation through Christ, and their leaning of the entire human personality on God in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness).
8 Jesus Christ (the Messiah) is [always] the same, yesterday, today, [yes] and forever (to the ages).
9 Do not be carried about by different and varied and alien teachings;

________________________________________________________________________________
(differences between society and believers very obvious)

Revelation 9 Amplified Bible at Biblegateway 18 A third

of mankind was killed by these three plagues—by the fire and the smoke and the sulphur (brimstone) that poured from the mouths of the horses.

19 For the power of the horses to do harm is in their mouths and also in their tails. Their tails are like serpents, for they have heads, and it is by means of them that they wound people.

20 And the rest of humanity who were not killed by these plagues even then did not repent of [the worship of] the works of their [own] hands, so as to cease paying homage to the demons and idols of gold and silver and bronze and stone and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor move.

21 And they did not repent of their murders or their practice of magic (sorceries) or their sexual vice or their thefts.

I think Christians should be participating in culture and trying to contribute positive things to it. It's fine to have our own little subculture bubble, but if we stay in it then I don't think that's going to do much good.

We are told to be mindful of our actions and not to let our liberty trip others up. Most famous passage on that would be Romans 14.

When it comes down to a social culture that dictates how one should or should not act then I say beware that you are not drawn into things that do not line up with scripture as to how we are to conduct ourselves in this world, but also do not become a stumblingblock to those who have no knowledge.

1Co 8:7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
1Co 8:8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
1Cor 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

I learned that no matter what I do, there is persons that judge me. Some people hate me for no good reason and others love me and I don't feel like I merited or earned their favor. I sometimes have to remember the source. Usually, I would just retract and avoid someone in the indecent that occurred but, they are a close friend to my boyfriend and they work within the realm of my employment. I don't think the individual understands that when you squeeze tooth paste out the tube, you can not put it back in easily. What is done is done.

Jesus said this....
Mat 16:18 `And I also say to thee, that thou art a rock, and upon this rock I will build my assembly, and gates of Hades shall not prevail against it; :)

Disciples of Christ are verbal and visible followers of our Lord Jesus Christ. We are not luke warm. The scriptures says this, "Therefore, Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you 2 Corinthians 6:17 NIV." Not under any circumstances do we agree or compromise the word of God over the worlds (mans point of view) point of view. If you do this you have made the Cross of Christ in your life void.

Americans find themselves in a diverse, pluralistic culture. Such a question leads us to another: How is a Christian supposed to respond to such conditions? Or, how should we deal with the culture that surrounds us?

I dealt with this issue in my personal walk this past two weeks. I offended a group of persons on an outing. (My birthday) What was so wrong in their eyes was not even a sin to me? They accused me of having some type of motive. The word of God tells me to go to my offended brother and make peace with him. I plan to go apologize to each person I offended. Now, I feel awkward to be around the persons who judged me.

Church history demonstrates that one of the constant struggles of Christianity, both individually and corporately, is with culture. Where should we stand? Inside the culture? Outside? Ignore it? Isolate ourselves from it? Should we try to transform it?

We must be cautious of incorrect distinctions between the public and private. We must also influence culture with the "facts" of Christianity. This is our responsibility. I made the mistake of not recognizing that the individuals I was spending a birthday dinner with were not close family or friends. For the most part they are still strangers. Neither I, nor them know each other very well.
This sounds like one of those us and them threads, sorry I want no part of this.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back